Forums

Topic: Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Posts 2,521 to 2,540 of 12,088

LzWinky

Yellowkoopa wrote:

Subspace Emissary was kinda fun with another player, but the Great Maze at the end made the mode drag on way too long. An adventure mode similar to Melee would have been nice in Smash 4 instead of the board game. Smash 4 3DS kinda had the right idea with Smash Run, but it didn't have customizable rules and online, so it wouldn't be a good substitute for an adventure mode if the mode had been on the Wii U version.

I wish Smash Run was much longer and more customizable and playable. The platforming was amazing, but the final fight was very eh...

Edited on by LzWinky

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

-Godot

@NightmareEater: Nobody really hates it. They just don't want to rank it at the same level as the original, as the original was groundbreaking, and this was all rehashed. It's clearly just as high quality of a game, and the sequel having more worlds.

Currently bored (while change when I stop being bored)

veeflames

Yes, a rehash is a rehash, but I don't understand why people seem to dislike NSMBU because it's a 'rehash.' The game is an excellent platforming game for the Wii U; in fact, it almost seems like it's new with some of the stages beautiful art styles(not to mention the game looks brilliant in HD) and the world map. You also have those Challenge Mode missions... some of which are downright impossible.
That game is simply one of the best 2D Mario games ever made. I think it's just behind the original NSMB in terms of originality.

God first.
My Switch FC: SW824410196326

3DS Friend Code: 1134-8006-9637 | Nintendo Network ID: VolcanoFlames

-Green-

VeeFlamesNL wrote:

Yes, a rehash is a rehash, but I don't understand why people seem to dislike NSMBU because it's a 'rehash.' The game is an excellent platforming game for the Wii U; in fact, it almost seems like it's new with some of the stages beautiful art styles(not to mention the game looks brilliant in HD) and the world map. You also have those Challenge Mode missions... some of which are downright impossible.
That game is simply one of the best 2D Mario games ever made. I think it's just behind the original NSMB in terms of originality.

I think the main reason is because people find it doesn't bring enough "innovation" and is far to "safe" of a sequel.

Edited on by -Green-

"Enthusiastic Hi" (awkward stare)
Nintendo Switch Code: SW-5081-0666-1429
PS4 Thing: TBA

LzWinky

NSMB is trash
NSMBW is good
NSMB2 is lazy and crappy
NSMBU is the best one by a long shot

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

iKhan

People care about the wrong things in Pokemon games. I NEVER hear discussions about the quality of the world design, dungeon design, collectibles, etc.

Instead, people love to talk about the story, characters, collection of Pokemon, and progression of combat.

I agree collection is a key element of the game. While I can understand combat as a major part (though IMO it's really too easy to have a discussion about relative to single player), Pokemon is a franchise that does not and should not have a substantial story or characters. It's all about your personal adventure, creating a team and taking down the bad guy on your own. Having companions come along, and Gym Leaders yapping about every city completely obstructs this sense of personal adventure.

It feels like most Pokemon fans today just see the single player as a mandatory story mode that allows them to "get to the good stuff", and as such, the actual gameplay outside of the combat doesn't mean anything. This is why people LOVED reusable TMs, when, in reality, they completely rob the single player experience of a sense of resource management.

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

Hendesu

LztheQuack wrote:

NSMB is good
NSMBW is terrible
NSMB2 is ok and crappy ripoff of NSMBW
NSLU is the best one by a long shot

Fixed.

Some random dude on Nintendo Life.
Toriel left for a while, so Freaky Fred took over her place!
Not changing this part of the signature until Nintendo announces Super Mario Sunshine 2.
[Started 10/31/15]

Nintendo Network ID: DarkSperow

shaneoh

I liked NSMB2, if the protagonist had been Wario there would have been less complaints. It is certainly better than the original NSMB

Edited on by shaneoh

The Greatest love story ever, Rosie Love (part 33 done)
The collective noun for a group of lunatics is a forum. A forum of lunatics.
I'm belligerent, you were warned.

Socar

I don't get the praise that Sakurai gets a LOT compared to Miyamoto. Yeah, he made Uprising and Kirby(My favorite series) But this guy unlike Miyamoto doesn't like making sequels. And Uprising is better off being on Wii U rather on 3DS as good as the game is.

And his creative process is a bit debatable. Why is it that he intentionally uses smashing as means of running instead of using a run button or something? This is even apparent even in Kirby not that it matters there since its control supports the D-pad but seriously...smashing?

After so long...I'm back. Don't ask why

Nintendo Network ID: ArtwarkSwark | Twitter:

jump

What a terrible person, he doesn't like making sequels and he made a game on the 3DS rather than the Wii U. Tbh he gets alot of credit because he's hands on making the games compared to Miyamoto who drops in and out of the development.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

AceDefective

I think not wanting to make sequels is better than 20 different sequels succession. Allows for fresher ideas and less restrictions created by the rules of one universe.
As matter of fact, why do people want more sequels? Especially in cases where it is obvious its supposed the end and sequel would be redundant (coughcoughMOTHER4coughcough) or create an artificial conflict for more shoehorned adventures.

Edited on by AceDefective

Just some random loser who loves a variety of things.
Youtube Channel | Deviant ART | YoYo Games account |

3DS Friend Code: 2079-6493-1326 | Nintendo Network ID: ZeroZX_Dev | Twitter:

Whydoievenbother

how about you stop deeming certain games "not games"?
the most common things stated as qualifiers for what is a game (from what I've read) are "Has a losing condition" and "Has a set beginning, middle and end"
Games without losing conditions that are still called games: Kirby's Epic Yarn, The Sims, Animal Crossing, Journey
Games without a set beginning, middle and end that are still called games: Minecraft, Tomodachi Life, Nintendogs

"I'll take a potato chip... AND EAT IT!"
Light Yagami, Death Note
"Ah, the Breakfast Club soundtrack! I can't wait 'til I'm old enough to feel ways about stuff!"
Phillip J. Fry, Futurama

iKhan

Artwark wrote:

And his creative process is a bit debatable. Why is it that he intentionally uses smashing as means of running instead of using a run button or something? This is even apparent even in Kirby not that it matters there since its control supports the D-pad but seriously...smashing?

IMO it's significantly better. I have a much easier time controlling Kirby than I do controlling Mario, because I don't have to jam my finger across two buttons simultaneously.

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

Geonjaha

MrMario02 wrote:

Because people who play games enjoy the fact that they're overcoming a challenge in some way or another, or at least interacting with it in a way that matters. To not call things games is not necessarily an insult unless you take it as such, its just a useful way to prevent people from getting the wrong idea of what a product is. The reason people simply refer to these things as 'non-games' is because they're relatively new, and there is no set term for them.

I have no interest in what I'll simply deem the 'Interactive Art Pieces' or 'Walking Simulators' that are Proteus, Dear Esther and Mountain, and I know plenty of other people don't either. Games are about the interactivity. Holding W is not great interactivity, and if simply referring to these programs as 'non-games' is what it takes to ensure people don't accidentally buy them expecting gameplay, then so be it. These programs are pretty awful by standards of what a game is, which is why so many people complain about them. Either people start accepting that they aren't really games or they continue to get shunned and ridiculed for being labelled incorrectly.

Edited on by Geonjaha

Geonjaha

3DS Friend Code: 2277-6645-7215

Ralizah

Geonjaha wrote:

MrMario02 wrote:

Because people who play games enjoy the fact that they're overcoming a challenge in some way or another, or at least interacting with it in a way that matters. To not call things games is not necessarily an insult unless you take it as such, its just a useful way to prevent people from getting the wrong idea of what a product is. The reason people simply refer to these things as 'non-games' is because they're relatively new, and there is no set term for them.

I have no interest in what I'll simply deem the 'Interactive Art Pieces' or 'Walking Simulators' that are Proteus, Dear Esther and Mountain, and I know plenty of other people don't either. Games are about the interactivity. Holding W is not great interactivity, and if simply referring to these programs as 'non-games' is what it takes to ensure people don't accidentally buy them expecting gameplay, then so be it. These programs are pretty awful by standards of what a game is, which is why so many people complain about them. Either people start accepting that they aren't really games or they continue to get shunned and ridiculed for being labelled incorrectly.

Dear Esther and Proteus are games, though. Just because they're not as interactive as what you would like doesn't mean they're not video games, it simply means they're not aligning themselves with the same challenge-based paradigm most games exist within.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Geonjaha

@Ralizah: It's not that they provide no challenge, it's that there is usually no interactivity with the worlds besides walking around, in some cases along a linear path. You can make a game with plenty of interactivity and minimal or no real challenge. The reason people don't call them games is because they're so drastically different to most that exist, and don't appease a large majority of people who play games in the first place. People get insulted by calling the genre 'Walking Simulators' despite it being pretty damn accurate for a lot of them. As with other games though, the problems mostly come down to people getting upset over other people's opinions of games they like.

Edited on by Geonjaha

Geonjaha

3DS Friend Code: 2277-6645-7215

Socar

@arronishere: yeah....the only games that he made are Meteos, Smash and Uprising whereas Miyamoto was involved like......a LOT?

Sakurai should have just let someone in charge of Kirby and at the same time did something in his own instead of just quitting Hal, forming a company of his own with little staff and exhaust himself to death to make quality games. Miyamoto let Eji Anouma in charge of Zelda and it turns out that we had better Zelda games that Miyamoto couldn't do.

After so long...I'm back. Don't ask why

Nintendo Network ID: ArtwarkSwark | Twitter:

GrizzlyArctos

Artwark wrote:

Sakurai should have just let someone in charge of Kirby and at the same time did something in his own instead of just quitting Hal, forming a company of his own with little staff and exhaust himself to death to make quality games.

You said it yourself, Sakurai tends to make games of a high standard. Why are you complaining about that? So what if he puts a lot of work into his games himself, that's how he prefers to create them. There's nothing wrong with that.

Yes, I like bears.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic