Forums

Topic: Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Posts 3,001 to 3,020 of 12,088

brandonbwii

WaveBoy wrote:

Resident Evil 2 is depressing, there I said it.

Actually, in this day and age having to play any(as in 95%) of PS1 games is depressing, and this is coming from somebody who was a diehard PS1 fanatic during it's run.....I just played several at a friends house earlier yesterday and I couldn't believe how bad the visuals were. Pixelated Jagged interlaced lifeless looking junk it tis'.....Where as something like Mario 64 doesn't have these issues at all. Honestly, M64 still holds up visually, it's smooth, the polygon models have more sculpt, depth and roundness to them, there's no crazy jaggedness and pixilation going on either. I remember it being mind blowing during it's day, MUCH more compared to any 3D PS1 platformer.... Instead, I guess one could say that there ARE blurry textures here and there and even worse frame rates that trickle into the 15fps category which is totally unacceptable. The PS1 was guilty of this, but far less frequently.

Recap. Played a bit of Final Fantasy 8, Crash Bandicoot(never really liked the series to being with), Tekken 2, Twisted Metal 2, Ridge Racer, Rayman, Resident Evil 1 & 2....the ONLY game that remains timeless is rayman...go figure, we're dealing with a sprite based title that runs in 60fps.

It's like....Compare Jet Modo(PS1) to Wave Race 64...The latter wins in every single category. Honestly, the PS1's only real streangth is it's CD Audio, that's where it has the N64 beat, not to mention the abundance of CG cutscnes, although they look a little compressed, dithery and fuzzy than I remember them being.

Visually(including frame rate)....NES, SNES, genesis(depending) and Turbo Grafx-16 games have all aged like a fine wine, the same cannot be said for the PS1 and sega Saturn. Hell, Diddy kong Racing 64 also looks like a disaster 'in motion'.....15fps, eek!

I agree for the most part, but if you take the sequels. Crash Bandicoot 2, CTR, and FFIX then it has aged quite well. The only real aspect of Mario 64 that hasn't aged well are the occasional vague objectives. Other than that it's like fine wine. Hate to sound like a fanboy but it's mostly just the Nintendo games that have aged whether gracefully and even Rare games aren't as good as people remember them.

I remember when Nintendo first released Mario 64 and Zelda 64. My younger self was so excited that I was hoping all games would go 3D at that point. Then I paid attention to what most other companies were doing...

Facebook: bbworks club
Twitter: @bbworks_club
Instagram: bbworks club

Nintendo Network ID: BigBadBrowne

Whydoievenbother

@brandonbwii: Agreed. I mean, try to think of 5 video game protagonists that aren't white males.

Edited on by Whydoievenbother

"I'll take a potato chip... AND EAT IT!"
Light Yagami, Death Note
"Ah, the Breakfast Club soundtrack! I can't wait 'til I'm old enough to feel ways about stuff!"
Phillip J. Fry, Futurama

CaviarMeths

MrMario02 wrote:

brandonbwii: Agreed. I mean, try to think of 5 video game protagonists that aren't white males.

Upcoming AAA releases only:

• Evie Frye (Assassin's Creed: Syndicate)
  • Lara Croft (Rise of the Tomb Raider)
  • Faith Connors (Mirror's Edge: Catalyst)
  • Aloy (Horizon: Zero Dawn)
  • Rico Rodriguez (Just Cause 3)

Edited on by CaviarMeths

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

Whydoievenbother

@SpookyMeths: Okay, true but here's a list of white male protagonists in games:
EVERY CALL OF DUTY PROTAGONIST EVER (Call of Duty)
Whatshisname (Hatred)
Cole MacGrath (Infamous 1 and 2)
Delsin Rowe (Infamous: Second Son)
Joel (The Last of Us)
Nathan Drake (Uncharted)
Link (The Legend of Zelda)
ICO (ICO)
Little Mac (Punch-Out!!)
Wander (Shadow of the Colossus)
Eric (The Withcer III)
Shulk (Xenoblade Chronicles)
Red & Blue (Gunstar Heroes)
Red (Pokemon Red & Blue)
Marth (Fire Emblem)
Bomberman (Bomberman)
Bill and Lance (Contra)
Simon Belmont (Castlevania)
Solid Snake (Metal Gear Solid)
ALSO: While Wario is not technically american, his design is clearly meant as an american stereotype

Light Yagami, Death Note
"Ah, the Breakfast Club soundtrack! I can't wait 'til I'm old enough to feel ways about stuff!"
Phillip J. Fry, Futurama

HankLangley

Anyone heard of Cubivre

real Italian meatballs are made by real Italian meatball men.

Used to be Doge

3DS Friend Code: 3394-3778-3936 | Nintendo Network ID: Gansano

Whydoievenbother

@Doge: Is that game good? I've heard of it, but never tried it.

Light Yagami, Death Note
Phillip J. Fry, Futurama

shaneoh

MrMario02 wrote:

@SpookyMeths: Okay, true but here's a list of white male protagonists in recent games:
Axel (Streets of Rage)

I didn't realise Streets of Rage was a recent game, hell, half your list is composed of games at least 10 years old. You're also neglecting to mention Adam (Black guy) and Blaze (woman) who are playable characters in the first game.

The Greatest love story ever, Rosie Love (part 33 done)
The collective noun for a group of lunatics is a forum. A forum of lunatics.
I'm belligerent, you were warned.

Whydoievenbother

@shaneoh: oops. But you get the point. There are way too may white guy leads in games

Light Yagami, Death Note
Phillip J. Fry, Futurama

RR529

Also, both the Kanto & Johto regions in Pokémon are based on regions in Japan, so it's more likely that Red (and the protagonist of Gold/Silver) could easily be Asian.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

GuardianKing

RR529 wrote:

Also, both the Kanto & Johto regions in Pokémon are based on regions in Japan, so it's more likely that Red (and the protagonist of Gold/Silver) could easily be Asian.

This. People often forget that except in rare exceptions where there is a clear distinction between white and Asian (see something like Gosick), Japanese people will often draw Asians as white people-ish.

My Neopet.
NL RPG Season 2
DA Profile

3DS Friend Code: 5258-0260-8594 | Nintendo Network ID: GuardianKing | Twitter:

AceDefective

I'm glad people are for diversity and all, but I feel like too many people nowadays make blanket statements about how there isn't enough of X types of characters without ever really actually looking for games with those type of characters first.
The only complaint I'd really side with about under-representation would be LGBT characters, but I'm sure once more of the LGBT community or more people with actual interest for creating these types of characters gets involved I'm sure it'll fix itself.

Just some random loser who loves a variety of things.
Youtube Channel | Deviant ART | YoYo Games account |

3DS Friend Code: 2079-6493-1326 | Nintendo Network ID: ZeroZX_Dev | Twitter:

Whydoievenbother

@ZeroZX-Dev: Agreed. But the lack of LGBT characters is partly because there are the supposed "enemy" of this generation (similar to the way that the Russians and the Japanese were, as a people, considered evil in the 80's and 90's).

Light Yagami, Death Note
Phillip J. Fry, Futurama

CaviarMeths

MrMario02 wrote:

But the lack of LGBT characters is partly because there are the supposed "enemy" of this generation

???

??

?????????

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

shaneoh

MrMario02 wrote:

@ZeroZX-Dev: Agreed. But the lack of LGBT characters is partly because there are the supposed "enemy" of this generation (similar to the way that the Russians and the Japanese were, as a people, considered evil in the 80's and 90's).

I thought it was the middle easterners

The Greatest love story ever, Rosie Love (part 33 done)
The collective noun for a group of lunatics is a forum. A forum of lunatics.
I'm belligerent, you were warned.

RR529

MrMario02 wrote:

This is completely asanine.

As it's a hot button issue, there are a few loud groups in opposition, but overall as a culture (especially in popular culture), in no way is the LBGT community presented as evil (under represented? sure, especially in games, but not evil).

Even the Japanese example is a bit of a stretch. It was during the 80's where Japanese electronics started to become really mainstream & accepted by the general populace, and it was later in the 90's when the big surge in anime popularity began to hit the U.S.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Galvanic_Arcvn

I think Ridley was a dumb idea for a smash bros character from the start and someone like Rundas from MP:3 Corruption would fit the role of a fighter much better.

Galvanic_Arcvn

Matty2310

MrMario02 wrote:

@SpookyMeths: Okay, true but here's a list of white male protagonists in games:
Whatshisname (Hatred)
Cole MacGrath (Infamous 1 and 2)
Delsin Rowe (Infamous: Second Son)
Joel (The Last of Us)
Nathan Drake (Uncharted)
Link (The Legend of Zelda)
ICO (ICO)
Little Mac (Punch-Out!!)
Wander (Shadow of the Colossus)
Eric (The Withcer III)
Shulk (Xenoblade Chronicles)
Red & Blue (Gunstar Heroes)
Red (Pokemon Red & Blue)
Marth (Fire Emblem)
Bomberman (Bomberman)
Bill and Lance (Contra)
Simon Belmont (Castlevania)
Solid Snake (Metal Gear Solid)
ALSO: While Wario is not technically american, his design is clearly meant as an american stereotype

All made and developed by Japanese and therefore non-white game developers. As the people above noted, the Japanese tend to do themselves whitish in games, hence why most of them are white. Also Bomberman, really? (Just pointing facts out, not looking to be dragged in the deep here, pretty please? )

Edited on by Matty2310

For those of you who don't know who I am, I'm Kirby95, I just changed my username.

3DS Friend Code: 1375-7224-8981

Socar

MSX needs more love. Lots of masterpieces are in MSX. Heck its where Konami, Hudson and Hal started off. I don't see as to why no one here appreciates the MSX as much as I do. Granted, I myself never gotten one but after playing La-Mulana, I cannot help but feel that nostalgic creative feel is in my heart.

After so long...I'm back. Don't ask why

Nintendo Network ID: ArtwarkSwark | Twitter:

Ralizah

@Matty2310: Don't you watch anime? Unless they're careful to draw their characters with deliberately squinty eyes, many white people are usually going to interpret clearly Japanese characters as honorary white people.

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic