Forums

Topic: Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Posts 2,281 to 2,300 of 12,088

Socar

SuperWiiU wrote:

Artwark wrote:

Fire Emblem isn't Niche. I get that some prefer it as niche mainly because each game is similar to one another but that still doesn't make it niche AT ALL!

Untitled
A strategy RPG usually isn't for the masses. It mainly appeals to a smaller group of gamers that love them, that makes it niche.

With games like Valkyria Chronicles, Shadowrun and X-COM, how can TRPG be niche at this point?

After so long...I'm back. Don't ask why

Nintendo Network ID: ArtwarkSwark | Twitter:

CaviarMeths

Artwark wrote:

With games like Valkyria Chronicles, Shadowrun and X-COM, how can TRPG be niche at this point?

None of those games sold well except VC, and VC only sold well after a massive price drop. Its sequel bombed.

Fire Emblem is an anime game on handheld that isn't aimed at children. That alone makes it niche.

Edited on by CaviarMeths

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

SuperWiiU

CaviarMeths wrote:

Artwark wrote:

None of those games sold well except VC, and VC only sold well after a massive price drop. Its sequel bombed.

Fire Emblem is an anime game on handheld that isn't aimed at children. That alone makes it niche.

And VC came at a time when RPG(-like) games were rare on PS3, so that made even more people than usual buy it.

AlliMeadow

In my opinion the GameCube controller is the worst Nintendo controller. Not because of the button layout, but because of how incredibly uncomfortable it is to hold. I get that the N64 controller sucks for a lot of reasons, but it doesn't give me cramps after 20 minutes of playing. The Pro-controller for Wii U is so far the most comfortable controller I've ever used. And to me comfort is more important than functionality to an extent, because even though the N64 controller never was optimal, I could play games for hours because it was comfortable, and therefore more fun.

AlliMeadow

Nintendo Network ID: Alli-V-Meadow

Socar

CaviarMeths wrote:

Artwark wrote:

Its like saying that there's no market for simulation games because kids can't seem to play games like Animal Crossing. Or how about shoot em up games? People still want those kind of games and while you don't see much of them, they are still being made regardless. Star Fox isn't niche because of how it sold so neither should FE after how much Awakening sold.

CaviarMeths

kkslider5552000 wrote:

CaviarMeths wrote:

Artwark wrote:

None of those games sold well

wrong

Shadowrun sold sub-200k in North America, according to NPD. Probably less in Europe, being an Xbox 360 exclusive. Negligible sales in Japan. So it sold about as well worldwide as... Wonderful 101.

XCOM did better. Not a lot better. Like, Bayonetta 2 better.

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

CanisWolfred

360 Shadowrun isn't a TRPG, it's an FPS and there are 5 other games in the series that are far more popular and successful. I'm not exactly sure how the hell you made that mistake. :/

Valkyria Chronicles sold just under 1 million on the PS3. Not terrible, not great. It's reportedly been selling well on the PC, but no exact numbers can be found.

XCOM sold well enough and had a lot of recognition from the mainstream press.

However, not ever niche game sells poorly. Arguably what makes a game a "niche" game is that there's less "middle ground" in terms of players' enjoyment. They're made for a specific type of gamer, so usually either you're the person the game was meant to appeal to, or you're not. Sports sims can be considered "niche" because they know exactly who they're appealing to, and they generally don't appeal to people who don't already know that the game is "their thing", so to speak. In fact, Sims in general are heavily niche, yet still some, like Roller Coaster Tycoon and Sim City are popular franchises, and there's always some sim game on the Steam top sellers list, most of which I've never heard of outside of Steam itself, because I don't go to websites that focus on those kinds of games - I'm not its audience.

Strategy games usually require a certain kind of person. There are exceptions (Advance Wars and Shining Force, for instance, are more casual affairs), but for the most part, they're not going to appeal to your average gamer. That doesn't mean they can't sell well, just don't expect to hear people talking about it at your local Micky-D.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

DefHalan

360 Shadowrun was awesome and I would buy another game like it in a heartbeat. (Maybe have a single player mode this time)

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

PrincessSugoi

Retro_on_theGo wrote:

Hoenn is the worst Pokemon region. Now this is an opinion I know that is very unpopular. When people have nostalgia for where they started with Pokemon it's always gen 1 (Kanto) or gen 3 (Hoenn) (So I bet in 10 years or something we'll have people super nostalgic about Gen 7 as their starting point.)

There's a lot of love for the region, but I don't get it. There is way too much surfing and that wouldn't be too bad if you didn't run into the same two Pokemon the entire time! And the remake didn't even bother to address that! And somehow people thought it was ok because of Nostalgia? The soundtrack was lackluster. (People are going to kill me for that) Don't get me wrong, the wild battle theme is easily the best one in all of Pokemon, but every other battle theme sounds the same to me. The battle themes are the more important tracks to me since they're the ones I'll hear the most and every one sending the same was very dull. I don't know if it was the sound font or what but they were just bland. I don't mean to say Hoenn is terrible, but by which games I enjoyed the most, Hoenn was the weakest.

It seems I run into a lot of people now with nostalgia for DPP so guess it's about the right time to milk that train.

As someone who just got into the Pokemon games this generation, I felt I was missing something with all the hype and excitement for the Hoenn remakes. After playing through AS, I'm now certain that thing missing is nostalgia. I told myself (and others) that I was taking my time with the game as to not over do it like I did with X... which was true but another part of it was really that I just didn't find Hoenn as enjoyable as Kalos. Too much of the game felt like playing through those water stages in Mario/Sonic/etc. that I typically groaned at as a kid only worse because instead of going to just Point A to Point B you're going up, down, left, right, and all around trying to find your way to where you need to be. I didn't too much care for the land locations either aside from Mauville and Sootopolis but maybe the whole Paris aesthetic was just more my taste. I didn't really have a problem with the soundtrack, I liked it for the most part but I will say that Wally's battle theme was the only one I can think of that had me pause immediately to just listen. I did have a problem though with customization not be included. I understood why but I still did not like it at all.

When the inevitable Sinnoh remakes come, I just hope I won't run into that same problem of having to be there the first time around to really appreciate the region.

Current Playlist: Age of Calamity, Stardew Valley, ACNH

Hopeless permanent resident of Idol Hell.

3DS Friend Code: 4184-2503-1604 | Nintendo Network ID: sasamitails

CanisWolfred

I liked Hoenn, but a lot of that came down to the graphics - it had some of the most goergeous backrounds and spritework on the GBA. I also liked a few of the tunes to an absurd degree, so that helped, too. Personally I thought it had the best surfing music, for instance, which is good considering how much of it you do. The amount of little touches in the world, the writing, the sound, the graphics - it was the most immersive game I had played when I got it, so I don't think the nostalgia is unfounded. The 3DS version even does a good job of capturing a lot of that atmosphere, although the graphics aren't nearly as impressive.

But yeah, as neat as I think it is, it wasn't the best region. I liked it more than Gen 4's world (even in Platinum Sinnoh is structured about as poorly as freakin' Kanto), but Unova and Kalos had all the atmosphere I could ask for while also having good pacing and world structure. In retrospect, Johto actually beats Hoenn out, too, especially in HeartGold/SoulSilver.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Ralizah

I like all the remasters we're getting this gen. They give me a chance to experience games I've never played before in the best way possible on modern tech.

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

RR529

I don't know if this is unpopular, but I like the "art style" a lot of Japanese games used in the late 90's & early 2000's.

I used quotations, because it's not exactly an actual art style, but just the way they built & texturized things (like actually using a photo of a stone wall to texturize an in game stone wall, for example.

Games like the Sonic Adventure games, Shenmue (from what I can tell), and Way of the Samurai used these techniques, and though they're of a smaller budget, a lot of eShop games seem to use this "style" as well (Ninja Battle Heroes, Sakura Samurai, and the Family sports series all seem to have this same vibe).

I don't know if anyone will get what I'm talking about, but I figured I'd share.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

CaviarMeths

@RR529 do you mean pre-rendered? A lot of early 3D games did this, used a flat bitmap image for a lot of backgrounds and objects instead of actual 3D polygons. It allowed for a higher level of detail using less storage space, so faster loading times. Final Fantasy VII and VIII used tons of pre-renders, as did Resident Evil.

Or do you mean like pasting a flat image over 3D polygons like they did the faces in Goldeneye 64?

RR529

CaviarMeths wrote:

@RR529 do you mean pre-rendered? A lot of early 3D games did this, used a flat bitmap image for a lot of backgrounds and objects instead of actual 3D polygons. It allowed for a higher level of detail using less storage space, so faster loading times. Final Fantasy VII and VIII used tons of pre-renders, as did Resident Evil.

Or do you mean like pasting a flat image over 3D polygons like they did the faces in Goldeneye 64?

No, I don't mean pre-rendered, but I think that second one you mentioned is more like it (giving texture to a 3D object by overlaying a real world photograph over it). I don't know, I just think that it looks kinda cool.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

iKhan

CanisWolfred wrote:

I liked Hoenn, but a lot of that came down to the graphics - it had some of the most goergeous backrounds and spritework on the GBA. I also liked a few of the tunes to an absurd degree, so that helped, too. Personally I thought it had the best surfing music, for instance, which is good considering how much of it you do. The amount of little touches in the world, the writing, the sound, the graphics - it was the most immersive game I had played when I got it, so I don't think the nostalgia is unfounded. The 3DS version even does a good job of capturing a lot of that atmosphere, although the graphics aren't nearly as impressive.

But yeah, as neat as I think it is, it wasn't the best region. I liked it more than Gen 4's world (even in Platinum Sinnoh is structured about as poorly as freakin' Kanto), but Unova and Kalos had all the atmosphere I could ask for while also having good pacing and world structure. In retrospect, Johto actually beats Hoenn out, too, especially in HeartGold/SoulSilver.

IMO Kanto had the best structured overworld the series has ever seen. The Kanto games were very non-linear. You often had multiple places you could go, depending on which obstruction you solved first. The way that there were multiple ways to choose your journey was really brilliant.

Unova and Kalos were literally straight lines. They definitely looked the nicest, but they were almost at the point where they could have scrapped the overworld and replaced it with a Pokemon Colosseum style map. How exactly is that "good world structure"?

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

Socar

I can't believe that fan translations are also illegal to play. What do companies lose if fan translations exist? Most recently, Valkyria Chronicles 3 was translated.....you don't see anyone complaining there. Not even SEGA for that matter.

CaviarMeths

Artwark wrote:

I can't believe that fan translations are also illegal to play. What do companies lose if fan translations exist? Most recently, Valkyria Chronicles 3 was translated.....you don't see anyone complaining there. Not even SEGA for that matter.

It's "technically" illegal because of copyright and IP laws (which you should believe, because they're very real), but very loosely enforced. Nobody is going to break down your door and arrest if you play a fan translated ROM. At worst, the distributor of the ROM will receive a C&D from the IP holder and then stop hosting it.

Socar

CaviarMeths wrote:

Artwark wrote:

It's "technically" illegal because of copyright and IP laws (which you should believe, because they're very real), but very loosely enforced. Nobody is going to break down your door and arrest if you play a fan translated ROM. At worst, the distributor of the ROM will receive a C&D from the IP holder and then stop hosting it.

Its not a question of being a crime and all. Its just the fact that the exclusive games won't sell in the west because they were not meant to be in the west. So why would anyone claim the fan games when they can just localize the games as remakes and then claim them?

And this also screws up the morality a bit. The fact that playing a fan based game is bad because the fans do it for free is a bad thing because of stealing the game as a ROM? I get that pirating games are illegal but why fan based stuff.

Seriously, lots of only Japanese games aren't gonna be here even for a long time. I don't see Nintendo localizing Fire emblem: The binding Issac anytime soon.

CanisWolfred

iKhan wrote:

CanisWolfred wrote:

IMO Kanto had the best structured overworld the series has ever seen. The Kanto games were very non-linear. You often had multiple places you could go, depending on which obstruction you solved first. The way that there were multiple ways to choose your journey was really brilliant.

Unova and Kalos were literally straight lines. They definitely looked the nicest, but they were almost at the point where they could have scrapped the overworld and replaced it with a Pokemon Colosseum style map. How exactly is that "good world structure"?

That's good structure because those straight lines meant that you could actually get to places. Kanto's overworld is terrible because everything is a freakin' puzzle, everything. Just going from town to town, or even to a decent tall grass area is a freakin' chore every single time. That stuff is okay for a dungeon, but not the overworld that you have to travel on a frequent basis. That's just RPG common sense.

So what I guess I meant to say was layout, not structure. I liked the sequence breaking you could do in Red and Blue, but that's a different topic.

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic