Forums

Topic: Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Posts 1,881 to 1,900 of 12,088

Jaz007

SkywardLink98 wrote:

Jaz007 wrote:

What happens when those servers go down, and you still haven't bought a game you wanted yet? Or you found out about it after the servers go down? The game is lost to you if you didn't already buy it.

Then that's unfortunate, but if you don't buy a game for the years that the servers are up (Steam has been around for what, 12 years now?) then the only person to blame is yourself. Luckily, with services such as the Virtual Console, PS Now, etc. there will likely be another option to acquire the game.

I think there are plenty of situations where you don't really need to blame yourself. Steam also isn't a good example. My PC plays a new game and a game from early PS2 days. My concern is when say PS3 network support is dropped. PS6 may be around and the PS network will still be there, but the PS3 won't have it anymore. A lot games don't come to VC either.

Jaz007

CaviarMeths

Jaz007 wrote:

SkywardLink98 wrote:

Jaz007 wrote:

What happens when those servers go down, and you still haven't bought a game you wanted yet? Or you found out about it after the servers go down? The game is lost to you if you didn't already buy it.

Then that's unfortunate, but if you don't buy a game for the years that the servers are up (Steam has been around for what, 12 years now?) then the only person to blame is yourself. Luckily, with services such as the Virtual Console, PS Now, etc. there will likely be another option to acquire the game.

I think there are plenty of situations where you don't really need to blame yourself. Steam also isn't a good example. My PC plays a new game and a game from early PS2 days. My concern is when say PS3 network support is dropped. PS6 may be around and the PS network will still be there, but the PS3 won't have it anymore. A lot games don't come to VC either.

I don't think that there's any reason to believe that the PS3 will be dropped. It's all the same servers you're accessing, no matter which device you use to access it. As long as there is a Sony Entertainment Network, there will be PS3 support.

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

unrandomsam

CaviarMeths wrote:

Jaz007 wrote:

SkywardLink98 wrote:

Jaz007 wrote:

I don't think that there's any reason to believe that the PS3 will be dropped. It's all the same servers you're accessing, no matter which device you use to access it. As long as there is a Sony Entertainment Network, there will be PS3 support.

In that case why did they drop PSP support recently ? (Other than via a PS3). I have read anything to suggest the support will be indefinite.

“30fps Is Not a Good Artistic Decision, It's a Failure”
Freedom of the press is for those who happen to own one.

Jaz007

unrandomsam wrote:

CaviarMeths wrote:

Jaz007 wrote:

SkywardLink98 wrote:

Jaz007 wrote:

In that case why did they drop PSP support recently ? (Other than via a PS3). I have read anything to suggest the support will be indefinite.

Do you mean Playstation mobile?

Edited on by Jaz007

Jaz007

unrandomsam

Jaz007 wrote:

unrandomsam wrote:

CaviarMeths wrote:

Jaz007 wrote:

SkywardLink98 wrote:

Jaz007 wrote:

Do you mean Playstation mobile?

I mean buying PSP games on a PSP via PSN. (Afaik that was EOL'ed in the fairly recent past).

“30fps Is Not a Good Artistic Decision, It's a Failure”
Freedom of the press is for those who happen to own one.

Jaz007

CanisWolfred wrote:

^You're right, most of the world shut down PS Store support for the PSP back in September, according to this article: http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/09/10/sony-to-cut-playstatio...

Yet the Americas are still up. Guess that's why I never noticed...

Dang, even though it's still there for me, I can't believe they shut it down for everyone else, it's just so quick. I would have hoped for years more of support. This is another reason the PSP GO was such a failure. I'm also concerned about updates, with so many games getting vital post-launch updates, are many games as good as digital only?

Jaz007

CanisWolfred

Most games that rely on updates have short lifespans, so that really isn't an issue. The PSP lost support because it was heavily hackable (which really hurt the system in general). It was becoming a liability...

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

CaviarMeths

Huh, didn't know PSP support was dropped. Guess there is some reason to worry. Still can't see PS3 being dropped though.

Anyway, unpopular opinion: Lightning is an interesting character and one of Tetsuya Nomura's best designs.

Her games are still meh though.

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

iKhan

I want to see a futuristic Zelda game. The Palace of Twilight easily has my favorite visual design in the series, and I think that's an amazing template for how a Zelda game that blends technology and magic together could look.

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

CanisWolfred

iKhan wrote:

I want to see a futuristic Zelda game. The Palace of Twilight easily has my favorite visual design in the series, and I think that's an amazing template for how a Zelda game that blends technology and magic together could look.

TBF, Skyward Sword did at least a little of that, and the new one looks like it could be going that way, in a "Magical Sci-Fi" sorta way.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

kkslider5552000

CanisWolfred wrote:

iKhan wrote:

TBF, Skyward Sword did at least a little of that, and the new one looks like it could be going that way, in a "Magical Sci-Fi" sorta way.

And it will all be from a civilization from the past that has the best technology. Always.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

CaviarMeths

CanisWolfred wrote:

I'm still waiting for the day scientists finally realize Dinosaurs didn't go extinct, they just went into spaaaace!

You say that, but what you didn't realize is that it already happened and it was awful.

Untitled

LyIa

Off-topic.
I'd say I'd be suprised to find out people didn't know about PSP support was dropped, but I'd be lying

I don't think I've met one person with a PSP that wasn't 1337h4xx0r'd. In my country, PSP piracy was so rampant that grey markets offered to put illegal games on systems for, like, a dollar (I'm not very familiar with USD but it should be something like that.)

Such a shame, honestly. It was a great device with a great library.

all men are kings 👑

CaviarMeths

My PSP wasn't hacked. I just stopped buying games for it around 2011. Actually, I've probably bought more PSP games on my Vita than I ever did on the PSP itself.

Caryslan

BinaryFragger wrote:

Cyb3Rnite wrote:

Off-topic.
I'd say I'd be suprised to find out people didn't know about PSP support was dropped, but I'd be lying

I don't think I've met one person with a PSP that wasn't 1337h4xx0r'd. In my country, PSP piracy was so rampant that grey markets offered to put illegal games on systems for, like, a dollar (I'm not very familiar with USD but it should be something like that.)

Such a shame, honestly. It was a great device with a great library.

That would explain why my inlaws wanted PSPs when I asked what "pasalubong" they wanted me to bring when I visited the Philippines. I remember seeing pirated games being openly sold in a mall in Tarlac, too.
For the record, $1 USD is about 45 peso.

CaviarMeths wrote:

My PSP wasn't hacked. I just stopped buying games for it around 2011. Actually, I've probably bought more PSP games on my Vita than I ever did on the PSP itself.

Same here. My Vita is quickly being filled with PSP games thanks to frequent PSN sales.

The PSP will go down as the textbook example of how piracy can kill a platform. Despite the PSP selling 70 millon units, the software attachment rate for the system was horrible, and piracy was cited as the reason why certain games like Final Fantasy Type-O never made it out of Japan.

It was also a key reason why major titles like Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker and God of War: Ghost of Sparta has such bad sales numbers despite the massive install base.

What was sad about the PSP was piracy was open and blatant compared to other platforms.

Caryslan

CaviarMeths

Caryslan wrote:

It was also a key reason why major titles like Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker and God of War: Ghost of Sparta has such bad sales numbers despite the massive install base.

I don't believe that. These games didn't bomb because people could just steal them instead. People can steal just about anything if they really want to, but they don't. Generally speaking, people buy stuff. Lots and lots of stuff. The DS and Wii were both massive platforms for piracy too, but that didn't stop them from achieving a couple billion software sales between the two of them.

These games sell poorly because nobody wants to play a AAA console game on a handheld. Not understanding that was Sony's big mistake with the Vita.

Blanc

Cyberpunk 2077 is going to be the next RPG killer game.

I'll kick your ass if you mess with me!

Nintendo Network ID: WayTooCold123 | Twitter:

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic