Forums

Topic: Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Posts 2,561 to 2,580 of 12,088

Tubalcain

@Artwark: well in Witcher 3, in some of the quests, you hunt for clues, you follow tracks, you talk to witnesses. some of the quests are mystery based.

Tubalcain

DefHalan

KO-Cub wrote:

DefHalan wrote:

iKhan wrote:

People care about the wrong things in Pokemon games. I NEVER hear discussions about the quality of the world design, dungeon design, collectibles, etc.

Instead, people love to talk about the story, characters, collection of Pokemon, and progression of combat.

I agree collection is a key element of the game. While I can understand combat as a major part (though IMO it's really too easy to have a discussion about relative to single player), Pokemon is a franchise that does not and should not have a substantial story or characters. It's all about your personal adventure, creating a team and taking down the bad guy on your own. Having companions come along, and Gym Leaders yapping about every city completely obstructs this sense of personal adventure.

It feels like most Pokemon fans today just see the single player as a mandatory story mode that allows them to "get to the good stuff", and as such, the actual gameplay outside of the combat doesn't mean anything. This is why people LOVED reusable TMs, when, in reality, they completely rob the single player experience of a sense of resource management.

I agree with so much of that.

I'm sorry, I fail to see and understand. Characters and story has to a big part. If every gym leader was bland and didn't have a nature to them, then that would kill the Pokemon 'anime' and it would feel like battling any other trainer in a game. It would give less means for people to prepare and tackle a gym. Now the entire point of TM's being infinite was because people would never use or accidentally waste their only TM which they could never get again because of a mistake. It was a means for making newcomers feel free to do whatever they want and experiment.

Everything has its place: Story, Characters, Batting, Collecting, Caves, etc. The "Unpopular Gaming Opinion" was about how people focus so much on the Pokemon series needing to improve its Story and Characters, and rarely on other aspects of the games. We should talk about all parts of the games and not just Narrative.

At least that is what I took away from the post.

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

Socar

@Tubalcain: Same thing can be said about Zelda. Most of the quests have clues that are required to solve them.

After so long...I'm back. Don't ask why

Nintendo Network ID: ArtwarkSwark | Twitter:

Tubalcain

@Artwark: not like that, i mean in the game you literally investigate things. who is the murderer, where did the beast run off to, things like that. in many quest you have to look for tracks, signs of fighting, blood etc. its not about merely clues to solve a quest, its the ILLUSION that your investigating a murder, or an event.

just to add, the side quests of the Witcher kinda ruins every other RPG. almost every quest have substantial dialogue and there's no generic fetch quest such as go here kill x number of x monsters or collect x flowers. Mark my word, every RPG that will be released in the near future will be compared by reviewers to the side quests of Witcher 3.

Edited on by Tubalcain

Tubalcain

Socar

OneBagTravel wrote:

My unpopular gaming opinion is that 2D is superior to 3D in almost every genre of game.

That depends really. Running games smoothly on the PC requires a powerful RAM so in that case, 2D wins.

However...3D wins through the exploring factor and there are games that make you search everywhere to get items Like Galaxy 2 where getting green stars requires a lot of searching.

After so long...I'm back. Don't ask why

Nintendo Network ID: ArtwarkSwark | Twitter:

iKhan

KO-Cub wrote:

DefHalan wrote:

iKhan wrote:

People care about the wrong things in Pokemon games. I NEVER hear discussions about the quality of the world design, dungeon design, collectibles, etc.

Instead, people love to talk about the story, characters, collection of Pokemon, and progression of combat.

I agree collection is a key element of the game. While I can understand combat as a major part (though IMO it's really too easy to have a discussion about relative to single player), Pokemon is a franchise that does not and should not have a substantial story or characters. It's all about your personal adventure, creating a team and taking down the bad guy on your own. Having companions come along, and Gym Leaders yapping about every city completely obstructs this sense of personal adventure.

It feels like most Pokemon fans today just see the single player as a mandatory story mode that allows them to "get to the good stuff", and as such, the actual gameplay outside of the combat doesn't mean anything. This is why people LOVED reusable TMs, when, in reality, they completely rob the single player experience of a sense of resource management.

I agree with so much of that.

I'm sorry, I fail to see and understand. Characters and story has to a big part. If every gym leader was bland and didn't have a nature to them, then that would kill the Pokemon 'anime' and it would feel like battling any other trainer in a game. It would give less means for people to prepare and tackle a gym. Now the entire point of TM's being infinite was because people would never use or accidentally waste their only TM which they could never get again because of a mistake. It was a means for making newcomers feel free to do whatever they want and experiment.

The anime is a separate entity. Also, Gym Leaders feel can feel unique via other means. The fact that you have to tackle a whole gym with multiple trainers. The fact that they have higher leveled teams with fully evolved Pokemon. Things like that are pretty clear signals that it's a boss battle. There can be a little bit of build-up, with the character appearing a few times on your journey, but their characterization is still meaningless. The build-up should be focused on making the upcoming fight seem like a big challenge.

I don't remember a single gym leader personality from the games. I know most of them from the first two gens because I watched the Anime, but that had little to do with my gameplay experience. I don't even remember the names of most gym leaders in B/W or X/Y.

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

jump

I don't remember most of the gym leaders as theres so bloody many of them, there are a few that stick out to me like Drayden with his epic beard, Misty making out with her boyfriend, Elesa's super model thing, Whittany and that blasted Miltank etc.

Edited on by jump

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

LzWinky

OneBagTravel wrote:

My unpopular gaming opinion is that 2D is superior to 3D in almost every genre of game.

I think 3D Zelda > 2D Zelda

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

DBPirate

Galaxy < Galaxy 2

Currently playing: Bayonetta 2

My Nintendo: DillPickle | Nintendo Network ID: Czechmate1129

-Green-

LztheQuack wrote:

OneBagTravel wrote:

I think 3D Zelda > 2D Zelda

I agree with the duck.

"Enthusiastic Hi" (awkward stare)
Nintendo Switch Code: SW-5081-0666-1429
PS4 Thing: TBA

veeflames

DBPirate wrote:

Galaxy < Galaxy 2

Heh, pretty much this.

God first.
My Switch FC: SW824410196326

3DS Friend Code: 1134-8006-9637 | Nintendo Network ID: VolcanoFlames

kkslider5552000

ekreig wrote:

Let's see how popular this one is: the "facecam" LPers and streamers like adding to their videos nowadays? Awkward, distracting, and generally a big turnoff for me that adds nothing of worth to a video. My general distaste for reaction videos may have something to do with it.

I mostly agree despite liking reaction videos. Most facecam stuff is just awful and that shouldn't be a controversial opinion.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Nintendo_Ninja

Some series traditions shouldn't be messed with. Like 2 Pokemon versions of the same region.

Nintendo ID Network: Nintendo_Ninja
Mario Maker ID: LR5-VQV-THG

Jaz007

@Nintendo_Ninja: Why not get everything is both versions? Nintendo is just ripping people off at this point.

Jaz007

veeflames

^Except there isn't much of a difference between the two Pokemon games... besides, millions still buy the game. Not sure where Nintendo is 'ripping people off' with Pokemon games...

God first.
My Switch FC: SW824410196326

3DS Friend Code: 1134-8006-9637 | Nintendo Network ID: VolcanoFlames

-Green-

VeeFlamesNL wrote:

^Except there isn't much of a difference between the two Pokemon games... besides, millions still buy the game. Not sure where Nintendo is 'ripping people off' with Pokemon games...

Not to mention all pokemon from one game can easily be traded over to the other game, so you don't miss out on anything depending on the game you pick.

"Enthusiastic Hi" (awkward stare)
Nintendo Switch Code: SW-5081-0666-1429
PS4 Thing: TBA

Jaz007

@VeeFlamesNL: Can you give me a good reason for making two different versions these days outside of greed they can get away with? I did't say that the entire games were rip-offs, just the part where they have two games for no good reason. Anyone else trying that with a major series would get crucified for it.

Edited on by Jaz007

Jaz007

CanisWolfred

MrMario02 wrote:

@CanisWolfred:
1. Just type "Define Video Game" into google
2. Your definition said "a physical or mental activity or contest that has rules and that people do for pleasure" It's a mental activity with rules (The code) that people do for entertainment.

It's not just rules. It's obstacles. What game has no way to lose? And you CAN lose in Kirby's Epic Yarn. You're scored constantly, and there are penalties for not doing well. You can't lose in Stanley's Parable, or Gone Home. The only barrier is your ability to find the blatant answers set before you. It's a book. It's a goddamn interactive book where you press buttons to turn pages. That is not in any way a "game."

Artwark wrote:

@CanisWolfred: So you're saying that Miyamoto's creativity isn't good enough to sell huge compared to Sakurai?

I'm saying Sakurai deserves his praise. You seem to think only one person in this conversation is worthy of praise. I won't debate who is better, that's a pointless and shallow argument. But I'll be damned if someone minimizes one of the greatest minds in gaming just because there's still some above him.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

DefHalan

Jaz007 wrote:

Can you give me a good reason for making two different versions these days outside of greed they can get away with?

It is to encourage trading. If 1 game could catch all the Pokemon then there would be no need for trading.

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic