Forums

Topic: Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Posts 3,661 to 3,680 of 12,088

veeflames

@TheLastLugia: You forgot to mention "fanboy." As in one of those words that makes arguments lose all worth.

God first.
My Switch FC: SW824410196326

3DS Friend Code: 1134-8006-9637 | Nintendo Network ID: VolcanoFlames

Shinion

@VeeFlamesNL: well the people who use that word tend to be not worth anyone's time debating with. At least with the others that I mentioned, they're at least trying to make a point, they just don't understand those words when they use them or don't use them in the right context. When the attention turns to trying to rile the other(s), you're best to just drop it in my opinion.

Edited on by Shinion

Shinion

clvr

@Bolt_Strike: woah this guy throws random percentages and invents personal definitions of pre-existing words, he MUST be right! How stupid I am for trying to point out the fallacies of his argumentations!
Besides the fact I'm still trying to figure out what question you were answering by saying "it actually does", your point just doesn't hold up, simply because you're using the wrong words. I guess the definition of "game that only adds something to the existing mechanics of its predecessor" would be more something like "safe sequel", rather than "generic". A game can be both, do you realize that? If an original, unique game gets a sequel, what is its sequel then? Let's pretend a game like The World Ends With You is getting a sequel; if you've ever played it, you sure can't deem it "uncreative" or "unoriginal".
So, this hypothetical TWEWY 2 is going to have the same core mechanics that previously were exclusive to one game; does this reduce the originality of said mechanics just because they are used in two games instead of one? If your answer is "yes", then you're looking for "unique" games, not "original" ones.
That's simply because "generic" indicates characteristics adopted by a majority of things (games, songs, films, books, etc.), so what is not generic is what sets itself apart from the majority by trying something different.
The first Smash Bros. did this. Then came its sequels. So now 4 games share those unique traits. Is it going to diminish their uniqueness? No, when you count 4 games among thousands and thousands of other games. Are these 4 games a minority that do things differently? Yes, they are. Point proved.

Clover.

My Nintendo: clvr51 | Nintendo Network ID: clvr51

Shinion

@clvr: but he doesn't like it, therefore it must be generic. It has to be, there's no other explanation. In fact, there's no need for a debate, it fits his definition of generic, and for him that's the only one that matters. Therefore, Super Smash Bros is definitely 100% generic.

Shinion

Whydoievenbother

Does anyone actually remember that Jack Thompson was just another nutcase politicial figure with money? He's said stupid things about things other than video games.

"I'll take a potato chip... AND EAT IT!"
Light Yagami, Death Note
"Ah, the Breakfast Club soundtrack! I can't wait 'til I'm old enough to feel ways about stuff!"
Phillip J. Fry, Futurama

LzWinky

Bolt_Strike wrote:

LztheQuack wrote:

Except fighting games are ones that shouldn't change too much. Keeping the same formula is what makes them successful.

Fighting games aren't exempt from that, that's basic Psychology, it affects every genre.

Of course. As I said before, games don't need to be shaken up all the time to stay relevant.

I will admit that some Nintendo franchises are stale like Pokemon and Kirby.

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

jump

I don't find Kirby that stale, they throw enough ideas into it every now and then to keep it being a straight repeat. New Super Mario Bros being a far worse offender in terms of staleness, just get rid of the new tag already!

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

Joestar-

I think Viewtiful Joe is a better Capcom platformer than Mega Man 2 (Please don't kill me)

Joestar-

Bolt_Strike

It is so typical of you guys to focus on one little word or phrase in my argument and other minor technicalities while ignoring the larger point of what I'm saying, such brilliant grade A counterarguments you guys are making right now. Anyway, I will say that Smash being generic isn't necessarily bad for the game, the game lives and dies by its character choice so it really isn't a huge deal if the series rehashes (although it could stand out a LOT more if it doesn't). It's just that that kind of approach contributes to the general perception that Nintendo is recycling its previous ideas. There are other series that rehashing affects even worse (Mario and DK most notably).

Edited on by Bolt_Strike

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

Joestar-

I also really don't like Super Mario 3D World, neat concepts, just didn't appeal to me like Galaxy, 64, or Sunshine do

Joestar-

Socar

I just want to ask.....when you play a game, do you feel it being the complete same thing as the previous game? If so, then how in the hell are many of you still supporting Nintendo to this day?

Super Mario......fresh ideas every now and then. I'd argue that even the New series does "new" things but sadly, not anyone sees that. Zelda.....are you kidding me? All Zelda games are extremely unique from visuals to gameplay. Sure, minor games might be similar to each other but a Link Between worlds.....really? You're telling me that's generic? It even beats the Original Zelda game!

I seriously don't get why you guys support Nintendo if you're complaining that its not unique. I love Super Mario 3D Land and I think that's the best 3DS game ever! How is it generic when it tried doing something different?

You can literally say the same thing for western games not being all that different either. The west have a problem of not being able to do innovation because the "Business" guys don't like Innovation. Be happy that Japanese developers are doing something different. It almost sounds like you guys are anti-Nintendo gamers.

After so long...I'm back. Don't ask why

Nintendo Network ID: ArtwarkSwark | Twitter:

Shinion

@Bolt_Strike: yeah I'd love it if they took your brilliant ideas you suggest to improve Smash and stop it being a rehash. You've gone into so much detail, I'm genuinely impressed. I mean, this is like the 10th comment I've read of yours, and your knowledge and expertise still astounds me to this day. I can't even single out one idea I like most, can we just have all of them please Sakurai? In fact better than that, if Nintendo's big-wigs frequented this forum they'd kick him out and hire you in his place. How haven't they implemented the ideas you've suggested already? They make so much sense. Such brilliant grade A improvements. All new, all fresh and best of all, 0 rehash. Bolt Strike for Smash (director)!

Shinion

I-U

I would probably say that the current generation is Nintendo's worst generation. With all the updates being made available, and the overall internet dependence for them, the waiting just to play games, get into new content and experience games at their best has finally gotten to me. I currently am unable to play both versions of Smash 4 because I'm required to have an update that doesn't want to complete itself. That also means I'm unable to get the Cloud DLC, and I really want to play as Cloud. All of these Smash 4 issues are coming off the heels of waiting nearly 29 hours for Xenoblade Chronicles X to get all of its updates so that I would be playing it at the ideal performance. I'm just so tired of not being able to play these games I've purchased with my own money and their associated content. Honestly, this generation feels more like a regression than a progression for Nintendo with their current hardware. I think I'm going to be doing a lot of retro gaming once the NX releases, because I don't see the situation getting any better.

"The secret to ultimate power lies in the Alimbic Cluster."

Blue_Blur

Joestar- wrote:

I also really don't like Super Mario 3D World, neat concepts, just didn't appeal to me like Galaxy, 64, or Sunshine do

I agree, 3D World was no where near a bad game, but I much prefer Sunshine, 64, or Galaxy before it.

I haven't played all of the Star Fox games; only a little bit of Command, and played some of 64 and all of Adventures. I know Adventures isn't how a real Star Fox game is, (not a lot of Arwing time), but it's still my favorite Star Fox game. To me, it still felt like Star Fox and kept me playing for a long time. I'm probably gonna get Star Fox Zero, most likely not on release day, but sometime in the future. Maybe it'll surpass Adventures for me... but maybe not.

Splatoon Rank: S+
Splatoon 2 Ranks: SZ: S+ / TC: S+ / RM: S+ / CB: S+

AlliMeadow

I-U wrote:

I would probably say that the current generation is Nintendo's worst generation. With all the updates being made available, and the overall internet dependence for them, the waiting just to play games, get into new content and experience games at their best has finally gotten to me. I currently am unable to play both versions of Smash 4 because I'm required to have an update that doesn't want to complete itself. That also means I'm unable to get the Cloud DLC, and I really want to play as Cloud. All of these Smash 4 issues are coming off the heels of waiting nearly 29 hours for Xenoblade Chronicles X to get all of its updates so that I would be playing it at the ideal performance. I'm just so tired of not being able to play these games I've purchased with my own money and their associated content. Honestly, this generation feels more like a regression than a progression for Nintendo with their current hardware. I think I'm going to be doing a lot of retro gaming once the NX releases, because I don't see the situation getting any better.

Then the problem most likely lies with your connection and not Nintendo. I think this gen is one of the best, because of the updates on their big hits. The free Splatoon and Mario Maker updates are wonderful so far, and the MK8 and SSB4 DLC are also great. I also love the VC on both the 3DS and WiiU, and it has given me the chance to play games much more conveniently. Being able to download a game when it releases is a blessing compared to going to the store the day after. I also love the convenience of having all my games on hard drive, making it so much easier to swap games.

AlliMeadow

Nintendo Network ID: Alli-V-Meadow

I-U

My internet connection is not responsible for Nintendo making games (i.e Smash) that require updates to even play. I should still be able to get into the games I bought, and simply be locked out of the online multiplayer portion of the experience.

jump

I-U wrote:

My internet connection is not responsible for Nintendo making games (i.e Smash) that require updates to even play. I should still be able to get into the games I bought, and simply be locked out of the online multiplayer portion of the experience.

I'm pretty sure thats the case already as I've played them before without updating.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

NintendoFan64

I-U wrote:

As @arronishere said, yeah. You can already do that.

There is nothing here...except for the stuff I just typed...

3DS Friend Code: 5284-1716-7555 | Nintendo Network ID: michaelmcepic

I-U

I cannot currently play either version without an update, like I said. I have been able to play at least once before without updating on the 3DS version though which makes the current update requirement that much more frustrating for me.

Edited on by I-U

LzWinky

Fine, I'll respond to your whole post.

Bolt_Strike wrote:

It is so typical of you guys to focus on one little word or phrase in my argument and other minor technicalities while ignoring the larger point of what I'm saying, such brilliant grade A counterarguments you guys are making right now.

Well you said earlier that Nintendo is largely uncreative and repetitive. Pardon our assumptions.

Anyway, I will say that Smash being generic isn't necessarily bad for the game, the game lives and dies by its character choice so it really isn't a huge deal if the series rehashes (although it could stand out a LOT more if it doesn't).

Case closed then. I have nothing more to add here.

It's just that that kind of approach contributes to the general perception that Nintendo is recycling its previous ideas. There are other series that rehashing affects even worse (Mario and DK most notably).

Everyone recycles ideas. It seems to me that you keep claiming that this is bad and will contribute to "stale" ideas. But I'm still confused as to why you keep claiming that DK is redundant. Country Returns only had two games (yes, I'd consider it a separate series from the original trilogy)

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic