Forums

Topic: Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Posts 6,181 to 6,200 of 12,088

Anti-Matter

I really wish FF XI remade again in OFFLINE version.

Anti-Matter

Heavyarms55

@Snaplocket That can work, for things like character skills, armor and such. But I still prefer a character with a defined personality, written into the story. Much like Xenoblade Chronicles 1 where you could change up the equipment on your characters and their equipped skills to adapt a wide range of play-styles. But the characters remained themselves.

Nintendo Switch FC: 4867-2891-2493
Switch username: Em
Discord: Heavyarms55#1475
Pokemon Go FC: 3838 2595 7596
PSN: Heavyarms55zx

CanisWolfred

@Heavyarms55 It's a stylistic choice, and which is better depends more on what you want from a game's story - do you want well-written character interactions & a dynamic main cast that play off of eachother? Or do you want a story where you, the player, have a noteable impact on the world? Where you feel like your character is yours to make, and their story is (at least implied to be) unique to your adventure? I'm not saying it's always done well, when games like Mass Effect 1-3 exist, I don't think it's fair to say that it's a limiting factor on storytelling, or at least, not anymore than things like the necessity for boss battles, gear, action sequences, etc. Sure, plenty of times it's used as an excuse to not put in the effort required to make it work, but then the issue is with lazy writing, not with the create-your-character protagoist.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Heavyarms55

@CanisWolfred I adored ME 1-3 and thought they handled the delicate balancing act of character creation and story telling very well. But that is largely because the core story of Sheppard (I think that's how it was spelled) was the same no matter what else you changed. Man or women, merciful or a total jerk, who you chose to sleep with or not, the core story was still the same. The end result being a game with a ton of different details that can be changed without actually, radically changing the core idea. It was like the video game version of ordering a pizza, no matter what toppings you picked, you still ordered a pizza. That balancing act is a huge part of why I loved those games and still to this day want to see the full trilogy come to Switch and am still salty about only getting ME3 on Wii U.

LaserdiscGal

Astral Chains doesn't look good in the slightest. Combat looks dull, graphics look uninspired, and Platinum has a very mixed track record so there's no reason for me to blindly support titles from them.

That being said, I'll still be looking at reviews on launch day to see if I'm wrong or not.

LaserdiscGal

3DS Friend Code: 0688-5519-2711 | My Nintendo: pokefraker | Nintendo Network ID: pokefraker

Buizel

@Heavyarms55 I agree, both in the storytelling aspect (as described), but also in design. I personally hate having to design my own character...I'd rather a professional did it for me! My own design will always look like trash in comparison.

Edited on by Buizel

At least 2'8".

Heavyarms55

@Buizel Purely in visual terms, I really like customizable characters. Within the limits of a story frame. Again, I feel Mass Effect did it best with Sheppard. It was still Sheppard's story, and Sheppard had a pretty defined character. But you still had a lot of freedom with what you could do. But I do understand your point, and that's why I think it's good to have some preset/pre-designed options as well.

DAHstroy

Disney's Toontown Online was the definition of a grind.

DAHstroy

Diddy64

Not sure if this counts as an unpopular opinion, but I would like to have a Yoshi's Story 2.

Undergoing games:
Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity

darkfenrir

Unpopular Opinion, at least in my circle of friends.

Let people have some sort of accessibility to change the difficulty of the game. (' - ' ) Doesn't need to be crazy, even just little thing like "yeah you keep everything even if you die including your exp", or even the "half damage woohoo".

Like just little thing that can make a game more manageable.

darkfenrir

Anti-Matter

I don't think the Chibi form from Metroid Prime Federation Force was really bad idea. It looked cute somehow.

Anti-Matter

diwdiws

@darkfenrir adding accessibility is fine and adding difficulty sliders is not a problem. it just that no one is entitled to it. You cant force developers do add it if they dont want to

diwdiws

darkfenrir

@diwdiws Indeed, not like I have any power to force them to. Just that I wish nearly everything has that option shrug

Although not sure if this fall under unpopular opinion, but I hate it when devs put in difficulty option... and decide player isn't allowed to get good ending/or even get any ending unless they pick harder difficulty. Ending shouldn't be tied to difficulty at all.

darkfenrir

Diddy64

@darkfenrir I second that. In Octopath, I almost died against a duo boss fight in one chapter of the Ophilia. I think they were two guys with black hoods that use magic and a special ability to conceal their weakness.

Undergoing games:

darkfenrir

@SamusLv7 Oof I think I know that one. Every boss in Octopath is quite hard... especially when you are on Chapter 3/4. Or those hidden bosses. I already gave up after doing 2 of Chapter 4 bosses o)--< (and 1 hidden)

darkfenrir

Diddy64

@darkfenrir True. I think the duo I fight was the boss of the third chapter of Ophilia. I guess I'll have to level grind when I continue playing again 😅 as I am currently playing Zelda BotW and Mario + Rabbits.

Undergoing games:

Heavyarms55

Unpopular opinion: I don't like vague rumors from random, so-called sources and insiders. So-and-so thinks... Industry insiders suspect... So-called news source reports that (Nintendo) will probably do X...

I feel like that kind of vague speculation isn't worth it. But I guess it generates clicks and no one forces me to read it. But I am kinda sick of all the "thinks" "suspects" and "probably"s...

Tyranexx

ReaderRagfish wrote:

I especially hate the Metroid Prime Trilogy rumor. Various "leakers" have been saying "It's right around the corner!" about 5 different times in the last year.

This. It's like people enjoy setting themselves up for disappointment. But yeah, I agree; these leaks are getting ridiculous. If I were in a position where I truly "knew" such things, I'd rather keep the trust of those involved intact versus netting myself fifteen minutes of fame on the internet.

Or maybe I'm just cynical today.

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

iKhan

Heavyarms55 wrote:

Unpopular opinion: I don't like vague rumors from random, so-called sources and insiders. So-and-so thinks... Industry insiders suspect... So-called news source reports that (Nintendo) will probably do X...

I feel like that kind of vague speculation isn't worth it. But I guess it generates clicks and no one forces me to read it. But I am kinda sick of all the "thinks" "suspects" and "probably"s...

The thing is, I like reading other people's speculation. Around E3 I actually enjoy reading the fake BS rumors because I get to know what kinds of things people want/are expecting.

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

Sintown

Here is some of mine:
I don't entirely hate Duke Nukem Forever
TF2 isn't dead and still fun as hell
Undertale is an overrated, overhyped piece of crap

Sintown

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic