Forums

Topic: Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Posts 3,161 to 3,180 of 12,088

DefHalan

MrMario02 wrote:

I personally think that Bioware is safe from EA's wrath...for now. Meanwhile, I think that Visceral Games is in danger. After the overall reactions to Dead Space 3 and Battlefield: Hardline, it's only a matter of time before Visceral ends up like Maxis, Danger Close, and Pandemic.

EA destroyed those studios, and then since those studios didn't make money, EA closed them. Once EA enforces too much negative in a Bioware game, and people stop supporting it, Bioware will start to follow the others

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

TylerTheCreator

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and 3DS is better than Super Smash Bros. Melee.

TylerTheCreator

3DS Friend Code: 1633-4674-8666 | Nintendo Network ID: Shock-T

Blue_Blur

TylerTheCreator wrote:

I agree! Smash 4 is my favorite Smash Bros. game, with Brawl coming in second. Melee was fun, but I'm not a fan of wavedashing. I'm glad Dr. Mario has returned, though. Pichu was cute, but taking damage from your own attacks was a bad idea...

Splatoon Rank: S+
Splatoon 2 Ranks: SZ: S+ / TC: S+ / RM: S+ / CB: S+

CaviarMeths

My unpopular opinion is that people who talk about "freedom of speech" usually don't know what it means or how it applies.

Edited on by CaviarMeths

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

Buizel

DarthNocturnal wrote:

Sonic CD is overrated.

Confusing, maze-like level designs that just seem to shoot you all over the place, awkward bonus stages, and no real incentive to collect the Time Stones. Also, feels too short (which is saying something for a game released in the era of "beat it in one sitting or learn the level select code").

I agree. Whereas I will always go back to 1, 2, 3+K, I very rarely have a desire to play CD just because of its level design. Definitely one of my least favourite games in the series, even if I really want to enjoy it...

At least 2'8".

-Godot

DarthNocturnal wrote:

Sonic CD is overrated.

Confusing, maze-like level designs that just seem to shoot you all over the place, awkward bonus stages, and no real incentive to collect the Time Stones. Also, feels too short (which is saying something for a game released in the era of "beat it in one sitting or learn the level select code").

http://howlongtobeat.com/game.php?id=8793
Short? If you ignore the past and future parts, it's pretty much around the same length as the Genesis ones. If you play it 100%, however, it takes a whole seven hours on average.

Currently bored (while change when I stop being bored)

TeeJay

TylerTheCreator wrote:

If you add me, I need to at least know you or I won't add you back.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5283-4033-0929 | 3DS Friend Code: 2423-1923-3519 | Nintendo Network ID: TeeJay92

Whydoievenbother

DefHalan wrote:

MrMario02 wrote:

I personally think that Bioware is safe from EA's wrath...for now. Meanwhile, I think that Visceral Games is in danger. After the overall reactions to Dead Space 3 and Battlefield: Hardline, it's only a matter of time before Visceral ends up like Maxis, Danger Close, and Pandemic.

EA destroyed those studios, and then since those studios didn't make money, EA closed them. Once EA enforces too much negative in a Bioware game, and people stop supporting it, Bioware will start to follow the others

Yeah. That's why I said for now.

"I'll take a potato chip... AND EAT IT!"
Light Yagami, Death Note
"Ah, the Breakfast Club soundtrack! I can't wait 'til I'm old enough to feel ways about stuff!"
Phillip J. Fry, Futurama

Whydoievenbother

DarthNocturnal wrote:

Sonic CD is overrated.

That's actually not too unpopular. Sonic CD has always been debated whether to be the best sonic or the worst.

"I'll take a potato chip... AND EAT IT!"
Light Yagami, Death Note
"Ah, the Breakfast Club soundtrack! I can't wait 'til I'm old enough to feel ways about stuff!"
Phillip J. Fry, Futurama

MarkyVigoroth

@AlliMeadow: @Tubalcain: You two are correct. The gist is that 'extreme' fiction harms everyone.
Me, I think that my opinion is unpopular because, whenever the subject of restricting 'extreme' media in even the slightest way comes up, tonnes of people 'defending free speech' follow. I mean, not even YouTube stuck with filtering objectionable language in the comments!

Edited on by MarkyVigoroth

Actually, I like Bowser AND hairy bellies!

MarkyVigoroth

Geonjaha wrote:

People who go on murder sprees are breaking the law, they aren't simply speaking. This is a ridiculous comparison to make. The whole point behind free speech is that people can question concepts and ideas without repurcussion. Words do not hurt people. They might sometimes annoy or offend people, but this is unavoidable, and making it illegal is overly protective and pathetic, not to mention a huge restriction on freedom. People can pack their media with whatever the hell they want - there is no law against it and there's no justifiable reason why there should be.

Would you support the freedom of speech of someone who counts fictional stories of a 50-year-old's erotic escapades with a 5-year-old?

Geonjaha wrote:

Numerous studies have shown that there is no correlation between being exposed to violent media and becoming violent or breaking the law. People with psychological problems existed before video games, books and television; their existence does not mean that media needs to be controlled for everyone else leading a normal life.

Where are those studies? I am seriously asking for these.

Geonjaha wrote:

Yeah, if this is true then you need to seek professional help. You are not the norm; don't for a second think that that is what most people experience when exposed to violent media. If you can't actually separate fiction from reality and are considering doing the things you do or see in fictional media, then go find some help. Seriously.

Geonjaha wrote:

So, because some people with this viewpoint were rude to you, their points must be invalid? Sorry, but that's not how facts work.

I specifically said that they were vulgar and violent (that is, death threats), not that they were merely rude. I just find odd that they, while saying that violent media does not affect people, end up outputting patterns similar to the media that they frequently consume. This argument ties with my previous one.

Geonjaha wrote:

The rest of what you wrote is just kind of a ramble based around 'Think of the children!', as if children are forever scarred if they happen to experience pieces of media that are above their recommended age (age restrictions do actually exist). Not really related to the rest of your points and I didn't see where you were going with it.

My focus was on people in general, though I had adults in mind when writing my arguments.

Actually, I like Bowser AND hairy bellies!

Nintendo_Ninja

Super Paper Mario is very underrated. I just started playing it again (I'm at the part after Mr.L) and it is just as great as I remember. Memorable characters, great graphics, fun gameplay, etc. I can't believe some fans dislike it.

Nintendo ID Network: Nintendo_Ninja
Mario Maker ID: LR5-VQV-THG

Socar

@Nintendo_Ninja: I concur. It is a pretty good game which tries to incorporate platforming with RPG in it. Infact, It would be really awesome if Sticker star went on the same approach which it didn't.

After so long...I'm back. Don't ask why

Nintendo Network ID: ArtwarkSwark | Twitter:

LaVelle

Brawl is still my favourite Smash game. I know it's kind of a lousy add-on but I really enjoyed the single player campaign. I like playing Smash when I'm with my friends but never play it on my own any more - which I used to do quite a bit with Brawl.

LaVelle

Megas75

LaVelle wrote:

Brawl is still my favourite Smash game. I know it's kind of a lousy add-on but I really enjoyed the single player campaign. I like playing Smash when I'm with my friends but never play it on my own any more - which I used to do quite a bit with Brawl.

I used to rag on Subspace Emissary, but after the cacapoopoo that was SSB4's Smash Tour, I realized just how much I enjoyed SSE and genuinely miss it

Edited on by Megas75

Steam/NNID/Xbox Gamertag - Megas75

CaviarMeths

@MarkyVigoroth

Here's a recent study published in Journal of Communication:
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/jcom.12129/full

It is very objective and follows violent crime trends of the last century. Its findings were that no link between video games and violent crime. In fact, with the rise in popularity of violent M-rated games like Grand Theft Auto and Call of Duty, the research finds that youth violence has decreased, though that could very well be simple correlation.

It's a bit of a dense read, so if you'd rather a summary write-up, several news outlets reported on it. Here's a few links:
http://nerdist.com/the-most-objective-study-yet-finds-no-link...
http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/gami...
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/science/11507576/Study-finds-...
http://www.sciencealert.com/definitive-study-finds-zero-link-...
http://gamerant.com/video-games-violent-behavior-study/

In conclusion, the "media makes people violent" stance is one born of no scientific research. It's an emotional reaction that "makes sense" to most people, so it stuck. It's the same as looking at data for rise in autism diagnosis and vaccination and saying that there is a direct causation there. Scientifically unfounded, emotional reaction, "makes sense." Or if we have a particularly cold winter, people scoff and say global warming doesn't exist. Scientifically unfounded, emotional reaction, "makes sense."

Then we waste money and resources doing this same research over and over again to prove again and again that media doesn't cause violence, vaccines don't cause autism, and climate change is very, very real. All this does is take attention away from focusing on real problems, what does actually cause violence and how to go about increasing prevention and awareness and getting at-risk people the help they need.

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

GoldenGamer88

Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World is better than Tales of Symphonia 1, there I said it!

And I really did enjoy Sonic R when I was younger, especially its music! I love the soundtrack to this very day.

Edited on by GoldenGamer88

Join the NL Inklings Discord Server: https://discord.gg/5gf7xg3

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-8427-0621-0325, Username: Montillo
PSN: Montillo88

Nintendo Network ID: Montillo

GoldenGamer88

@Nintendo_Ninja: I like it, too. I do prefer the gameplay of the first two PMs over this one, though. The characters, however, are as wacky and unique as those from the first two games. And that's what's important to me in a Paper Mario game and that's why Sticker Star is so bad.

Join the NL Inklings Discord Server: https://discord.gg/5gf7xg3

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-8427-0621-0325, Username: Montillo
PSN: Montillo88

Nintendo Network ID: Montillo

Ralizah

MarkyVigoroth wrote:

Would you support the freedom of speech of someone who counts fictional stories of a 50-year-old's erotic escapades with a 5-year-old?

Sure. And you should as well.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic