Forums

Topic: Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Posts 2,421 to 2,440 of 12,088

TylerTheCreator

Super Mario Sunshine is very underrated.

TylerTheCreator

3DS Friend Code: 1633-4674-8666 | Nintendo Network ID: Shock-T

CanisWolfred

I really don't think the whole "modern games are boring" thing has anything to do with reality. It's not hard to find games that are fun and have interesting mechanics, even within the AAA industry that people always focus on. I think the main problems are that gamers buy more games than they used to, so they expect more than is just the atmosphere and color pallet used by the AAA industry - they usually have either realistic visuals, a serious tone, or both. Not all, of course, but the main point is that the games that are advertised the hardest have a tendency to give off the same general feel, thus making them harder to distinguish in your mind. That is a problem, especially since it can mean that no matter how good the game is, it won't matter because the look and atmosphere prevents the game from standing out. When I see games like God of War and Gears of War, despite being completely different genres, they still occupy a similar place in my mind simply because they both have the same "dark, griity" tone and a similar "dark grey/brown to represent how dark the situation is" color pallet.

That tone especially irks me. It's not just a problem with gaming - most blockbuster Hollywood movies and story-oriented American television shows also have a problem where they focus too much on "dark and gritty themes", and forget that in order for a serious situation to have an effect on the viewer, you have to ground the experience, making it clear that things are changing throughout the story, having an effect on the characters themselves. This includes having more light-hearted situations to balance out the darker tone, or else the whole thing feels "monotone", so to speak.

I have more I could say, but I'm starting to rant. I'll just say that for me personally, I find a story much more impactful when I don't see the serious moments coming. That's why I remember Pokemon X's story more than I remember the story from The Last of Us, why I like Dante from Dvil May Cry 3 more than the Dante in DmC, and why I cried when Desche sacrificed himself in the Tower of Owen in Final Fantasy III, but didn't really care much about Tidus' death in FFX. When most of the game is dark and foreboding, it just becomes harder and harder to impress me with dark and foreboding story elements.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

NintendoFan64

TylerTheCreator wrote:

Super Mario Sunshine is very underrated.

Agreed.

There is nothing here...except for the stuff I just typed...

3DS Friend Code: 5284-1716-7555 | Nintendo Network ID: michaelmcepic

Shinion

@TylerTheCreator: I'd disagree with that. A large majority who have played the game absolutely love it, though I'd imagine you're referring to people who hate the game due to F.L.U.D.D and other reasons. I personally am on their side, it is my least favourite out of the 3D Mario games, though anyone who calls the game bad is being ridiculous. That's why I don't find it 'underrated' per se.

Shinion

TylerTheCreator

@TheLastLugia: I think I might like Super Mario Sunshine more than Super Mario 64. Now that's an unpopular opinion.

TylerTheCreator

CanisWolfred

I find both Super Mario 64 and Super Mario Sunshine to be good games with great ideas that had some flawed areas that could really grind my gears at times. For Sunshine, though, it was mostly the bosses (the only time in a Mario game where the bosses are actually hard, and they make them rediculously hard) and one single solitary aspect of the controls (having to turn around to do backflipping). Whereas for Super Mario 64, it was the level design in the last third of the game...

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Fazzie_Bear

I hated Splatoon. It just wasn't very appealing to me. I hated the human character designs (especially that they were all kids), I thought the Story Mode was awful, and I didn't even care much for the game's "pinnacle", the matches. I recognize it is a good game, but I didn't like it, if that makes sense.

Currently playing: Super Mario Maker, Legend of Zelda: Triforce Heroes
Amiibo Collection: Link (SSB4), Luigi (SSB4), Pac-Man(SSB4), Mega Man (SSB4)
Most Anticipated Game: FNAF World

-Green-

What even is a "gamer"? I hate the use of the word, and how people treat it like a special club. I feel a gamer is anyone who is willing and enjoys playing games and it really irritates me to hear the talk of gamer supremacy (especially from PC gamers). Especially when people treat games like they are godly, and must be serious (meaning they can't have goofier games). I feel like people forget that games in general are just toys and most games are nothing more than forms of simple entertainment.

"Enthusiastic Hi" (awkward stare)
Nintendo Switch Code: SW-5081-0666-1429
PS4 Thing: TBA

kkslider5552000

Aromaiden wrote:

What even is a "gamer"? I hate the use of the word, and how people treat it like a special club. I feel a gamer is anyone who is willing and enjoys playing games and it really irritates me to hear the talk of gamer supremacy (especially from PC gamers). Especially when people treat games like they are godly, and must be serious (meaning they can't have goofier games). I feel like people forget that games in general are just toys and most games are nothing more than forms of simple entertainment.

I disagree. Gamer is probably the easiest way to point out someone that has a significant interest in gaming, similar to a film buff or what have you. Experts on gaming is as valid as any other hobby, and there is a difference between someone who plays games a ton and knows them very well and someone who enjoys an iPhone puzzle game here or there. It's a very helpful term, and gamer would be almost irrelevant otherwise as most people nowadays have played a video game here or there.

That being said, elitism in gaming is pathetic and annoys me to no end. The fact that I am apparently way better at Shovel Knight than most people is not something I use to smugly point out how superior I am or some garbage like that. That's dumb.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

-Green-

kkslider5552000 wrote:

Aromaiden wrote:

I disagree. Gamer is probably the easiest way to point out someone that has a significant interest in gaming, similar to a film buff or what have you. Experts on gaming is as valid as any other hobby, and there is a difference between someone who plays games a ton and knows them very well and someone who enjoys an iPhone puzzle game here or there. It's a very helpful term, and gamer would be almost irrelevant otherwise as most people nowadays have played a video game here or there.

That being said, elitism in gaming is pathetic and annoys me to no end. The fact that I am apparently way better at Shovel Knight than most people is not something I use to smugly point out how superior I am or some garbage like that. That's dumb.

Honestly, I think the word gamer is just tossed around a lot, and the main reason I think I dislike it is because of the occasional elitism in gaming. Where individuals will consider themselves better and superior gamers, because they play on a better or superior console or play more serious and realistic game. That may be due to me seeing games as fun and not taking them as serious as others, and also because of bad experiences with elitist jerks.

"Enthusiastic Hi" (awkward stare)
Nintendo Switch Code: SW-5081-0666-1429
PS4 Thing: TBA

Whydoievenbother

Aromaiden wrote:

kkslider5552000 wrote:

Aromaiden wrote:

Honestly, I think the word gamer is just tossed around a lot, and the main reason I think I dislike it is because of the occasional elitism in gaming. Where individuals will consider themselves better and superior gamers, because they play on a better or superior console or play more serious and realistic game. That may be due to me seeing games as fun and not taking them as serious as others, and also because of bad experiences with elitist jerks.

I also hate that sort of behavior from elitist gamers. I wouldn't let anyone tell me that I'm "not a real gamer" just because I don't like the same types of games that other people do (cough FPS cough).

Edited on by Whydoievenbother

"I'll take a potato chip... AND EAT IT!"
Light Yagami, Death Note
"Ah, the Breakfast Club soundtrack! I can't wait 'til I'm old enough to feel ways about stuff!"
Phillip J. Fry, Futurama

AceDefective

MrMario02 wrote:

Aromaiden wrote:

kkslider5552000 wrote:

Aromaiden wrote:

I also hate that sort of behavior from elitist gamers. I wouldn't let anyone tell me that I'm "not a real gamer" just because I don't like the same types of games that other people do (cough FPS cough).

Throwing my hat in hat in there: I feel like casual and hardcore/core gamer are good terms for defining interest level. Like someone claims they are a casual gamer, it means they only really have a small interest in video games; versus hardcore meaning they a huge interest and games. Not liking or liking a certain type of game has no baring on your interest in video games, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Just some random loser who loves a variety of things.
Youtube Channel | Deviant ART | YoYo Games account |

3DS Friend Code: 2079-6493-1326 | Nintendo Network ID: ZeroZX_Dev | Twitter:

LzWinky

I am a gamer because I play games.

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

AtomiCartridge

Smash 4 disappointed me tremendously. While all of the characters and stages are great, the slow pacing and bizarre obsession on spikes and recoveries kills the high-speed mayhem that was present in the first 2 games. Now it just feels and plays like a really violent game of chess, except we already have had that type of gameplay for nearly twenty years, with Pokemon.

Twilight Symphony. Enough Said.

My cat Ivory approves of your posts. Please continue to make more of them so that she does not consume my soul.

TylerTheCreator

@AtomiCartridge: It's not that slow. The pace doesn't bother me much anyway. I just play it for fun.

TylerTheCreator

LaVelle

Sorry for the long post in advance - I'll only do this once, and I'm bored so here we go:

Nintendo should buy the Timesplitters license as it would be a fantastic FPS perfectly suited to their company's personality.

Star Fox should look like puppets in-game. The fact that they don't is inexcusable.

Luigi is better than Mario in every single conceivable way. Anyone who disagrees is a terrible human being.

Brawl is my favourite Smash game. I miss the adventure mode and absurd storyline.

Sonic is terrible. Simply terrible. The first two games are bearable but everything that came out after are an offence to all the senses. This is particularly true of its 'universe' of characters. I hate them with a passion and will make value judgements based on those who do like them.

I will never understand how Uncharted and the Last of Us are so popular. They are dull, lifeless, and have terrible narratives.

There are too many pokemon. We need a cull.

Nintendo should give up on trying to acquire Sony and Microsoft's ongoing 3rd party franchises and put their attentions on getting their back-catalogue out on virtual console and acquiring a couple of 3rd party exclusives a year.

Despite the fact that I love Nintendo's competitors - I only think Nintendo's games and franchises are worth keeping. Most other games are only worth the distraction of a play-through once and have no longevity or value on a shelf. I don't know why I find Nintendo the exception to this - but I do. I treat most games as more disposable than I do any other media. They are there for instant gratification and have little continued value.

Link's Awakening is the best Zelda game.

... But all mini-games in Zelda titles should go die in a fire.

Every single franchise should have a Dynasty Warriors style spin-off because no matter what anyone tells me - they never get old despite how absurdly repetitive they are. Whatever game it is - I want the chance to kill more things in a more button-mashy way on a big field. Turning a map from red to blue is one of the few joys left in modern gaming.

The New Super Mario Bros. games are an embarrassment to the franchise...

So is Super Mario 3D World. It is exceptionally well produced... But is utterly pedestrian and repetitive.

Rayman Legends is better than every other Mario platformer made for the Wii U.

I don't want complex stories in Mario games but they desperately need more originality, flair and 'character' invested in the construction of the world. The Mushroom Kingdom seems like a cool place and I want to hang out there more often. Not in floating sky blocks.

It doesn't really matter because Donkey Kong has always been better than Mario anyway.

I want a 3D open world platformer with Donkey and Diddy given free run of the entirety of DK island as a living world, fighting off an invasion of K Rool's pirate fleet. It should be based on the cool concept artwork used for Donkey Kong Returns - not cartoonified - but realised in that painterly fashion. It should be epic - harrowing - and have a narrative of colonial banana conquest that makes you cry and question your impact on delicate ecosystems. The fact that I don't have this is proof that there is no God.

Super Metroid was too hard to navigate and endlessly frustrating.

Every game should have a feature for local co-op.

Bosses that have too many rounds/phases suck. I still can't beat the final boss in Cave Story and have lost the will to care.

Amiibo represent literally everything wrong with Nintendo as a company. Anyone who thinks they look good as collectors pieces or would want them on a shelf is legitimately crazy. Their only use is for creating a custom chess set for idiots. That is all.

The Legacy of Kain franchise was the best thing to ever happen to gaming - despite its many - many flaws. It had more individuality and ideas that most games can dream of.... plus I miss Simon Templeman.

Bowser did nothing wrong. I want to play as him more.

Phew, that felt good. Now back to the work I should be doing.

Edited on by LaVelle

LaVelle

Hendesu

@LaVelle: I agree everything you said. Expect the Sonic part.

Edited on by Hendesu

Some random dude on Nintendo Life.
Toriel left for a while, so Freaky Fred took over her place!
Not changing this part of the signature until Nintendo announces Super Mario Sunshine 2.
[Started 10/31/15]

Nintendo Network ID: DarkSperow

LaVelle

@NightmareEater: Thanks. I'm not sure they are really unpopular opinions but they're what came to mind. BTW, the Sonic opinions aren't necessarily well-informed statements - there probably is plenty of good stuff out there - but they're mine nevertheless. My brain just switches to incoherent rage mode whenever I see him - based (probably almost entirely) on so much of his online fanbase. Maybe one day I will learn to make peace with the hedgehog.

LaVelle

Whydoievenbother

Infamous 1 is better than Infamous 2.

"I'll take a potato chip... AND EAT IT!"
Light Yagami, Death Note
"Ah, the Breakfast Club soundtrack! I can't wait 'til I'm old enough to feel ways about stuff!"
Phillip J. Fry, Futurama

grumblebuzzz

Super Mario 3D World is the worst 3D Mario game and is highly overrated.

When I close my eyes, I see pixilated blood.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic