Forums

Topic: Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Posts 6,621 to 6,640 of 12,088

Anti-Matter

@Heavyarms55
I still allow some rated Teen games like Street Fighter.
The violence level on Street Fighter is still tolerable due to Animated violence and it still looks like i hit the doll instead of human. Still looks like cartoon.
Moreover, the gameplay system from Street Fighter Alpha and III was inspiring me to create my own Chibi Boxing and Avian Kickboxing as you can see my avatar and my previous artwork.

About BOTW2, i have turned off by the game since from the trailer that shown a creepy zombie.

Anti-Matter

Heavyarms55

@Anti-Matter Well, it's your choice. I really don't understand at all. How you could be bothered by an obviously fictional creature but okay with a game with rather realistic looking people beating each other nearly to death. But that's fine. If it's what you enjoy, enjoy it.

Nintendo Switch FC: 4867-2891-2493
Switch username: Em
Discord: Heavyarms55#1475
Pokemon Go FC: 3838 2595 7596
PSN: Heavyarms55zx

Zuljaras

@Anti-Matter It still looks to me that you try to excuse only the type of violence you personally like.

Boxing = Sport Violence
Street Fighter = Video Game Violence

It is still funny that you detest violent video games but you have no problem with people going to a ring and hit each other in the head until one is unable to move. In kick boxing you even try to kick him in the head. Seems pretty violent and barbaric. Not to mention that occasionally there is blood pouring from the contestants.

Also "Do you know the definition of insanity? Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results." ?

Edited on by Zuljaras

kkslider5552000

Heavyarms55 wrote:

Unpopular opinion: I don't think Earthbound is the almighty title that so many people raise it up to be. By no means do I think it's bad but I think it's overblown how good people claim it is.

I mean, I don't think its the best game ever or anything, but when I went back to it about a year ago or so, I was surprised at how well it held up. I mean, some parts of it I already knew were going to, but it kinda circumvents traditional storytelling where the main characters aren't really the focus and the story barely is either. It's like a weird road trip movie or any sort of fiction where stuff just sort of...happens rather than it all building towards one entirely coherent storyline conclusion. I'm not always into those, but Earthbound was able to keep my interest even on a second playthrough incredibly well. And the writing is honestly pretty top tier, especially for the time.

And nowadays, it's really easy for me to really appreciate it. Because I can clearly see how much it influenced a lot of different things (and not just video games tbh), and I can see how much it avoided a lot of the worst of the genre. The battles weren't random, I never needed to grind. It's not trying too hard to be a mediocre anime instead of a good video game. It doesn't waste my time (well ok the Fourside part of the game has its moments...). The OST is also still one of the best ever, I reject anyone who says otherwise.

But you kinda have to be into what the game is doing. If you're not, it's gonna feel disappointing compared to a Chrono Trigger or a Xenoblade (which are both games I do love more, for the record). Now granted, Mother 3 found the best balance of more traditional, dramatic storytelling with Earthbound's quirks, which is why I prefer it, but I still think Earthbound has held up extremely well.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Zeldafan79

I'll give you a couple unpopular gaming opinions.

The Wii U is a good game system.

Ask anybody and i couldn't be more wrong about that but i had alot of fun with it and still do! I don't regret owning one. Believe me I've lived through some truly horrible game consoles. Sega saturn, Atari Jaquar, Virtual boy etc and Wii U is miles above those! If only it wasn't for that poorly utilized gamepad and pathetic advertizing all around it could have been better.

Think of it as an early prototype for switch. A good concept sure i mean console gaming without needing the TV was pretty cool! It's not a bad system. It's just badly misunderstood.

As for my second unpopular opinion it's about open world games.

They are not the best genre in gaming despite what the constant flood of these type of games might suggest. They're quite played out at this point i think. It's like every high profile game these days has to be open world or nobody thinks it's worth buying. I miss when games had a focused plot where you would go from point A to point B and so on with a boss every few levels and then a big bad at the end. I don't need some long drawn out 70+ hour marathon of missions and hundreds of sidequests.

Maybe linear games just ain't what's in these days but I'm in my 40's and maybe it's my age but if a game doesn't come to a conclusion within 20 or so hours i start getting bored and wanna move on to something else. My backlog is so full I'm starting to think I'll be crapping my pants in some nursing home before i finish all these games. Especially all this open world nonsense.

Edited on by Zeldafan79

"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" Optimus Prime

Sisilly_G

Zeldafan79 wrote:

Maybe linear games just ain't what's in these days but I'm in my 40's and maybe it's my age but if a game doesn't come to a conclusion within 20 or so hours i start getting bored and wanna move on to something else.

I'm the same. I can't spend hundreds/thousands of hours on games like many others do. I usually put a game away once I've seen the end credits, and if I really like it, I might see it to 100% completion, particularly if it isn't an excruciating grind-fest in order to attain that (and if I have really liked the game). Only if a game is a sensible length will I replay it. I played the original Resident Evil several times as it could feasibly be completed in an evening. I think I've clocked 10 hours into the Switch port of Commander Keen Dreams because the game is so short and I enjoy ploughing through it every now and then.

I think excessively long games are overrated as they often artificially extend the length of the game in a manner that is not at all beneficial to the overall experience. A game merely being "short" is not a con in my eyes as I don't have the time to invest 5+ hours for every game that I own, let alone 20+, and those 20+ hour games better be bloody good!

Edited on by Sisilly_G

"Gee, that's really persuasive. Do you have any actual points to make other than to essentially say 'me Tarzan, physical bad, digital good'?"

Switch Friend Code: SW-1910-7582-3323

DannyBoi

Nintendo's quality with the switch has taken a drop. The battery can be unpredictable on the switch(it is probably a cheap battery designed to last a couple of years) The left joycon has issues(joycon drift, battery drains faster than the right joycon, can disconnect from the console when attached on the joycon rails) the bezel on the switch can rise due to heat or expanding battery. I recently bought a revised switch and the paint on the left joycon s charging connection is starting to come off. The quality is s**t. The issue that I have with the battery is that you charge it to 100% and the next morning you turn it on and it has dropped to 95% which it does consistently because the last 5% of the battery does not charge properly.

Edited on by DannyBoi

Destiny, justice and retribrution will be mine.

Sisilly_G

@DannyBoi : My launch model Switch has not had any issues, but when I bought the limited edition Let's Go Pikachu bundle, the console had two dead pixels out of the box, an inferior quality screen that exhibits interlacing artefacts (my DS Lite had the same issue), and occasionally a small but noticeable portion of the image will malfunction, displaying a splotchy distortion.

Most of my 3DSes have also had some issues.

"Gee, that's really persuasive. Do you have any actual points to make other than to essentially say 'me Tarzan, physical bad, digital good'?"

Switch Friend Code: SW-1910-7582-3323

NotTelevision

@kkslider5552000 Yeah I agree with you. It’s not Chrono Trigger or FF VI levels of polished. That’s fine though, it’s not trying to be those games.

I guess you’d call it one of gaming’s first “cult classics”. The limited amount of people who played it at the time felt it was very unique, including myself. There’s a lot in the story that I didn’t comprehend when I was younger, but I appreciate more now. I think it functions well as a sort of 90s time capsule and a absurd and profound coming of age tale.

NotTelevision

Heavyarms55

@Zeldafan79 I and a decent number of people actually agree. The Wii U was a good system in concept and had a lot of wasted potential. Most of the reasons for it's failure were business failures, not problems with the hardware.

Nintendo Switch FC: 4867-2891-2493
Switch username: Em
Discord: Heavyarms55#1475
Pokemon Go FC: 3838 2595 7596
PSN: Heavyarms55zx

kkslider5552000

Zeldafan79 wrote:

I'll give you a couple unpopular gaming opinions.

The Wii U is a good game system.

Ask anybody and i couldn't be more wrong about that but i had alot of fun with it and still do! I don't regret owning one. Believe me I've lived through some truly horrible game consoles. Sega saturn, Atari Jaquar, Virtual boy etc and Wii U is miles above those! If only it wasn't for that poorly utilized gamepad and pathetic advertizing all around it could have been better.

Think of it as an early prototype for switch. A good concept sure i mean console gaming without needing the TV was pretty cool! It's not a bad system. It's just badly misunderstood.

As for my second unpopular opinion it's about open world games.

They are not the best genre in gaming despite what the constant flood of these type of games might suggest. They're quite played out at this point i think. It's like every high profile game these days has to be open world or nobody thinks it's worth buying. I miss when games had a focused plot where you would go from point A to point B and so on with a boss every few levels and then a big bad at the end. I don't need some long drawn out 70+ hour marathon of missions and hundreds of sidequests.

Maybe linear games just ain't what's in these days but I'm in my 40's and maybe it's my age but if a game doesn't come to a conclusion within 20 or so hours i start getting bored and wanna move on to something else. My backlog is so full I'm starting to think I'll be crapping my pants in some nursing home before i finish all these games. Especially all this open world nonsense.

I mean, in theory this is an unpopular opinion based on what sells, but this is mostly just every other opinion I saw in 2014 so...

Edited on by kkslider5552000

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

MrDisappointed

@DannyBoi I'm not going to disagree that the quality has slipped. Mine has been pretty good, but if you add up all the problems my friends have seen, things get weird. Overheating, drift right out of the box, connectivity issues... As a concept, I love the Switch, but it's got a few problems.

I do kinda miss how indestructible the older hardware was. I know that the 3DS is less complicated, but still, that thing is so durable. Mine's 6 and a half and has been used a ton (and dropped a few times), and it still works great.

MrDisappointed

MrDisappointed

Unpopular gaming opinions, eh? Some of these might not be unpopular, but a lot of them might be strange.

Wii shovelware has a certain amount of charm to it.

Link's Awakening is probably my favorite video game of all time. It fluctuates, but I kinda keep coming back to it after playing the remake all the way through twice last year. In my opinion, it has a really nice balance of challenge and accessibility, with clever puzzles, fun characters, and a really good twist. It really gets you thinking WAY more than you'd expect such a tiny game to do.

Sora in Smash seems to be somewhat of a tricky character to implement. Kingdom Hearts is so much a Disney thing that I wonder how far they'd have to go and how much they'd have to work to get it approved. He would be a good fit, though, so who knows?

Wario was completely ruined when his character became nothing more than a bunch of fart jokes.

I'm really tired of Bowser kidnapping Peach.

MrDisappointed

iKhan

Here's kind of a doozy: Kirby isn't a platformer series. It's a beat em' up with some 2D adventure components. There is literally no challenge offered by the platforming aspect of Kirby. The games aren't exactly known to be hard of course, but if you do die, it's due to taking damage from enemies, who you normally dispatch with pretty complex and robust combos.

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

Krull

MrDisappointed wrote:

Link's Awakening is probably my favorite video game of all time.

That is outrageous, and I disagree completely. Your favourite video game of all time is actually, er, Minesweeper.

TBH, Link's Awakening isn't my favourite video game of all time, or even my favourite Zelda, but it's definitely the best 2D Zelda I've played - which puts it pretty high on my list!

Switch ID: 5948-6652-1589
3DS ID: 2492-5142-7789

Anti-Matter

Mario Tennis Aces was pretty disappointing in my opinion.
I think Hot Shot Tennis on PS2 / PSP or Tennis from Bomberman Battles PS2 are more interesting than Mario Tennis Aces.

Anti-Matter

MarioVillager92

I guess this is an unpopular opinion... I like Super Mario Odyssey more than Breath of the Wild. BotW's still great though, I just had more fun with Odyssey

"Give yourself the gift of being joyfully you."

ACNH Name/Island: D-Pad/D-World
Dream Address: DA-1613-1378-1995

Also known as MarioLover92. Please ask for my Switch FC if you want to play online with me. Thanks!

My Nintendo: MarioLover

tzahn

I've heard people compare Dark Souls and Zelda, saying DS is what Zelda would be in a darker, more realistic environment. I'm sure this will go over well, but to me Dark Souls is what you get if you take Zelda and strip away all the charm and magic. And I also felt it didn't respect my time. I really tried to like it and put in over 20 hours. I was to the point where I "got it" and understood what the game was, but I ultimately wasn't enjoying myself and stopped playing.

Love anything Zelda. Most other Ninty franchises too! Purposely vague...

3DS Friend Code: 3952-7039-2998 | Nintendo Network ID: tzahn88

Buizel

@DarthNocturnal both Minesweeper and Voltorb Flip are excellent games. I wouldn't be surprised if the latter made up half of my HGSS play time.

At least 2'8".

RR529

Not an opinion per se, but I find Sonic games to be weirdly difficult.

In terms of the classic games, it took the addition of a save function in a PS2 Sonic collection for me to be able to clear Sonic 2 & 3D Blast. Even with the aid of saving I've never beat Sonic 1, Sonic 3, or Knuckles.

In terms of newer games, I was only able to clear team Amy's route in Heroes, and gave up on Secret Rings early on due to it's odd progression system.

Don't think I've played a Sonic game since.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic