Forums

Topic: Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Posts 6,541 to 6,560 of 12,088

iKhan

Ryu_Niiyama wrote:

Also IMO due to the its similarity to VF as a technical fighter rather than a juggle combo fighter like Tekken makes it less "exciting" to folks that don't live and breathe Fighting games.

What is a technical fighter vs a juggle combo fighter.

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

LzWinky

iKhan wrote:

Ryu_Niiyama wrote:

Also IMO due to the its similarity to VF as a technical fighter rather than a juggle combo fighter like Tekken makes it less "exciting" to folks that don't live and breathe Fighting games.

Not Smash.

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

kkslider5552000

Here's a good one: None of y'all ever actually bought Chibi Robo, stop pretending Ziplash killed a series that was barely alive.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Buizel

LzWinky wrote:

Buizel wrote:

KoekiieWoekiie wrote:

The main Persona series should stay Playstation exclusive.
/s

Why do you think that?

I think the Switch would be ideal for the series. Portability really lends iteself to perform small day-to-day activities.

/s means sarcasm

Thanks. How did I go for so long not knowing that? Also the opinion wouldn't have been too out of place in this thread anyway - there have been some questionable opinions here!

kkslider5552000 wrote:

Here's a good one: None of y'all ever actually bought Chibi Robo, stop pretending Ziplash killed a series that was barely alive.

To be fair, that was on one of Nintendo's poorest selling systems in the Gamecube (and towards the end of its life in the West). They've never really given the series much of a chance.

At least 2'8".

kkslider5552000

Buizel wrote:

To be fair, that was on one of Nintendo's poorest selling systems in the Gamecube (and towards the end of its life in the West). They've never really given the series much of a chance.

It was on DS and 3DS (before Ziplash). In terms of Nintendo failures, it wasn't like Sin and Punishment 2 where they heavily promoted it and it still failed to sell. But it also wasn't Excitebots. Go back to Excitebots if you want to see a real example of a lack of marketing hurting a game, and one that would've had a bigger audience.

HobbitGamer

...I enjoyed Ziplash

#MudStrongs

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

Buizel

kkslider5552000 wrote:

Buizel wrote:

It was on DS and 3DS (before Ziplash). In terms of Nintendo failures, it wasn't like Sin and Punishment 2 where they heavily promoted it and it still failed to sell. But it also wasn't Excitebots. Go back to Excitebots if you want to see a real example of a lack of marketing hurting a game, and one that would've had a bigger audience.

Wasn't aware of the DS game - it seems neither of those made it to Europe. And the 3DS game was another spin-off to my knowledge.

That said...I can't comment too much as the only game I've played in the series is Zip Lash!

At least 2'8".

Ryu_Niiyama

@iKhan to explain it without using community jargon...A Tech fighter tends to have a very robust game play system in place, not just in terms of fighter movesets but in the structure of the gameplay itself. It offers more options for countering and escaping and works well for people that like a more realistic fighting game experience (as far as a video game can be) there are usually few special moves like fireballs or super kicks or what not if any (they do exist though, I consider samurai showdown to be closer to being a tech fighter even though it is rife with special moves) They also tend to be more aggressively balanced. The good thing about those is learning the underpinnings of the system plus your character gives you a greater chance to to become a strong fighter with any character. Virtua Fighter is usually the poster child for this.

A juggle fighter will ofter have a system in place to allow a character to be “juggled” as in successive strikes that keeps an opponent in mid air to deal damage unpunished. While still relying on technique (I will never say high level Tekken players are unskilled) there are often less options for breaks or guarding and those games are usually a little faster paced. The balancing can be a little less rigid but it is there. Tekken is usually the poster child for this.

Soul calibur meanders in both camps depending on the entry. However its presentation keeps it from VF fate imo. Mainstream gamers tend to like story in fighters or flashy characters and moves. VF is often considered boring. In part because it isn’t pick up and play really.

Granted as VF ages other games close that gap.

Edited on by Ryu_Niiyama

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

Ryu_Niiyama

LzWinky wrote:

iKhan wrote:

Ryu_Niiyama wrote:

Not Smash.

That’s mean. I don’t love smash but I try not to be that girl.

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

BrintaPap

The people crying over censorship in games (and I do not mean cursing or guns, but sex or/ and boobs) and saying that they are angry because it is limiting the developers true mind are really just people wanting to see boobs in a game.

Come on man, just admit it you want to see boobs. A girl gets a trousers instead of hotpants, and suddenly you care about the vision of developer?
Especially when there is that standard 15 year old look a like anime game character who is sexy dressed like a grown up and 4990 years old...

You act like it hurts you in real life but it does not and you get really angry for it on other “politically correct people”.
If the developer / publisher said nothing about censorship you prolly would not have even noticed it.

( keep in mind that i do not mind if you/ and me see boobs or not)

Edited on by BrintaPap

BrintaPap

iKhan

@KoekiieWoekiie

I totally agree. Sexualized elements of games are censored for all kinds of reasons ranging from age ratings to simple cultural variances, but they really do not make significant changes to the game. If it really bothers you that much, it's probably because you just want to see stuff.

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

sixrings

I dunno. I don't exactly like women being sexualized because it makes men think of them as sex objects. Do I like seeing naked women yes. At the same time women are more than their assets.

sixrings

Trajan

Yoshi's Crafted World was one of the best games this year.

Sakurai: Which is why I think we should forget about console wars and focus on what’s really important: enjoying the games themselves.

"If we did this (mobile games), Nintendo would cease to be Nintendo." - Iwata

Trajan

@KoekiieWoekiie That's a very American thing though. Other countries sex isnt a big deal. It is weird to think, but it is true.

Us Americans are fine shooting someone in their face in front of anyone, but sexual scenes make us uncomfortable around people.

Sakurai: Which is why I think we should forget about console wars and focus on what’s really important: enjoying the games themselves.

sixrings

@Trajan I have no problem with sex. But I don't like that female characters in games are often dd breasted, super thin, and just always a 10/10. Now this is a problem with all media and not just videogames. It sets unrealistic expectations for men, and puts added body pressure for girls. That said I am very happily married to a 10/10 DD lady myself. So I'm a hypocrite.

sixrings

Trajan

@sixrings that's just the world we live in man. Look at all those instagram sloots.

sixrings

@Trajan yeah it's fighting a losing battle but I do appreciate companies like Dove embracing different body types.

sixrings

kkslider5552000

To add to this, my problem is less about how media IS HURTING MEN'S PERCEPTION OF WOMEN11!!11!! because that's borderline unproveable and almost certainly hyperbolic. The real problem is more that its often just overdone and lame, especially if you're in anime spaces long enough. I like sexy characters, but hollywood examples of hotness have almost never done much for me, anime is only somewhat better, and it takes the right character regardless. "Boring is a turnoff" is a great quote I heard once. Characters being half naked is not as inherently sexy as people think it is, quite frankly.

So even from a "dumb (demi)guy enjoying sexy characters" perspective, I don't get it. I have the internet, why do I need PG-13 fanservice in places that add nothing to anything?

Edited on by kkslider5552000

BrintaPap

Seems like some people are siding with me: that is nice, I thought we would we have a contender coming up so we could have a civil deep-going discussion but its okay.

BrintaPap

TheAwesomeBowser

Goose Game is my personal GOTY. Yes, I'm serious.

Own up to Joy-Con Drift, Nintendo. We all know it's your fault

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic