Forums

Topic: Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Posts 4,361 to 4,380 of 12,088

LadyCharlie

gcunit wrote:

The new control scheme will get panned by the majority after 10 minutes of gameplay, but of those who actually take the time to learn the controls properly, I suspect the majority will say the gameplay experience is all the better for it.

Here's my unpopular opinion.
If you have to spend a larger-than-normal amount of time to get used to and/or "learn" a control scheme, is that really indicative of quality?
My opinion? No.

I really think that an air of "well you need to dedicate extra time to it if you want to have fun" is counter-intuitive to gaming. It's a game. I should be having fun from the get-go. And if I have to be put into a position where I can't enjoy the game from the jump, due to a control scheme that I'm not comfortable with, I'm not gonna have fun.

I don't want to feel like I have to "master" a game in order to enjoy it.

LadyCharlie

Switch Friend Code: SW-1787-3887-5088 | 3DS Friend Code: 3883-6315-2933

DefHalan

CharlieSmile wrote:

gcunit wrote:

The new control scheme will get panned by the majority after 10 minutes of gameplay, but of those who actually take the time to learn the controls properly, I suspect the majority will say the gameplay experience is all the better for it.

Here's my unpopular opinion.
If you have to spend a larger-than-normal amount of time to get used to and/or "learn" a control scheme, is that really indicative of quality?
My opinion? No.

I really think that an air of "well you need to dedicate extra time to it if you want to have fun" is counter-intuitive to gaming. It's a game. I should be having fun from the get-go. And if I have to be put into a position where I can't enjoy the game from the jump, due to a control scheme that I'm not comfortable with, I'm not gonna have fun.

I don't want to feel like I have to "master" a game in order to enjoy it.

Never play any game with high difficulty. Contra and Dark Souls would probably not be fun for you, since you kinda have to master the game to have fun.

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

LadyCharlie

@DefHalan: ARGH CONTRA. I got Contra 4 for a birthday present in 2008, and I promptly sold it. Haha I'm terrible.
I still like the NES original though, oddly enough.

Edited on by LadyCharlie

LadyCharlie

DefHalan

@CharlieSmile: Contra 4 was awesome, except they make you play it on medium or higher to get to the ending lol

shaneoh

CreamyDream wrote:

God forbid a game has a learning curve, amirite?

Untitled

Dwarf Fortress is so much fun. So worth the effort put into learning it (although it doesn't need as much effort as that graph suggests).

Edited on by shaneoh

The Greatest love story ever, Rosie Love (part 33 done)
The collective noun for a group of lunatics is a forum. A forum of lunatics.
I'm belligerent, you were warned.

LadyCharlie

@CreamyDream:
just MY opinion. you may disagree all you like.

LadyCharlie

Socar

I still stand my unpopular opinion that I despise youtubers because they claim to know better than the actual professionals out there.

This time, I got proof. That Dragon, Cancer couldn't sell well because of youtubers posting gameplay footage of the game with little to no courtesy from the actual developers.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/that-dragon-cancer-dev-says-...

So the fact that Ryan lost his own son and yet he still developed the game doesn't really change the heart of these youtubers now does it.

These youtubers ought to be slapped on the wrist because not only do they have cold hearts but also, they know nothing about professionalism.

I'd rather not have this be too emotional Socar. Let's keep the comments friendly even about other people you don't like -Lz

Edited on by LzWinky

After so long...I'm back. Don't ask why

Nintendo Network ID: ArtwarkSwark | Twitter:

LzWinky

@Socar: There are despicable people everywhere in just about every group. That doesn't mean everyone is just like them.

With that said, there are some cases where Let's Plays have helped some developers.

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

GrizzlyArctos

@Socar: As much as I agree that Let's Plays of certain games can potentially harm sales for the game, the opposite can be said for other games that has lead people to buy the game to play it themselves after watching it.

And I'm pretty sure that the blame of That Dragon: Cancer's lack of sales can't solely be placed on Let's Plays. It's a pretty heavy subject to tackle, and it's not something that many people would look for when deciding what games to play. The fact that Steam is pretty saturated with similar 'Walking Sim' style games could have also added to reduced sales.

I understand the frustration that they must be going through, because this is a project that is deeply personal to them, and I admire the fact that they wanted to create a game to share their experience with others, but Let's Plays aren't the sole reason that the game didn't sell well.

Jim Sterling says it better than I could.

Yes, I like bears.

Socar

@TingLz: @GrizzlyArctos:

The only game that I know that made the game to where it is now thanks to youtube is Minecraft. Other than that, everyother game can easily be known if marketing is done right. Having a youtube review is damn expensive than having a blog review.

And Jim Sterling didn't point out Adventure games like Monkey Island, a game that can easily be spoiled by let's plays.

It also comes down to stories of the games that youtubers often spoil. What's that? You're curious of how the story of FE Fates is? Don't have the desire to buy either one and find out? Np. Just watch videos and spoil the whole story for yourself. While you're at it, its a great chance that it won't make you excited about the game since you have spoiled the game maps as well right?

Its clear that Youtubers are a big threat. They care about themselves first and foremost and will do whatever they can to get people like them kinda like Pewdiepie and many other "innocent" youtubers out there. They should do let's play as a hobby and not as a profession because its not professional simply ranting about the game while playing it.

DefHalan

I think Let's Players sjould at least try to contact companies for permission to use their games. Indie companies are surprisingly easy to contact about this kind of stuff. I once worked on a website with less than 10 hits a week and had set up an interview with Jools Watsham, but my "Boss" didn't like me contacting developers without his permission. I understand you may not hear bavk from some companies but at least trying will solve a lot of problems.

Socar

DefHalan wrote:

I think Let's Players sjould at least try to contact companies for permission to use their games. Indie companies are surprisingly easy to contact about this kind of stuff. I once worked on a website with less than 10 hits a week and had set up an interview with Jools Watsham, but my "Boss" didn't like me contacting developers without his permission. I understand you may not hear bavk from some companies but at least trying will solve a lot of problems.

Yeah....That can actually make sense and it can work! Why can't these youtubers atleast have the decency to just ask for permission? After all devs can't post trademark music without permission right?

Rumorlife

I'm glad I got the F-Zero 64 game from Club Nintendo for my Wii VC a while ago because it's my favorite FZ that's available.

Edited on by Rumorlife

Rumorlife

LzWinky

@Socar: To be fair, you can do that with most internet sites, not just Youtube. Besides, if people choose to spoil themselves, that's their decision.

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

Rumorlife

DefHalan wrote:

Apparently the Lets Plays are making more money than the actual game and really harming the sales.

HAHAH It kills me because so many people are convinced Let's Play helps sales. There's a massive group of people who don't buy games they're interested in now because they're playing other games, or can't afford a game, or can't find the game, so they watch a Let's Play to see it all instead and plenty of people are content with that. I am so not surprised. I'm surprised it took any news website so long to admit it or point it out in an article.

This is such a boring time in history for gaming, there are no surprises. The entire game is spoiled by either leakers or the devs because of fans like 8 months before we even get boxart half the time. Everyone's so proud of themselves too "look at me I know the entire game before it comes out", cool, you didn't play it yet, you probably won't even finish it if you do get it, so what's to brag about? That you're boring me into unconsciousness?

Edited on by Rumorlife

Rumorlife

Socar

TingLz wrote:

@Socar: To be fair, you can do that with most internet sites, not just Youtube. Besides, if people choose to spoil themselves, that's their decision.

But here's the problem. None of those other methods compared to Youtube do what youtube does which is to pay the uploader and even then, that's the least of the problem compared to what Youtube is right now. I'm actually fine with the idea of watching gameplay footage from someone's own site rather than posting it on Youtube because you won't make money out of your actual site unless they decide to which isn't possible to do.

Let's face it. Youtubers ought to quit Youtubing unless what they do is actually worth doing like playing music and making profit out of original music, not something that is of a remix.

Or doing things that won't bother developers and them too much like not using copyrighted content and instead doing something original.

@Dankykong: Yeah....those surprised moments in gaming are long gone now. I wish that Youtube would improve on its features instead of worsening them. I never have gotten the chance to tell Youtube to remove recommended videos that I might like to watch or don't want to watch at all because there's a huge spoiler by just looking at the image of the video.

Rumorlife

The Gamexplain is even more obnoxious. Hey let's tear every little tiny thing apart and say it's probably something, that way it gets everyone all stirred up thinking they've learned the entire game already. Oh, well until the game actually comes out then easily half or more of the trash they put up in their videos doesn't come true or isn't what they predicted at all. The rest is all obvious and something you would have figured out by actually playing the game.
Gamexplain is all: We here at Gamexplain have exclusively discovered, this looks like an actual ledge, that Mario....... CAN PROBABLY JUMP OVER.
Fans: OH MY GOD. OOOOOHHHH MY GOD. I WOULD NEVER HAVE SEEN THAT AND NOW I HAVE THE UPPERHAND OVER PEOPLE WHO DIDN'T WATCH THIS WOW I CANT BELIEVE YOU CAN JUMP..... OVER, THAT.
It's like if you're 2 seconds late to any game now, you're screwed. Big time. You almost need to play it at launch if you want it to be a surprise, even then I had a bunch of Fire Emblem parts spoiled on this very website anyway, when I was playing it at launch. I mean, people here and everywhere are more than allowed to talk about it, but holy crap. The assumptions and actions that a lot of people make "if I know about it you must know about it and if not I'm going to inform your slow ass about it even if it ruins your day" is too much. An actual forever 1 upping of each other. ba dum tsh

lol speaking of dumb YT recommendations, even after listening to 2 different Cho Aniki soundtracks over and over, watching videos of bad car accidents from North America and a few political craps, it's still recommending "30 hours of Shy Guy's Jungle Jam from Mario Party 4."

Edited on by Rumorlife

Rumorlife

kkslider5552000

Dankykong wrote:

The Gamexplain is even more obnoxious. Hey let's tear every little tiny thing apart and say it's probably something, that way it gets everyone all stirred up thinking they've learned the entire game already. Oh, well until the game actually comes out then easily half or more of the trash they put up in their videos doesn't come true or isn't what they predicted at all. The rest is all obvious and something you would have figured out by actually playing the game.
Gamexplain is all: We here at Gamexplain have exclusively discovered, this looks like an actual ledge, that Mario....... CAN PROBABLY JUMP OVER.
Fans: OH MY GOD. OOOOOHHHH MY GOD. I WOULD NEVER HAVE SEEN THAT AND NOW I HAVE THE UPPERHAND OVER PEOPLE WHO DIDN'T WATCH THIS WOW I CANT BELIEVE YOU CAN JUMP..... OVER, THAT.
It's like if you're 2 seconds late to any game now, you're screwed. Big time. You almost need to play it at launch if you want it to be a surprise, even then I had a bunch of Fire Emblem parts spoiled on this very website anyway, when I was playing it at launch. I mean, people here and everywhere are more than allowed to talk about it, but holy crap. The assumptions and actions that a lot of people make "if I know about it you must know about it and if not I'm going to inform your slow ass about it even if it ruins your day" is too much. An actual forever 1 upping of each other. ba dum tsh

lol speaking of dumb YT recommendations, even after listening to 2 different Cho Aniki soundtracks over and over, watching videos of bad car accidents from North America and a few political craps, it's still recommending "30 hours of Shy Guy's Jungle Jam from Mario Party 4."

tl;dr

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

gcunit

Getting spoiled is no fun, but if there's something you're really looking forward to then the internet is something you have to use very carefully. It's a bit silly complaint that a gaming website or video spoiled you against your wishes.

When Star Wars 7 was due to release I was very careful. Stayed away from the internet almost entirely in the last 24hrs or so, then went to the cinema with my N3DS and headphones to make sure nobody's conversation spoiled me. The reality is, if you want to be spoiler-free you have to take precautions.

Back when Revenge of the Sith released, I was spoiler-free other than the teaser trailer, and had purposefully avoided the full length trailer. When I took my seat at the cinema, I took my headphones off and they were playing the audio of the full length trailer through the main speakers. So now the headphones stay on until the film starts.

I'm not as fussed about games, but if I was, I wouldn't be surfing gaming sites when a big game lands.

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic