Forums

Topic: Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Posts 301 to 320 of 12,088

Magikarp3

I actually think the Final Fantasy games have gotten progressively better with each installment. This is probably because I hadn't tried them when XII was released and started playing them up to now, and I feel like the older ones haven't aged quite as well.

http://backloggery.com/oiiopo

always thought I'd change to Gyarados after I turned 20 but hey, this is more fitting I guess. (also somebody registered under the original Magikarp name and I can't get back to it anymore orz)

3DS Friend Code: 3952-7233-0245

CanisWolfred

Jollykarp wrote:

I actually think the Final Fantasy games have gotten progressively better with each installment. This is probably because I hadn't tried them when XII was released and started playing them up to now, and I feel like the older ones haven't aged quite as well.

I feel like they all have their good and bad qualities:

1 - Greatest sense of adventure despite general lack of story and some broken machanics in the early version
2 - Developed some innovative machanics that influence games even to this day despite the early versions being easily breakable.
3 - Best of both worlds of the previous two games with a new class system that arguably worked better than the one in FF5, despite FF5 doing nearly everything better
4 - Most focused story despite sacrificing complex gameplay mechanics and exploration
5 - Best class system despite scaling back the story and requiring an immense amount of grinding
6 - Large cast of cast of characters and variety of mechanics despite the innummerable bugs, exploits, and broken mechanics
7 - Most well-rounded despite being ugly as sin
9 - Best story and characters despite certain flaws with the weapon skill system
10 - Best ending and combat despite being too easy to really utilize said mechanics, the story dragging too much, and certain characters being generally unlikable
11 - impressive scale, story and mechanics, despite doling out the story too rarely, and retaining most of the problems associated with MMOs
12 - Largely succeed in bringing the impressive scale of FF11 to a singleplayer game despite some poor pacing, rediculous late-game dungeons, bland characters, and rough combat that takes too long to come into its own
13 - Best pacing and most focused story despite being too focused on story and forcing linear paths throughout much of the game with next to no exploration
13-2 - Fixed most of the gameplay-related issues and introducing tons of good ideas despite butchering the story

*I skipped 8 because I couldn't think of a good thing to say about it. Also only bothered to include 13-2 because I skipped 8.

All in all, none of them a perfect, but hardly any of them are terrible either. It's all about what you're looking for and what you're willing to tolerate.

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

SkywardLink98

CanisWolfred wrote:

SkywardLink98 wrote:

Guild Wars 2 is awesome...
...I'll show myself out now

I think you're in the wrong thread. This is for opinions that aren't already universally accepted as fact.

Universally? So far, you're the second out of a good amount of people that I've met that actually like the game (if you can't the people I talked to while playing the game, it's a better number but still outweighed by the people who hate it).

My SD Card with the game on it is just as physical as your cartridge with the game on it.
I love Nintendo, that's why I criticize them so harshly.

3DS Friend Code: 4296-3424-5332

Magikarp3

@CanisWolfred

That's pretty much how I feel about the series as well. The thing I like most is that each numbered title takes a different idea and runs with it, so they're not dragged down by a huge overarching set of plots and mechanics (like, ironically, what the Kingdom Hearts series has become). That being said, making Lightning as a "female Cloud" and overcapitalising on the money titles hurts the creative integrity of the franchise, even if it does make it more profitable. I don't really know what to feel anymore.

http://backloggery.com/oiiopo

always thought I'd change to Gyarados after I turned 20 but hey, this is more fitting I guess. (also somebody registered under the original Magikarp name and I can't get back to it anymore orz)

3DS Friend Code: 3952-7233-0245

CanisWolfred

That being said, making Lightning as a "female Cloud" and overcapitalising on the money titles hurts the creative integrity of the franchise, even if it does make it more profitable.

I don't really agree with that. 13-2 and Lighning Returns had enough new ideas that I almost wish they were used in a full numbered entry. Maybe story-wise its stilted, but even then, 13-2 managed to craft a great villian and gave at least one of the mains a decent character arc, neither of which I've been able to say about Final Fantasy since 7 and 9 (respectively).

In fact...outside of a few titles, I don't think FF has really been that great at storytelling. There's my unpopular opinion of the day. :/

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Maelstrom

Kingdom Heats has ironically become better than the series it started as a spinoff for

Fire Emblem Sacred Stones>>Awakening>>>>>>>>>>>>>Shadow Dragon

My video game arrangements (sheet music for piano)
Check in for new sheets every Monday. There's lots of Fire Emblem arrangements coming.

Nintendo Network ID: aginor

Nintenjoe64

Blue shells and cheating AI is half the fun of Mario Kart. People that try to claim otherwise are just stinking noobs!

I only posted this to get my avatar as the forum's thumbnail.

ZB42

Nintenjoe64 wrote:

Blue shells and cheating AI is half the fun of Mario Kart. People that try to claim otherwise are just stinking noobs!

Totally agree with this. I love that blue shell. It's the ability to totally upset a race that I love about that item. One of my favorite things to do is if I'm being targetted with a blue shell and the race is close, I will try to slow down and get as many racers as possible with the blue blast.

NNID: Z.Beeblebrox

GuSolarFlare

ZB42 wrote:

Nintenjoe64 wrote:

Totally agree with this. I love that blue shell. It's the ability to totally upset a race that I love about that item. One of my favorite things to do is if I'm being targetted with a blue shell and the race is close, I will try to slow down and get as many racers as possible with the blue blast.

it's even better on the games you can see the other racer's items so when someone has a Blue shell you can let them pass you just see all exploding and get the lead again! XD

Edited on by GuSolarFlare

goodbyes are a sad part of life but for every end there's a new beggining so one must never stop looking forward to the next dawn
now working at IBM as helpdesk analyst
my Backloggery

3DS Friend Code: 3995-7085-4333 | Nintendo Network ID: GustavoSF

LzWinky

Maelstrom wrote:

Kingdom Heats has ironically become better than the series it started as a spinoff for

I'll be happy to disagree once I play Sacred Stones. It's on my to-do list for soon

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

LzWinky

CanisWolfred wrote:

That being said, making Lightning as a "female Cloud" and overcapitalising on the money titles hurts the creative integrity of the franchise, even if it does make it more profitable.

I don't really agree with that. 13-2 and Lighning Returns had enough new ideas that I almost wish they were used in a full numbered entry. Maybe story-wise its stilted, but even then, 13-2 managed to craft a great villian and gave at least one of the mains a decent character arc, neither of which I've been able to say about Final Fantasy since 7 and 9 (respectively).

In fact...outside of a few titles, I don't think FF has really been that great at storytelling. There's my unpopular opinion of the day. :/

I also think that Square Enix wants to shove in overly complicated pointless plots and subplots in their games as much as possible.

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

GuSolarFlare

completing 100% is a chore almost all the time, I enjoy my games better when I don't try to do all that completionist stuff.
what brings me to another opinion, what made Mighty Switch Force bad is that most(?) levels are locked forcing you to get more par times...

goodbyes are a sad part of life but for every end there's a new beggining so one must never stop looking forward to the next dawn
my Backloggery

Dave24

Want unpopular opinions? Well, ok...

Rayman Legends is mediocre at best. Little better than Origins, but for 5-6 hrs it's not worth nearly the same price as Origins.
The Witcher 2 blows.
Hitman Absolution is a good game.
Demon's/Dark Souls is not hard, it's cheap.
Trevor is pointless, forced, hammy and annoying character just to add the "bad" one dimensional guy to the bunch of deep characters like Mike and Franklin. To me it's a character made "because we can" and more like afterthought, like they think of him after the torture scene and though to themselves "whops, both of these characters can't do it, because they have some character so we need another one just to do it". I mean, he's so inconsistent it's the only explanation for it.

Dave24

RR529

GuSilverFlame wrote:

completing 100% is a chore almost all the time, I enjoy my games better when I don't try to do all that completionist stuff.
what brings me to another opinion, what made Mighty Switch Force bad is that most(?) levels are locked forcing you to get more par times...

What are you talking about?

None of the levels require you to beat the "Par Time" to unlock them. All levels unlock when you complete the one before it, regardless of whether or not you hit the "Par Time".

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Maelstrom

Unca_Lz wrote:

Maelstrom wrote:

I'll be happy to disagree once I play Sacred Stones. It's on my to-do list for soon

I'd recommend it. The characters in Sacred Stones Seem more unique, both in character and stats.
And I really like the battle animations.

My video game arrangements (sheet music for piano)
Check in for new sheets every Monday. There's lots of Fire Emblem arrangements coming.

Nintendo Network ID: aginor

GuSolarFlare

RR529 wrote:

GuSilverFlame wrote:

None of the levels require you to beat the "Par Time" to unlock them. All levels unlock when you complete the one before it, regardless of whether or not you hit the "Par Time".

then why I can't acess all levels after beating the previous ones?
maybe I broke something
you're really worrying me, I think I did something way too wrong that messed my game up.....

my Backloggery

RR529

GuSilverFlame wrote:

RR529 wrote:

GuSilverFlame wrote:

then why I can't acess all levels after beating the previous ones?
maybe I broke something
you're really worrying me, I think I did something way too wrong that messed my game up.....

That's odd. I have all 21 levels unlocked, and have only beat the "Par Time" of the first 8 levels (and I didn't aim for beating the "Par Time" on most of those until after completing the game).

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

GuSolarFlare

TopLaytonsHat wrote:

Although I consider this very much on a game by game basis, I generally don't like it when people use the argument "If you don't like DLC, don't buy it" because it seems to avoid the principle of the matter.

I get what you mean, not buying DLC means not getting all content while getting the DLC means contributing to an unfavorable practice....
yeah it really is a matter of personal preference as everyone will see it in a different angle

my Backloggery

MuchoMochi

I think this has become a weekly thing for me to post here

• Assasin's Creed is a boring, boring series with a terrible storyline. I think the game would be much better without the Animus, Aliens, and other plot points that I find dull. The combat is repetitive but has improved with the addition of guns IMO.
  • The storyline in Call of Duty: Modern Warfare is actually pretty cool, and I think deserves more focus than the multiplayer, which I find dull and not worth the money I purchased the game for.
  • The Uncharted series gets way more credit than it deserves.
  • The original Xbox is an underrated system, and even though the PS2 sold better and had many great exclusive titles I think it's on par with that system. It also had so much more to offer than just Halo, which is a stupid argument against Microsoft, and I wish the Xbox One was more like the original Xbox and the first few years of the 360. Gamecube is still my favorite from that generation.
  • I think there is too much emphasis on innovation when judging new series or sequels of games, I don't think there necessarily has to be any change unless there was a mechanic in the game that was broken or didn't work correctly. Developers of the game should not be faulted as long as the storyline is fleshed out, and there is enough content to warrant a sequel and make it enjoyable.

Agree? Disagree?

Edited on by MuchoMochi

3DS Friend Code: 2895-6767-5334

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic