Forums

Topic: Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Posts 3,141 to 3,160 of 6,861

shaneoh

MrMario02 wrote:

@SpookyMeths: Okay, true but here's a list of white male protagonists in recent games:
EVERY CALL OF DUTY PROTAGONIST EVER (Call of Duty)
Axel (Streets of Rage)

I didn't realise Streets of Rage was a recent game, hell, half your list is composed of games at least 10 years old. You're also neglecting to mention Adam (Black guy) and Blaze (woman) who are playable characters in the first game.

The Greatest love story ever, Rosie Love (part 33 done)
The collective noun for a group of lunatics is a forum. A forum of lunatics.
I'm belligerent, you were warned.

Whydoievenbother

@shaneoh: oops. But you get the point. There are way too may white guy leads in games

Edited on by Whydoievenbother

"I'll take a potato chip... AND EAT IT!"
Light Yagami, Death Note
"Ah, the Breakfast Club soundtrack! I can't wait 'til I'm old enough to feel ways about stuff!"
Phillip J. Fry, Futurama

RR529

Also, both the Kanto & Johto regions in Pokémon are based on regions in Japan, so it's more likely that Red (and the protagonist of Gold/Silver) could easily be Asian.

Blog: https://rrblogweb.wordpress.com/

Currently Playing: Hitman GO

Recently Beat: Castle of Illussion: Starring Mickey Mouse, Lara Croft GO, Front Mission Evolved

GuardianKing

RR529 wrote:

Also, both the Kanto & Johto regions in Pokémon are based on regions in Japan, so it's more likely that Red (and the protagonist of Gold/Silver) could easily be Asian.

This. People often forget that except in rare exceptions where there is a clear distinction between white and Asian (see something like Gosick), Japanese people will often draw Asians as white people-ish.

My Neopet.
NL RPG Season 2
DA Profile

3DS Friend Code: 5258-0260-8594 | Nintendo Network ID: GuardianKing | Twitter:

AceDefective

I'm glad people are for diversity and all, but I feel like too many people nowadays make blanket statements about how there isn't enough of X types of characters without ever really actually looking for games with those type of characters first.
The only complaint I'd really side with about under-representation would be LGBT characters, but I'm sure once more of the LGBT community or more people with actual interest for creating these types of characters gets involved I'm sure it'll fix itself.

Just some random loser who loves a variety of things.
Youtube Channel | Deviant ART | YoYo Games account |

3DS Friend Code: 2079-6493-1326 | Nintendo Network ID: ZeroZX_Dev | Twitter:

Whydoievenbother

@ZeroZX-Dev: Agreed. But the lack of LGBT characters is partly because there are the supposed "enemy" of this generation (similar to the way that the Russians and the Japanese were, as a people, considered evil in the 80's and 90's).

"I'll take a potato chip... AND EAT IT!"
Light Yagami, Death Note
"Ah, the Breakfast Club soundtrack! I can't wait 'til I'm old enough to feel ways about stuff!"
Phillip J. Fry, Futurama

Bunnymentendo

SSB clones are awesome.

I'm a rare example of a guy who likes both cartoons and anime equally. Also, Breath of the Wild is AWESOME! (No Lego Movie pun intended)

Check out my Youtube channel here if you like cringy humor.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6275-6076-4710 | 3DS Friend Code: 1049-4443-8858 | Twitter:

CaviarMeths

MrMario02 wrote:

But the lack of LGBT characters is partly because there are the supposed "enemy" of this generation

???

??

?????????

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

shaneoh

MrMario02 wrote:

@ZeroZX-Dev: Agreed. But the lack of LGBT characters is partly because there are the supposed "enemy" of this generation (similar to the way that the Russians and the Japanese were, as a people, considered evil in the 80's and 90's).

I thought it was the middle easterners

The Greatest love story ever, Rosie Love (part 33 done)
The collective noun for a group of lunatics is a forum. A forum of lunatics.
I'm belligerent, you were warned.

RR529

MrMario02 wrote:

This is completely asanine.

As it's a hot button issue, there are a few loud groups in opposition, but overall as a culture (especially in popular culture), in no way is the LBGT community presented as evil (under represented? sure, especially in games, but not evil).

Even the Japanese example is a bit of a stretch. It was during the 80's where Japanese electronics started to become really mainstream & accepted by the general populace, and it was later in the 90's when the big surge in anime popularity began to hit the U.S.

Blog: https://rrblogweb.wordpress.com/

Currently Playing: Hitman GO

Recently Beat: Castle of Illussion: Starring Mickey Mouse, Lara Croft GO, Front Mission Evolved

Galvanic_Arcvn

I think Ridley was a dumb idea for a smash bros character from the start and someone like Rundas from MP:3 Corruption would fit the role of a fighter much better.

Galvanic_Arcvn

Matty2310

MrMario02 wrote:

@SpookyMeths: Okay, true but here's a list of white male protagonists in games:
EVERY CALL OF DUTY PROTAGONIST EVER (Call of Duty)
Whatshisname (Hatred)
Cole MacGrath (Infamous 1 and 2)
Delsin Rowe (Infamous: Second Son)
Joel (The Last of Us)
Nathan Drake (Uncharted)
Link (The Legend of Zelda)
ICO (ICO)
Little Mac (Punch-Out!!)
Wander (Shadow of the Colossus)
Eric (The Withcer III)
Shulk (Xenoblade Chronicles)
Red & Blue (Gunstar Heroes)
Red (Pokemon Red & Blue)
Marth (Fire Emblem)
Bomberman (Bomberman)
Bill and Lance (Contra)
Simon Belmont (Castlevania)
Solid Snake (Metal Gear Solid)
ALSO: While Wario is not technically american, his design is clearly meant as an american stereotype

All made and developed by Japanese and therefore non-white game developers. As the people above noted, the Japanese tend to do themselves whitish in games, hence why most of them are white. Also Bomberman, really? (Just pointing facts out, not looking to be dragged in the deep here, pretty please? )

Edited on by Matty2310

For those of you who don't know who I am, I'm Kirby95, I just changed my username.

3DS Friend Code: 1375-7224-8981

Wavey84

LOZ Phantom Hour Glass is better than 'Gamecube' Wind Waker.

Edited on by Wavey84

Wavey84

Socar

MSX needs more love. Lots of masterpieces are in MSX. Heck its where Konami, Hudson and Hal started off. I don't see as to why no one here appreciates the MSX as much as I do. Granted, I myself never gotten one but after playing La-Mulana, I cannot help but feel that nostalgic creative feel is in my heart.

my 3ds friend code is 1461-7634-1658

creativity is the insane possibility.

http://bittypix.blogspot.com

Nintendo Network ID: ArtwarkSwark | Twitter:

Ralizah

@Matty2310: Don't you watch anime? Unless they're careful to draw their characters with deliberately squinty eyes, many white people are usually going to interpret clearly Japanese characters as honorary white people.

Ralizah

Matty2310

@Ralizah Not really, aside from some of the popular shows aired on TV when I was young. I guess it was a weird way of saying it but I meant whar you just said. But still, going by what you said the fact that they do their characters like this explains why their game characters mainly tend to be white.

Edited on by Matty2310

For those of you who don't know who I am, I'm Kirby95, I just changed my username.

3DS Friend Code: 1375-7224-8981

Rumorlife

All the side pokemon games are really boring after GameCube

Rumorlife

Vee_Flames

Alright, I just have to say this. I now hate the word 'fanboy.' Don't get me wrong, I know those at the extreme end of the spectrum, but nowadays (and on this site, even), it seems people use the word to show some sort of superiority over someone else; "I called this guy a fanboy. Therefore I should be smarter and better than him (even if I don't know who he is in real life)."
Why can't we just play whatever we want to play instead of throwing names around?

Come visit Life Church!
My Switch FC: SW824410196326
Expressing my hopes for Professor Layton in Smash. Prayers abound.

3DS Friend Code: 1134-8006-9637 | Nintendo Network ID: VolcanoFlames

Socar

@VeeFlamesNL: Funny you said that. Eariler in the post, when I asked what kind of games that I should try out, I got mocked for only getting Nintendo games and nothing else.

Having said that, The video game industry is doomed if Nintendo ever goes bankrupt.

my 3ds friend code is 1461-7634-1658

creativity is the insane possibility.

http://bittypix.blogspot.com

Nintendo Network ID: ArtwarkSwark | Twitter:

DefHalan

@VeeFlamesNL: That is kinda how I feel about Casual and Hardcore now. I play mobile games and have fun. I play console games and have fun. I play whatever and have fun. Casual and Hardcore don't mean anything to me.

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic