Forums

Topic: Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Posts 4,461 to 4,480 of 12,088

DefHalan

@CreamyDream: @Freeon-Leon: ... My Wife and I actually enjoy Amiibo Festival...

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

LaserdiscGal

Amiibo Festival is the best Mario Party game for the WiiU.

LaserdiscGal

3DS Friend Code: 0688-5519-2711 | My Nintendo: pokefraker | Nintendo Network ID: pokefraker

DefHalan

@Waluigi: ... but but but we also enjoy Mario Party 10 for completely different reasons...

LaserdiscGal

DefHalan wrote:

@Waluigi: ... but but but we also enjoy Mario Party 10 for completely different reasons...

I never said it was bad, but Amiibo Festival is better.

LaserdiscGal

3DS Friend Code: 0688-5519-2711 | My Nintendo: pokefraker | Nintendo Network ID: pokefraker

Freeon-Leon

@DefHalan: I'm not saying it's not enjoyable, but I'm sure it's harder for most people to get into Amiibo Festival, unless you're looking for that exact experience this game provides.

@Waluigi: What about Nintendo Land?

Ok, this is an unpopular opinion outside of Nintendo's fanbase:

People are so lazy when it comes to new control schemes. Most gamers I know think the current controllers with the layout of the last generation is thee best way to play games, but there's still room for improvement! I hate it when someone diss a game just because of its controls. Splatoon made realize how awesome motion controls can be in a shooter, but many people won't realize this because they see it as a "gimmick" that's just there because.

I can't wait to try Star Fox Zero, I don't know if I'll love it or hate it, but I'm eager to try its new controls.

Check out my super awesome Super Mario Maker levels.

3DS Friend Code: 4596-9585-5314 | Nintendo Network ID: JahirBGoode

LaserdiscGal

@Freeon-Leon Nintendoland is just a minigame collection, there's no real Mario Party type board to play on.

Edited on by LaserdiscGal

LaserdiscGal

Rumorlife

Nintendoland is still fun, but it's hardly worth some price tags of $40USD+, 20 maybe now....
All the games are fun, I think me and my friends laughed at it more than most other games I played with them. It's a required WiiU title. If you don't have it, by law, you're required to go out and get it today. I wouldn't mind at all having a Nintendoland 2 for the NX, or even 3DS. It just needs to have more games next time. I think this game gets a pass because it was a launch game, which often have the chance of being slow or short titles.

Ew Amiibo Festival, even if I had the Amiibo for it I don't think there's anything appealing about that game. I've never seen a more literal board game on console before. Spaces where essentially nothing happens? Even things like Pacman Fever or Party, Wii Party (U), and Itadaki Street didn't have a nothing space. It's hard to even imagine which group of children they aimed Amiibo Festival at, if indeed they aimed it at children specifically. I guess because I grew up with Mario Party, starting with the original, it seems weird any kid would be like yay!!! about this thing. I can't even think of another game so blahsome that can compare to AF.

Edited on by Rumorlife

Rumorlife

Shinion

I'll also give a recommendation to Nintendo Land. Most of the events are brilliant and a few people could have lots of fun alternating the Gamepad user as well as the different events. My favourites are the Animal Crossing, Mario Chase and Luigi's Mansion ones. It's lacking for people who won't get to play the versus modes often, though the F-Zero, Metroid and Yoshi ones were still good to play for me on my own.

I would('ve) love(d) a sequel.

Shinion

Rumorlife

I miss Wiggler being in Mario Kart. I used him (or her?) exclusively. Lol I just randomly remembered getting hit by things and how it gets angry and red, then does the train noise for a few seconds afterwards. I don't think anyone else had a unique animation like that ever before in Mario Kart. Bring that back!!!

Rumorlife

DefHalan

I really liked the Donkey Kong Obstacle Course in NintendoLand. Took me so long to beat the first level and was so shocked to see a level 2 lol

LzWinky

I had a lot of fun with the Ghost Hunt game. I played with a bunch of friends, some of which would scream if they were caught. I think I went deaf at one point

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

Whydoievenbother

Freeon-Leon wrote:

People are so lazy when it comes to new control schemes. Most gamers I know think the current controllers with the layout of the last generation is thee best way to play games, but there's still room for improvement! I hate it when someone diss a game just because of its controls. Splatoon made realize how awesome motion controls can be in a shooter, but many people won't realize this because they see it as a "gimmick" that's just there because.

I can't wait to try Star Fox Zero, I don't know if I'll love it or hate it, but I'm eager to try its new controls.

Personally, I think the reason that both designers and gamers alike are diametrically opposed to any sort of variety in their control schemes is because players have to re-learn how to play games of that type.
For the Designer: Ughhh! We have to tutorial-ize our game more.
For the Player: Ughhh! I have to be hand-held more.

"I'll take a potato chip... AND EAT IT!"
Light Yagami, Death Note
"Ah, the Breakfast Club soundtrack! I can't wait 'til I'm old enough to feel ways about stuff!"
Phillip J. Fry, Futurama

DefHalan

MrMario02 wrote:

Freeon-Leon wrote:

Personally, I think the reason that both designers and gamers alike are diametrically opposed to any sort of variety in their control schemes is because players have to re-learn how to play games of that type.
For the Designer: Ughhh! We have to tutorial-ize our game more.
For the Player: Ughhh! I have to be hand-held more.

That is really only a problem if the Designer sucks at making tutorials lol. It takes a lot of skill but if you are working on a AAA title then you should have the skill to make better tutorials than most AAA games currently have.

EDIT: Sadly, I think too many Designers leave the tutorial design to their underlings. The Tutorial is the first interaction your player has with the game, the Lead Designer really should be responsible for that. I think that is how Nintendo normally does it and it leads to way better Tutorials. That is just an opinion, don't really have proof or anything.

Edited on by DefHalan

Rumorlife

DefHalan wrote:

I really liked the Donkey Kong Obstacle Course in NintendoLand. Took me so long to beat the first level and was so shocked to see a level 2 lol

That game was the first thing I ever experienced on a WiiU and I was like what on Earth is this system? Not good first impression for the gamepad, I was like what the heck screen do I look at? It always seemed dumb that the same thing was happening on the TV as the gamepad.
But then that DK game became one of my favorite things besides the AC game. Once you know how to press the buttons it's so satisfying.

Edited on by Rumorlife

Rumorlife

DefHalan

CreamyDream wrote:

On the topic of control schemes,

I actually PREFER motion controls for some games like Mario Kart Wii, Metroid Prime, and Yoshi's Woolly World.

Motion controls only become a problem when they're used for inputs that would just be more efficient with the press of a button. Donkey Kong Country Return's ground slam and Super Mario Galaxy's spin attack are prime examples of this. These moves would simply be more efficient if just mapped to an actual button.

The 3DS port of DKC Returns addresses this too.

Overall, though, I do love traditional videogame controllers, and I don't think the mainstream should ever stray too far away from it.

I completely agree, but I would be totally find if Nintendo continued to have Motion Controls as an option for their systems. It would be cool if this next console had new motion controls but was compatible with the GamePad (and GamePads could be sold separately) and future consoles just switch between these two types of controllers being the primary and secondary controllers for the systems.

DefHalan

CreamyDream wrote:

At this point, I'd honestly prefer if the main control scheme of the NX is just a straight-forward videogame controller with no funny business.

Optional motion controllers would be cool though. The more ways to play, the better.

... Unless those motion controllers are new and you have to purchase them separately. If the NX uses motion controls, it better be compatible with all these Wii motes I have lying around, because I am NOT buying 4 new controllers.

Yeah, that is why I had the idea of switch the primary controller each generation. The Secondary Controller would just be the primary controller from last gen. Don't need to re-buy stuff as often

Edited on by DefHalan

Freeon-Leon

The Super Mario Galaxy spin felt natural and it was responsive. I think it was a nice design idea. Metroid Prime Trilogy might be better though

Check out my super awesome Super Mario Maker levels.

3DS Friend Code: 4596-9585-5314 | Nintendo Network ID: JahirBGoode

AlliMeadow

I don't think Pokémon Sun and Moon should be more difficult than X and Y. I enjoy doing nuzlocke challenges from time to time, and when I do them I always play without being able to switch Pokémon, and I can't remember a game being harder to nuzlocke than X and Y. I think the games are pretty much perfect when it comes down to difficulty, because it is so easy to make it more challenging, but if they were more challenging they would be hard on the youngest, who are the future of the franchise. We must not forget that while we who have followed the franchise since the beginning knows the type-chart by heart and what types all Pokémon have, beginners don't have that knowledge, and the same goes for most everything in the game.

Edited on by AlliMeadow

AlliMeadow

Nintendo Network ID: Alli-V-Meadow

Shinion

@AlliMeadow: If they're not going to put difficulty modes in, then I'd say there are still many ways that they could make the main game more challenging than what we had in X/Y. I mean, 3 max Pokemon for Gym Leaders up to even the 8th one? I know that they tended to have strong trios (Avalugg was a nightmare for me playing blind when it first came out) but there's no reason not to have a bit more of a difficulty curve than what we've had in recent Pokemon games. It shouldn't have to be 'nuzlock/monotype or bust' if one wants to be challenged by Pokemon, even veterans like me who've played every gen. They can do better than X/Y IMO.

Shinion

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic