Forums

Topic: Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Posts 5,281 to 5,300 of 12,088

Xyphon22

@diwdiws I like that there are many ways to attack the same problem. I was just bemoaning the fact that it was a perfectly fine path down the mountain that I was able to go down with no problems whatsoever, yet somehow three of them fell to their deaths. I was grateful because it made the quest much easier, I just don't know how or why it happened. I'm assuming the same won't happen with Dagon or whoever they ultimate boss is, though, so I will probably have to start fighting properly eventually.

Xyphon22

3DS Friend Code: 5069-3937-8083

BigBadJohn

I hate retro gaming. There's lots of games from my past that I remember being amazing but when I revisit them I find they are slow, boring or ugly. This then ruins my memory of them. Gaming standards have moved on and the games of today are so much more involved and creative compared to games of the past. I know it's not a popular opinion and I know people are clambering for VC on the Switch but I really don't want them.

SW-5512-0541-9236

Name the movie quote "Toolshed!"

gcunit

@BigBadJohn Generally I don't have any interest in paying good money for old games, or for investing time in them when I have a yuuuge backlog of more modern games to get through.

But, when I do find myself drawn back to do some classics (e.g. I'd never played Super Mario Bros., having grown up with an Amiga and Great Giana Sisters, but bought the 25th anniversary Wii collection and only recently started playing it), the challenge is still there. Particularly if you don't know the game indie out, tricky sections are still tricky, and therefore I can still appreciate them.

tl;dr - I'm not clamoring to buy any VC, but the great games never lose what made them great, regardless of what's come since.

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

BigBadJohn

@gcunit I'm sure there are games that stand the test of time. I'm probably basing this of two separate incidents. Firstly Altered Beast. I remember playing this game in arcades when I was a kid. The character animations where fantastic, the scrolling background was beautiful and the overall game was well balanced. It had this great concept that after collecting enough power ups you changed into a wolfman or a bear or a flying dragon type thing. I remember one Christmas getting it on the Megadrive (I was always a Sega kid)and me and my sister would stay up so late trying to beat the game. It was a massive part of my childhood. A couple of years ago I dug out my old Megadrive and dusty copy of Altered Beast. It was trash. Everything I remember about this game was wrong. The animations where poor, the enemies where stupid and the gameplay was incredibly slow and dull. Ruined my memories of having such a great time with this game. The other was The Secret Of Monkey Island 2: Le Chucks Revenge (on the Amiga funnily enough). Dropped so many hours into that game. It was the antithesis of the graphic adventure genre and was out of this world. Looked gorgeous, was incredibly funny and the puzzles where so challenging. The story was intricate and had such a fantastic twist at the end. Downloaded it recently on the SCUMM network and found that most of the puzzles don't make any logical sense. The artwork isn't nearly as good as I remembered and the point and click game play often falls into the "click everywhere till something happens" trap. Again ruined my memories of a classic game. Now I'm not saying that these games weren't good in their time but things have moved on. I don't even mind retro inspired games. Enjoyed Blaster Master Zero and I think Shovel Knight is fantastic. I should never look back as there is only disappointment and broken dreams there.

SW-5512-0541-9236

Name the movie quote "Toolshed!"

World

@BigBadJohn I like retro gaming just as much as I like modern games. To me, games are just games. But I'd say that the retro games I prefer are ones I did not play growing up, just like the modern ones I like are ones that don't get so much press that I feel like I have no need of playing it.

I like getting those new-old experiences and I struggle to understand those people who have copies of Super Mario Bros 3 on every console they own. Like you, I'm not a huge fan of the VC but I think I would be if they'd put more imports and obscurities on it.

Also, Altered Beast is one of the worst games of all time. I don't think that's an unpopular opinion.

World

NEStalgia

@Ryu_Niiyama Actually you sound like what I'd consider a big modder Even on PC. Not a single mod was downloaded. The game played off the disc with offical patches and that was as far as it goes. If the dev can't offer a compelling experience on the disc then why am I paying them $60, I should be playing indie games made by the modders if it's that much better!

Seriously Bethesda's running a racket if they can put out slipshod games, not QA them, never run proper fixes for them because they know their USERS will do all that work FOR them! That's not behavior to support in any way. I don't hate Bethesda, but that's just not cool. If their users stopped doing their work for them either they'd have to do it or they'd see their games vanish from awareness fast. They're using volunteer work to turn a profit. Appearance mods and such are fine. Not my thing, but there's nothing wrong with it. But the fixes and "content needed to make the game fun" That's just a bad game and some free indie games added in

I started console (NES) spent a good decade or so exclusively PC, steeped in PC culture, and hardware failure after hardware failure, hardware obsolescence after hardware obsolescence ("top of the spec this month, 6 months from now 'on you're not going to get THIS game to run on that old hardware!'" and the requisite full system rebuilt to accommodate the new graphics bus of the era.) It was too much. And I'm a physical/retail buyer only (with a handful of exceptions like MK and Splatoon, and download-only smaller games). Once Steam came on the scene and made digital the norm and physical vanished, I was out for good.

So, an update on the Setsuna thing. I FINALLY managed to get it on Friday, so yeah, just under a month to get the darned game. They apparently DID ship it EMS, even though I selected unregistered airmail I guess I got a "free upgrade" to EMS which makes it ever more explicable that it took a MONTH to get here and didn't ship for 2 weeks or so while it was in stock. Not sure what exactly they were doing or if that's normal for them. Maybe they lost it under the sofa and shipped it "eventually" At least, so far, the game is better than I expected it to be. Dreary and depressing, but charming and with character and an interesting take on the ATB but with too little instruction to understand it without experimenting. I like it. But it does suffer from "Bravely Default Syndrome (BDS)" where it feels like "tiny generic area to do grinding in, then a boss, then tiny generic area to do grinding in, then a boss" without a sense of exploration. Almost a stage-based RPG design more than a large world to explore. That's what turns me off BD as well. Though I'm enjoying combat here more than the dreary grind that is BD combat.

NEStalgia

Tibob

I think most games are too long. I'd love the opportunity for shorter gaming experiences (with replay value).

A game that was the perfect length imo was Limbo : it felt just a little bit too short (which is much better than the other way around), leaving me hungry enough for more so I can some day go back to it.

Tibob

Ryu_Niiyama

@NEStalgia Hmm, well if I'm at the point that I am buying a new GPU for mods I guess you are right. It is sorta sad how much console gaming limits PC, Skyrim can look so beautiful with the right texture mods.

Also yes it is a racket but at least the game gets fixed I suppose (looks at ps3 version of Skyrim).

https://afkmods.iguanadons.net/Unofficial%20Skyrim%20Legendar... -read and weep. Some bugs are introduced by the patches and then fixed in an updated patch but for the most part the fixes are to the game Bethesda shipped. It is quite disgusting.

Ah I do understand your PC woes. I like building honestly and I just recycle parts to make new machines for other things. I have a gaming PC, a work PC with no games on it, building a media server and a mame machine later. I also tend to give things away after I've used them so they don't go to waste. I gave my brother my recently replaced GPU (which ran everything I threw at it except Skryim when modded to death...and it took about 60GB of mods to reach that point) when I bought my GTX 980TI+. I always stay a gen behind when buying a new card on purpose because quite frankly with the way most devs optimize you can actually sit on last year's primo card for several years with no issues. I've never gotten into the upgrade every 5 second trend and it has worked well for me. I am lusting for a Surface Book but I want to buy a new solar telescope so decisions, decisions.

NES was my first console as well although it was more my mother's than mine. My amputation happened when I was 9 so I got really cozy with the SNES and LttP (now you know the source of my Zelda obsession...helped me deal with being stuck at home for nearly a year) so that is still the Nostalgia system for me. Although I'm going back and playing a few of the NES games I liked as a kid now. (except Darkman. F that game.)

I didn't actually get into PC until senior year of high school when I discovered Age of Mythology (RIP Ensemble Studios) started building in college and I have not looked back. That is my one love of the Twins is that they are blurring the line between console and PC more and more (which means one less box for me to buy) and since Sony and MS seem to be stepping away more and more from first party games, I don't have to keep buying every box under the sun and now just pick an exclusive box.

I'm glad you got I am Setsuna. I have it on PC so I don't think I'll double dip ATM. Which leads me to my unpopular opinion. I don't think that a system should line its library with ports that could be had on a directly previous system on the same line. As in no Ps3 to Ps4 ports. While not an absolute drain on resources it does still have a cost and short changes the early adopter. However I don't have an issue with games going from previous gens of two or more since VC/Classics/originals still fall short. I also think that instead of begging for Wiiu ports people should hammer for 3rd party games that we didn't get on the wiiu. Quite frankly I'm of a mind that if you wanted to play wiiu games you should have bought one. This is a consumer product and it isn't required to be "fair" because you are cheap/broke/can't save/whatever.

Edit: some text went missing...fixed.

Edited on by Ryu_Niiyama

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

NEStalgia

@Tibob IMO if a game is "too long" the problem is really that it's "too boring." I've played plenty of games that are too long, but then I play games that are technically huge, Zeldas, Tokyo Mirage, Fantasy Life and I feel like there's a giant hole in my life when it's done and wish it were just 300-400 hours longer A game that keeps it fun and addictive all the way through can't be too long.

NEStalgia

gcunit

Can't wait for FIFA Switch

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

NEStalgia

@Ryu_Niiyama Bethesda games are just....it's so wrong that there are people out there donating free time to fix what's broken in a commercial product that could have easily spent the same amount or LESS time (considering they have the source and assets open!) and didn't do it. Game Studios is a fun bunch and I like Todd, but honestly, whether it's his team or corporate at Zenimax, someone's either sleazy or incompetent to ship out games with bugs so glaring and easily fixable that volunteers can fix their problems without any of the internal documentation. I'll keep buying Bethesda games and being part of the problem, but I'll never stop calling them out on it!

That's the other thing with PC gaming. When I buy a console game I know that what I'm getting is the best it can be in this version (well not anymore with PS4 Pro and Scorpio!) but on PC you always have this sense that you're not getting the best version no matter HOW much you spend (assuming you can get the hardware to stay running, that is ) When you're OCD enough to always know you've done it right, that new video card that came out the day after yours shipped and 2 days before it was delivered will always gnaw at the back of your mind

To me Surface Book is "meh". The concept is cool. It's overpriced. Still useless/overpriced for games. But most importantly the keyboard is the most horrid steaming pile I've ever touched. For me the most important part of a laptop is the keyboard. it's what you use all the time. I tried every single laptop available in the store one day and out of about 100 or so laptops only 3 didn't have disastrously bad keyboards. I ended up with an HP Spectre for my fast & easy pick up and go machine (it's not the best, but it's thin, light, nicely made and the keyboard is "ok to decent" as opposed to "bad and unusable". For production its Thinkpad or bust for me these days.) You pay more, you get less, but the darn thing has a keyboard.

For me, anything that was a reminder of a traumatic event wouldn't make me nostalgic for it, I'd end up hating it! Yikes!

I used to love building....it got old with all the problems. I have a PC graveyard of parts and systems dating back to forever, but it would seem like I'd be running from problem to problem and as soon as one machine was back up and running another had a problem. I'd still enjoy the building. Just not the tweaking/configuring/maintaining that goes on after it

I know what you mean about previous gen ports...PS4 did the same. In the WiiU's case it's probably justified. Nobody bought the thing and great exclusive games floundered and failed. Switch is vindication for games that would otherwise have been lost and forgotten. PS/XB don't have that excuse. Well, okay, the X1 would...but it has no games anyway

NEStalgia

Ryu_Niiyama

@NEStalgia LOL the Surfacebook would be my observatory/manga drawing/programming computer (I refuse to put games on anything other than my gaming rig) so I think it is glorious. I totally agree about it being overpriced, but I said the same thing about the surface 3 pro...and now you will have to pry it from my cold dead fingers. Makes woodworking design a breeze. I don't mind the keyboard. I don't love it, but I can work with it just fine.

I'm not OCD (keeping up with the Joneses) so that might be why it works for me. I have a simple philosophy about my life. I want the best, but I don't require the very best. After all I've got champagne taste and soda money.

See...I just don't feel bad for the consumer at that point. They chose not to buy. Now if Nintendo has forecast that they will see a significant ROI such as with MK8D (I'm STILL on the fence) then fine I see the reasoning behind it but without new games my interest is going to wane. That is the tightrope they have to walk I guess. How to appease the cheapos and not turn your back on the customers that did buy your products. However like I said from a "this is a luxury product" standpoint I don't have a ton of sympathy. I'm pretty sure the guy that nearly rear ended me this morning in his Tesla isn't worrying if I can afford to buy one or not. You either do or you don't. I feel like electronics in general give more concessions to customers that other products wouldn't, often to still negative effect. Look at all the Nintedoomed still being flung around here. Which leads me to my other unpopular opinion:

Gaming is a luxury hobby, you shouldn't expect it to conform to your meager financial situation and if they do go back to cater to lapsed it is a boon not a given. Obviously I'm saying this for the people that want every new system to be 200 and come with a game and two controllers. Get a job, manage your money and then buy the system. Also I wish that games would stop shooting for looking photo realistic (as I cram more mods into skyrim to do just that) as they don't age well...and I'm getting close to the uncanny valley for too much stuff. I love Mirror Edge...have to play it with a trash can nearby. Or at least with the sound off.

...I really need MS to wow me come E3. I've decided I'm out for next (current gen started by the switch) gen but I at least want to ride out the rest of the one and not hate the darn thing. My vita has more value.

Edited on by Ryu_Niiyama

Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19

Ryu_Niiyama

gcunit wrote:

Can't wait for FIFA Switch

....is that unpopular? I think a few of us are in the same boat.

Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19

Buizel

The talk of retro gaming has reminded me of another unpopular opinion of mine:

Ocarina of Time isn't the best (3D) Zelda, and it hasn't been for a while.

I'd argue that Wind Waker had already bettered OoT, and personally I also prefer Twilight Princess, Skyward Sword and Breath of the Wild to OoT.

I can understand it being someone's favourite (for being a childhood favourite, for being their first 3D Zelda, for the general structure, characters, etc.), but I disagree that it should be an objective standard for what a 3D Zelda game should be.

Edited on by Buizel

At least 2'8".

Eric258

@Buizel I definitely don't think that Ocarina of Time is the best 3D Zelda. I'm recently playing it and I'm about halfway through. And sadly I'm already thinking about dropping it and playing some other Zelda games. I'm just disappointed cause I absolutely loved MM and TP, and I'm loving BOTW and I was excited to be hooked into another Zelda game, especially when a game is constantly hailed as the best game of all time. I do think it holds up well and it's still a very good game, but I think the other Zelda games do it better and that they should be the standard for Zelda games.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-2601-9990-4610
Super Mario Run Friend Code: 1391-4403-4742
Fire Emblem Heroes Friend Code: 1332698932
Twitter: @Eric258kip

kkslider5552000

Buizel wrote:

I disagree that it should be an objective standard for what a 3D Zelda game should be.

But it is the objective standard for what a 3D Zelda game should be...before they add new, interesting, better things to it.

To me that's really the main point about why OOT isn't the best. Because all the other 3D Zeldas (barring maybe BOTW, which I haven't gotten to yet), are like OOT, except with things that make them better/more original than OOT. Especially Twilight Princess, which was intentionally an attempt to make another OOT, and because you could have a notably smoother 3d experience on GCN/Wii, they made a better game.

Edited on by kkslider5552000

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Luna_110

I dislike the current trend for online multiplayer, and that the games SP is being downgraded or ignored in favor of online MP only games, like Destiny or that kind of games.

I know they're all the rage now, but I've always been more in favour of the SP experiences. The online MP aren't bad, just.... unappealing to me.

I have a chronic lack of time, for everything.

Now playing: Okami HD, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8536-9884-6679 | 3DS Friend Code: 0877-2091-1186 | Nintendo Network ID: Luna_cs

Octane

@Pigeon Uhh.. This thread is called the Unpopular Gaming Opinions thread. It's a fact that Sunshine is the best 3D Mario game.

Octane

BraveSonic

Here's mine for the day: I feel like Pokemon Sun and Moon are somewhat bland. The totally emotionless main character drives that home for me. It's an improvement over X/Y tho. That game was actually a bore.

I like Smash Wii U over Melee. FIGHT ME.
I'm addicted to amiibo. Full collection of the Smash series....help me....please...
Also, I like to go fast, really fast.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5714-9219-9497
Nintendo Network ID: ChandlerHolman01

3DS Friend Code: 0103-9570-7604 | Nintendo Network ID: ChandlerHolman01

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic