Forums

Topic: Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Posts 2,581 to 2,600 of 12,088

Socar

@CanisWolfred: Oh, then that makes sense and I agree really.

Speaking of which, I feel that people who have a great impact should be given some kind of award. Like Hiroshi Yamauchi and Satoru Iwata should be honored with a life time achievement award or something.

After so long...I'm back. Don't ask why

Nintendo Network ID: ArtwarkSwark | Twitter:

veeflames

@Jaz007: sigh... First off, it's not gre---
Forget it.
Well, I'd say one reason is the fact that Pokemon is a core Japanese game, where communication(especially local communication) between handheld gaming systems is a common staple. Trading and whatnot are made more like real life trading because of the differences between two versions of a Pokemon game.
It also has to do with preferences - I'd love to meet and catch Yveltal in my game rather than Xerneas. Of course, that doesn't mean I missing out on Xerneas; I could always go to the GTS and trade Pokemon. And Pokemon are readily available, if you ask me.
So... yeah, it's probably because of Japanese tradition. Nothing wrong with that, seeing as it's a formula that works both for the player and Nintendo.

God first.
My Switch FC: SW824410196326

3DS Friend Code: 1134-8006-9637 | Nintendo Network ID: VolcanoFlames

Sleepingmudkip

I think Harvest moon:A(another) wonderful life was the best harvest moon game to date and Mario sunshine is the best mario game to date

Playing: Wargroove on Switch and Fire Emblem on GBA

3DS Friend Code: 3136-7674-9891 | Nintendo Network ID: lionel1 | Twitter:

Jaz007

@VeeFlamesNL @DefHalan: Why not trade without it? There's no reason to not let someone catch 'em all by themselves if they want to. Trading would just make it easier. What about people who have no one to trade with as well? Also, why would preferences matter if both Pokemon were on one game. There's nothing about it that works well for the player. Requiring something outside of the game like that is a stupid idea. It's artificial and a bad idea. If you're a few years late is also creates a lot of problems for you.

Jaz007

DefHalan

@Jaz007: The reason is because Trading is a big mechanic in the eyes of the developer and becomes pointless if everyone can catch them all without any help. It is not a technical reason, it is a design and marketing reason. If you do not have someone to trade with then you can trade online. As a community builder trading has done a lot for Pokemon, and if it wasn't forced (to collect them all or at least certain ones) the community would not be as strong. Also providing different special Pokemon in each version of the game makes Players feel special and more connected to their game. It is a great feeling when you have Blue version and 5 other people have red, you become the needed player, you become the desired trade partner. The trade mechanic is less about the in-game mechanics but the out of game interaction.

You may not like it when certain things are a certain way, but it doesn't make them bad or evil. Sometimes it is just perceived as bad or evil.

Edited on by DefHalan

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

Haruki_NLI

I don't like Steam. Just don't see the appeal. Yeah its cheap but...

Start-up cost for a gaming PC? Pretty high. Plus the issues with the millions of combinations for components.

You buy a console every 5-6 years. £500 at most. That consoles plays games the same way it plays games very everyone else on that console. There you go. You buy a PC, have to change out parts semi-frequently. But there is no guarantee the game will run for you. It might be too much for you. That or the ports just break.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

DefHalan

BLPs wrote:

Start-up cost for a gaming PC? Pretty high. Plus the issues with the millions of combinations for components.

You buy a console every 5-6 years. £500 at most. That consoles plays games the same way it plays games very everyone else on that console. There you go. You buy a PC, have to change out parts semi-frequently. But there is no guarantee the game will run for you. It might be too much for you. That or the ports just break.

Steam is only a marketplace. I think your problems is with PC Gaming, not Steam.

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

Tubalcain

@BLPs: you dont really need to swap parts semi frequently, unless you have an ancient CPU and motherboard then all you really need to change is the GPU and add ram if needed, i still got my i5-661 bought in 2009 and injust recently change my GPU which cost me $120. Take in mind, my last GPU, a GTX 580 didnt really need immmiediate changing since i could still run current games on high with 30-50 fps. Thats a $120 upgrade cost for 5 years

Tubalcain

Haruki_NLI

@Tubalcain: @DefHalan:

I should also add, I get told I shouldn't be a game dev student because I don't use Steam and acknowledge that it's the best thing ever and the games I play are factually bad since they aren't on the marketplace.

Apart from that, Steam exists but it's not for me. I don't see the reason to be super invested. If I want to do work or make games, I use my computer. If I want to play games I use a console or handheld.

It's a bit like the consoles these days. Yeah I can watch TV on it...or I can use this Sky box I already have.

Tubalcain

@BLPs: dont listen to them. i wont judge whos right or wrong since i dont really know you. But more power if thats your passion. I would just like to ask what you dont like about steam? Because if its steam that you have a problem with then there are other market places on the PC such as GOG or you can sell it on your own.

Edited on by Tubalcain

Tubalcain

iKhan

BLPs wrote:

You don't need a gaming PC to use Steam. There are plenty of games on Steam that are compatible with the layman's laptop or desktop. I don't consider myself a PC gamer, but I have a few games on Steam including KOTOR and Rollercoaster Tycoon 3. I got a good deal on the former, and IMO, Business Sims are most at home on PC/Mac.

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

Whydoievenbother

CanisWolfred wrote:

MrMario02 wrote:

@CanisWolfred:
1. Just type "Define Video Game" into google
2. Your definition said "a physical or mental activity or contest that has rules and that people do for pleasure" It's a mental activity with rules (The code) that people do for entertainment.

It's not just rules. It's obstacles. What game has no way to lose? And you CAN lose in Kirby's Epic Yarn. You're scored constantly, and there are penalties for not doing well. You can't lose in Stanley's Parable, or Gone Home. The only barrier is your ability to find the blatant answers set before you. It's a book. It's a damn interactive book where you press buttons to turn pages. That is not in any way a "game."

Not true. There are no penalties in kirby's epic yarn, only rewards. And what i typed was literally what it said on the site.

Edited on by Eel

"I'll take a potato chip... AND EAT IT!"
Light Yagami, Death Note
"Ah, the Breakfast Club soundtrack! I can't wait 'til I'm old enough to feel ways about stuff!"
Phillip J. Fry, Futurama

Arminillo

I would say that Stanley's Parable and Gone Home are interactive stories.

3DS name: Arminillo
3DS FC: 1118-0310-8459

"The Rich Boy wakes Up, But is Handsome."
-DeviousSnorlax

Nintendo Network ID: Arminillo

OptometristLime

MrMario02 wrote:

CanisWolfred wrote:

MrMario02 wrote:

@CanisWolfred:
1. Just type "Define Video Game" into google
2. Your definition said "a physical or mental activity or contest that has rules and that people do for pleasure" It's a mental activity with rules (The code) that people do for entertainment.

It's not just rules. It's obstacles. What game has no way to lose? And you CAN lose in Kirby's Epic Yarn. You're scored constantly, and there are penalties for not doing well. You can't lose in Stanley's Parable, or Gone Home. The only barrier is your ability to find the blatant answers set before you. It's a book. It's a damn interactive book where you press buttons to turn pages. That is not in any way a "game."

Not true. There are no penalties in kirby's epic yarn, only rewards. And what i typed was literally what it said on the site.

Let's not argue over definitions, it's far too trivial and everything is subject to interpretation.

Tell me how you feel rewarded in Kirby when an enemy swipes your jewels, or you fall into lava, or even fail the last roulette and come away short of a medal? In a race the runners start out as equals before the audience, and they all progress from start to finish advancing their cause. But only one can win and down through the medalists is an increasing degree of "failure"; if Kirby walks from start to finish you might feel satisfied, but most people set out to accomplish more.

Edited on by OptometristLime

You are what you eat from your head to your feet.

Haruki_NLI

Here's a good one I heard the other day.

"The Atari Jaguar is a better system than the Wii U".

Jaz007

Now that it's been fixed, Assassin's Creed: Unity is a fantastic game. The combat revamp is much better than the kill-streak system and it's definitally the best AC game.

Jaz007

kkslider5552000

BLPs wrote:

Here's a good one I heard the other day.

"The Atari Jaguar is a better system than the Wii U".

lame trolling aren't opinions though

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Haruki_NLI

@kkslider5552000:

This is from people who think my opinions don't count because I own a Wii U and don't use Steam. You'll be amazed at the human race.

Peek-a-boo

@DiscoGentleman: I have no problems with 'jump scares' in general, but if they use a ridiculously over the top loud sound effect that appears out of nowhere to make the viewers jump, I find that to be a really weedy way of cheapening out what should be considered to be a proper jump scare.

We react more to unexpected noises more so than something visual. Less is more, I say.

Peek-a-boo

CaviarMeths

Telegraphed jump scares are the worst and the most common in PG-13 horror movies. When I'm watching them at home, I know exactly when to turn the volume on my headset down to avoid ear-shattering loud noises when a "surprise" comes up.

Sparingly used, they're OK as tension relief. But when they're relied on, it's the calling card of a bad or lazy storyteller.

Edited on by CaviarMeths

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic