Forums

Topic: Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Posts 6,721 to 6,740 of 12,088

ToonStuff

Sonic Lost World is actually a pretty decent game, just not a good Sonic game

Playin’ Persona 3 Portable, Pokemon White 2, and something else, probably

Swiftstorm

@Dogorilla I get excited for remasters because the portable nature of Switch let's me play more often. But also because I no longer own older consoles (PS4 Pro and Switch currently) and love having a huge game collection on one card. Admittedly when I got Skyrim again I felt like an idiot. 100+ hours later I'm happy I got it again on Switch.

Anyways to keep to the topic. BoTW. I hate the weapon system and the game always annoy the crap out if me...

Swiftstorm

SomeBitTripFan

I'm mixed on Hollow Knight, it was compelling enough that I pretty much played through the main campaign in about 3 days, but was nowhere near as in-your-face-love-it as most people seem to be for the game. Room design was a little too simplistic and samey throughout certain areas and it felt less like exploring and more like unlocking shortcuts and paths after completing more specific challenges. Boss fights are mostly good, but mostly on the too-easy side of things until you hit late-game and dream bosses (I played through the game with maybe one or two nail upgrades iirc, then pumped after loosing to the true final boss once, but it's a joke with full upgrades). I did go into the game with a lot of knowledge of it and high expectations though, so that might be part of my problem. There are a lot of other Metroidvanias I'd play before it though.

The DLC is good, probably due to the focus on boss fights, but is also way harder than most of the base game and there should have been a better transition to those fights. Nightmare King Grimm is probably the biggest offender, even though I still somewhat like the fight, despite how repetitive it gets. Godseeker is the best and worst of the game. Access to the boss fights and the bindings are good features and a lot of the harder variants are fun, but the way it backloads the game has made it so I doubt I'll be going back to the game for a long time.

Unpopular Game Opinion: A Link Between Worlds wasn't bad, but the non-sequential dungeon design heavily homogenized the entire game to a fault. At the very least, between reusing the overworld from ALttP and making the dungeons only need to be designed for one item, it's a low effort title in the series and doesn't have much to stand on its own with (with the major exception of Mother Maimai's theme).

Edited on by SomeBitTripFan

Just Someloggery
You have the right to disagree with me and the ability to consider anything valid that I say; Please exercise both.

Nintendo Network ID: SomeBitTripFan

Dogorilla

@Swiftstorm That's fair enough. I can definitely understand a lot of the reasons why people would want to play remasters of games they've already played, I just find it a bit odd when people get very excited about them even if they still have the original game with nothing stopping them from replaying it. Nothing wrong with it, of course, I just don't really get it.

"Remember, Funky's the Monkey!"

Funky Kong

Swiftstorm

@Dogorilla I don't even think we always get why a re-release is exciting ourselves 😅 That said, I think it is just a hope to relieve some of that joy we had the first time around. And somehow the release is part if that, rather than booting up an old copy with save files and all.

For me it is mainly the portability. I feel like a grown-up being a kid again, when I log off before midnight knowing that I can continue playing on my commute. Like I am cheating the system that was there the first time.

And finally there's something endearing about having all your favourites on one portable system. Still I get why, you don't get it. Sometimes I don't even. 😊

Thanks for your answer

Swiftstorm

Blad

ToonStuff wrote:

This.

Blad

Switch Friend Code: SW-8345-2077-2420 | 3DS Friend Code: 4270-6739-1319 | My Nintendo: Coolcario | Nintendo Network ID: K-Star

kkslider5552000

ToonStuff wrote:

I don't disagree exactly but to add an unpopular opinion to this:

The best part of Sonic Lost World was probably the Zelda DLC. Not just because I love Zelda, but because they were doing something a little different with that level that I feel might've worked better for Lost World than most of the actual levels.

SomeBitTripFan wrote:

Unpopular Game Opinion: A Link Between Worlds wasn't bad, but the non-sequential dungeon design heavily homogenized the entire game to a fault. At the very least, between reusing the overworld from ALttP and making the dungeons only need to be designed for one item, it's a low effort title in the series and doesn't have much to stand on its own with (with the major exception of Mother Maimai's theme).

I actually agree in theory but not in execution. I'm actually surprised at how interesting the dungeons were despite the weird decisions surrounding them.

But I will say, the difficulty curve sucks unless you already know how each of the dungeons are like in hindsight. And I don't like reusing LTTP's overworld, because the world of LTTP is not especially interesting.

Edited on by kkslider5552000

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

MS7000

@Swiftstorm @Dogorilla Just a small thing to add about remasters; I feel like people get excited about them as they get a chance to play the game as they remembered rather than the old game they played years ago when older graphics looked impressive, controls were not as good, and no quality of life changes which are present in the remasters. I feel like when you are younger, you give games more slack so when you replay a game, you notice all the flaws.

I will probably come back when I think of something unpopular. I am sure I have one unpopular opinion, but my mind is blank at the moment.

Signature, huh? Where do I sign?

Dogorilla

@MS7000 Oh, good point. I suppose that's a big part of why games like the Crash Bandicoot and Spyro remasters sold so well.

Funky Kong

BabyYoda71

I don’t actually like Goldie from Animal Crossing. She’s okay, but she doesn’t talk enough. I also think Eloise is very nice and not snooty at all.

Heigh Ho Heigh Ho. It’s off to work (from home) I go.

Ralizah

Unpopular opinion: I like silent protagonists. Or, at least, I don't mind them. More often than not, the protagonist of a game is simply there to connect the player to the world around them, and I feel the player character shutting up gives the rest of a game's cast more of a chance to stand out. Also, on a personal level, I've noticed it happens far more often that I become irritated with a chatty main character (especially in a lot of modern Playstation exclusives; MY GOD) than irritated that the character I'm playing as isn't speaking.

This obviously wouldn't work with all games. But, in experiences where the player character isn't a hugely deep or defined entity, and especially ones with heavy elements of choice and relationship building, I find it easier to jive with someone who doesn't already have a strong personality they're projecting into the world via their voice acting.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

DePurpleMonkey

None of NES games have aged well

(Mario Bros. 3 is the exception)

What are you looking at?

roy130390

Here's an unpopular one: I think that Sonic doesn't work as a 2D game and I really don't find anything exceptional about Sonicmania. I think that a 2D platformer that is too fast and is limited to just cover a certain area of vision isn't as functional as the 3D games, which done properly should allow for more room to maneuver, a lot more vision so that you can react at high speeds and more space for forgiveness in general since everything should be "bigger" one way or another than with the 2D games. The 2D games, unless you have played them several times or have really amazing reflexes, make you constantly lose momentum simply because the average player can't react to objects that appear so fast in front of you which such limited vision.

I have to say, I'm saying that the idea of platforming in Sonic works way better in 3D, but that doesn't mean that I'm saying that all of the 3D games are better. Their executions have left a lot to be desired so while it works better it hasn't been taken advantage of it properly. Between bugs, constant automatic parts, too much speed in some cases (at least to what they are going in the level you are playing) or weird/mediocre level designs, mediocre stories, constant introduction of characters that are or will be worthless eventually, weird gameplay choices like making you interact with NPCS like in Sonic 06 and gimmicks like the Werehog or Fist Bump in Sonic Forces which is an automatic win (there's room for this stuff, just more balanced or interesting) the games have simply failed to reach and define the type of platforming they should actually be.

Edited on by roy130390

Switch Friend Code: SW-3916-4876-1970

Toy_Link

@DePurpleMonkey
So you've played every single one of the NES's 700+ game library (Not even counting Famicom or homebrew games) and every single game aged badly?

Or did you just play a few games on the NSO app and than judge the whole library based off the first 10 minutes of Metroid and Zelda?

Legal threats that have gone nowhere: 1

kkslider5552000

I have played I'd say...at least 130 NES games (ignoring games I haven't played since I was like 7), and based on that, most NES games don't get better than mediocre.

Though anyone who discredits Castlevania or Megaman 2 should be ignored by default.

Edited on by kkslider5552000

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

DePurpleMonkey

@Toy_Link
Sorry, I should have specified most of the popular ones haven't aged really well, and no I haven't finished most of them because I just can't bring myself to do it.

What are you looking at?

Xyphon22

I know I'm old and biased because it is what I grew up with, but I think the NES is the best system ever and most games hold up really well. It probably doesn't seem like it if you try to play them for the first time now because they are more difficult and obscure than modern games, but NES games are basically the only ones that I am able to replay to this day. They are just so pure and fun, jump right in and accomplish things. And it doesn't hurt that most of them don't require dozens of hours that I don't have time for.

Xyphon22

3DS Friend Code: 5069-3937-8083

RR529

Kirby's Adventure holds up the best from what I've played, but Mario Bros. 3 is good too & I actually played a ton of the NES' Galaga port back on Wii VC as there was one of those dual Ms. Pac-Man/Galaga machines at our local laundromat (which is now sadly closed) at the time, and I got really into Galaga thanks to it (I went down & played it almost every weekend), so I bought it on VC to play at home.

Edited on by RR529

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Dogorilla

I think a lot of the more simplistic NES games hold up well. Things like Balloon Fight, Mario Bros and Excitebike are still fun to play. Same goes for most platformers on the system (Kirby, Super Mario Bros, Mega Man, etc).

Funky Kong

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic