Forums

Topic: Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Posts 3,261 to 3,280 of 12,088

Whydoievenbother

People complain about grey and brown graphics, when games like Wind Waker and Okami (games with very cartoony art styles) sold rather poorly (in the case of Wind Waker, because of it's graphics)

"I'll take a potato chip... AND EAT IT!"
Light Yagami, Death Note
"Ah, the Breakfast Club soundtrack! I can't wait 'til I'm old enough to feel ways about stuff!"
Phillip J. Fry, Futurama

las_cadenas

Freeon-Leon wrote:

I think Link's design in Zelda U is great, I like it as much as Minish Cap Link

So not that much?

las_cadenas

Nintendo_Ninja

@Freeon-Leon:
At this point, we don't know what he will look like.

Nintendo ID Network: Nintendo_Ninja
Mario Maker ID: LR5-VQV-THG

Nintendo_Ninja

Nintendo making paid mobile games would be dumb.

Nintendo ID Network: Nintendo_Ninja
Mario Maker ID: LR5-VQV-THG

Aviator

Artwark wrote:

• They are so evil that they haven't made a quality game for the Wii U and 3DS as of now.

The actual definition of evil.

QUEEN OF SASS

It's like, I just love a cowboy
You know
I'm just like, I just, I know, it's bad
But I'm just like
Can I just like, hang off the back of your horse
And can you go a little faster?!

CaviarMeths

MrMario02 wrote:

People complain about grey and brown graphics, when games like Wind Waker and Okami (games with very cartoony art styles) sold rather poorly (in the case of Wind Waker, because of it's graphics)

Inaccurate, revisionist sales analysis is not an opinion. By any metric, Wind Waker is a very commercially successful game.

• If you go by attach rate, about one in five Gamecube owners had Wind Waker. This is the 2nd highest attach rate for any Zelda game ever released.
  • If you go by absolute sales, it is still one of the best selling Zelda games. It outsold every portable entry and comes in at #3 for 3D console games.
  • If you compare it to other Gamecube games, it's the #4 best selling Gamecube game, after only Smash, Mario Kart, and Mario. The only other Zelda game to rank as highly is Ocarina of Time.

Edited on by CaviarMeths

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

Whydoievenbother

@SpookyMeths yes, but when put up against it's more realistic siblings (OOT and TP) the sales difference is painfully noticeable
OOT: approx. 8 million
TP: approx. 9 million
WW: approx. 4 million

Light Yagami, Death Note
"Ah, the Breakfast Club soundtrack! I can't wait 'til I'm old enough to feel ways about stuff!"
Phillip J. Fry, Futurama

jump

MrMario02 wrote:

@SpookyMeths yes, but when put up against it's more realistic siblings (OOT and TP) the sales difference is painfully noticeable

I would say the reason OOT of time sold so well was because OOT a truly groundbreaking game that was lavished with attention from all and TP was a launch title of Ninty's most successful ever home console and less to do with graphics.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

CaviarMeths

MrMario02 wrote:

SpookyMeths yes, but when put up against it's more realistic siblings (OOT and TP) the sales difference is painfully noticeable

Here, use less dishonest numbers.

OoT: 7.60 million to 32.93 million N64 owners
WW: 4.43 million to 21.74 million GCN owners
TP: 7.26 million to 101.53 million Wii owners // 1.32 million to 21.74 million GCN owners

"Wind Waker sold worse than OoT and TP in absolute numbers because graphics" is not an opinion. It's just factually incorrect.

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

Whydoievenbother

@SpookyMeths: But Eiji Aonuma is convinced that the graphics are the reason that Wind Waker wasn't as successful as they expected, so even if it wasn't because of the graphics, it has convinced at least a few big designers that kiddy art styles don't sell. Also I wasn't lying about the numbers I got:
7.60 million is approx 8 million
4.43 million is approx 5 million
7.26 million + 1.32 million is 8.58 million which is approx. 9 million
Still, I guess the failure wasn't as big as I thought, considering the console sales. But that's not what game developers see. They only see the game sales, and not the console's.

Edited on by Whydoievenbother

Light Yagami, Death Note
Phillip J. Fry, Futurama

kkslider5552000

He's so convinced that literally the most popular Nintendo system of all time (DS) got 2 games in that style.

My opinion is that stupid opinion about developers based on a thing they maybe did once should be reason to be stoned in public. (insert Sticker Star reference here)

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Whydoievenbother

@kkslider5552000: The DS was aimed at primarily so-called Casual gamers (and Gen-X Nintendo fans because 21st Century nintendo loves those guys). They even marketed it as such. Plus, the DS couldn't handle a very realistic-looking Zelda game.

Light Yagami, Death Note
Phillip J. Fry, Futurama

Octane

@MrMario02: Nintendo (and other developers) are aware of the attach rate. They won't look at the Wii U and think ''I wonder why Mario Kart 8 hasn't sold 15 million units yet...''.

Going by attach rate*:

OOT: 7.6 / 32.9 = 0.23
WW: 4.6 / 21.7 = 0.21
TP (GCN): 1.6 / 21.7 = 0.07
TP (Wii): 7.2 / 101.2 = 0.07

(The attach rates of MM and SS are lower than OOT and TP respectively; 0.10 for MM and 0.04 for SS)

Now, the Wii was quite a strange machine, as it attracted quite a lot of casual people who had never heard of or played a Zelda game, you cannot expect the attact rate to be as high as on other consoles, but I put those there since you were comparing it to Twilight Princess as well. Anyway, considering the marginal difference between Wind Waker and Ocarina of Time (a game that is considered one of the greatest of all time), Wind Waker did pretty amazing. As SpookyMeths said, it's one of the best selling GameCube games, and it's one of the best selling Zelda games, despite being a NGC title. I don't think it can be called a failure in any way. Now, Ōkami, that game was indeed not a commercial success...

*numbers are approximate; VGChartz numbers.

Octane

CaviarMeths

MrMario02 wrote:

kkslider5552000: The DS was aimed at primarily so-called Casual gamers (and Gen-X Nintendo fans because 21st Century nintendo loves those guys). They even marketed it as such. Plus, the DS couldn't handle a very realistic-looking Zelda game.

Aonuma makes whatever game and art style he wants. He has no such imagined restrictions as you impose on him. The marketing of the DS has no bearing whatsoever on the games he decided to make. And if the hardware can handle Metroid Prime Hunters, it can handle brown and green Zelda with anatomically correct proportions.

AceDefective

SpookyMeths wrote:

MrMario02 wrote:

kkslider5552000: The DS was aimed at primarily so-called Casual gamers (and Gen-X Nintendo fans because 21st Century nintendo loves those guys). They even marketed it as such. Plus, the DS couldn't handle a very realistic-looking Zelda game.

Aonuma makes whatever game and art style he wants. He has no such imagined restrictions as you impose on him. The marketing of the DS has no bearing whatsoever on the games he decided to make. And if the hardware can handle Metroid Prime Hunters, it can handle brown and green Zelda with anatomically correct proportions.

Untitled
If the DS could handle two Kingdom Hearts games in the style above (with some compromises made, mind you), it could of handled a TP styled Zelda.

Edited on by AceDefective

Just some random loser who loves a variety of things.
Youtube Channel | Deviant ART | YoYo Games account |

3DS Friend Code: 2079-6493-1326 | Nintendo Network ID: ZeroZX_Dev | Twitter:

Socar

@MrMario02: Not true at all.

The DS also has hardcore games. the purpose of the DS was to motivate non gamers into games which Nintendo successfully did.

After so long...I'm back. Don't ask why

Nintendo Network ID: ArtwarkSwark | Twitter:

LaserdiscGal

Artwark wrote:

The DS also has hardcore games. the purpose of the DS was to motivate non gamers into games which Nintendo successfully did.

The purpose of the DS was to make money, like every other product.

LaserdiscGal

3DS Friend Code: 0688-5519-2711 | My Nintendo: pokefraker | Nintendo Network ID: pokefraker

-Godot

Artwark wrote:

Wait, so if the purpose of the DS was to motivate non-gamers into games, then you're saying systems such as the Game Boy Advance and Gamecube did none of such, focusing specifically on the gamer community? I would have to disagree with that, are you saying that the majority of the 81 million people that bought GBAs were gamers? And the same for those who purchased the 100 million+ selling Gameboy? I agree that the DS had a versatile library that fit many different types of consumers, but i think the same could be said for nearly all of Nintendo's previous systems.

Currently bored (while change when I stop being bored)

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic