Forums

Topic: Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Posts 4,521 to 4,540 of 12,088

DefHalan

Freeon-Leon wrote:

OoT has (more than) amazing level/overworld/dungeon design. Whoever thinks it's a bad game it's crazy. And probably just wants to look cool.

It is a fun game, just not one of the best Zelda games. Probably below average, out of all 3D Zelda games. But that is still pretty good xompared to all games lol.

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

Freeon-Leon

@DefHalan: I like WW and TP more, but Ocarina might have better level/dungeon design IMO. Combat isn't the best of the series for obvious reasons.

Check out my super awesome Super Mario Maker levels.

3DS Friend Code: 4596-9585-5314 | Nintendo Network ID: JahirBGoode

DefHalan

@Freeon-Leon: Wind Waker is one of my favorites and TP is one of my least liked. I haven't played the HD versions but I didn't play OoT until after Wind Waker and TP. OoT was alright, brilliant for being on the N64 but that doesn't make it more enjoyable in my opinion.

Games need to stand the test of time to be considered some of the best and OoT doesn't in my opinion. I think Wind Waker stands the test of time better.

gcunit

@Freeon-Leon & @DefHalan

I've finished WWHD, but am only part-way through OoT3D. Don't ask me why, 'cos I'm not sure I know, but I enjoy OoT more than WWHD. I think maybe part of it is the islands in WWHD feel very detached from one another, and so as a result the whole overworld feels disjointed. OoT - everything feels a bit more integrated and, pardon the hilarious pun, 'Link-ed'.

Plus, a lot of WWHD felt superfluous. I've only played through it once, but it felt like there's a whole lot there, in terms of NPCs, that don't really bring much to the story. E.g. I don't really know what all that trading of objects is about, but it felt like it was fairly significant in terms of the way the bases were positioned, and yet I ignored it all and it didn't seem to effect the outcome at all.

Another e.g. - there's that flying competition thing in WWHD. I spent ages trying to beat it, experimenting with different methods, until I resorted to a walkthrough and found (a) I didn't have something I needed to actually complete the distance, and that (b) the whole thing was just a 'bonus game' anyway. Some people may appreciate these little sidetracking pursuits in WWHD, but I certainly didn't, and if it's not necessary to completing the campaign, at least the game should let me know that before I sink time into trying to get to grips with it.

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

Peek-a-boo

On the subject of The Legend of Zelda series, the only 2D one I thoroughly enjoyed was Link's Awakening DX on the Game Boy Colour. The ending is still the most memorable (out of all Zelda games) to date too.

Out of the 3D ones, it is The Wind Waker purely because I felt like going on an adventure as opposed to stumbling around an interlinked region. Leaving the island (and waving goodbye to Grandma) for the first time was a magical moment!

Peek-a-boo

veeflames

Might as well say my popular opinion about Zelda. Zelda II sucks. That's saying something, especially when I gave the game many chances. I couldn't get into it at all. I didn't think I was playing Zelda, but a horrible mess.
I've enjoyed all the other Zelda games I've played. Wind Waker and Ocarina of Time are personal favorites, too. I've only played Phantom Hourglass out of the DS Zelda games, and that game is just brilliant (the only thing I hated was the stupid Temple of the Ocean King). Skyward Sword is just underrated as hell. And finally, Twilight Princess is very good. That isn't unpopular, but eh.

God first.
My Switch FC: SW824410196326

3DS Friend Code: 1134-8006-9637 | Nintendo Network ID: VolcanoFlames

veeflames

Freeon-Leon wrote:

@CreamyDream: OoT has (more than) amazing level/overworld/dungeon design. Whoever thinks it's a bad game it's crazy. And probably just wants to look cool.

This. Just this. Somebody should give you a medal.
And another unpopular opinion... I don't like the fact that Zelda is more and more becoming a yearly installment series. I don't want Zelda (which, I will say now, is very subjective) to suffer the same fate as Call of Duty or FIFA. I think part of what makes the Zelda series so magical is that we usually wait some years before playing the next Zelda masterpiece. Now it's like waiting time is usually months. Look at TPHD. That was released in March. Now the next Zelda is seemingly less than 6 or 7 months away (my prediction). Whatever the next system is, I hope Nintendo makes good use of its IP to effectively spread out releases of franchises, not just Zelda.

God first.

Freeon-Leon

@gcunit: While I still believe OoT is a better game overall, I loved every bit of WW to death. I come from a place near the sea and trust me, sailing on the back of the King of Red Lions was as majestic as a game can get. The majestry of the ocean was captured amazingly in the soundtrack too.

Check out my super awesome Super Mario Maker levels.

3DS Friend Code: 4596-9585-5314 | Nintendo Network ID: JahirBGoode

Rumorlife

Wth, people LOVE saying OoT is over rated now. When people get the opportunity to say just how over rated they think it is, they seem to love to go off on a story about it.

Rumorlife

DefHalan

Dankykong wrote:

Wth, people LOVE saying OoT is over rated now. When people get the opportunity to say just how over rated they think it is, they seem to love to go off on a story about it.

I totally agree, but that change my opinion on it lol

jump

Of course things can both suck and be popular like the Bing Bang Theory, the Transformers films, 50 Shades Of Grey, Destiny etc.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

LzWinky

I don't really count remakes as new entries though, especially if you are going to compare the series to others like Call of Duty or Assassin's Creed.

Also, I don't really think Ocarina is overrated. When I think about what it accomplished for the series, I don't dismiss it right away just because. Besides, I still think it's a fantastic game.

Edited on by LzWinky

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

Akane

I don't think Ocarina of Time is overrated either. I love it. I just like other games in the series more like Majora's Mask, A Link to the Past, Link's Awakening, Wind Waker, or Twilight Princess.

When it comes to Ocarina of Time my unpopular gaming opinion is that I have no qualms about the Water Temple of the original game. I didn't find it frustrating at all. I see people moan about it all the time and praise the fact that it was changed for the 3DS remake, yet I never thought the original was unfair or badly designed.

Vendetta-Strada - A mafia game forum
Currently playing: Hyrule Warriors Legends, Pokémon Shuffle

Nintendo Network ID: NonEgo

Akane

@DarthNocturnal: I don't know what they changed in the Water Temple since I've never played the 3DS remake. However, I do remember reading several times how good it is that they made changes to it. IIRC Nintendo has even said themselves that they have changed it (I could be wrong about this of course).

ProfAllister

Seconded on not minding the original Water Temple. And I could swear that there was a substantial change. What bothers me more is the addition of clothing to Ruto. Same problem I had with Majora's mask, actually - you give a Goron a tiny loincloth, and it feels more obscene than when they went au naturel.

Also don't think I'll ever forgive Majora's Mask for their bastardized "Ballad of the Wind Fish"

To give some context for my OoT = overrated comment: I grew up with Zelda - still remember seeing a huge display full of gold cartridges at a store.
My uncle had Zelda 2, and it was so fascinating because it was so new and different - magic, RPG elements, intense combat (anyone who believes the ironknuckle fights were not genius is dead to me), exploration, the town sequences. And the final temple is simply epic on so many levels. And of course, the music.
Another uncle had a Super Nintnedo, and Link to the Past. That game is pretty close to sheer perfection (now someone calling LttP overrated, THAT is an unpopular opinion).
Then came our Game Boy, and Link's Awakening. Actually saw it first on one of the Toys R Us displays. Obviously, it can't compare to LttP on a pure technical level, but it had a charming cast, beautiful music, clever creative dungeons, and, above all, heart. It may not be objectively the best, but it's my favorite.
Enter Ocarina of Time. Or, rather, the years of hype prior to release. I ate it all up, and, finally, the Savior arrived. And I played it. And I enjoyed it immensely. But I still like LttP and Link's Awakening more.
I can continue, but the later experiences aren't really relevant here.
OoT is a brilliant game, and it deserves nearly all the praise it gets. But I die a little every time people claim it's the best Zelda game. Because it isn't.

ProfAllister

Akane

I know some people still fight over which Zelda game is the best one and they keep either saying Ocarina of Time or Majora's Mask.

GrizzlyArctos

While Ocarina of Time isn't my favourite Zelda, (that's Majora's Mask for me) it's probably my go to game if I ever want a quick Zelda fix. I think that's mostly due to the pacing. It's pretty quick to get to the first dungeon and there isn't too much between eachh dungeon, so it's easy and quick to play through if you know what to do.

Nostalgia probably plays a large part in that too, I guess, though I'd played a lot of a Link to the Past as a kid, and I'm not overly fond of it compared to other Zelda games. I can't really explain why.

Yes, I like bears.

veeflames

Yeah, I didn't want to count remakes but it just seems we're getting Zelda games yearly, remake or no remake. There IS a danger of over saturating the IP. Thankfully, it's not as bad as FIFA which is basically the same game year with "improvements" here and there.
Oh, and Majora's Mask I never seemed to fully get into. After watching my brother play it though, I understand why it's a fan favorite.
In all honesty, I think MM is a tad overrated. Brilliant game, but slightly overrated.

God first.

Whydoievenbother

I think part of the reason that people now say that OoT is overrated is because whenever a game gets incredibly popular (at least on the internet), it's only a matter of time before people who didn't like it to start forcing their opinion on others.
Examples of games that succumbed to this:
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Final Fantasy VII
Super Mario 64
Super Smash Bros. Brawl
(At least, we're starting to see it with this game) UnderTale

"I'll take a potato chip... AND EAT IT!"
Light Yagami, Death Note
"Ah, the Breakfast Club soundtrack! I can't wait 'til I'm old enough to feel ways about stuff!"
Phillip J. Fry, Futurama

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic