Forums

Topic: Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Posts 5,741 to 5,760 of 12,088

NaviAndMii

In my opinion, the PS4 is the most over-rated console of all time. **Booo! **

• I think that it has only been as successful as it has been because the Xbox One was overpriced at launch. Neither console had a particularly compelling list of games - and I'd argue that that's still the case. I wouldn't say that there are many 'must haves', even after all this time...which is probably reflected by the fact that the majority of the best selling games are either last gen ports or unimaginative sequels
  • The online service is appalling. It's unreliable. The 'free' games are often mediocre. In no way does it justify the price...it's the worst online service I've ever experienced. (..at least it hasn't had a massive data breach this gen I guess hope!)
  • The DualShock 4 is one of the worst controllers I have ever used...mainly due to its atrocious battery life. I use the charging cable so often that it actually annoys me that they get away with selling it as 'wireless'!
  • Sony's policy on cross-network play a) makes no sense (it's okay with PC, apparently?) and b) is anti-consumer...which only adds to the feeling that the overall online package is inferior to what is offered elsewhere.

It just seems to me that some people would like the Switch to be more like PS4 - but, if anything, I think that the reverse is true...they just seem to have taken so many backwards steps since the glory days of the PS2. The PS4 is the most disappointing console I've ever owned - no question.

EDIT: While I'm on the subject of PS4, another unpopular opinion: No Man's Sky is one of the best games on that console! ..I absolutely loved it - the experience genuinely left me feeling awestruck! ..the PS4 ain't all bad! (also available on PC )

Edited on by NaviAndMii

🎮 Adult Switch Gamers: Thread | Discord | Guilded

Switch Friend Code: SW-0427-7196-3801 | Twitter:

Buizel

NaviAndMii wrote:

• I think that it has only been as successful as it has been because the Xbox One was overpriced at launch.

I agree that a lot of PS4's success is probably due to the relative competency to its competitors (XBO and Wii U) at launch. And, as much as I like my XBO, I'd say that its flaws extend far past simply being overpriced at launch (come on Microsoft, where are the exclusives?!)

Neither console had a particularly compelling list of games - and I'd argue that that's still the case. I wouldn't say that there are many 'must haves', even after all this time...which is probably reflected by the fact that the majority of the best selling games are either last gen ports or unimaginative sequels

I could maybe understand this argument in 2014...but by 2018 I don't think this holds true. Horizon: Zero Dawn is an excellent new IP, possibly deserving of GOTY in a year that doesn't have a new Mario and Zelda. Uncharted 4 is a sequel but an excellent game none-the-less. PS4 also has a ridiculous number of Japanese exclusive games.

• The online service is appalling. It's unreliable. The 'free' games are often mediocre. In no way does it justify the price...it's the worst online service I've ever experienced. (..at least it hasn't had a massive data breach this gen I guess hope!)

I don't quite understand this myself, as I've barely used PS4's online services. But I've never had an issue.

• The DualShock 4 is one of the worst controllers I have ever used...mainly due to its atrocious battery life. I use the charging cable so often that it actually annoys me that they get away with selling it as 'wireless'!

How many hours are you getting out of it? Do you plug it in when your console is on standby? I can't say I've ever had this issue.

It just seems to me that some people would like the Switch to be more like PS4 - but, if anything, I think that the reverse is true...

This I can really get behind. PS4 as a console is...incredibly boring. I generally agree with the idea that Sony aren't doing anything particularly well...they're just not making some of the big blunders that the other companies have been making. A Nintendo console like the PS4 would be quite underwhelming - with the Switch Nintendo have arguably brought out the most interesting console in decades.

Edited on by Buizel

At least 2'8".

Anti-Matter

NaviAndMii wrote:

In my opinion, the PS4 is the most over-rated console of all time. **Booo! **

• I think that it has only been as successful as it has been because the Xbox One was overpriced at launch. Neither console had a particularly compelling list of games - and I'd argue that that's still the case. I wouldn't say that there are many 'must haves', even after all this time...which is probably reflected by the fact that the majority of the best selling games are either last gen ports or unimaginative sequels
  • Sony's policy on cross-network play a) makes no sense (it's okay with PC, apparently?) and b) is anti-consumer...which only adds to the feeling that the overall online package is inferior to what is offered elsewhere.

It just seems to me that some people would like the Switch to be more like PS4 - but, if anything, I think that the reverse is true...they just seem to have taken so many backwards steps since the glory days of the PS2. The PS4 is the most disappointing console I've ever owned - no question.

EDIT: While I'm on the subject of PS4, another unpopular opinion: No Man's Sky is one of the best games on that console! ..I absolutely loved it - the experience genuinely left me feeling awestruck! ..the PS4 ain't all bad! (also available on PC )

Hahahaha...
I think you were Right about PS4.
The games for PS4 become even boring than PS2, even though i can get some Acceptable PS4 games (But not as many as PS2 / PS1 games on my list)

Anti-Matter

Malcrash

@NaviAndMii
-It held true in 2013, but right now? It has a whole lot of great exclusives, like Horizon Zero Dawn, Ratchet & Clank, Uncharted 4 (Lost Legacy is a runner up), Yakuza 0 and now, more recently, the Shadow of the Colossus remake and plenty of good console exclusives. Plus, the majority of Microsoft's exclusives are also on PC, almost making the XBone almost a worthless investment.
-The PSN is not fantastic, but I never had any severe issues with the service aside from the occasional brownout. PSPlus is improving on the quality of games which I appreciate.
-I think the Dualshock 4 is on every of the best controllers of this generation, right next to the Switch Pro Controller. Never had too much of an issue with battery life. Not as good as the joy cons, but average.
-This I can agree on. Sony not agreeing on full cross play is a huge issue.
The PlayStation 3 was the Wii U or the Xbox One of Sony's lineup of consoles and I felt the PS4 was a step up despite some flaws (and brought in the annoyances of current console gaming(I know this is an opinionated statement, but I just wanted to get my two cents out of the way)

Malcrash

Twitter:

NaviAndMii

Hey, I knew it'd be unpopular! (..but I knew you'd get me @Anti-Matter! )

I was just looking at my game collection and realised that I almost have as many Switch games as I do for my PS4 - and my Switch library is growing at a more rapid rate - it'll overtake it in no time...just shows what I've, personally, made of the two platforms. I've really enjoyed some of the PS4 exclusives (Rocket League, No Man's Sky, GT Sport) - but not as many as I thought I would - and I just feel like I've played comparatively few 'classics' than I have on previous consoles. I definitely agree with @Buizel about Xbox exclusives () - the fact that they're all also on PC just screams 'build a new gaming rig instead' at me! ..but I think that Nintendo has better exclusive content than either of them - and there's more to excite me (and a lot in my backlog already!)

With PSN - it goes down way too often. It goes down more than XBL ever did on my 360 - and I don't think that the Switch has had an 'unplanned outage' yet (? - at least none that I've experienced) ..but the PS4 has been the victim of a few DDoS attacks, regular outages - and even went down 3 times in just one week recently! ..it just seems 'sub par'

As for the DualShock 4 - from a full charge - I cannot play for an extended session without plug-and-charging...they claim the battery life is '6 hours', but I swear I'm lucky to get 2 out of either of mine these days - the Joy-Con, by comparison, have a claimed '20 hours' of juice - which I can neither confirm nor deny as they've never been close to dying on me! ..I just feel that they should've spent a bit more on the battery - particularly if the light-bar was going to be such a drain! It's not uncomfortable or anything - I don't think I've ever used a (first-party) controller that I've ever disliked - it's just the battery...an unusual and unexpected 'black mark' for the controller.

It's interesting that @Malcrash thought that the PS3 was Sony's 'low point' instead...I had a 360 (and a Wii) that generation - and I only got it because all of my mates had one (didn't really put any thought in to it) - but I ended up enjoying it quite a lot! ..but, as I'd been a 'PS2 guy' the generation before, I'd often have a tinge of doubt about whether I'd have been better of sticking with Sony instead - the PS2 gave me such good times (one of my favourite consoles) it almost felt 'disloyal' to switch to Xbox - the PS4 pulled me back in, but I just feel that it hasn't been the 'PS2 level' experience I was kind of expecting it to be (in my unpopular opinion!)

Edited on by NaviAndMii

LuckyLand

I don't know much about the PS4. I'd like to play the new God of war (I love God of war 2, but honestly I was extremely disappointed by God of war 3. This new one seems to take a different approach and I find it intriguing) but I have to say I really hated the PS3.
I had really a lot of fun with PS1 and PS2. I loved the PS1 (the N64 was the first home console I bought, the PS1 was the second one but I consider the PS1 my first home console actually) and I love the PS2 still now but really there are only two games I really like a lot and care about for PS3 and none of them is an exclusive. For me it was a complete failure. Sony with PS3 just decided to blindly copy what Microsoft did with the XBox and I will never understand why since PS2 was much more succesful than the XBox. There was no reason to do such a thing but they just decided to do so I really will never understand why

I used to be a ripple user like you, then I took The Arrow in the knee

Octane

@LuckyLand Cory Barlog, the director of the new God of War, also directed God of War 2. He left the company after God of War 2, but he returned after 3, and now he's doing the new one. So there's that.

Edited on by Octane

Octane

LuckyLand

@Octane ok now I am even more tempted

kkslider5552000

I feel like I'm risking repeating myself but in case I haven't...

Kirby's Dreamland 2 is one of the best Kirby games. Mostly because it's just Adventure with a new twist, which is fine by me.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Ralizah

@NaviAndMii The battery life does indeed suck, but the DS4 is a good controller otherwise. Too bad we'll likely never get a revision that ditches the useless gimmicks for increased battery life.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Pianist88

@CreamyDream I am always surprised by how little people appreciate KDL3. It looks and sounds great. It plays well. I honestly go back to it as often as I go back to Super Star.

If you like piano and/or organ music:
https://youtu.be/9k8r2bSpcWE

McGruber

Pretty much all of my gaming opinions are unpopular:

3DS is a better handheld than Switch
Switch aint [removed] without a web browser (joking...)
Gamestop really isn't that bad. I like them.

Edited on by Octane

McGruber

Nintendo Network ID: McGruber

NEStalgia

@Ralizah What useless gimmicks?! I use my Map Rectangle all the time!

And the big light.....actually I don't have a joke for that one since it's actually used for VR it's no longer the laughing stock it once was. It's got a legit function now that's critical to usage. Only Nintendo does stupid gimmics. Sony never does.

Untitled

NEStalgia

TuVictus

The only thing I hate about DS4 is the battery life. If they could fix that, I don't think I'd use anything else for gaming

TuVictus

NEStalgia

@NaviAndMii It depends on how you're using it. My PS4 collected dust most of the time from launch. 3DS and WiiU dominated my gaming time. Then Switch launched and the PS didn't even get booted at ALL until I got my PSVR kit on Black Friday.... However since then (I haven't touched the VR in a month because I moved some furniture and have no place to put the camera for now! ) I've changed my internet and dove back into looking at digital sales and such. And now I'm having the time of my life with PS4 and find it's a really great console. I think with PS4 the thrill is really in the digital. I wasn't enjoying it as a disc reader as much, because of installs, and patches and all the hassle. Once I started paying attention to their weekly sales and the $5 flash sales and trying all kinds of games I might otherwise have skipped, and having them all ready to download.....it made it really fun. I'd never (ever) buy a game full price digital-only instead of retail disc. But half the fun of the platform I think is the big playground of cheap stuff to play with. But without being heavily vested in the download experience it wasn't as fun. Everything was clunky. Also the PS4 Pro upgrade made load times and frame rates better...which ultimately I think improved my daily perception of it. It's not actually very different at all, but the subtleties affect me I guess.

The controller. Wake me when sony makes a good controller. They haven't made one yet. That battery though: Launch era console? Yeah...that bit me too. And the rubber falling off. The second gen controllers got much much tighter. They also don't creak. However I fixed my controller woes with a very expensive, wired Razer (that isn't "officially" for sale in the US) It just feels so good to play with I don't even notice the horribly horribly placed sticks Those first controllers were GARBAGE. The battery ran out by the time you pressed up on the stick.

Games....that's the only place I really disagree. The huge catalog of games from every scale and taste is really unmatched. Yeah the AAAs are meh usually. The exclusives, though.....Horizon, P5, some of the crazier Japan stuff, R&C, GR, and yes, I like Knack......there's my unpopular opinion for the day I think that and the bigger mutliplats combine for a really compelling library.

My recent laundry list of games I've picked up on the recent sales:
Hitman, The Magic Circle, Jazzpunk, Mirror's Edge (rebought, bought originally at launch), DX: MD (free on plus last mo...but I have the day one disc), Thumper (can't go wrong with thumper, have it on Switch too), Saint's Row Re-Elected (That game is not at all like I imagined it was and is actually quite funny), The Crew (everyone hates the physics and rubberband AI but it's a really fun open world online racer), Divinity: Original Sin, quite a few others I've forgotten (can't go wrong for $5....) It's been fun just experimenting with some of these games. Some are throw-away and some are far more engrossing than I imagined.

Switch is still my #1 platform for sure. Can't beat the hybrid. And I wish all those PS games were on my Switch at the same price. But it's still a neat ecosystem with some fun features.

XBox does lack exclusives.....that's a serious issue for it as it's now basically a "consolified PC" which isn't a bad thing, in fact at $500 for the X1X it's a good thing.....but it has no identity. No surprise PS4 wins.

NEStalgia

NaviAndMii

@Ralizah Haha! Very true!

@NEStalgia You make a good point - it could just be that I find a lot of the major franchises to be 'stale' ..I should probably raid the pre-owned section of my local game store to see if I can't grab a few bargains and perhaps uncover a gem or two that I'd otherwise overlooked

I've just found a lot of the bigger titles to be highly overrated...one example that immediately springs to mind is Uncharted 4 - one of the games that people always point to as being a 'must buy' - but it's barely even a game! ..it felt more like I was just watching a half-decent movie with a controller in my hands - if I wanted to do that, I'd put the controller down and watch an awesome movie instead! ..and I just seem to keep stumbling upon similar disappointments - but maybe I just haven't been casting my net wide enough - a bargain bin raid could be just the solution I've been looking for!

Edited on by NaviAndMii

NEStalgia

@NaviAndMii Haha, well you're not the first to accuse Naughty Dog of making walking simulators.

I found Uncharted 4 to have the most game play in the series, honestly. 1 was just repetitive Hogan's Alley with better graphics. Then zombies, because i don't know! 2 and 3 were much better, but 4 actually remembered to add a game in there with climbing puzzles and such. I can't fault that one a lot. Uncharted but with gameplay was kind of an improvement for the series

I still insist (unpoplar thread time) that Jak & Daxter was an abysmally awful series that at it's best hit mediocre, and at its worst was a disjointed, chaotic unnavigable mess. Uncharted was a move upward for ND overall.

I've also learned that Nolan North can make any game fun somehow. Put someone else in as the lead actor and the game probably feels a lot worse. Saint's Row Re-Elected is kind of so-so and budget. Throw in the Nolan North oice over and it becomes an awesome AAA. (Speaking of bargain bin raids, that's how I got into Saint's Row and a few others )

NEStalgia

LuckyLand

I don't like Jak & Daxter either, it is the worst thing Naughty dog made. I played Uncharted 1 I don't like it too much but I think it is good anyway. Crash Bandicoot is the best Naughty Dog game imho

LuckyLand

I don't know if this one is unpopular or not, or even if anybody ever cared, but:
I think that Nights is a very interesting game because of its uniqueness and charm, but at the same time I think it is extremely flawed, almost undeniably bad. I'm glad to have it on Steam, I enjoy playing it every now and then but it is so incredibly flawed. I have read that Sega cancelled Sonic Xtreme back then because they were not sure about the quality of the final product. My opinion is that Sonic Xtreme would have been much, MUCH better than Nights for sure. And also much better than Sonic Adventure.

Another opinion that I believe is unpopular: I HATE, really HATE with all my soul the beginning and first stage of Super Mario Odyssey. It is a Mario game, we all know how important and influential Mario games are, and it begins with a bland, uninspired and blatant rip-off of Nightmare Before Christmas. It is totally shameful expecially for a game that is so important, valuable and esteemed. It is the worst starting point a game like this can have. The rest of the game is great, it really has the quality and uniqueness you would expect from a Mario game, but the beginning is plain horrible and underwhelming imo

LzWinky

It's totally a rip-off. After all, Nightmare before Christmas had hats everywhere!

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic