Haruki_NLI

I like Unity as a game engine.

Untitled

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

96OopAmgems

Another very unpopular opinion of mine is that I think Final Fantasy 15 sucks. Sure FFversus13 looked awesome back when it was announced but Square Enix took Final Fantasy in such a wierd direction that I think it is not a traditional Jrpg anymore. Now I prefer the Dragon Quest franchise over Final Fantasy. People thought turned based battles are boring but Persona 5 proves wrong.

96OopAmgems

ThatNyteDaez

Xenoblade Chronicles X had a terrible battle system and the character creation was barebones at best from what I expected. Loved the rest of the game but I literally couldn't bring myself to finish it. The game also wasn't very clear at points regarding what you needed to do so I found myself walking around in circles more than I would like.

Never take anything I say seriously. S'all you buddy. ;)
Mainly play on my Switch but I have 3DS, Wii U and PS4 as well.
Fave game series include: Pokemon, Smash Bros, Splatoon, Disgaea, Bayonetta, Dragons Dogma, Phantasy Star & Arena of Valor.

Switch Friend Code: SW-1089-6841-7799 | 3DS Friend Code: 5455-9887-9271 | My Nintendo: ThatNyteDaez | Nintendo Network ID: Rhydas | Twitter:

R_Champ

MegaButterfree wrote:

MegaButterfree wrote:

I like Xbox better than PlayStation.
I didn't like Red Dead Redemption at all.
I don't like most Jrpgs.
Wind Waker had great dungeons.
I love the Wii U gamepad & think it's a very comfortable controller.
Most of the current generation has been underwhelming & unoriginal.
I can't get into Fire Emblem, Xenoblade, or Monster Hunter.

Want to add:
I didn't like Skyrim. It just didn't click with me. Fallout 3 is a much better game.
Xbox One has more appealing exclusives to me than PS4, plus overall better console/controller design.
There's nothing wrong with being a "casual" gamer, let people enjoy their games how they want to.

I liked Skyrim, but agree Fallout 3 was the much better game. I always thought Xbox has had a MUCH better controller than Playstation. The Playstation controller's sticks are too close together and the whole thing feels cramped, the triggers suck, the buttons are too flat, and the d-pad is complete garbage (only the original floaty 360 d-pad was worse). I always laugh when reviewers, fanboys, and youtubers go on and on and on about how much better the PS controller is than everything else because I've always thought it was trash. Easily the longest lasting medoicre controller. I never really noticed back when I was a PS fanboy because all I did was play JRPGs, which don't require great controls, but any games that requires tight controls feels like way too much of a chore on PS4.

Also, I think e-sports are extremely overrated.

Nintendo & Steam ID: R_Champ

Peek-a-boo

MegaButterfree wrote:

I like Xbox better than PlayStation.
I didn't like Red Dead Redemption at all.
I don't like most JRPGs.
The Wind Waker had great dungeons.
I love the Wii U GamePad, and I think it's a very comfortable controller.
Most of this current generation has been underwhelming and unoriginal.
I cannot get into Fire Emblem, Xenoblade or Monster Hunter.
I did not like Skyrim. It just didn't click with me. Fallout 3 is a much better game.
Xbox One has more appealing exclusives to me than PS4, plus overall better console/controller design.
There's nothing wrong with being a "casual" gamer; let people enjoy their games how they want to.

@MegaButterfree Aside from a few particular points, you and I are as different as chalk and cheese!

Outside of Sunset Overdrive, Ori and the Blind Forest and Forza Horizon 3, I don't think the Xbox One has offered a particularly compelling software line-up. Their line-up for the past seven or eight months, since last September (when Forza Horizon 3 was released), has been virtually non-existence too.

I personally feel that the Xbox brand has diluted quite a bit since their mid-to-late Xbox 360 days.

Red Dead Redemption was a chore for me to play as I am not one for watching a Western film or anything within the genre itself so, that probably doesn't help with my admittedly unpopular perception of the game.

I have only played the likes of Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King, Final Fantasy VII and IX, Grandia, Suikoden II and Vagrant Story however, I had a really good time with them all to the point that Final Fantasy VII ended up being my favourite game of all time.

Unfortunately, due to a combination of growing up (I only played them when I was a carefree kid) and not having the time to justify sinking hundreds of hours into them, I simply don't play them anymore...

The Wind Waker had great dungeons! There may not have been as many as Ocarina of Time, but they all had their own characteristics and were a joy to finish. I enjoyed revisiting them just as much in the HD remaster as I did when I first stumbled through them on the GameCube.

In the end, I played 90% of Wii U games with the Pro Controller.

It offers 60+ hours of continuous battery life (against a measly 3 or 4 on the GamePad), is one of the most comfortablest controllers I have ever used and it is just nice to have the option of playing games with a traditional pad. These factors meant that my GamePad was left in the dock all the while. I won't miss it.

Fire Emblem, Monster Hunter and Xenoblade Chronicles are all overwhelming time sinks that I have no desire of trying let alone playing. I am sure they are perfectly good games within their respective genres, but not for somebody who takes nearly a month - or longer - to complete a twenty hour game nowadays.

Last but not least, I didn't like Fallout 3 that much however, I thoroughly enjoyed playing New Vegas. Felt like a proper Fallout RPG compared to a Fallout (3) themed game that lacked any fundamental conversation choices or skill-based options. Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim are not my kind of games.

I don't even like the term 'causal gamer'. Everybody's different. I like a bit of everything, whether the games I play are on a mobile phone, an iPad or a home console. I always try to keep an open mind too.

Oops, that went on much longer than I expected!

Edited on by Peek-a-boo

Peek-a-boo

Whydoievenbother

I think that a good movie out of classic video game IP (Mario, Sonic, Zelda, DOOM, Streets of Rage, etc.) is not only possible, I'll bet that one will happen within the next ten-to-fifteen years.

Also, Indiana Jones and The Fate of Atlantis deserves more love. It was a really solid adventure game and a great example of how to make a game feel like it's source material.

"I'll take a potato chip... AND EAT IT!"
Light Yagami, Death Note
"Ah, the Breakfast Club soundtrack! I can't wait 'til I'm old enough to feel ways about stuff!"
Phillip J. Fry, Futurama

LzWinky

Final Fantasy is awful. Dragon Quest blows it out of the water.

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

Koke

The Game Boy Pocket is the best way to play Game Boy games. (Not the Super Game Boy or SP AGS-101.)

Also, Enter the Matrix is a good game.

Koke

shaneoh

Whydoievenbother wrote:

Also, Indiana Jones and The Fate of Atlantis deserves more love. It was a really solid adventure game and a great example of how to make a game feel like it's source material.

I've never heard anyone say anything bad about the game, it is a fantastic game.

Koke wrote:

Also, Enter the Matrix is a good game.

It would have been a good game for me if they did the PC port properly. A BSoD at the start of a certain level regardless of hardware used rendered it unfinishable.

The Greatest love story ever, Rosie Love (part 33 done)
The collective noun for a group of lunatics is a forum. A forum of lunatics.
I'm belligerent, you were warned.

Whydoievenbother

@shaneoh It's not that it's hated, but that no one talks about it.

"I'll take a potato chip... AND EAT IT!"
Light Yagami, Death Note
"Ah, the Breakfast Club soundtrack! I can't wait 'til I'm old enough to feel ways about stuff!"
Phillip J. Fry, Futurama

Peek-a-boo

@MegaButterfree I didn't expect you to acknowledge one, let alone a handful of my points! I have a terrible tendency to get carried away with words when I get stuck in; I apologise for that.

I have been a lifelong Nintendo fan, and the Wii was the first Nintendo home console that I felt was dishearteningly underwhelming, despite providing me, my friends and my family abundance of joy whilst playing Wii Sports together as well as having an immense amount of fun with Super Mario Galaxy 2.

It was there and then that I decided to glance over the fence to see what was on the other side for the very first time. The PlayStation 3 was far too expensive for me at the time so, I got an Xbox 360 and those three years or so that followed were absolutely brilliant. I even - gasped - liked the Kinect!

As you said so yourself, the mandatory inclusion of Kinect, the 24 hour online checks (DRM), the whole American focussed 'TV TV TV!' and all that 'your all-in-one entertainment system' bobbins for the Xbox One unveiling made me realised that I was no longer their target audience.

As you probably know yourself, it was a drastic enough change to get people looking the other way. And so I did, by going back to Nintendo (3DS and Wii U) and buying my very first PlayStation home console.

I think that the Xbox brand does its own thing nowadays, and doesn't seem to (want to) directly compete with Nintendo and Sony with their mostly single-player focussed games that are often more memorable than not.

Everybody's different.

I agree with both of your other two points too.

My avatar is beaming after seeing Zelda (your avatar) giving Link a cheeky wink, ha ha!

Edited on by Peek-a-boo

Peek-a-boo

NaviAndMii

The Wheel (with Tilt Controls) is the superior way to play Mario Kart! ..yep, I'm 'that guy' - haha!

🎮 Adult Switch Gamers: Thread | Discord | Guilded

Switch Friend Code: SW-0427-7196-3801 | Twitter:

ThomGee

Here's some of my many unpopular gaming opinions:

-I hate Super Mario 64. A lot. I think it's an outdated mess of a game that barely holds up today. And SM64DS was my first DS game!

-I also thought that Breath of the Wild was not really worth the extreme hype. It's an incredible game, but I haven't touched it in a while.

-I dislike Mario RPGs.

-Animal Crossing, to me, is incredibly tedious and boring.

-The original DS line was a pretty bad line with few amazing games.

Edited on by ThomGee

ThomGee

My Nintendo: ThomGee | Nintendo Network ID: WakerOfWindsHD

Ryu_Niiyama

@TheLZdragon Isn't that a popular opinion? FF is only more popular than DQ in the west.

I wish that fighting games would stop putting in story modes...I just want good netcode and a balanced game. Tutorials and combo labs can stay though. I think SF V did a good job from the start; it had a good combo lab/training mode. Still doesn't beat VF4 or even VF 5 in that aspect though (or in gameplay but that is neither here nor there).

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

LzWinky

And where is this thread based? The west

I rest my case

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

skywake

I know others have said this quite a few times but I've been thinking about it so I'll say it again. I think the used market for games is pretty broken. I know people argue that you own a game in the same way you own an album or movie you buy physically. But people don't consume games in the same way.

For example Zelda:BotW, a fantastic game. Probably one of my favourite games in a long while. But I've beaten it now. Ignoring the DLC for a second I could sell this game and get some of that money back. Being purely rational about it, why I wouldn't do that? On the other hand the new King Gizzard album I got at the same time I've listened to three times now. I'm not done with it. You don't consume albums like that. If you like a bit of music or a movie you'll keep it so you can watch or listen to it again later.

The only reason people ever sell their CD, DVD, Vinyl, BluRay collection is when they're selling the lot. Clearing room or maybe it's an estate selling off their stuff. If you go to a second hand shop and look at their DVDs firstly it'll be DVDs and not BluRay but you're also unlikely to find much that's less than about ten years old. You're also unlikely to find any used stuff at a place that sells physical copies of music and movies. Compare that to games, walk into your local GameStop equivalent and the first thing you'll see is a bin full of games from last season.

People consume games differently so the issues with the grey market are different. And it's kinda understandable that the publishers get a bit worked up about it. Also why they're only getting worked up about it now and not decades ago. Games don't go out or print now, if you can buy a game used for $30 it'd be better for everyone if instead you downloaded it for $40.

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

kkslider5552000

I partially agree, partially don't. But at the end of the day, the counterpoint of used games is an inherently worse alternative based on what AAA game companies can be like.

It also doesn't feel like it matters as much anymore, when any non-massively hyped/popular game is relegated to a limited retail release (usually after starting as digital only).

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

skywake

@Nintendoer
I agree with you about Super Mario 64 and I'd take it even further. With very few exceptions I think that the N64's library is pretty average if you want to play them today. Just about everything on the N64 is borderline unplayable by today's standards. At least with the 2D platforms before that games usually looked decent and ran well. The N64 is full of fake looking 2D backdrops, muddy textures, nauseating camera angles and horrible framerates.

Though I'm more than happy to give Zelda a pass....

@kkslider5552000
Well I agree that the alternative is a bit crappy in some aspects. But in terms of how much gamers spend and how much on average game-makers get from gamers? I think the PC market is probably better for both parties. PC gamers get more content for their money and game-makers get a greater average return per user.

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic