Forums

Topic: Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Posts 4,501 to 4,520 of 12,088

LzWinky

Both. I hardly noticed a difference between those two versions, but as I said earlier, the HD version improved a lot. Funny how that is since many claimed it changed little

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

Rumorlife

I played the Wii version like 4-6 months before they announced the WiiU version, it definitely appears to have changed a decent amount. If anything didn't change much it's Wind Waker HD.

Rumorlife

LzWinky

What? They fixed a lot of things in WW HD. Some animations were cut short, the triforce quest was more streamlined, and the fast sail was created.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

VelvetElvis

TingLz wrote:

That's a lotta brown and green and not much else. The character models were awful too.

See, this is where I disagree — and where my unpopular opinion comes into play. Twilight Princess has had a very longstanding "brown and green" reputation, but for me, the HD remake has helped it shed that. Sure, it has a consistently earthy color palate, but I've been really struck by the game's art direction this time around. The lighting and time of day changes are incredibly dramatic, what with the gauzy dawns, rainbow-banded mornings and super-saturated twilight. Among the earthier overworld, you often step into these incredibly colorful environs, like the Ooccoo shop or some of castle town's more opulent interiors. And it's still somehow consistent, often held together by recurring visual hooks (like a tendency to texture many of the surfaces with detailed etchings or tattoo-like designs, or the skewed, tendril-like geometry).

As for the characters, sure the models may not be the most geometrically complex, but I love the designs. They take a lot of flak for being "ugly," and in a way they are — I think that hits on a key misunderstanding of TP's art direction: It's very surrealist. Though Majora's Mask is certainly the most thematically surreal Zelda game, TP has the most surreal visual cues. You see that a lot in the characters — they're exaggerated, bizarre and at times, kind of grotesque.

Funny enough, this game brought me back to the Wii era when I was constantly wishing that Nintendo had made the console capable of outputting 720p images, at least. So many of those games had wonderful art direction muddied by terrible image quality (like Skyward Sword, as you mention).

Anyway, unpopular opinions.

Edited on by VelvetElvis

VelvetElvis

Rumorlife

TingLz wrote:

What? They fixed a lot of things in WW HD. Some animations were cut short, the triforce quest was more streamlined, and the fast sail was created.

Visually it looked very similar is what I meant and those things are so minor I barely noticed them. The difference between say WW GCN and WWHD are minimal in comparison to the N64 remakes and their originals visually. TP is kind of the odd one imo, even though the HD is probably the best one visually it still is a bit similar to even the GCN one.

Rumorlife

Akane

When it comes to Zelda, my unpopular opinion is that I like Twilight Princess more than I like Ocarina of Time.

It has to do with the fact that I never had an N64 as a kid since at the time I was into PlayStation and especially Crash Bandicoot. The next non-handheld Nintendo console I got after SNES was the Wii and with it came Twilight Princess. Since I had not experienced the earlier consoles, my very first 3D Zelda game was TP. It made a huge impression on me. When I later on got myself the WindWaker special edition and with it the OoT GameCube port, I had already played both TP and WW and - while I thought it was really good - Ocarina did not leave me with as huge an impression as it would have had I played it when it first came out.

And it's not just because of graphics. I have nothing against the way Ocarina of Time looks like. In fact, my very favourite 3D Zelda to this day is Majora's Mask which I got to play right after beating OoT.

Nostalgia definitely has a way to paint certain games better than future entries to the series even if they were inferior. I still regard A Link to the Past the best 2D Zelda game out there because that's the one I played first. Likewise, Link's Awakening is really important for me because I played it as a kid. Yet nowadays I would like to view Minish Cap as the best 2D Zelda game but I can't because to me, it will never top the experience of playing A Link to the Past as a kid on an emulator (I didn't have many SNES games when growing up), and then later on when it came out for the GBA.

Vendetta-Strada - A mafia game forum
Currently playing: Hyrule Warriors Legends, Pokémon Shuffle

Nintendo Network ID: NonEgo

Akane

@CreamyDream: I remember when Twilight Princess first came out and this one magazine gave it 9/10 and it was considered such an outrage because the fans thought it deserved 10/10. Now people just regard it as "alright". Lol.

I don't personally hate Skyward Sword but I feel they could have done a better job with it. I love the art style and I love the story. I don't mind Fi but my main qualm is with the controls. They aren't precise enough. I actually stopped playing the game when I got to the first dungeon because I couldn't get past an obstacle because the controller just wouldn't react right to my movements. It took me months before I picked up the game again and finished it off. That's why I don't like the game as much as I do the other games in the series but I still don't think it's a bad game by any means. I loved it in the end.

Akane

@CreamyDream: The only problem with having to fight the same boss three times for me was the fact that it was the Imprisoned. Taking out the toes always meant I was going to take a lot of damage due to the ground pounding. Make me fight any other boss multiple times and I would do it without moaning.

That actually brings to my mind another unpopular opinion regarding the Zelda series. I really like Phantom Hourglass. I'm one of the few people who did not mind the fact that you have to go through the same dungeon multiple times in the course of the game. Afterall, you don't have to go through the same levels or puzzles every single time you advance further in the dungeon. In my opinion that idea was fine.

LzWinky

It was fine at first until the umpteenth time

The Tower of Spirits was a far superior dungeon compared to the Ocean King's Temple

Edited on by LzWinky

Rumorlife

Ocean King's Temple was just boring and I hated the time limit even if it's pretty much unlimited tries.

I liked Spirit Tracks much better, I hope someday they do a game that's even more in the future from ST, to show what it'll be like, but what more can we do? Legend of Zelda, Highway in the Sky. It's based on Airplanes because the Spirit Tracks have been destroyed again.

Rumorlife

Rumorlife

Meh, I don't regret having played every single Zelda game. None of them would I have skipped, except I DO NOT MISS those mostly irritating stylus DS controls. Thank god they trashed that for the 3DS. But the DS entries and the GBA entries are, imo, the ones that seem the least important in terms of adding to the story in the entire LoZ timelines. There were reoccurring family lines but the DS entries, but they were in many ways, the same game twice just with different forms of transportation. Especially when I got to the ice themed village in ST, it felt like Deja Vu from PH.
I've grown to admire the original LoZ game, it reminds me of a GB game which with that mentality is how I think I got through the game. But by no means is it one of my favorites.

Rumorlife

LzWinky

Triforce Heroes is severely underrated and has one of the best soundtracks of all time. Also the villain is hilarious

Rumorlife

I liked Minish Cap, but I hadn't played it until WiiU VC, and I didn't feel like I had missed anything by not playing it. But don't get me wrong, it was super cute and charming and did what you want a Zelda game to do.

Oh right Trifoce Heroes, I forgot that was a thing

Rumorlife

LaserdiscGal

Dankykong wrote:

I liked Minish Cap, but I hadn't played it until WiiU VC, and I didn't feel like I had missed anything by not playing it. But don't get me wrong, it was super cute and charming and did what you want a Zelda game to do.

Oh right Trifoce Heroes, I forgot that was a thing

So did everyone else

LaserdiscGal

3DS Friend Code: 0688-5519-2711 | My Nintendo: pokefraker | Nintendo Network ID: pokefraker

LzWinky

You all lack the fabulousness to understand Triforce Heroes

Luna_110

I never could get into the DS Zeldas. I forced myself to finish Phantom Hourglass, and never finished Spirit Tracks.
Minish Cap was awesome though. Back then when Capcom still did good games....

I have a chronic lack of time, for everything.

Now playing: Okami HD, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8536-9884-6679 | 3DS Friend Code: 0877-2091-1186 | Nintendo Network ID: Luna_cs

ProfAllister

Since we're on the subject of Zelda, my unpopular opinions:

Zelda II was a great game.
Ocarina of Time is severely overrated. It's competent, and pretty, and a monumental achievement in many regards. Not a bad game by any stretch. But Link to the Past and Link's Awakening beat it hands down no contest. We're talking Mike Tyson/Mr. Dream vs Glass Joe no contest.

Enjoyed all the others I've played, but put me on the list for considering the DS games a low point. They had some amazing set pieces, and cool items, but most of the in-between was pretty ho hum and meh. Also, way too many instances of items being useful for one contrived dungeon, two treasures on the world map, and one contrived room in the final dungeon.

ProfAllister

Akane

TingLz wrote:

The Tower of Spirits was a far superior dungeon compared to the Ocean King's Temple

I agree with you on this one.

TingLz wrote:

Triforce Heroes is severely underrated and has one of the best soundtracks of all time. Also the villain is hilarious

I'd like it more if Nintendo had added in a working online code. Now it's a horrible mess.

@ProfAllister: I also think that Zelda II is a great game.

Freeon-Leon

Yup, it's extremely unpopular, but I also found Zelda II to be a great game. It's hard, yes, but that doesn't diminish its fun!

Check out my super awesome Super Mario Maker levels.

3DS Friend Code: 4596-9585-5314 | Nintendo Network ID: JahirBGoode

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic