Forums

Topic: Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Posts 2,181 to 2,200 of 12,088

Socar

SuperWiiU wrote:

CaviarMeths wrote:

This has less to do with the storage medium and more to do with the fact that CT on PS1 is a very, very poorly optimized port. The PSN version doesn't run any better, even on PS3/Vita.

I made an ISO from my CT disc to run with an emulator and though it did help, even that's still slow.

@Artwark: Sony is great with sound, why wouldn't they ask them?

Its not actually Nintendo that wanted Sony to make that chip. Its Kutaragi-San that secretly accepted to work with Nintendo and who knows what reason he did that for. Was it the fact that he wanted to help Nintendo because he's a huge fan of them? Its because of him that everyone now thinks that Nintendo isn't capable of making powerful hardware because if they do, they would be like Microsoft and Sony making powerful hardware with mediocre game quality. And the fact that Nintendo realized that hardware specs isn't something gamers care about anymore. Think about it. Why would Nintendo produce hardware that is outdated? To sell it at cheap prices. And this sound guy just bugs me a lot and reminds me that Nintendo can't make sound quality hardware like that because they aren't good at making powerful hardware. So every SEGA fan would just say "The reason you guys won was because of Ken Kutaragi's sound chip. Otherwise, the Genesis would've done what Nintendon't!".

For the sound, they could have just gone with other brands like Samsung or even Toshiba. Why Sony of all? If it weren't for him, Nintendo would still be dominating the industry and SEGA would've gone bankrupt and Nintendo would've bought them and everybody would win big time! LOL!........woah.....that was uncalled for.

Edited on by Socar

After so long...I'm back. Don't ask why

Nintendo Network ID: ArtwarkSwark | Twitter:

LyIa

The Sonic Adventure games were horrible messes. Thank you, ProJared.

all men are kings 👑

Jacob717

Cyb3Rnite wrote:

The Sonic Adventure games were horrible messes. Thank you, ProJared.

So you're basing your opinion on someone else's?

Jacob717

World

ekreig wrote:

I finally have something to contribute to this thread: I don't care for Final Fantasy VI. I'm a huge RPG fan and I really gave it a fair shake, but I just can't seem to enjoy it.

I agree completely! I love RPGs too, and this one had so many good ideas, but I didn't feel like they came together in a way that made it a must play game.

World

LyIa

Jason723 wrote:

So you're basing your opinion on someone else's?

No, I've always thought they were horrible, ProJared just expressed it and made it a little more popular.

all men are kings 👑

Socar

People need to stop calling 3D platformers as collect a thons and just call them as Platformers really. 2D platformers require you to collect a lot of stuff and you don't see me complaining about that.

CM30

Artwark wrote:

People need to stop calling 3D platformers as collect a thons and just call them as Platformers really. 2D platformers require you to collect a lot of stuff and you don't see me complaining about that.

True, especially when you consider much of the gameplay in Donkey Kong Country or Yoshi's Island, which had similar collection based gameplay on a 2D plane.

Try out Gaming Reinvented, my new gaming forum and website!
Also, if you're a Wario series fan, check out Wario Forums today! Your only place for Wario series discussion!
My 3DS Friend Code: 4983-5165-4...

Twitter:

GrailUK

The term collect-a-thon drove Pac-Man to drink.

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

CanisWolfred

CM30 wrote:

Artwark wrote:

True, especially when you consider much of the gameplay in Donkey Kong Country or Yoshi's Island, which had similar collection based gameplay on a 2D plane.

To be fair, that was a big part of my problem with Yoshi's Island. The focus on collectables hurt the pace of the game. A good Collect-a-thon is rare, because it requires a lot of naunce in placing the collectables so they're still conducive to good platforming sections while still promoting exploration. Donkey Kong Country got that perfectly, since it was a platformer first and foremost, and everything else felt like the reward for going off the beaten path. Banjo-Kazooie still felt like a rewarding platformer with most of the essentials placed in natural points of the game, while the hard stuff were usually some very good bonus stuff, like Honeycombs and Cheat-o pages.

That said, calling DKC or the original Yoshi's Island a collectathon is a Misnomer. They had a lot of things to collect, but you were never forced to get them. You could speed through the levels, and you'd still be successful based on your own skills. Collect-a-thons require certain amounts of collected items in order to proceed. Usually lots of collected items, actually. That's the problem with them, since it doesn't get more arbitrarily "game-y" than requiring X-amount of items to save the world...

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Socar

CanisWolfred wrote:

CM30 wrote:

Artwark wrote:

To be fair, that was a big part of my problem with Yoshi's Island. The focus on collectables hurt the pace of the game. A good Collect-a-thon is rare, because it requires a lot of naunce in placing the collectables so they're still conducive to good platforming sections while still promoting exploration. Donkey Kong Country got that perfectly, since it was a platformer first and foremost, and everything else felt like the reward for going off the beaten path. Banjo-Kazooie still felt like a rewarding platformer with most of the essentials placed in natural points of the game, while the hard stuff were usually some very good bonus stuff, like Honeycombs and Cheat-o pages.

That said, calling DKC or the original Yoshi's Island a collectathon is a Misnomer. They had a lot of things to collect, but you were never forced to get them. You could speed through the levels, and you'd still be successful based on your own skills. Collect-a-thons require certain amounts of collected items in order to proceed. Usually lots of collected items, actually. That's the problem with them, since it doesn't get more arbitrarily "game-y" than requiring X-amount of items to save the world...

The problem with this is that since you rely on platforms to reach certain areas to get things, people complain about a lot of stuff that's there to get. I honestly had no issues with SM64 because of how much freedom that game gave you to explore with little to no particular platforms that are too hard to reach. Wario World has these puzzles that made players think on how to reach a platform inorder to reach the goodies rather than figuring out where the goodies are. Kirby games don't rely on platforms except in rare occasions where you would need them simply because of how easily Kirby can complete levels without them.

Still the fact that they are called collect a tons because you need to collect certain items to make progress is still stupid. What about the Sonic games in that case? The 2D games always request you to get the Chaos Emeralds in the end inorder to get the best ending.

For my unpopular opinion, my argument is how developers simply rant over at Nintendo that they aren't making powerful hardware like Sony and Microsoft and yet when things don't turn out well for them, they move over to phones and PC's....... I can understand PC's.....but phones? Like its just an underwhelming tech compared to the Wii let alone focus on where money's at.

CanisWolfred

@Artwark, yeah, I agree that they shouldn't be called collect-a-thons, but you have to understand that the problem isn't what you can collect, it's what you have to collect in the ones where they are indeed the objective. While I'm sure there are people who have complained about the amount of stuff to collect in Donkey Kong Country, they're arguments are invalid since Donkey Kong 64 exists, with twice as many things to collect and you're forced to get a large percentage of them in order to progress. That can be annoying unless they do it right, which a lot of developers missed during the supposed height of the collect-a-thon fad...

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Socar

CanisWolfred wrote:

@Artwark, yeah, I agree that they shouldn't be called collect-a-thons, but you have to understand that the problem isn't what you can collect, it's what you have to collect in the ones where they are indeed the objective. While I'm sure there are people who have complained about the amount of stuff to collect in Donkey Kong Country, they're arguments are invalid since Donkey Kong 64 exists, with twice as many things to collect and you're forced to get a large percentage of them in order to progress. That can be annoying unless they do it right, which a lot of developers missed during the supposed height of the collect-a-thon fad...

I never played Donkey Kong 64 so I don't know how to argue on that aspect but I do know that the process you have to do to collect a thing isn't the fault of the term but rather the fault of the game/level designers. In Banjo Kazooie, if you want the best ending, you have to get every thing in the game inorder to do so which itself is a reward. Crash Bandicoot series has things that you need to get and most of the time, they are easy to get so its not that the forced collection isn't a chore but rather the process of getting them instead.

Triple Deluxe has these sun stones that you need to get inorder to make progress but honestly, they are not really hard to get as they can easily be collected and found with little to no challenge. So if at all challenge isn't there to get the thing, then getting it isn't fufilling either. So I guess this part can be debatable. But again, Platformers always have this process of collecting things whether its Metroidvania, Adventure, etc.

I guess then Nintendo is the only one who does it right because I never found 3D Land's Star Medals to be frustrating to get nor is Galaxy 2's Normal and Green Stars(Except that some Green Stars are ridiculous to get but very rewarding once gotten.)

iKhan

CanisWolfred wrote:

iKhan wrote:

CanisWolfred wrote:

Hero Mode is basically the low-heart challenges people regularly do anyways, though. What did you expect, them to make regular enemies take a zillion hits to take down? Because that's usually the alternative for an optional difficulty setting most wouldn't touch regardless. And adding health isn't difficult, it's tedious. Just ask Square-Enix, they're the masters of tedious "difficulty"...

No, I'd like them to make enemies smarter. Either more aggressive or more defensive. That's what an actual difficulty setting is supposed to do.

Except that wouldn't work for a lot of 3D Zelda games unless you design the whole game around them. Those games treat enemies as part of the puzzle aspect, and making enemies more complicated would basically mean that you're making more complicated puzzles. The dungeon layout has to be accomodating as well. Difficulty settings in general are a bad idea for a lot of games, and there's a reason Zelda went so long without them. Hero mode is basically the best that they could do. I'll agree that it's not great, and personally I would've preferred it if they didn't bother, and instead put those resources to use adding more worthwhile optional content (a hard dungeon you don't have to complete but provides you with an upgraded version of a weapon, for instance), but considering the popularity of self-limiting challenges and speedruns of Zelda games (seriously, I can't believe how many people did stuff like that even before streaming was a thing), I'm sure it made sense to Nintendo at least...

@CanisWolfred
Well I've been on a semi-hiatus for a while. Time to get back to this.

It depends on the enemy. Armos and Peahats are definitely part of the dungeon's puzzle/obstacle structure. But Stalfos, Bokoblins, Iron Knuckles, etc are not. Most dungeons are made up of several rooms with plenty of open space and only a few of these enemies designed solely for fighting. Making Bokoblins or Stalfos attack more aggressively will only make the combat more challenging to the player.

Edited on by iKhan

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

CM30

What people fail to consider about 'collectathons' is that in a lot of cases, the collectable objects are really just the 3D equivalent of the 2D platformer flag pole or exit gate.

To much of a degree, beating the likes of Mario 64 or Banjo Kazooie is in essence beating a certain number of 'levels' in the traditional sense, not collecting objects. The Stars or Jiggies are arguably closer to the seven mystical objects you collect in an RPG.

That said, are there elements that are annoying? Yes. But even those are arguably not that far from a traditional platformer in setup. Take the Blue Coins in Mario Sunshine. Annoying, but practically speaking, they're basically the 3D equivalent of the Dragon Coins or Red Coins from older Mario platfomers. Just that you save them the minute you collect them rather than after beating the level.

Try out Gaming Reinvented, my new gaming forum and website!
Also, if you're a Wario series fan, check out Wario Forums today! Your only place for Wario series discussion!
My 3DS Friend Code: 4983-5165-4...

Twitter:

Socar

@CM30 Well put. Which is why I want a remake of Sunshine so that I can get a better experience over it.

I guess as i said earlier, Nintendo is probably the only one that gets 3D platforming right.

CanisWolfred

Actually, I'd say Sony had a ton of good 3D platformers on the PS2, especially if you include multiplatform stuff like Prince of Persia: Sands of Time. Then there's Ratchet & Clank, Jak & Daxter, Sly Cooper (had stealth elements, but the focus was mostly still on the platforming). In fact, I'd say most of Nintendo's outing that gen were mid-tier compared to those. Plus the Xbox had the second Blinx game, which was pretty good, IIRC.

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

GrailUK

Artwark wrote:

@CM30 Well put. Which is why I want a remake of Sunshine so that I can get a better experience over it.

I guess as i said earlier, Nintendo is probably the only one that gets 3D platforming right.

It will lose some subtlety not having analogue triggers. The harder you pressed them the further you sprayed.

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

kkslider5552000

CanisWolfred wrote:

Actually, I'd say Sony had a ton of good 3D platformers on the PS2, especially if you include multiplatform stuff like Prince of Persia: Sands of Time. Then there's Ratchet & Clank, Jak & Daxter, Sly Cooper (had stealth elements, but the focus was mostly still on the platforming). In fact, I'd say most of Nintendo's outing that gen were mid-tier compared to those.

I'm not sure Nintendo released more than like 2 or 3 platformers on the GCN. Which is...weird in retrospect.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Socar

I don't get why gamers are complaining about Capcom's on disc DLC. If it isn't forced down on your throat or if its something that's not needed to beat the game, then I don't see it being bad. If anything, having on disc will be faster to download.

SuperWiiU

Artwark wrote:

I don't get why gamers are complaining about Capcom's on disc DLC. If it isn't forced down on your throat or if its something that's not needed to beat the game, then I don't see it being bad. If anything, having on disc will be faster to download.

It's on the disc, it should be content that's part of the game you paid for. Especially in the case of SFxT where some of my favorite characters are in that DLC. You didn't even get it with the special edition.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic