Forums

Topic: Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Posts 6,601 to 6,620 of 12,088

BrintaPap

@Harmonie well just like anything else in the world: if you want a ferrari and you dont have the money, either pick a cheaper a car or work hard for it. It is not up to ferrari to make cars more accessible to the mass.

Ferarri( insert game dev) knows that if they make their cars cheaper they would sell more cars.

It is a all simply market of demand and supply.

In to translate this into games: easier modes or not locked away content by playing on easy mode.
But they do not care about that. Nor movie studios or game devs.

BrintaPap

kkslider5552000

NotTelevision wrote:

My biggest gripe is that I felt like the world or the “wild” part of the game, lacked proper development. You spend most of the game interacting with the world and seeing how Ganon’s corruption has effected the environment (at least in a slight sense). The game could’ve leaned a bit heavier on of the environmental themes (like Miyazaki’s Nausicaa Valley of the Wind or Princess Mononoke) and showed how some of the races habitats/ traditions and the creatures of the forest have had to adapt to the corruption. The game hints at this, but it is too underdeveloped and the stakes are not as present as in other LoZ stories.

I just see it as a bit of a missed opportunity. There is some really good indirect storytelling on display in sections, but not enough as there should’ve been.

I actually really agree on this. There's plenty of stuff that could've been done that just...wasn't. The immediate example that comes to mind that I remember is one of the memories shows I believe Link and Zelda on top of a hill, and it feels like the entire thing is being built up to show this town BEFORE it was destroyed. Because you see in current day that its a flooded, ruined town. But then the memory just ends so it barely meant anything. There was such a perfect opportunity to contrast the town before and after and show the real tragedy that Ganon brought to this land and they just did...nothing. It annoyed me to no end.

Though I think this more comes from wanting to be Shadow of the Colossus but being scared of being THAT subtle or minimal. So it ends up in a kinda awkward halfway point between intentionally minimalist storytelling and more traditional storytelling.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Ralizah

I genuinely don't understand the appeal of Souls games. They're clunky, plotless romps where it's super easy to get lost, and they like to play coy about their own mechanics and whatnot. And outside of a few boss encounters in Bloodborne, I feel like I just don't hear a lot of music when playing them.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

Tyranexx

Paper Mario: Color Splash, while somewhat flawed, is still a decent game. I think part of the problem is that it was dragged down by being somewhat similar to Sticker Star.

@Ralizah I think you'd enjoy the Dark Souls references in this video:

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

Grumblevolcano

NotTelevision wrote:

@iKhan Yeah I felt like Zelda had a pretty decent progression and her vulnerability made her more easy to relate to. It was a nice change from past depictions of her.

My biggest gripe is that I felt like the world or the “wild” part of the game, lacked proper development. You spend most of the game interacting with the world and seeing how Ganon’s corruption has effected the environment (at least in a slight sense). The game could’ve leaned a bit heavier on of the environmental themes (like Miyazaki’s Nausicaa Valley of the Wind or Princess Mononoke) and showed how some of the races habitats/ traditions and the creatures of the forest have had to adapt to the corruption. The game hints at this, but it is too underdeveloped and the stakes are not as present as in other LoZ stories.

I just see it as a bit of a missed opportunity. There is some really good indirect storytelling on display in sections, but not enough as there should’ve been.

I think a Halo 3 ODST style approach may have helped, the memories not just being cutscenes but actual playable mini areas.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

iKhan

@kkslider5552000

The thing is that, aside from Link's Awakening and Majora's Mask, Zelda games have never been particularly innovative with their storytelling. And in the case of LA and MM, the creative storytelling approach came from Koizumi, who no longer plays any significant part in the Zelda series.

So I guess in the scope of my expectations, BOTW isn't all that disappointing. I'd say the story is pretty average for the series.

Edited on by iKhan

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

Mystemo

Ralizah wrote:

I genuinely don't understand the appeal of Souls games. They're clunky, plotless romps where it's super easy to get lost, and they like to play coy about their own mechanics and whatnot. And outside of a few boss encounters in Bloodborne, I feel like I just don't hear a lot of music when playing them.

I can definitely understand that the Soulsborne games are not for everyone, but they certainly are not "plotless". These games have some of the deepest and most well told stories in gaming history, they're just told in an unconventional way.

As for my own unpopular opinion: I despise The Last of Us, I think it's the worst game I have ever played.

Mystemo

Xyphon22

@iKhan I would have mostly felt the same way except that Nintendo themselves played the story up so much leading up to the game. When I beat the Ganon, I though "OK, there's going to be more cool postgame stuff because I still haven't seen most of the storyline that I know is here from all the stuff that was shown off before." But nope, that was the end. It was the fact that I had only found 2 of the memories that I just missed it all, which was sad. It was a bit disappointing because I thought the story was going to be a bigger deal, but it's not unless you purposefully set out to make it so. Which is fine, I just expected differently based on the pre-launch build up.

Xyphon22

3DS Friend Code: 5069-3937-8083

NotTelevision

@Ralizah They are certainly very idiosyncratic in their design. Some things you would be able to discover on your own but they are certainly “wiki” games in many respects since they are built on a community who researches and finds out information about aspects that you wouldn’t have otherwise found alone.

But there is a tremendous satisfaction that comes from those that get into them. I think that comes from the games having just enough obscurity so that it feels like everything you do was the product of your own persistence.

Obviously many games are built around a similar logic, but Souls has such a stark design and purity of intent. It doesn’t dally around telling a story, give you a celebratory cutscene about your accomplishments, or send you an objective marker. It just says here’s a big guy in armor and you either defeat him and move forward or you don’t.

That is either something you really like or something don’t find satisfying or worth your time.

NotTelevision

iKhan

@Xyphon22 See I kind of like stories where you have to discover the details. That's how Pandora's Tower did it, and I absolutely love that approach. I really feel like a detective piecing a bunch of non-chronological details together to figure out what is actually going on.

Being able to find Zelda's journal at the end is a genuine treat IMO

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

Xyphon22

@iKhan Yeah, I'm fine with that approach when I know to expect it and I can choose to do it or not. It was simply the fact that I thought the story was going to be a bigger deal and it would naturally play out along the way that I ended up disappointed when I beat the game because I hadn't seen all of that Zelda stuff yet. Whenever I get around to a second playthrough, now I know to purposefully search those things out and I'm sure it will be much better.

Xyphon22

3DS Friend Code: 5069-3937-8083

Cotillion

iKhan wrote:

The thing is that, aside from Link's Awakening and Majora's Mask, Zelda games have never been particularly innovative with their storytelling. And in the case of LA and MM, the creative storytelling approach came from Koizumi, who no longer plays any significant part in the Zelda series.

So I guess in the scope of my expectations, BOTW isn't all that disappointing. I'd say the story is pretty average for the series.

Isn't there a quote from Miyamoto on this somewhere? I forget it exactly, but I think he's on record saying that the gameplay, puzzles, mechanics and such all take precedence with Zelda and the story just kinda gets filled in afterwards. Which is also why there never was an official timeline for the longest time.

Cotillion

iKhan

@Cotillion

If there is, I wouldn't be surprised. Miyamoto hates story in games to the point that he would actively sabotage a game's immersion to remove it.

Haywired

Now that it's been around two years since I played Breath of the Wild, I'm surprised at how little emotional impact it had on me. This is highly unusual for a Zelda game. Normally when I look back on my time playing them I get all those warm fuzzy nostalgic feelings that you get from an immersive adventure. It all comes flooding back; the sights, the sounds, the characters, the moments. But to be honest, BOTW just seems to leave me cold for the most part.

Now you might say; "Well obviously, older games are going to give you more nostalgia", but I can get very easily nostalgic for things from not that long ago. For example, a game I played more recently than BOTW was Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (which, as a big epic Action-Adventure/RPG, is not that dissimilar to a Zelda game) and that does give me all those warm fuzzy feelings when I look back on it. How immersed and invested I was in that world, with that story and those characters. It all comes flooding back. When I think back on BOTW, all that really ever comes to mind is just walking from one large empty field into another large empty field. Whereas other Zelda games have living breathing worlds, Breath of the Wild just seems to have terrain; lots and lots and lots and lots and lots of terrain.

I should point out that I did think it was great game and I applaud them for doing something different from the usual formula, though I definitely wouldn't give it a 10/10 (and if it didn't have Zelda in the title, I imagine a lot of reviewers wouldn't have either...) and I certainly don't agree with the section of the gaming media that was so clearly desperate to anoint it as the new de facto "best game of all time" (again, if it didn't have Zelda in the title I'm not so sure that would be a thing...). Plus I guess maybe being a quiet, empty, lifeless experience is precisely what one would expect from a game about exploring a vast wilderness, so in that sense; fair play I guess. I suppose perhaps to put it in a nutshell; think about Lake Hylia or Death Mountain in Ocarina of Time and how magical and iconic and memorable they are. Then think about Breath of the Wild's 100 generic lakes and mountains and how bland and forgettable they are in comparison. Sometimes less is more.

Haywired

iKhan

@Haywired

I've heard that complaint a lot recently, and honestly I couldn't disagree more. There are so many moments I absolutely treasure with BOTW. Some of them are scripted, like the boss fight with Naydra or infiltrating the Yiga hideout, others where spontaneous, like the time that I saw the location of one of the memories, and I immediately recognized where to go. To me it didn't feel like just a random vast open world, there were tons of little moments in cutscenes and main quest objectives that had a ton of impact. I really love Riju's story for example.

The only Zelda game that might give me more treasured moments than BOTW is MAYBE Twilight Princess, and that game was built from the ground up around having epic memorable moments.

Edited on by iKhan

darkfenrir

After thinking and talking about it, I think Persona series aren't for me. They are still super good games! Just not something I enjoy... Having to know what you need to do day by day to maximize everything is just. Kinda overwhelming. Yes I know you can just not maximize stuff, but it felt very eh especially if you aren't the type to replay a game like I am.

On another note, I think roguelite genre is one of the best genre around. With very good core gameplay loop, it's one of the few genre that can let you constantly play something and yet it'll still feel quite fresh throughout.

darkfenrir

kkslider5552000

More people should look at Earthbound beyond its comedic tone and more how to write strong, memorable side characters in minutes.

Like you go back to Earthbound, a game whose plot is the most basic it could get away with, but it absolutely makes up for that with its characters. Not just because of the weird comedic tone it's known for, but just for establishing personality. And not even for the main characters, but for just the characters you meet up with. Tony shows up for like 10 minutes in total throughout the game, and yet he comes across as a more real and fleshed out a character than main character party members in some critically acclaimed JRPGs. Like I remember one or two generic character traits in Bravely Default's characters and nothing else, and despite watching two complete Let's Plays of the game, I can tell you almost nothing about the other party members in Ni No Kuni. Can you?

In general I'm kinda sick of text heavy games where they don't successfully use the text to actually make me care about anything. There are plenty that do, but the ones that don't are obnoxious and get too much of a free pass for wasting people's time.

Edited on by kkslider5552000

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Heavyarms55

Unpopular opinion: I don't think Earthbound is the almighty title that so many people raise it up to be. By no means do I think it's bad but I think it's overblown how good people claim it is. And on that note, I think the same about Final Fantasy 7. Both are great games but the internet and fandoms have raised to almost god-like status of game and frankly I don't think the reality matches the worship. Playing them to me is like being promised a feast fit for a king and "only" getting a nice dinner.

Nintendo Switch FC: 4867-2891-2493
Switch username: Em
Discord: Heavyarms55#1475
Pokemon Go FC: 3838 2595 7596
PSN: Heavyarms55zx

Anti-Matter

Unpopular opinions again from me:

1. A Knight's Quest >>> BOTW 1& 2
2. Yonder the Cloud Catcher Chronicles, ACNL 3DS >>>>>>>>>> any shooting games. Anti-Gun rules here. 🤟
3. Street Fighter Alpha series and Street Fighter III 3rd Strike >>>>>>>> Street Fighter 4 & 5

Anti-Matter

Heavyarms55

@Anti-Matter I find it rather surprising that you like fighting games like Street Fighter since you seem to dislike any other portrayal of violence. What's your reasoning there?

Also how can you say a game is better than a game that's not out yet? We haven't even had a single gameplay video for BOTW 2 yet.

Nintendo Switch FC: 4867-2891-2493
Switch username: Em
Discord: Heavyarms55#1475
Pokemon Go FC: 3838 2595 7596
PSN: Heavyarms55zx

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic