Forums

Topic: Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Posts 3,621 to 3,640 of 12,088

IceClimbers

shaneoh wrote:

LztheQuack wrote:

So taking a 2D formula into 3D is not enough change? Wut?

Well obviously Mario needs to be dual-wielding pistols

Dual-wielding? Why not quad-wielding?

Untitled

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

shaneoh

IceClimbers wrote:

shaneoh wrote:

LztheQuack wrote:

Well obviously Mario needs to be dual-wielding pistols

Dual-wielding? Why not quad-wielding?

Probably not a good idea, both ideas have already been done... so obviously Mario needs to be made out of guns:
Untitled

The Greatest love story ever, Rosie Love (part 33 done)
The collective noun for a group of lunatics is a forum. A forum of lunatics.
I'm belligerent, you were warned.

Shinion

Basically then if Mario is collecting stars or going through a level to reach the flag at the end then nuh-uh that's a paddlin' in Bolt Strike's eyes. I agree with others who've already said similar, it's a shame that Mario gets this flack from these people, he's going on and on and on about how Mario games are stale or not fresh or repetitive and I just fail to understand even that basic point. I've played almost all the Mario games at least once and they're all brilliantly fun and that's all that matters. And yes Zelda U will be the game to decide things, it seems you're reluctant to diverge away from one series to extrapolate your arguement, so I don't see why you're then judging me for relying on one series as well. Pot meet kettle etc.

Edited on by Shinion

Shinion

LzWinky

Joshua179 wrote:

@LztheQuack: Nah I've not completed it but I've been in plenty of situations where you need a certain sticker and it doesn't indicate to where it is (if I remember right?) but I think the game gets treated a bit unfairly. It's got some things right, not the battle system, story or character of the game, but it's not a 'bad' game? Maybe I am just forgetting thou how bad that sticker hunting was! Haha

While it does some things right, unfortunately the bad parts ruin some key parts of the game...including the final battle. It left a very sour taste in my mouth.

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

ThePirateCaptain

I really like Sticker Star and I believe it is a legitimately good game. Does it have flaws? Of course, but the good far outweighs the bad for me. The battle system was pretty fun, though I admit that they didn't give you enough incentive to actually battle. It didn't really bother me while playing, but I can see how some people would be upset. The best part of the game was the level design by far. Aside from the third area of the game, the levels were very cleverly designed and it was a joy to explore them.

Overall, Sticker Star is a great game. Maybe not a great Paper Mario game, but a good game on its own.

ThePirateCaptain

3DS Friend Code: 3523-2096-8169 | Nintendo Network ID: Capn_Pancakes

Bolt_Strike

LztheQuack wrote:

Not really. The mechanics don't change from 2D to 3D, and the linear level design doesn't really take advantage of 3D space. 2D to 3D matters more in open ended level design where you can go in any direction you want, but in a linear game all 3D does is let you move to the side a little bit while still forcing you forward just like a 2D game.

SpookyMeths wrote:

Super Mario 64, Super Mario Sunshine, Super Mario Galaxy, and Super Mario 3D World are all about as different as you can possibly get while still being:

1) 3D platformers
2) Mario games
3) Good

Every single game keeps the same core gameplay while having a new, unique take on the mechanics and level design. With the exception of SM3DL/W, any two games in the 3D Mario series are different enough that they could pass for different IPs.

Yeah, they're all different from each other except for 3D Land and 3D World, a.k.a. the games I was criticizing for being too similar, so way to prove my point. Really though, what "new, unique take on the mechanics and level design" are you seeing in those games, because I'm not seeing them. They don't really change the gameplay mechanics as much as they sprinkle gimmicks and other assorted extras on top, 64/Sunshine/Galaxy is more along the lines of a change in mechanics, I wouldn't say they could pass for different IPs at all (if anything, 64/Sunshine/Galaxy vs. NSMB/3D would pass as different IPs, the formulas and game direction are so radically different from each other).

SpookyMeths wrote:

NSMB sequels are the only misfires, and their biggest sin is being too similar to the first NSMB.

That's exactly what I'm saying though, all 6 of these games are too similar to NSMB to really be that fun. Even 3D Land and 3D World, for all of the hype about the games being a unique hybrid of NSMB and the collectathons, they're really just NSMB in 3D. So we have 6 Mario games from the last 10 years (5 of which are from the last 6 years!) which all share the same gameplay and template, so of course it's going to feel repetitive.

TheLastLugia wrote:

Basically then if Mario is collecting stars or going through a level to reach the flag at the end then nuh-uh that's a paddlin' in Bolt Strike's eyes.

WTF are you even talking about?

TheLastLugia wrote:

And yes Zelda U will be the game to decide things, it seems you're reluctant to diverge away from one series to extrapolate your arguement, so I don't see why you're then judging me for relying on one series as well. Pot meet kettle etc.

Let's look at some others then if you insist. DK was revived through Returns which was largely similar to the originals with a bunch of elements cut out (all of the animal buddies except Rambi, swimming, throwing mechanics, the ability to play as two players separately), and then we got Tropical Freeze which has a meaningless setting with no impact on the game and "new" gameplay mechanics that basically play catch up with the classic trilogy and treat them as new things, doing nothing to truly push the series forward. Yoshi and Kirby haven't really done anything new in the last 5 years either, with most of the additions to the gameplay being once in a level gimmicks (Mega Egg Dozers, Super Abilities, Hypernova). So no, it's not just limited to Mario, that's just the best example to demonstrate the change in development patterns.

Edited on by Bolt_Strike

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

Shinion

Here's my unpopular opinion, Nintendo should go all out with their next Mario game and come out with something completely original and out-of-the-box that no one was expecting, and for good measure they can try to appeal to people who would never have bought a traditional Mario game before. I'm talking the exact opposite of what people were expecting them to make, so much so that this argument would fail at its basic principles, and it will throw the 'Nintendo/Mario rehash' debate out of the window forever.

Here's what I'm thinking, they could create a brand new character ('cause heaven knows the series is in dire need for that) and make HIM the protagonist, with Mario, Luigi (of course) et all being side-characters. To appeal to a new audience, he should be everything Mario isn't- dark, brooding, edgy, cool and hardcore. Make his design all dark and shadowy, with him barley showing any emotions at all. Shadow the Plumber will be his name, and he could breathe new life on the series.

Going even further, to shake up the gameplay side of things in this game, you know what the Mario series (or gaming in general to be frank) could use more of? Guns. Guns, guns, guns and more guns. It's the absolutely essentialy certain next step for this tired old series, give Shadow the Plumber more guns than your average PS4 series and have him shoot the bad guys all cool and hardcore like. That's where we know it's gonna work, as it will also suit Shadow's persona whilst ALSO appealing to our new audience. COD has guns, most of EA's games have guns and the average game that Sony are hyping up has guns. Let's incorporate it therefore into the gameplay for this new game. Mario, Luigi, Bowser all with guns. Oh and you gotta have some generic human grunts to shoot at for hours on end, that's a given, just throw 'em in there next to the walking turtles and mushrooms. What could possibly go wrong?

Oh and the music, environments, story and enemy designs have all got to be as dark and edgy as possible too. No exceptions. Dump the tired old Stars, Coins, Mushrooms, creative designs of the soundtrack and characters, just give us NEW things that we haven't seen in a Mario game before but are in most other games so they should be in Mario games too. Guns. Oh but it of course must still be a 3D platformer, the two will blend seamlessly. Can you imagine the fun? Shooting generic grunts one moment, jumping on Koopas the next. Fun, fun for everyone. Guns.

But yes, that is what Nintendo and the Mario team should do next. Not just get rid of the successful and fun elements the series has established over 30 years, but do the EXACT opposite to those things. With guns. At least it won't have those tired gameplay elements like collecting stars and coins, just guns. And yes it will be called Super Shadow the Plumber. Get hyped y'all

Boy I got carried away there, hopefully I entertained some folks whilst making a point, Sonic is all but dead for a reason or two.

Edited on by Shinion

Shinion

LadyCharlie

@TheLastLugia: i c what u did there

LadyCharlie

Switch Friend Code: SW-1787-3887-5088 | 3DS Friend Code: 3883-6315-2933

Whydoievenbother

I hate it when gamers pick a company to worship and act like they do no harm (Lookin' at you XBOX Fanboys).

"I'll take a potato chip... AND EAT IT!"
Light Yagami, Death Note
"Ah, the Breakfast Club soundtrack! I can't wait 'til I'm old enough to feel ways about stuff!"
Phillip J. Fry, Futurama

Shinion

@MrMario02: this is the UNpopular opinions thread dude FYI. We all got tired of this PS v Xbox 'war' years ago, yet some people still act in the same way. They're relics really, of a time when it was arguably fun to pick a side and stay loyal to it, now it's just old hat, especially when they're so similar now anyway. So you picked a PS4 to play Fallout 4, COD, Battlefront and The Witcher 3 over an Xbox One. So what? Oh and Nintendo fans can be just as bad at times, but I've not seen that as much recently, especially since E3. But man is it booooooooooring seeing the same old comments when the best selling console (spoiler PS4) is revealed every month.

Shinion

Whydoievenbother

@TheLastLugia It's not just Xbox and Sony fans, I've seen it done for several companies (including 3rd parties). For instance, I once was talking with a friend who loves Ubisoft, and I told him about the whole situation about how Tom Clancy's The Division was using the Mic Trick (A marketing trick used to trick people into thinking that something looks better than it actually is through voiceovers) in it's ads, and he made the claim that he knows Ubisoft executives and that those are being added into the game and that I just hate everything.

"I'll take a potato chip... AND EAT IT!"
Light Yagami, Death Note
"Ah, the Breakfast Club soundtrack! I can't wait 'til I'm old enough to feel ways about stuff!"
Phillip J. Fry, Futurama

kkslider5552000

BinaryFragger wrote:

MrMario02 wrote:

I hate it when gamers pick a company to worship and act like they do no harm (Lookin' at you XBOX Fanboys).

Might as well look at Nintendo and PlayStation fanboys too, they're just as bad.

disagree, if entirely because Nintendo and Sony are less bad

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Socar

@BinaryFragger: @MrMario02: Tell me about it.

I once had a fought with some troll and that guy claims that Nintendo is acting a LOT like third parties. He claims that Nintendo wants us to buy 80$ Fire Emblem Fates instead of choosing the option and I told him that its not needed.

Then he went on saying that Federation Force is a complete insult to Metroid fans. When I told him the game really doesn't look all bad, he claimed that I am a hypocrite and that I worship Nintendo all the time. And the guy thinks that Reggie is the CEO of Nintendo.....

And for those who think that I do defend Nintendo a lot, I defend them for good moves they made not just for us but also for the industry as a whole. The Wii U is innovative compared to PS4 and ONE and there is a reason to get one. I will admit their flaws such as having GBA games exclusively on Wii U or not having the ability to sell the gamepad separately. But comparing them to third parties, they sure as hell are delivering quality compared to SEGA, Square Enix etc. I mean if making a port of Final Fantasy 6 to Steam is such a hard thing for Square Enix to do, then why not just release it on the virtual console instead? Even better, why not take the time to do a proper port?

I do play third party games but a lot of them just don't interest me but do you have to attack me for that? I can say that a LOT of you guys don't like certain games that Nintendo makes and that is true especially when looking at @bolt_strike. Am I attacking you at that? No. Am I telling you that your are the worst gamer and whatnot? No. You play what you want to play. Simple as that. I don't like many third party games because they don't have that engaging game feel that Nintendo games often do. I love Awakening better than Valkyria Chronicles yet I can understand why many would love the latter.

So yeah, quit mocking me that I'm a Nintendo Fanboy and what not when I love Nintendo and that the whole reason why I'm around here is because of Nintendo and nothing else. Sure, certain third parties like SEGA were also involved in my childhood but Nintendo was the major reason why I am becoming a game designer as I am right now.

After so long...I'm back. Don't ask why

Nintendo Network ID: ArtwarkSwark | Twitter:

kkslider5552000

BinaryFragger wrote:

kkslider5552000 wrote:

disagree, if entirely because Nintendo and Sony are less bad

I disagree that they're "less bad."
All three companies have done their share of controversial business practices. Nintendo's bullying tactics towards retailers and third-party developers during the 80s are well known (they even got in trouble with the government).
As for Sony and Microsoft, their shady business practices are too numerous to list.

All three companies have done their share of good and bad things and which one is the worse is subjective.

Maybe I should've rephrased that.

Nintendo and Sony are CURRENTLY less bad. And in terms of delivering quality products on their home console, I wouldn't even add that change. Nintendo do many good things as a business that most major gaming companies do not (even if that leads to some brand NEW bad things sometimes), and Sony is currently funding half of the game industry essentially.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Rumorlife

Sony is too poor to be bad right now.

Rumorlife

Shinion

@Freeon-Leon: well there's at least one other person in the world who shares this opinion, that person being me. I wouldn't say that any game is perfect, but Galaxy 2 comes very, very close.

Shinion

clvr

NintendoFan64 wrote:

Okay. Explain how Smash Bros is a generic fighting game (seriously, WHAT!?).

It's generic in the sense that it's the same fighting mechanics from game to game and little more than a multiplayer mode. Although to be fair, there's not much else they can add to it anyway, hence why I don't rag on that IP as much.

NintendoFan64 wrote:

Let's see...you seem to dislike 3D World, Donkey Kong, Yoshi, Kirby and Smash. They all have had games that are sequels this gen, and every one of them has managed to have at least one of those things you've listed.

No they don't. None of the changes they've brought to the table are really meaningful. The changes are either gimmicks that only show up a handful of times throughout the game (as opposed to gameplay elements that affect the entire game, which is what I want to see more of), not utilized in the level design well to make an impact, or are minor changes that don't really deviate far from the main formula.

[/quote]

1) assuming your critiques as facts for a moment, we understand that Smash as a series is stale due to its lack of change in mechanics and also limitd in scope by its small number of modes, that's right? So if that is the truth (as arguable as it gets), I guess the problem is elsewhere, since the problems you've described don't have anything to do with the word "generic". English is not my native language so I tend to be cautious with the terms I use in order to avoid misunderstandings, but I guess you don't.

2) all of those sequels don't significantly improve on the core mechanics of their predecessors nor do they drastically change them; this is your point, right? The only games I've played among the list are Smash 4 and SM3DW, so I'll only talk about them.
About Smash 4, there's not much to complain about; what can you expect from a series that spawns one title for generation and isn't narrative driven? It is pretty obvious the core gameplay will stay that way, with minor changes and additions to make it feel more "complete" and "polished" than ever. The same goes for Mario Kart and pretty much every fighting/sports/racing series in existence. So, assuming you do have a problem with Smash 4, I guess it is more about the "format" than the game itself.
About SM3DW, I guess it should be considered the same as a SMG2 of sorts: the second "installment" in one of the possible variations on the 3D Mario theme. That, obviously, doesn't stand as an alibi for it changing very little from its predecessor, but I think it's the best way to look at it.
First you have 3D Land, which shakes up the Mario formula by mixing together its two "identities", creating at the same time a third variation which estabilishes itself as another way of playing Mario, and then you have 3D World, which takes the core gameplay as it is from Land and refines some aspects while adding new "gimmicks" (as you like to call them) and throwing in a multiplayer mode.
That sounds exactly like every sequel ever, doesn't it? Being 3D World basically a sequel, what did you expect from it? To reinvent again the mechanics of a 3D Mario? I guess you're looking in the wrong direction. If that is what you're looking for, you should totally be fine with 3D Land, though, since it marked the first time in 6 years (since Galaxy, basically) the core Mario gameplay got rethought and rebuilt. In a world that gets a new COD, AC & co. each and every year (and each with their own season passes), I think we can still live well and be fine even if two Mario games in a row share their core gameplay.
Also, taking a broader perspective: how many franchises can be said to actually change so radically every such few years? SM64, SMS, SMG/SMG2, SM3DL/W and the 2D games are very different from one another while retaining the same core concepts, so I tend to consider each of them apart from the others, but even if you don't, you can't deny the differences between them that affect the whole gameplay (as you like to point out). The FLUDD, the planets, the fusion with the 2D mechanics...each of these features goes on to play a huge role in the core gamplay elements, and as a result, each of these "groups" of experiences feel different from one another.
But something tells me you're not sold on my argumentations and you'll want to keep on calling things generic.
Hope I'm wrong.

Clover.

My Nintendo: clvr51 | Nintendo Network ID: clvr51

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic