Forums

Topic: Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Posts 2,541 to 2,560 of 12,088

CanisWolfred

It's the same kind of debate that Visual Novels have sparked for years. They're more than novels, yet you don't go in it for the gameplay. I'm of the opinion that media should be classed based on what you're expected to enjoy ("WHY you should be playing/watching/partaking in this"), and in this case, the vast majority of your experience will be engaging with the story. Can you really call it a game in that context? I know I wouldn't, since the term "game" usually means competing within a set of rules, but that's rarely the case in these type of games. The objectives are about as complex as turning a page. I really do think a new term is in order to describe these new experiences, because they are different from what people expect a game to be. Simply making the term "game" more broad would simply trivialize the word.

@Artwark: If I had games as great as Meteos, Smash Bros., and Uprising on my resume, I'd be pretty damn proud of myself, I must say. Not to downplay Miyamoto, but Sakurai's games have almost singlehandedly sold or even saved systems. That's nothing to sneeze at, man...

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Whydoievenbother

Geonjaha wrote:

@Ralizah: It's not that they provide no challenge, it's that there is usually no interactivity with the worlds besides walking around, in some cases along a linear path. You can make a game with plenty of interactivity and minimal or no real challenge. The reason people don't call them games is because they're so drastically different to most that exist, and don't appease a large majority of people who play games in the first place. People get insulted by calling the genre 'Walking Simulators' despite it being pretty damn accurate for a lot of them. As with other games though, the problems mostly come down to people getting upset over other people's opinions of games they like.

So you're saying that they don't count as games because they are a bit different? the definition of game is:
a game played by electronically manipulating images produced by a computer program on a television screen or other display screen. In other words, if it's digital, interactive, and intended as entertainment, it's a video game. And so-called "walking simulators" meet that criteria.

"I'll take a potato chip... AND EAT IT!"
Light Yagami, Death Note
"Ah, the Breakfast Club soundtrack! I can't wait 'til I'm old enough to feel ways about stuff!"
Phillip J. Fry, Futurama

Whydoievenbother

@CanisWolfred: But giving it a definition would limit this medium. EDIT: I meant like, Has a set beginning middle and end, Has a losing condition etc.

Edited on by Whydoievenbother

Light Yagami, Death Note
"Ah, the Breakfast Club soundtrack! I can't wait 'til I'm old enough to feel ways about stuff!"
Phillip J. Fry, Futurama

jump

Ah, the inclusion of definitions and dictionary entries into an arguement, that's always a bad sign.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

CanisWolfred

MrMario02 wrote:

@CanisWolfred: But giving it a definition would limit this medium.

It really wouldn't, it'd just change the classication so people know what to expect. That's all these terms are for. You're not limited by words, you're limited by your audience, and your audience goes into your "non-game" expecting a game, it's going to color their experience in a negative light. But if you gave it some other classication, one that's more representive of what they should expect, your audience is more likely to be attracted to your product. It's simple, really. Do you go into Point & Click adventure games expecting an FPS? If you wanted an FPS, wouldn't you look for games that describe themselves as such? It's the same case here.

So far we've got "walking simulators" and "interactive experiences" as alternatives to "non-games," too, so at the very least, I'll agree that using the term "non-games" is not necessary, but only because I think there are much more descriptive terms that can be used.

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Whydoievenbother

@CanisWolfred: I meant giving "Video Game" a strict "Has a beginning Middle and End" "Has a failure state" definition

Light Yagami, Death Note
Phillip J. Fry, Futurama

DefHalan

iKhan wrote:

People care about the wrong things in Pokemon games. I NEVER hear discussions about the quality of the world design, dungeon design, collectibles, etc.

Instead, people love to talk about the story, characters, collection of Pokemon, and progression of combat.

I agree collection is a key element of the game. While I can understand combat as a major part (though IMO it's really too easy to have a discussion about relative to single player), Pokemon is a franchise that does not and should not have a substantial story or characters. It's all about your personal adventure, creating a team and taking down the bad guy on your own. Having companions come along, and Gym Leaders yapping about every city completely obstructs this sense of personal adventure.

It feels like most Pokemon fans today just see the single player as a mandatory story mode that allows them to "get to the good stuff", and as such, the actual gameplay outside of the combat doesn't mean anything. This is why people LOVED reusable TMs, when, in reality, they completely rob the single player experience of a sense of resource management.

I agree with so much of that.

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

CanisWolfred

MrMario02 wrote:

@CanisWolfred: https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=... Here. Also, even with the definition you showed me, so called "Walking Simulators" would still fit the bill.

Your link didn't work. Also, no, a walking simulator does not fit that definition. There's no skill, strategy, or competition at all in those games. It's more than just a "win or lose" thing, it's about how you win and what it signifies. In most singleplayer games, you're competing against the computer (or rather, the developer and the challenges they've placed). You have a goal, and you have obstacles to that goal that you must overcome in some fashion.

Most "non-games" generally lack an obstacles, and that's where the difference lies. If you take out the challenge, what's left?

Of course, not everyone needs something to overcome if they want to enjoy something. And I think it would be helpful to those people to have a better term.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

DefHalan

Why do we have to classify what is and isn't a video game? It does nothing to advance the industry. Trying to define things as a game or not is just trying de-value a game. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blj91KLOvZQ

Whydoievenbother

@CanisWolfred:
1. Just type "Define Video Game" into google
2. Your definition said "a physical or mental activity or contest that has rules and that people do for pleasure" It's a mental activity with rules (The code) that people do for entertainment.

Light Yagami, Death Note
Phillip J. Fry, Futurama

Whydoievenbother

@DefHalan: Exactly. I'm trying to say that video games being digital and interactive is enough.
Also, you watch extra credits too?

Light Yagami, Death Note
Phillip J. Fry, Futurama

Jaz007

Not liking "walking simulators" is fine, but they're still games. I believe the Sims had the same issue for not having an objective, but that's not a thing anymore (I may be wrong on this part though). Now I don't like the Sims, but it's for different reasons entirely. As for visual novels, They're games if you make choices in them. If it's a kinetic visual novel though, then it's not game. It's a novel with illustrations you read on the computer.

Jaz007

DefHalan

MrMario02 wrote:

@DefHalan: Exactly. I'm trying to say that video games being digital and interactive is enough.

Extra Credits is one of my favorite shows. I also like James Recommends but have been skipping their history stuff and their Dark Souls stuff. Have you watched those?

Whydoievenbother

DefHalan wrote:

MrMario02 wrote:

Extra Credits is one of my favorite shows. I also like James Recommends but have been skipping their history stuff and their Dark Souls stuff. Have you watched those?

Extra History has a tendency to be innacurate and I haven't watched the dark souls episodes. But Extra Credits itself is great.

Light Yagami, Death Note
Phillip J. Fry, Futurama

Socar

@GrizzlyArctos: And that quality will only stick to him and nothing else and when he dies, that quality isn't transferred to anyone else.

@CanisWolfred: So you're saying that Miyamoto's creativity isn't good enough to sell huge compared to Sakurai? Really 3D Land when it first arrived sold 5 million units compared to Uprising which sold around 1 million. Granted, he didn't do much in the game but the fact that he offered suggestions and encouraged the team to do things on their own just proves how he motivates others to lead which Sakurai seems to lack.

@DefHalan: Doubtful whether Extra Credits is great at all. They only cover the ones that they feel are worth covering yet somehow they make it sound like its a critical thing but its rather just their opinion. I mean, how is Witcher 3 the best detective game when it has nothing to do with solving crimes and I can tell because even though I haven't played the series, I can tell that the series is centered around the medieval period. If it was something like Phantasy Star maybe, then yes I would agree but its not.

Edited on by Socar

After so long...I'm back. Don't ask why

Nintendo Network ID: ArtwarkSwark | Twitter:

iKhan

Why bother defining anything anyway. It doesn't add anything. I do have an idea of what is and isn't a game, but debating it is completely meaningless.

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

KO-Cub

DefHalan wrote:

iKhan wrote:

People care about the wrong things in Pokemon games. I NEVER hear discussions about the quality of the world design, dungeon design, collectibles, etc.

Instead, people love to talk about the story, characters, collection of Pokemon, and progression of combat.

I agree collection is a key element of the game. While I can understand combat as a major part (though IMO it's really too easy to have a discussion about relative to single player), Pokemon is a franchise that does not and should not have a substantial story or characters. It's all about your personal adventure, creating a team and taking down the bad guy on your own. Having companions come along, and Gym Leaders yapping about every city completely obstructs this sense of personal adventure.

It feels like most Pokemon fans today just see the single player as a mandatory story mode that allows them to "get to the good stuff", and as such, the actual gameplay outside of the combat doesn't mean anything. This is why people LOVED reusable TMs, when, in reality, they completely rob the single player experience of a sense of resource management.

I agree with so much of that.

I'm sorry, I fail to see and understand. Characters and story has to a big part. If every gym leader was bland and didn't have a nature to them, then that would kill the Pokemon 'anime' and it would feel like battling any other trainer in a game. It would give less means for people to prepare and tackle a gym. Now the entire point of TM's being infinite was because people would never use or accidentally waste their only TM which they could never get again because of a mistake. It was a means for making newcomers feel free to do whatever they want and experiment.

Wavedashes behind you Got some of dat Maylay?
FE Heroes: 0964602082

3DS Friend Code: 5343-9126-6120 | Nintendo Network ID: KOCub

DefHalan

Artwark wrote:

Doubtful whether Extra Credits is great at all. They only cover the ones that they feel are worth covering yet somehow they make it sound like its a critical thing but its rather just their opinion. I mean, how is Witcher 3 the best detective game when it has nothing to do with solving crimes and I can tell because even though I haven't played the series, I can tell that the series is centered around the medieval period. If it was something like Phantasy Star maybe, then yes I would agree but its not.

Extra Credits is an opinionated show, but everything about Design is opinionated. Breaking other's opinions on what makes a good game is how we see new innovative games. I think Extra Credits just does a good job at putting a spotlight on some issues and talking about things normally overlooked or taken for granted.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic