Forums

Topic: Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Posts 221 to 240 of 12,088

Mr_Video

I think the Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time and Super Mario 64 are over-rated. Don't get me wrong, I think they're great games and are important titles for innovating their respective series', but they just aren't that great by today's standards in my opinion.

(Not sure if this one applies anymore as the general opinion seems to have changed over the years.) Wind Waker is my favorite video-game ever made.

Mr_Video

Jaz007

GuardianKing wrote:

@Jaz007 I'm curious which Harvest Moon games you've played.

I played The future one as a rental, but it was years ago so I discard that. I more recently played A Tale of Two Towns, but that was a really stupid choice since I never liked cooking in those types of games. I ended up selling it.

Edited on by Jaz007

Jaz007

GuardianKing

@Jaz007 Well, that explains everything...
I would recommend the new one that's about to be released, but since there's no confirmed localization, I'd suggest HM: A New Beginning; that, or you could try HM: A Wonderful Life on Game Cube (?) or HM: More Friends of Mineral Town on GBA (?).

My Neopet.
NL RPG Season 2
DA Profile

3DS Friend Code: 5258-0260-8594 | Nintendo Network ID: GuardianKing | Twitter:

Jaz007

GuardianKing wrote:

@Jaz007 Well, that explains everything...
I would recommend the new one that's about to be released, but since there's no confirmed localization, I'd suggest HM: A New Beginning; that, or you could try HM: A Wonderful Life on Game Cube (?) or HM: More Friends of Mineral Town on GBA (?).

I think I'll wait for the new one's probable localization since I've got Rune Factory 4 right now.

Jaz007

SavoirFaire

-The triple A mentality is going to cause another video game crash, and that is a good thing. The industry needs it from a software side of things
-There is nothing wrong with milking a franchise if you do quality games of said franchise.
-DLC is wonderful when done right.
-World of Warcraft has harmed the MMO genre because of its popularity.

And since we are veering a bit into comics:
-Wonder Woman is a very dull character.
-The Green Lantern movie didn't deserve to kill the franchise.
-Deadpool can't carry his own movie, though I will admit I thought Renoylds nailed the character in Wolverine.
-The first 2 Brian Singer x-men movies were not really that great.

SavoirFaire

Nintendo Network ID: rdean1209

MuchoMochi

I don't know how popular this is with non-nintendo fanatic gamer community, but I think a remake of Star Tropics would not work at all. It's a great game for the time that it came out but I think it would be pretty poor, and not held in nearly as high regard as the original.

3DS Friend Code: 2895-6767-5334

CanisWolfred

MuchoMochi wrote:

I don't know how popular this is with non-nintendo fanatic gamer community, but I think a remake of Star Tropics would not work at all. It's a great game for the time that it came out but I think it would be pretty poor, and not held in nearly as high regard as the original.

It would pretty much be Dark Souls, actually...which means you're right, but it won't stop people from buying it in droves and praising it to the sun...

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

MuchoMochi

CanisWolfred wrote:

MuchoMochi wrote:

It would pretty much be Dark Souls, actually...which means you're right, but it won't stop people from buying it in droves and praising it to the sun...

Haha that's an interesting comparison actually, I still don't think it will ever happen. That remake would make niche games look like Call of Duty.

3DS Friend Code: 2895-6767-5334

LzWinky

ShadowFox254 wrote:

I laugh when anyone says "Nintendo is the only one milking their franchise".

I laugh when anyone accuses Nintendo of something as if they're the only company doing it...including milking franchises

I think online multiplayer is overrated and not that necessary in EVERY video game. It does work with some games like Mario Kart

Edited on by LzWinky

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

Geonjaha

Unca_Lz wrote:

I think online multiplayer is overrated and not that necessary in EVERY video game. It does work with some games like Mario Kart

I didn't think anyone was naïve enough to believe that every game would work with multiplayer.

Geonjaha

3DS Friend Code: 2277-6645-7215

World

I feel like I posted this here before, but I guess that's just the ol' broken record syndrome acting up.

I like games that people don't like, but I think the gamers I know understand that everyone is different. Or they also like games that are a bit terrible. My sister likes Need for Speed; one of my best friends imports the Dynasty Warriors games just to play them day one, and so on.

But what makes people REALLY walk away from me is when I say that I believe masculine bias is a real problem in gaming. Not MALE bias, although the fact that I'm a "girl gamer" to people and not just a gamer says there's some of that too.

Anyway, I just hate that no one seems to see, or at least discuss, the fact that the majority (not all, thankfully) of games that are lauded by all critics ever have very masculine goals, if not also the masculine art style to go with it.

For every Animal Crossing (which I don't even like, on account of my OCD wouldn't let me play it), there are 80,000 Arkham Gear Solid and Random Indie Challenge 8,000,000 and whatever. Games where you combine a "grim, gritty" aesthetic with dominating the people of the universe in which you live (I mean, they're often sociopaths, but still).

Then, inevitably, some dude in hipster glasses always comes out of the woodwork to pontificate on these games and say "this. This is legitimate. This is mature. This is art." As if the grim-n-gritty, tough-as-nails games market is THE only one that ever counted.

And that makes me sad.

Edited on by World

World

UnknownNico

@World Could you elaborate a little on the whole "masculine bias" thing? I'm not about to take stances, I'm just a little curious.

I'm really running out of ideas for my signature.
I've got the power! The Hidden Power!
I used to run on blast processing. Now I'm 64-bit.
Currently playing: ARK: Survival Evolved, Splatoon
I AM STILL NEAR-PERFECT!!!

3DS Friend Code: 2664-2246-5075

GuSolarFlare

@World it's kinda stereotypical to say it's all masculine just because it's violent and gritty....
though it seems the devs also think that's what manly actually means.... >.>

goodbyes are a sad part of life but for every end there's a new beggining so one must never stop looking forward to the next dawn
now working at IBM as helpdesk analyst
my Backloggery

3DS Friend Code: 3995-7085-4333 | Nintendo Network ID: GustavoSF

World

@GuSilverFlame, @UnknownNico

Well, I guess it's hard to explain. I didn't just mean the "dark 'n gritty" look to things. I meant how games that are about proving your superiority over the world around you are, more generally, considered top of the heap and art. That's not always the case, but I just feel like it's more often than not the case.

I'm basing this entirely on masculine and feminine not really being attached to men or women, but being things that can be represented in anyone and not necessarily just one or the other. But I guess masculinity is basically just "things where you are proving superiority" and femininity is "things where you are building community." (And I'm basing THAT on stuff by a writer named Deborah Tannen and maybe that's a bad idea).

Anyway, I just feel like the second one often falls flat in the public eye, and isn't given as much leeway, when it comes to gaming. Like it's less likely to become art and be considered legitimate.

I hope I articulated it better that time? It's complicated, I think.

World

Dreamz

World wrote:

I feel like I posted this here before, but I guess that's just the ol' broken record syndrome acting up.

I like games that people don't like, but I think the gamers I know understand that everyone is different. Or they also like games that are a bit terrible. My sister likes Need for Speed; one of my best friends imports the Dynasty Warriors games just to play them day one, and so on.

But what makes people REALLY walk away from me is when I say that I believe masculine bias is a real problem in gaming. Not MALE bias, although the fact that I'm a "girl gamer" to people and not just a gamer says there's some of that too.

Anyway, I just hate that no one seems to see, or at least discuss, the fact that the majority (not all, thankfully) of games that are lauded by all critics ever have very masculine goals, if not also the masculine art style to go with it.

For every Animal Crossing (which I don't even like, on account of my OCD wouldn't let me play it), there are 80,000 Arkham Gear Solid and Random Indie Challenge 8,000,000 and whatever. Games where you combine a "grim, gritty" aesthetic with dominating the people of the universe in which you live (I mean, they're often sociopaths, but still).

Then, inevitably, some dude in hipster glasses always comes out of the woodwork to pontificate on these games and say "this. This is legitimate. This is mature. This is art." As if the grim-n-gritty, tough-as-nails games market is THE only one that ever counted.

And that makes me sad.

@World I actually touched on this issue earlier in this thread.

My 3rd Party Games List: Click here
U-Wishlist: Splatoon, Zelda U

World

@Dreamz

Heh, and much more succinctly than I did! Guess that explains my deja vu?

World

CanisWolfred

Geonjaha wrote:

Unca_Lz wrote:

I didn't think anyone was naïve enough to believe that every game would work with multiplayer.

The investors and people in charge of quite a few Video game companies seem to be...

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

RR529

I've always been under the impression that the name of Brock (the Rock type gym leader from gen 1) was a mistranslation of Block (you know, since he uses rock types), and they just went with it.

I know calling him Block might sound weird, but the names of some of the other gym leaders tie in to their Pokémon types. Misty for example uses water types, Lt. Surge uses electric types, and Koga uses poison types (for those that don't know, in Japan, the Koga clan are known for their ninja roots. Ninjas of course, specializing in assassination, would know all about poison).

Then again, Brock does have "rock" in it, so maybe it was supposed to be that way all along.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

GuSolarFlare

RR529 wrote:

I've always been under the impression that the name of Brock (the Rock type gym leader from gen 1) was a mistranslation of Block (you know, since he uses rock types), and they just went with it.

I know calling him Block might sound weird, but the names of some of the other gym leaders tie in to their Pokémon types. Misty for example uses water types, Lt. Surge uses electric types, and Koga uses poison types (for those that don't know, in Japan, the Koga clan are known for their ninja roots. Ninjas of course, specializing in assassination, would know all about poison).

Then again, Brock does have "rock" in it, so maybe it was supposed to be that way all along.

maybe @MAB is actually Brock!!!!!!!!

goodbyes are a sad part of life but for every end there's a new beggining so one must never stop looking forward to the next dawn
now working at IBM as helpdesk analyst
my Backloggery

3DS Friend Code: 3995-7085-4333 | Nintendo Network ID: GustavoSF

SubBronze

RR529 wrote:

I also thought that the translators must have messed up with the names for the Fushica (poison) and Saffron (psychic) gym badges. The "Soul" Badge just seems far more relatable to psychic types then it does poison types, and the "Marsh" Badge doesn't fit psychic types at all. It doesn't fit poison that much either, but Fushica City has the Safari Zone, which is kind of like a marsh/swamp.

Edited on by SubBronze

SteamID: bulby1994

3DS Friend Code: 5112-3450-2144 | Nintendo Network ID: Bulbousaur

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic