Forums

Topic: Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Posts 6,741 to 6,760 of 6,820

Beedrill4Smash

I do NOT think Smash has too many sword fighters.

Smash has 12 of them, 14 if you count Pit and Dark Pit, and I just don't see what the big deal is.

EDIT: I'm unsure as to how much this sentiment is still relevant. Either way, I've always thought the number of sword fighters was fine.

Edited on by Beedrill4Smash

Beedrill4Smash

HappyAxiom

Beedrill4Smash wrote:

I do NOT think Smash has too many sword fighters.

Smash has 12 of them, 14 if you count Pit and Dark Pit, and I just don't see what the big deal is.

EDIT: I'm unsure as to how much this sentiment is still relevant. Either way, I've always thought the number of sword fighters was fine.

I never had any problems with it either. Most of them play very differently from each other, so it's perfectly fine to me. I find the notion that it's OK to have 30+ fist fighters but it's not OK to have a dozen or so sword fighters completely ridiculous.

BTW, Ganondorf desperately needs a sword as well.

HappyAxiom

Snaplocket

@kkslider5552000 I liked 3D World more then Rayman Legends and thought it used the gamepad very well.

@HappyAxiom Most people (myself included) still tend to think the original Genesis games (and Sonic Mania) are fantastic but there aren't a whole of fans for almost everything afterwards. Even arguably really good games like the Adventure series, the Rush series, and the Sonic Advance series. The only Sonic games you see people say they like besides the originals are the boost formula games (bar Sonic Forces albeit for very justified reasons). Which is ironic, because I find Unleashed, Generations, and Colors to be pretty overrated. Thought the Adventure games were better honestly. Even games like Heroes, Rivals, Secret Rings, and the Sonic 4 games are considered godawful when in reality they range from average to semidecent. Add that to the fact that Sonic HAS been in some of the legit worst games of all time (Sonic 2006, Shadow the Hedgehog, Sonic Boom Rise of Lyric) and starts to become pretty clear why some people really hate Sonic. Sonic Forces was released in 2017, widely considered one of the best years in gaming, and it was mediocre at best, making most "worst games of 2017" lists.

Sorry about the info dump but since I was a huge Sonic fan (and Sonic Mania managed to rekindle some of my interest) I felt the need to get off my chest why people dislike Sonic and why saying they never liked Sonic became a thing.

PS: You guys do know most fighting games only have one or two weapon users and there are tons of different unarmed fighting styles. Something that doesn't really apply to sword users since most of them use generic one-handed blades. Only like 6 guys actually use their fists and only for one or two attacks. (most of the sword users have fist attacks too)

Edited on by Snaplocket

Switch FC: SW-0930-5375-7512
3ds FC: 3539-8977-1109

Aaron09

Tomb Raider > Uncharted.

Aaron09

CreamyDream

@kkslider5552000 I actually really disliked those touch screen levels in Rayman Legends where I just had to wait for the AI to move, while I use the touch screen. I did play it in coop, and of course it vastly improves those levels, but it really dampens the replayability to make it so boring in singleplayer.

Anyway, I just finished Kirby Star Allies. The game's reception seems very mixed, so I have no idea how popular or unpopular my opinion of it will be; but I figured it's divisive enough since the reviews range from 4s to 9s.

Kirby Star Allies is amazing and totally worth the $60. It's too early for me to say where it stands in comparison to other games in the series, but it's surely one of the better ones.
Firstly, like almost any Kirby game, Star Allies just oozes quality. Everything about it feels so masterfully crafted, and everything feels so right.
The Ally "gimmick" (or whatever you want to call it) is the best gimmick of the entire reboot series (RtDL, Triple Deluxe, and Robobot).
It's the most organic extension of Kirby's abilities yet, and it fixes one of the biggest issues I've had with some of the previous games. Before, in games like Crystal Shards and Squeak Squad (I use those two as examples because they do it the worst), to get certain secrets you need very specific powerups. This becomes a problem when it constrains the player to sticking to those specific powerups rather than having the freedom to play with whatever power they want.
For example, if a puzzle in Star Allies requires you to have fire and some cutting ability, it doesn't matter, because it's very easy for you to have an ally or two that has the right abilities already (and if you don't, the game will hand them to you). You can play with whatever power you want the entire game, and leave the contextual power puzzles up to your allies.
This allows for the most freedom of choice than any Kirby game before it, and it makes for the most engaging coop experience as well (if you care about that stuff). This, coupled with simply how much fun each power is to use, makes Star Allies' core gameplay some of the strongest in the whole series.

... It most certainly isn't perfect though.

The two most notable flaws are that
1) Content-wise, it's simply a step-down from Return to Dreamland.
2) The game reuses bosses more than it should, which is very notable in an already short game.

There are a few more little things than just that, like some levels are more well designed than others imo, and the puzzle pieces are simply not rewarding collectibles but it's all really good stuff, and I had a blast from beginning to end.

I feel that those complaining about its difficulty or simple level designs simply don't fully understand the appeal of Kirby to begin with. It delivers on just about everything it sets out to do. It's a great game.

Edit: It's worth noting, if you never liked Kirby, this game won't change your mind at all. It's very much for Kirby fans or people who haven't played a Kirby game before.

Edited on by CreamyDream

CreamyDream

CreamyDream

Octane wrote:

@Aaron09 Pizza > Uncharted

Well, that just isnt fair. Pizza is better than videogames in general unless youre a celiac or something

CreamyDream

TheLZdragon

Umbreon > Vaporeon

Nintendo Life Community Administrator

Splatoon 2 Rank: Splat S+, Rain S, Tower S

My Eeveeloggery

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | 3DS Friend Code: 2234-7139-4188 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

CreamyDream

TheLZdragon wrote:

Umbreon > Vaporeon

ya made me chuckle there as i just noticed we both have eveelution avatars.

im gonna be honest with you, i dont think ive ever done a playthrough of a pokemon game with umbreon in my party. Never really tried it out.

CreamyDream

Meowpheel

You've never played Colosseum, obviously.

Meowph, that's right!

Oh look! A Morphloggery.
Oh! eShop Gurus.

3DS Friend Code: 0173-1330-0080 | My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

CreamyDream

@Meowpheel oh yea, i actually have. Thanks for reminding me.
I barely remember that though...

CreamyDream

Dogorilla

@CreamyDream How long did it take you to finish Star Allies? I'd like to play it but I wasn't sure if it would be long enough to justify paying full price for.

Dogorilla

Mana_Knight

I like Sonic Boom.
Not a joke. I accept its faults. The music isn't great, the ending is terrible, Sonic could be faster and I wish Knuckles could glide, but I found great enjoyment in it. I enjoyed walking around the tranquil environments and just had fun with it. No way near as bad as everyone makes it out.

Mana_Knight

DanteSolablood

Pokémon Colosseum & Gales of Darkness were crimes against Pokémon and I hope Pokémon Switch doesn't turn out that bad. Seriously, both games were boring slogs with limited battling & they were just... plain... ugly. Now Gamefreak's main team are working on the Switch version I have some hope, but if we get another Colosseum i'm out.

Danté: Old, cool & wise (the latter two are lies)
3DS FC: 1461-6243-5395
Switch FC: SW-4146-5915-6308
"Friendship is rare, hand me that shotgun buddy, hand me that chair."

Twitter:

CreamyDream

@Dogorilla about 6-8 hours for the Main Story if youre good at platformers. Add about 2-3 hours if you care about the Extras like True Arena and another mode you unlock after you beat the game which is really cool imo.

It's more substantial than most 2D platformers and you can get even more mileage out of it if you like coop.

It's definitely a game I'll be revisiting a lot. (But I usually revisit most of my games more than once)

Edit: If youve played the 3DS Kirby games, expect just about the same amount of content as those. It's not as long as Return to Dreamland.

If you dont already love Kirby, then you probably wont feel that your $60 was well spent from Star Allies. If youre a Kirby fan, youll be more than satisfied with it.

Edited on by CreamyDream

CreamyDream

Dogorilla

@CreamyDream Thanks. I think I'll wait for the price to go down a little before I get it because I don't tend to revisit games much once I've finished them. I haven't played the 3DS Kirby games (though I keep meaning to pick them up one day), but I've played a few older ones and I like them, just not as much as Mario, Rayman, etc.

Dogorilla

CreamyDream

@Dogorilla if youre itching to try em out, both Triple Deluxe and Planet Robobot are really safe purchases that are 100% worth it for any fan of platformers.

I think you can get TD for like $20 now; Planet Robobot is more expensive but it's also the better game.

I highly recommend both

CreamyDream

Tiefseemiez

I could not stand Bravely Default.
The artstyle was beautiful, the music was good, the themes of the worlds were rather standard, the story was lazy and boring and the characters were painfully cliché and plain and dumb.
The gameplay was alright, not revolutionary, but fun. Even though I found the "dungeons" really bland aswell, especially because you tried to explore them, but hardly were ever rewarded. Exploration thus became a chore.
I really wanted to like the game, but just had to stop because of the story and characters in the middle of it and never returned.
Since I played that game and recognised how loved it is, I am avoiding Square-Enix-RPGs. Even though they all look appealing. But Bravely Default was just sooo cheesy.

Never want to come down, never want to put my feet back down on the ground.

MisterPi

I agree that playing the first BD was enough for me, I have no desire to start BS (heh). I also felt like there were only very specific jobs that you pretty much needed to defeat certain bosses. And obviously that whole repeat thing.

Though it could be argued that the cliche writing/setting/battle type were intentional. After all, it was a game designed to see if people still liked classic JRPG type games. It succeeded, so I think something like Octopath Traveler will be an evolution of it in terms of writing. I hope so, at least.

MisterPi

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic