Forums

Topic: Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Posts 6,721 to 6,740 of 6,875

EvilLucario

@GyroZeppeli It can be for every game except for strategy/simulation games which are best on PC and rarely on consoles anyway. With Steam's built-in features, you can map the keyboard on your controllers so something like WASD can be on the D-Pad, E on A, etc.

Metroid, Xenoblade, EarthBound shill

I run a YouTube/Twitch channel for fun. Check me out if you want to!

Please let me know before you send me a FC request, thanks.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

Ralizah

It's also worth mentioning that, if you can get used to it, you can play even strategy/sim games with a Steam controller.

Ralizah

NEStalgia

@Ralizah Once you get used to it you can also perform your own acupuncture. It's a similarly pleasant experience.

NEStalgia

Ralizah

@NEStalgia Some people really like it. I didn't, but then, I don't really want to play sim games on a pad.

It's an extremely innovative controller, though.

Ralizah

SamusLv7

GyroZeppeli wrote:

A sequel to Donkey Kong 64 would be much better than a new Country Returns game.

Agreed. I like Donkey Kong 64 and have never had an issue with backtracking to change the Kongs. I even liked the idea that every Kong has their own color of collectibles.

SamusLv7

Tarolusa

IMO, Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is vastly superior to Octopath Traveler. While XB2 has some notable flaws (lots of side missions being tedious grind fests, VERY cutscene heavy during certain segments of the game and a fairly unimpressive start), I've managed to sink in over 100 hours into that game and I'm currently extremely invested in it. Octopath Traveler on the other hand I was bored stiff with by the 30 hour mark and just gave up on it. Barring Primrose and her story, none of the other characters and their stories were engaging to me in the slighest and while the combat was pretty good for some reason it couldn't fully grab me like Bravely Default's did.

Tarolusa

J-Plap

Mario Odyssey is way overrated.

J-Plap

Tyranexx

I prefer Super Mario Galaxy over Galaxy 2. The former had more of a story, the space hub that the Lumas lived on was more engaging than the traveling Mario-shaped planet in 2, and Rosalina in general is a wonderful character. I much prefer her over Peach TBH.

That's not to say that the second game isn't decent, but it felt a little too much like the first game in terms of what happened.

Video Corner: The Terrible Truth About Smash Bros.
Currently playing: Bravely Second: End Layer, any platformer on the SNES Classic

Nintendo Network ID: Zelda_By_Night

Buizel

Some thoughts on 3D platformers:

• I think Mario 64 was outdone the second Mario Sunshine came out. Despite this, I understand the demand for a "Mario 128" - we didn't really get a Mario game in the spirit of 64 until Odyssey 20 years later.
  • I find Spyro trilogy and Jak and Daxter to be more enjoyable collectathons than Banjo Kazooie, which feels clunky in comparison.
  • I don't think Yooka Laylee is a bad game. Flawed? Yes. But still fun.

Currently playing: Pokemon White (DS), Persona 4 Golden (PSVita), Transistor (Switch)

Ralizah

@Buizel I don't really get this opinion on Odyssey. Structurally, it's nothing like previous Mario games. It's more of a collectathon, like Banjo-Kazooie. It's the 3D Mario that's least like 64, imo.

@Blitzenexx The "level pack" feel of Galaxy 2, the way you progress from Galaxy to Galaxy, the way Yoshi controls, the lack of a story, and the lack of atmosphere (compared to the original, which felt whimsical and magical but also slightly melancholy) all made me like that one much less than the original.

Of course, as has been said, it's still a good game.

Edited on by Ralizah

Ralizah

sikthvash

Mario Sunshine remains my least favourite Mario game of all time. I just could not get into it; it felt like too much busy work and not an ounce of fun.
Apart from a couple of tracks, I thought Mario Kart Double Dash was garbage.

sikthvash

Nintendo Network ID: sikthvash

ThatNyteDaez

Pokemon X and Y were the best Generation of Pokemon games yet.

Pokemon as a whole also does not need a complete rehaul to succeed/survive as people keep saying. Its fine as is and you're just getting bored of Pokemon as a whole if you think otherwise. Its the biggest IP world-wide and it's too late to stop that fact.

Never take anything I say seriously. S'all you buddy. ;)
Mainly play on my Switch but I have 3DS, Wii U and PS4 as well.
Fave game series include: Pokemon, Smash Bros, Splatoon, Disgaea, Bayonetta, Dragons Dogma, Phantasy Star & Arena of Valor.

Switch Friend Code: SW-1089-6841-7799 | 3DS Friend Code: 5455-9887-9271 | My Nintendo: ThatNyteDaez | Nintendo Network ID: Rhydas | Twitter:

Anti-Matter

Dance Dance Revolution series is the BEST rhythm games for me than Just Dance series. Just Dance is for Casual gamers with recently popular licensed songs with some retro twist and less Challenges, but Dance Dance Revolution is for Beginner until Master with stepcharts from Easy Peasy Lemon Squeezy until really intense stepchart on Challenge difficuly Bosses songs.

Just Dance = BLAH 👎
Dance Dance Revolution = AWESOME 👍👍👍

My Top 6 games :
1. Dance Dance Revolution series (100)
2. Dragon Quest Builders 2 PS4/Switch (95)
3. The Sims 4 PS4 + All contents (93)
4. Portal Knights PS4 (90)
5. Final Fantasy VIII PS1 (90)
6. Animal Crossing New Leaf: Welcome Amiibo 3DS (89)

Switch Friend Code: SW-8364-7166-5608 | 3DS Friend Code: 2638-4872-0879 | Nintendo Network ID: TAGunderground

1UP_MARIO

Super Mario 64 is my favourite 3d Mario game and I still play this at least once a year. Mario controls quick and tight and his long jump and belly dives are a beast to use

Super Mario Galaxy 2 had great ideas and great levels including ultimate challenge.

Super Mario oddyssey. Great ideas with great levels but more of a collector like banjo kazooie. Mario belly flop is back but his jumps feel heavy

Super Mario 3d land. The best final boss battle in a mario game. Also great final special challenge

Super Mario Galaxy. Came before but 2 was better in every way including level designs. Mario was slow in galaxy games but first Mario game with 60 fps and looked beautiful.

Super Mario sunshine. Enjoyed this but stages were near all open with not much platforming other than the special warp stages. Mario controlled great and fludd helped a lot

Super Mario 64ds. Played once and still have but always play and choose 64 over this.

We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5229-5058-9308

ReaderRagfish

Super Mario 64 is still my favorite 3D Mario. The controls are tight and flexible once you get a feel for them, the levels are fun, and overall it's just a fun time. Recently I used this game to test a repair on some of my N64 controllers, and I just didn't want to turn it off even after I knew the controllers worked.

I loved DK64 when I was younger and collectathons were my favorite genre. People nowadays often say that it's just too big for its own good, and I might agree with them now that I'm not as big into these types of games, but at the time it was like heaven, I was addicted to exploring the huge levels and seeing what I could find. It was like a huge scavenger hunt, and I didn't stop until completing it 101%.

I think Spyro is alright. It's good (especially 2 and 3), but the games never really made much of an impact on me after playing Mario 64, Banjo Kazooie/Tooie, DK64, and all those other great collectathons. I can see them being amazing to someone who never owned an N64 though.

Love Crash Bandicoot. It's the opposite of stuff like Mario 64 and Spyro in that there's zero openness. It feels like a 3D version of Donkey Kong Country, with a focus on linear platforming and lots of bouncy jumps.

Still waiting for Atlus to make Snowboard Kids 3

NEStalgia

@Ralizah 64 was still a collect-a-thon though. More limited in it's collectables, but same spirit. Odyssey to me feels perfectly like 64, though I actually like Odyssey and find 64 to be a meh product of it's time.

People seem to miss that melancholy about Galaxy. Indeed when I think of Galaxy I think about Rosalina's ship, and the waltz music that slowly but surely grew additional layers as you powered up areas. I have mixed feelings about that melancholy tone, but I can say it made it special and memorable. Possibly the most memorable Mario experience I'll ever have outside SMB1, 2, 3, and World defining gaming for me. It was truly special in every way. And Galaxy 2....I agree....was just kinda there. It had no tone at all.

NEStalgia

MysticGengar

I like switch online.
'Nuff said.

Nice >:]

I do stupid stuff on youtube.com/mysticbros, so check it out if your bored or whatever.
Or don't, it's your time after all.

Beedrill4Smash

I don't see what exactly makes people madly in love with DK Tropical Freeze. Sure, it's a good game, but I don't get what makes it one of the best 2d platformers ever made to so many people.

Beedrill4Smash

Ralizah

@NEStalgia I disagree. Aside from the odd hidden star, Mario 64 was built around completing a set of missions that rewarded you for completing said missions. It just happened to use stars to structure the experience a bit.

Mario Odyssey has some of that (there are several moons you collect as a result of clearing a stage or a set of challenges), but, at bottom, the game is about accumulating stuff throughout the levels. Moons and purple coins, primarily. The level design, game flow, diversity of environmental puzzles, and focus on constantly discovering and obtaining things makes it feel a lot more like Banjo-Kazooie than a 3D Mario game, imo.

As to Galaxy: when I think of the game, besides the gloriously good visual design, I think of the music (a mix of playful, grandiose, and somber, depending on the track), Rosalina's gradually unfolding backstory via the storybook (perhaps the only time I've ever seen the reality of death acknowledged in any way in a Mario game), and the surprisingly brilliant and intense climax. You're right: the unique atmosphere created as a result of these design choices absolutely makes it stand out from every other game in the series.

@Beedrill4Smash Amazing music. Really, really good level design. Challenging bosses. A flawless presentation. Tight controls. Ann addictive structure that encourages me to play through the same levels over and over and explore their secrets. It has pretty much everything I could ever want in a 2D side-scrolling platformer.

With that said, I feel the same way about the SNES DKC games as you do about Tropical Freeze. They're good platformers, and I can see why people like them, but there's nothing about them that really stands out to me as being particularly good beyond the music and the (at the time) impressive visual design. And even in terms of the visuals, I don't think they've aged nearly as well as something like Yoshi's Island or even Super Mario World.

Edited on by Ralizah

Ralizah

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic