Forums

Topic: Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Posts 5,461 to 5,480 of 12,088

Ralizah

@GameOtaku It does the Super Mario Sunshine sandbox platformer thing, but on a vastly bigger scale. Its central mechanic turns how you interact with enemies and the world itself into an extended form of puzzle solving. It brings back mechanics, characters, etc. from all throughout Nintendo's history and combines them in all sorts of weird and wonderful ways. And that's just what I've gathered from the bits of footage we've seen: who knows how much more there is to this game!

Creativity isn't just about coming up with stuff that nobody has ever seen before. That almost never happens, as almost every development in a medium builds upon earlier innovations. It's an impossible standard of creativity that nothing can reach. Creativity also arises from combining existing things in new ways to create new experiences. Timers in video games are nothing new. Neither are apocalyptic settings. Neither is the concept of changing one's form to resemble someone else. Yet that doesn't mean that Majora's Mask wasn't an exceptionally creative Zelda game. Same applies to Mario Odyssey.

If you don't dig the look of the game, that's perfectly fine. Not everybody has to like the same stuff. But let's not pretend that SMO isn't creative just because it's not inventing brand new concepts that nobody has ever attempted before.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

GameOtaku

@CreamyDream @Ralizah
Sunshine improves over what Luigis Mansion did and both were fun games and fresh. There are other switch games coming out at the same time as this and aren't get the hype they deserve just because Mario runs on the beach stirring controversy .

GameOtaku

GameOtaku

@CreamyDream
"Yeah that mansion game had a vacuum and was a hit so now what do we do?"

" Add spraying instead of suction and throw in some platforming and call it sunshine!"

GameOtaku

Reignmaker

Sure, I'll bite:

• Warcraft 3 is the greatest video game ever made
  • JRPGs are generally very much inferior to WRPGs
  • Mario has an annoying voice, and so does Mickey Mouse.
  • Link should ditch the green floppy elf hat for good
  • The PC master race wins the console war every year
  • Nintendo Life's reviews are actually pretty fair for the most part

Reignmaker

GrailUK

Yoshi should be banned from Mario Kart, because he only has paws and cannot be in control of a vehicle. He is endangering the lives of everyone on the track.

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

CanisWolfred

GameOtaku wrote:

@CreamyDream
"Yeah that mansion game had a vacuum and was a hit so now what do we do?"

" Add spraying instead of suction and throw in some platforming and call it sunshine!"

Pretty sure Miyamoto and Co. were going through a "using real-life mundane things as inspiration" phase during the Gamecube era. Not only that, but have you actually played Luigi's Mansion? It plays absolutely nothing Super Mario Sunshine. It's not about whether or not they're using something attached to their backs...that was just just kind of a trend in platformers back then, actually. It's more about how they're used, how they fit into the broader picture...for God's Sake, they're not even the same genre.

Look, I'm not even gonna debate whether or not that was really how they came up with Super Mario Sunshine...because there is no debate, there are publicly available interviews to refute that. I just think you're...basically just trolling. I was going to find a nicer way of saying it, but no, trolling fits. Kneejerking, making things up, talking out of your bumhole, just trying to sound hip and cool, whatever else you want to call it, all of that can easily fit into the category of trolling.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Haru17

Nintendo secretly sent most of its employees to a hellish alternate dimension around 2009 and is now just one guy and a bunch of holograms making every game, phonein' it in.

Edited on by Haru17

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

gcunit

Reminder - this thread is about unpopular gaming opinions that you hold, not about lazy troll posts that have no basis in sanity

Edited on by gcunit

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

gcunit

@MegaTen You amongst others. Were your Other M post an honest-held opinion then it would seem appropriate to back it up with your reasoning, rather than just dangle it like bait.

Octane

@MegaTen Not sure if one game is better than three, but I do think Other M gets a lot flak it doesn't deserve. Definitely an underrated game.

Octane

Haru17

Some things are important even if they aren't necessarily true.

kkslider5552000

Saying you like Other M more than the Prime trilogy is cool.

Saying Other M is better than the Prime trilogy is, at the very least, insulting to fundamentals on how great video game design works and natural storytelling as well.

I would not say Naruto is a better anime than Cowboy Bebop, despite liking Naruto more than Cowboy Bebop. For example.

KryptoKrunch wrote:

-Paper Mario n64 > Paper Mario TYD
-Paper Mario Sticker Star, Mario and Luigi Paper Jam and Triforce Heroes were all enjoyable.
-Star Fox Zero and Kid Icarus Uprising controls weren't bad.

I entirely agree with this.
The use of "enjoyable" instead of "great video games" and "weren't bad" over "were objectively great get over it" makes me happy.

Edited on by kkslider5552000

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

gcunit

@MegaTen I've added a smiley to my 'reminder' in the hope of addressing your concerns. I wholeheartedly apologise if my words upset you. I was only attempting to lightheartedly broach the recent pattern (i.e. not just you) in this thread of some 'out-there' opinions being shared without solid justifications being offered, almost as if they were being posted for effect.

I acknowledge I am a bit of a brute and too often assume people are reading my posts with a similar sense of humour to the one I'm writing them with.

Haru17

No, this regulating opinion stuff is full of it. If you're offended by an opinion about video games and not, like, racism or anything then it's your own fault.

gcunit

@Haru17 I don't think anyone's offended by, or regulating, opinions here, I just thought, to keep the thread interesting for its readers, I'd encourage people to add some meat to the bones of their posts. No posts have been edited, no sanctions dealt - no need for any butthurt as far as I can see.

Edited on by gcunit

CanisWolfred

gcunit wrote:

@Haru17 I don't think anyone's offended by, or regulating, opinions here, I just thought, to keep the thread interesting for its readers, I'd encourage people to add some meat to the bones of their posts. No posts have been edited, no sanctions dealt - no need for any butthurt as far as I can see.

I agree with this just based on the fact that a lot of these 1-sentence posts, or bulleted lists of rapid-fire one-liners really aren't interesting to read, IMO. I mean, sure "Starfox Adventures > Star Fox 64" would still count as being on topic, but you know what? That's just your opinion, bro. No response needed. I mean, sure, I could inquire as to how feel that way, or even just emote and say "waa waaa you're wrong and should feel wrong!" but...that would require that I actually care. Which I don't. Honestly, my eyes just sort of glaze over posts like that these days. There's just not much to discuss that I haven't already encountered a million times, and that's assuming the person isn't trolling - and without any reasoning given for that opinion, there's nothing to tell me you aren't just saying whatever you think will get a rise out of people for the lolz.

Not only that, but threads like this are good opportunities to discuss different opinions that you may have, so why not explain it? It's not even like I'm asking for an essay, I just need something to chew on, so I can maybe reply back, or at least acknowledge that you might have a point and maybe even relate to you, or even agree with what you just said.

Just pointing out something that's kind of bugged me in threads like these, even if it's not necessarily a problem.

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

GameOtaku

@CanisWolfred
Fire Emblem Warriors deserves some hype, so does Nights of Azure 2 (which is what I'm getting over Odyssey). I don't get all the excitement over 3D games unless it has something really unique either mechanically or visually. I prefer Mario and the other games I mentioned to stay in 2D where they started and are well received. Sure I had no basis for those claims they are opinions and opinions are like butts some smell.

GameOtaku

GameOtaku

@DarthNocturnal
Exactly my point Mario doesn't need the hype to sell its a popular franchise that's had few if any bombs. Metroid needs the hype, Fire emblem needs the hype, Azure needs hype!

GameOtaku

CanisWolfred

GameOtaku wrote:

@CanisWolfred
Fire Emblem Warriors deserves some hype, so does Nights of Azure 2 (which is what I'm getting over Odyssey). I don't get all the excitement over 3D games unless it has something really unique either mechanically or visually. I prefer Mario and the other games I mentioned to stay in 2D where they started and are well received. Sure I had no basis for those claims they are opinions and opinions are like butts some smell.

I have no idea if you "@"-ed me on purpose or not, but I'll just say that we're probably not going to agree on that subject. Especially Nights of Azure 2. I have nothing positive to say about that series, and I'm leaving it at that, or else this might really turn into a flame war...

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

SMEXIZELDAMAN

Here's an opinion for you: video games suck.

Check out SUBLIME GAMER, my YouTube Channel
God loves you

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic