Forums

Topic: Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Posts 6,581 to 6,600 of 12,088

BrintaPap

@Anti-Matter dude have you ever looked at fighter games?!!!!
There are even fat man and really muscled man but no fat girls/woman.

BrintaPap

sixrings

Why not just only buy a PC and emulate Nintendo games in 4k while at it.

sixrings

Cotillion

iKhan wrote:

I have very little excitement for "next gen" right now.

What is there to be "excited" about? Generational jumps are more like little steps now.
Take Nintendo out of the picture and the console arms race just seems stagnant to me with marginal improvements here and there and no real innovation on the hardware side of things.
Like what @Heavyarms55 said, it's what kept me coming back to Nintendo, they experiment with their hardware and software both. Sometimes it works out for them, sometimes it doesn't, but at least it's something different than the same ol' thing just now with higher numbers.

Cotillion

iKhan

@sixrings

Because I don't like working on desktops, and I like having the ability to play games on my TV. So the small price difference between console and PC is a price difference that I get no value from.

I respect those who prefer PC, and if I were a person who could sit at his desk for hours a day working, I would get one too. But I love being able to take my laptop anywhere, either within the house or to another place entirely.

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

kkslider5552000

People should play more games.

This is a weird, "unpopular" opinion but I feel like its a shame when people don't bother with more than a handful of games. Often not their fault if they don't have the time and money but I feel like people will just stick with what they know, and never bother with so much cool stuff that is out there.

Some of the best games I've played are about being a defense attorney. One of my highlights of a Wii U was a game all about being in front of a fire place. And quite frankly, as someone who would never call himself a fan of strategy or stealth games, I've found games in those genres that I adored. And I never would have if I gave up because I didn't get into Fire Emblem or certain other games.Try different games.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

iKhan

@kkslider5552000

I definitely see what you are saying. Like it's a lot easier for me to stick to the franchises that I have played my whole life than it is to try something new. I think sometimes it's the cost of games that can be a bit intimidating, and it can be scary that what you've spent in both time and money ends up wasted.

But at the same time, when you discover something magical, that's probably worth all the time and money you put into things that didn't end up working for you. I make it no secret that Tales of Symphonia is my favorite game ever, but I actually didn't play that game for nearly a decade between when I first bought it and when I first played it.

I got it for what I believe was my 12th birthday, but I didn't play it until I was in college and the hype for Smash 4, brought up Lloyd Irving as a possible third party character. I ended up playing it out of pure curiosity, and it was pure magic for me.

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

LzWinky

kkslider5552000 wrote:

Some of the best games I've played are about being a defense attorney. One of my highlights of a Wii U was a game all about being in front of a fire place.

It’s Little Inferno! IT’S LITTLE INFERNO JUST FOR ME!

Edited on by LzWinky

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

kkslider5552000

To add to this, its ok if you stop playing games from a popular series, even if they're still good. I played the original Layton trilogy, and they're good. I had problems with the first games' story, but the 2nd and 3rd games are kinda great games. But they did not blow me away to the point that I NEED to buy even more games, I was satisfied with what I got.

On top of that, the only Pokemon game I played after HG/SS was S/M, and that suits me just fine. Even regardless of any controversy. Now its more in hindsight that this is a move that suits my changing taste in games instead of just a coincidence (had it come a year later, I would've bought B/W I'm sure), but I'm not sad I don't really play Pokemon anymore. That's just me though. There are a few series I would like to own every game of in some form, admittedly, but generally none of those games in those series are bad either (and in the case of Kirby, I'm second guessing that seeing some of the downloadable 3DS games that are just expansions of minigames in the recent Kirby games)

Ralizah

@kkslider5552000 I'm always a bit baffled by people who just stick to mainstream content in any medium. The Call of Dutys, Stephen Kings, Star Wars, etc. of the world are fine, but most of my favorite games, novels, TV shows, films, etc. have been smaller productions that weren't catering to the lowest common denominator. To that extent, I play niche/practically unknown games all the time, watch TV movies/direct-to-video movies, TV shows without as much fanfare, read weird cult authors, etc. It leads to, imo, a much more interesting and varied crop of entertainment to engage with.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Anti-Matter

@Ralizah
Same with me. 😀
I have interest with something niche, Anti-Mainstream, different, etc.
When peoples nowadays favor rubbish EDM, i favor timeless Eurobeat / 90's Eurodance / 80's music / Out of the box genre.
When peoples hyped on Soccer, i hyped on Boxing / Kickboxing / Bodybuilding.
When peoples favor rated 18 AAA games for adult males, i played Girlie / Princess games for 3 - 7 years old girls.
When peoples favor Star Wars / Full Action movies, i watch America's Next Top Model.

Anti-Matter

BrintaPap

@Octoguy meh there are some f2p games that are even better then paid games.

Also I think that not every game should be easier. Regardless if it locks content or not. Games kinda always reward you for doing things/ different things.

Just like every movie is not made for kids.

BrintaPap

WoomyNNYes

@Octoguy Does your Splatoon themed username imply that Splatoon 2 online is an exception? Whatever your feeling is, it's cool with me. Just curious.

Extreme bicycle rider (<--Link to a favorite bike video)
'Tendo liker

Grumblevolcano

@kkslider5552000 @Ralizah As mainstream games become increasingly Games as a Service, the players have to choose between missing out on season rewards and missing out on other games. On the Nintendo front, it's not yet hit consoles but given how Nintendo is treating mobile I wouldn't surprised if something like Splatoon 3 has battle passes.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

kkslider5552000

That also comes to mind. I don't think its a bad thing if you often stick with one game, but what I said still counts to a point. I mean, I played legit over a thousand hours of Smash Melee during the GCN's lifespan. And I played the Halo games at least a couple hundred in that time as well. Still had plenty of time for other games (though obviously that's a bit unfair as I was a teenager without a job or...anything). Honestly all of that makes me glad for shorter games. It's nice to just beat a game in an afternoon sometimes, especially when they're reasonably priced.

Like even a baseball player has got to sick of baseball at some point.

Though I disagree with how Nintendo is treating mobile. Since how Nintendo is treating mobile is "you mobile devs know how to do this better than us, developers of Super Mario Run" shrugs " I don't think that affects Splatoon. God I hope not, Splatoon's update system has been one of the best out there.

Edited on by kkslider5552000

Harmonie

KoekiieWoekiie wrote:

Also I think that not every game should be easier. Regardless if it locks content or not. Games kinda always reward you for doing things/ different things.

Just like every movie is not made for kids.

That is not a fair comparison. People grow up from being kids. On the other hand, a video game that is harder can end up barring people from enjoying it because they just aren't that skilled and that isn't really something that can change, or when it can - it's not something that a lot of people will feel like putting all of their time and effort into, as for a lot of us video games are just entertainment to kick back and relax. If I want something to challenge myself to my limits, I'll pick up one of my instruments.

Granted, I do not know what kind of "content" we're speaking of being locked in hard modes here. If a harder mode unlocks a secret video ending (Kingdom Hearts, for example) it's not a big deal as I'll just watch it on YouTube. lol

Harmonie

Nintendo Network ID: WoodwindsRock

iKhan

Breath of the Wild does not have a bad story. Maybe a bit minimalistic, but when you put together the sum of the stories that happen in all 4 towns/dungeons, the memories discovered, Zelda and the King's journals, and the official cutscenes, it's actually quite solid.

Specifically in regards to characters, I felt like BOTW had some of the most character development in the series, with all the Champion descendants as well as Zelda getting solid mini-arcs

iKhan

@Snaplocket

As much praise as BOTW gets, a lot of people rag on the story.

NotTelevision

@iKhan Yeah I felt like Zelda had a pretty decent progression and her vulnerability made her more easy to relate to. It was a nice change from past depictions of her.

My biggest gripe is that I felt like the world or the “wild” part of the game, lacked proper development. You spend most of the game interacting with the world and seeing how Ganon’s corruption has effected the environment (at least in a slight sense). The game could’ve leaned a bit heavier on of the environmental themes (like Miyazaki’s Nausicaa Valley of the Wind or Princess Mononoke) and showed how some of the races habitats/ traditions and the creatures of the forest have had to adapt to the corruption. The game hints at this, but it is too underdeveloped and the stakes are not as present as in other LoZ stories.

I just see it as a bit of a missed opportunity. There is some really good indirect storytelling on display in sections, but not enough as there should’ve been.

NotTelevision

Krull

Octoguy wrote:

• Pressing the left-stick to run is an awful control choice.

Hear, hear! Does this count as an unpopular opinion? I mean, who's going to argue the opposite? It might be the single worst element of Astral Chain, for a game that lives and dies by its slick controls in combat. (Still a great game, though.)

Switch ID: 5948-6652-1589
3DS ID: 2492-5142-7789

NotTelevision

@Krull My hand in general was getting cramped playing that one in handheld. Glad I had the Pro Controller handy for some of those bosses.

Any other game was fine in handheld though.

NotTelevision

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic