Forums

Topic: Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Posts 3,901 to 3,920 of 12,088

Zizzy

Only thing that bothers me about DLC is that it has become so accepted that a company will advertise planned DLC before the release of the initial game. Most of which is content that either should have or could have been included in the initial release.

As long as I'm getting my money's worth, though, I'm happy to pay for DLC. Just wish DLC was still looked upon as game updates rather than complete new content.

Zizzy

3DS Friend Code: 4425-1585-6021 | Nintendo Network ID: Zizzy147

tudsworth

Zizzy wrote:

Only thing that bothers me about DLC is that it has become so accepted that a company will advertise planned DLC before the release of the initial game. Most of which is content that either should have or could have been included in the initial release.

Regarding "planned" DLC - I do not mind a publisher or developer planning for DLC in the initial dev roadmap for a game. That's happened for years now and has generally been successful. What bothers me is publishers not only marketing but selling DLC that isn't even in the planning stages. Most notable with a lot of "season pass" programs, where the promise is X amount of content, but barely half of it has even been conceptually finalised. It leads to a lot of rushed, poor quality DLC due to dev teams being rushed into squeezing out the promised output in a frankly unreasonable amount of time.

Beyond that, I am more than happy to purchase the majority of paid DLC for games I enjoyed if I feel the content I get is worth the price of admission. That, however, is horribly subjective and I think it'd take too long to appropriately quantify what I consider "worth it".

tudsworth

Nintendo Network ID: Tudsworth

Socar

@Dave24: Grinding is never fun unless its done like how its done in Ys.

Yes I know that Ys is an action RPG but the random encounters aren't tedious as you can run from them and its easier to do that than it is to do in traditional RPGs. And in some cases, you are rewarded EXP without even fighting demons in Ys unlike other RPGs.

After so long...I'm back. Don't ask why

Nintendo Network ID: ArtwarkSwark | Twitter:

Whydoievenbother

Games need to be more inclusive.

"I'll take a potato chip... AND EAT IT!"
Light Yagami, Death Note
"Ah, the Breakfast Club soundtrack! I can't wait 'til I'm old enough to feel ways about stuff!"
Phillip J. Fry, Futurama

jump

MrMario02 wrote:

Games need to be more inclusive.

How so as just saying inclusive sounds like empty jargon like "blue sky thinking" and "strategic productivity" that means something but no one actually knows what.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

Socar

Gamers who blame Nintendo for making its games for a young audience shouldn't blame Nintendo for that....but should blame Nintendo of America for that.

Let's think about this for a sec. While we know that Nintendo doesn't really use extreme graphic and violent content, they sometimes do that and release the games the way it is despite it being one of their major policies. One example I can think of is Genealogy of Holy war.....that game even if you've played little has lots of mature content like genocide, etc.

Another example is the absence of Devil's world for USA mainly because of it being religious.

What does this have to do with Nintendo of America? Because they are the ones that decide what game is best to localize and market. When they see a game that doesn't cost much to do marketing and localizing, they censor it and make it as "friendly" as possible inorder to maintain Nintendo's main image.

What NoA did with Xenoblade and Fire Emblem just now further proves that NoA is partly responsible for what Nintendo could possibly get for trying to put matured content.

Now some of you will argue that this really won't change much and will still give the gamer's thought of Nintendo as them being all the "kiddy". But honestly, if Nintendo is trying to cater to the matured audience, then they have every right to expose that art to the matured audience rather than dealing with the American division's problem which is to make sure that Nintendo doesn't often go to court by some angry parent who thinks that their games are extremely violent and all other lame excuses.

Heck, I actually didn't care much of the dark stuff that Thousand Year door had and I love the hell out of that game. I didn't care how creepy Majora's Mask turned out because I respect its direction of art.

When I see Nintendo being bashed, I feel that gamers need to bash Nintendo of America alone and not the real Nintendo. Because not only the American division can't make attempts to do some great marketing like how they did in the 80's but they also ruin every little chance that gory violent content can possibly prove many gamers wrong about Nintendo as a whole.

That being said, I'm not saying that NoA should stop censoring. Infact, its too late for them to take this approach of censoring after they created a specific audience. I'm just saying to provide an option where young kids can play the game censored whereas grownups like us can play it uncensored when possible and when its something that can be accepted despite the possible chance that it could ruin Nintendo's image if Nintendo wants to take that risk of trying to make matured content.

Edited on by Socar

Whydoievenbother

@Socar I don't even see why games for a younger audience is that bad. After all
Who has the most time to play games? Children.
So who should this industry be making video games for (while still making games for everyone else)? Children.
The real problem is that NoA is releasing kids games and games for Gen-Xers, and nothing else.

Light Yagami, Death Note
"Ah, the Breakfast Club soundtrack! I can't wait 'til I'm old enough to feel ways about stuff!"
Phillip J. Fry, Futurama

Socar

MrMario02 wrote:

@Socar I don't even see why games for a younger audience is that bad. After all
Who has the most time to play games? Children.
So who should this industry be making video games for (while still making games for everyone else)? Children.
The real problem is that NoA is releasing kids games and games for Gen-Xers, and nothing else.

Not true really. Many game designers often play games inorder for them to understand games better or simply because of play games outside of the games that they made.

There's an interesting debate whether game developers should play games or not in gamaustra.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/134864/to_play_or_not_t...

Also, if you've seen Miyamoto-San's interviews, he does say that you need to play lots of games as a game designer.

To be frank, it doesn't hurt taking gaming as a personal hobby. Even if you don't have time to play games, you always have weekends to spend your time on them.....

Also, you just said what I said....only shorter..... and less sense.

Edited on by Socar

Whydoievenbother

@Socar Although game designers tend to play lots of games, they still have to make games. Meanwhile kids have after school, all summer, all of spring break, all of winter break, and all of every Saturday and Sunday. This is not meant to say that only kids should play games. I just want everybody, including kids, to be included (there are enough games to go around). Also, sorry for the last bit. P.S. Interesting discussion about whether game designers should play games.

@aaronshire I apologize for the vagueness. I meant in the sense of more games allowing the "casual gamers" (I hate the term "Casual gamer". it sounds so exclusionary and rude) to become hardcore gamers. In gaming, there's nothing in between the basic casual games from the super elitist hardcore stuff. There needs to be a middle-ground, or else gaming isn't going to expand.

Edited on by Whydoievenbother

Light Yagami, Death Note
Phillip J. Fry, Futurama

Whydoievenbother

@DarthNocturnal When you say "games with low entry bars but high skill ceilings" are you referring to games like Kirby, which are easy to beat, but reward players who think more in-depth about the game's systems? If so, yes, but wee need way more games like them. We also need versions of more complex games (RPGs, Strategy Games, Fighting games, etc.) that are simplified enough to be accessible to newer gamers, but also complicated enough that gen mobile can learn about concepts like combo cancelling, RPG builds, and complex soldier management in Strategy.

Light Yagami, Death Note
Phillip J. Fry, Futurama

shaneoh

DarthNocturnal wrote:

MrMario02 wrote:

There needs to be a middle-ground, or else gaming isn't going to expand.

There is no middle ground. There is only your allies, and those who must be DESTR-.......um, those who disagree with you.

Don't you mean there are those who you must destroy now, and those who you will destroy later?

The Greatest love story ever, Rosie Love (part 33 done)
The collective noun for a group of lunatics is a forum. A forum of lunatics.
I'm belligerent, you were warned.

Dave24

MrMario02 wrote:

@DarthNocturnal When you say "games with low entry bars but high skill ceilings" are you referring to games like Kirby, which are easy to beat, but reward players who think more in-depth about the game's systems? If so, yes, but wee need way more games like them. We also need versions of more complex games (RPGs, Strategy Games, Fighting games, etc.) that are simplified enough to be accessible to newer gamers, but also complicated enough that gen mobile can learn about concepts like combo cancelling, RPG builds, and complex soldier management in Strategy.

Well, then go back to Megablocks, time better spent for you I guess. Thanks to your thinking Civilization got pretty much butchered. Same for Fallout. And many more. For the last few years that's a trend actually.
I mean, by saying there are not enough of them you either don't play that much or just suck pretty bad.

Dave24

Whydoievenbother

@Dave24 I don't mean make the more complicated games less complicated. I mean have franchises that are meant for people who want to get into these kinds of games. Games like Fallout and Civilization shouldn't be dumbed-down, but can the industry at least have an alternative for people who aren't as good at these types of games? Also, I'm saying that they need to be created for others, not for me. I'm good at video games.

Light Yagami, Death Note
Phillip J. Fry, Futurama

Freeon-Leon

@MrMario02: Nintendo does that pretty often. I don't think my 6 year old nephew would have gotten into RTS games, but he loved Pikmin.

But yeah, other companies should try that instead of just making games for the "hardcore" audience. Sometimes those games don't even have deep gameplay.

Check out my super awesome Super Mario Maker levels.

3DS Friend Code: 4596-9585-5314 | Nintendo Network ID: JahirBGoode

Dave24

MrMario02 wrote:

I mean have franchises that are meant for people who want to get into these kinds of games.

Well, for every Civ & Supreme Commander you have Wolrd at War/Warlock/Tropico/Heroes of Might and Magic. Even Warcraft/Company of Heroes/Dawn of War fit, because those are easy to pick up and play. Same with RPGs, too many to count. There is diversity, more on the "casual" side actually, so I don't know what you're trying to say. There are more and more games getting streamlined and that's the future, because when there is no streamlining, then you have kids crying and repeating BS after another like "U HAVE TOO REPLAY ALL THE MISSIONS IN MGS5 ON EXTREME!1111111 G4YZORZ". because it's not spoon fed/spelled out that you are actually not forced to do it.

Dave24

Whydoievenbother

@Dave24 I'm saying that there needs to be a way for young gamers that aren't hardcore to learn the complexities of play and eventually become hardcore gamers themselves, or at the very least, be games that gamers that primarily play casual games and hardcore gamers can share the experience.

Also, is kids shouting crap like "U HAVE TOO REPLAY ALL THE MISSIONS IN MGS5 ON EXTREME!1111111 G4YZORZ" any different from gamers who've been playing since the SNES shouting "IF U PLAY CONTRA 3 ON ANY DIFFICULTY OTHER THAN HARD, U NOT REEEEEEL GAMUR!!!!!!!!!!11111111111"

Light Yagami, Death Note
Phillip J. Fry, Futurama

LzWinky

Socar wrote:

Gamers who blame Nintendo for making its games for a young audience shouldn't blame Nintendo for that....but should blame Nintendo of America for that.

Let's think about this for a sec. While we know that Nintendo doesn't really use extreme graphic and violent content, they sometimes do that and release the games the way it is despite it being one of their major policies. One example I can think of is Genealogy of Holy war.....that game even if you've played little has lots of mature content like genocide, etc.

Another example is the absence of Devil's world for USA mainly because of it being religious.

What does this have to do with Nintendo of America? Because they are the ones that decide what game is best to localize and market. When they see a game that doesn't cost much to do marketing and localizing, they censor it and make it as "friendly" as possible inorder to maintain Nintendo's main image.

What NoA did with Xenoblade and Fire Emblem just now further proves that NoA is partly responsible for what Nintendo could possibly get for trying to put matured content.

Now some of you will argue that this really won't change much and will still give the gamer's thought of Nintendo as them being all the "kiddy". But honestly, if Nintendo is trying to cater to the matured audience, then they have every right to expose that art to the matured audience rather than dealing with the American division's problem which is to make sure that Nintendo doesn't often go to court by some angry parent who thinks that their games are extremely violent and all other lame excuses.

Heck, I actually didn't care much of the dark stuff that Thousand Year door had and I love the hell out of that game. I didn't care how creepy Majora's Mask turned out because I respect its direction of art.

When I see Nintendo being bashed, I feel that gamers need to bash Nintendo of America alone and not the real Nintendo. Because not only the American division can't make attempts to do some great marketing like how they did in the 80's but they also ruin every little chance that gory violent content can possibly prove many gamers wrong about Nintendo as a whole.

That being said, I'm not saying that NoA should stop censoring. Infact, its too late for them to take this approach of censoring after they created a specific audience. I'm just saying to provide an option where young kids can play the game censored whereas grownups like us can play it uncensored when possible and when its something that can be accepted despite the possible chance that it could ruin Nintendo's image if Nintendo wants to take that risk of trying to make matured content.

And then you look at a majority of Nintendo's library and realize where this argument falls flat on its face

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

Socar

@TingLz: But the library has nothing to do with what Nintendo wants to appeal to a mature audience now does it? Why should the library even matter if they want to try to put matured content in it.

If Nintendo wants to make Mario use some sort of gun to appeal to a matured audience, I don't see the problem with that considering how there are some Mario games that do have dark content in them.

Dave24

MrMario02 wrote:

@Dave24 I'm saying that there needs to be a way for young gamers that aren't hardcore to learn the complexities of play and eventually become hardcore gamers themselves, or at the very least, be games that gamers that primarily play casual games and hardcore gamers can share the experience.

Also, is kids shouting crap like "U HAVE TOO REPLAY ALL THE MISSIONS IN MGS5 ON EXTREME!1111111 G4YZORZ" any different from gamers who've been playing since the SNES shouting "IF U PLAY CONTRA 3 ON ANY DIFFICULTY OTHER THAN HARD, U NOT REEEEEEL GAMUR!!!!!!!!!!11111111111"

Well, sorry, we misunderstood each other, so I'll try to make it clear.
What I meant with MGS5 is that the biggest complain about it is that you have to replay the same missions in chapter 2 that you already beat in chapter 1, only diffrence being extreme difficulty setting and because of that people call it prolonging the game, rehash etc. becauce they think that you have to beat them to advance the story, which is not true at all. However, people don't know that/didn't notice, because it wasn't spelled out with textbox on whole screen.
Complete streamlining is the only way forward, because people can't be bothered to figure something out without help of the interwebz or messege taking entire screen.

Edited on by Dave24

Dave24

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic