Forums

Topic: Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Posts 1,781 to 1,800 of 12,088

CanisWolfred

Open World is one of the most misused gaming term since Action/Adventure...I'm very tempted to go on another rant about this, but at the end of the day, it's not really too much of an issue...so long as you don't say stupid $#!+ like Metroid being Open World when it is the exact opposite. Metroid is a very linear, confined game. The world is small, you progress in a set order by getting certain power-ups. That doesn't have to be a bad thing, since it gives you more things to do, a good sense of growth and frequent accomplishment, and you always have goals that the game gives to you (they just don't tell you what to do or how to get there, you have to figure that out on your own). It's just that that isn't Open World. An open world game has a large environment with lots of places to go and things you can do, but none of which is required for actual progression, if there's even an in-game goal you can progress.

And before you say anything, there are very few Open World games in the true sense of the term...that's why it's such a misused term.

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

LzWinky

I think open world games are quite overrated. Good, but not automatically amazing

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

Whydoievenbother

Gender-Biases for game genres (FPS games are for boys, Match-3 Games are for girls, etc.) don't exist.

"I'll take a potato chip... AND EAT IT!"
Light Yagami, Death Note
"Ah, the Breakfast Club soundtrack! I can't wait 'til I'm old enough to feel ways about stuff!"
Phillip J. Fry, Futurama

SkywardLink98

CanisWolfred wrote:

Metroid is a very linear, confined game. The world is small, you progress in a set order by getting certain power-ups.

While you do go from Point A to Point B, the only thing funneling you there is the progression of the main objective. I remember backtracking and exploring plenty in the Metroid games to find Energy Tanks. Open World may not have been the correct term in my original post, but if the game is ultra linear (Examples: The Last of Us, Uncharted, New Super Mario Bros.) I feel constricted and tend not to want to replay the game.

My SD Card with the game on it is just as physical as your cartridge with the game on it.
I love Nintendo, that's why I criticize them so harshly.

3DS Friend Code: 4296-3424-5332

CanisWolfred

SkywardLink98 wrote:

CanisWolfred wrote:

Metroid is a very linear, confined game. The world is small, you progress in a set order by getting certain power-ups.

While you do go from Point A to Point B, the only thing funneling you there is the progression of the main objective.

Which is not open world. Hell, in the most literal sense of the term (coming from games like Elite that the term was coined for) there shouldn't be a "main objective". Open world and intuitive design are not the same things.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

SkywardLink98

@CanisWolfred So games like Skyrim and Fallout are not open world because they have a main questline?

My SD Card with the game on it is just as physical as your cartridge with the game on it.

Jaz007

@Caniswolfred Wouldn't that also mean that a game like inFamous isn't open world? Which is definitally is.

Jaz007

sub12

Amiibo's, in the grander scheme of things, have probably failed. Instead of becoming insanely popular for children, borderline on a craze akin to Skylanders or Disney Infinity........they have instead become super desirable collectibles for Nintendo fans, most of which are not the inital demographic and are instead teen to 30-some year olds splurging money on what was suppose to be a toy line for kids and tweens.

Edited on by sub12

sub12

LzWinky

They sold/shipped 5.7 in a few months. That's not exactly a failure, is it?

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

Jaz007

sub12 wrote:

Amiibo's, in the grander scheme of things, have probably failed. Instead of becoming insanely popular for children, borderline on a craze akin to Skylanders or Disney Infinity........they have instead become super desirable collectibles for Nintendo fans, most of which are not the inital demographic and are instead teen to 30-some year olds splurging money on what was suppose to be a toy line for kids and tweens.

What's that matter to Nintendo if people still bought them though?

Edited on by Jaz007

Jaz007

CanisWolfred

@Jaz007 and Skywardlink - Pretty much. They're Sandbox games, which is very different and basically was most "open world" games should be called, but for some reason, the industry forgot about that term. Maybe because it was actually descriptive and not super vague so no one knows what they're talking about, themselves included?

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

iKhan

CanisWolfred wrote:

Open World is one of the most misused gaming term since Action/Adventure...I'm very tempted to go on another rant about this, but at the end of the day, it's not really too much of an issue...so long as you don't say stupid $#!+ like Metroid being Open World when it is the exact opposite. Metroid is a very linear, confined game. The world is small, you progress in a set order by getting certain power-ups. That doesn't have to be a bad thing, since it gives you more things to do, a good sense of growth and frequent accomplishment, and you always have goals that the game gives to you (they just don't tell you what to do or how to get there, you have to figure that out on your own). It's just that that isn't Open World. An open world game has a large environment with lots of places to go and things you can do, but none of which is required for actual progression, if there's even an in-game goal you can progress.

And before you say anything, there are very few Open World games in the true sense of the term...that's why it's such a misused term.

I think it's just a matter of difference in phrasing. A game can have an open world without being an open world game. I'd say an open world is just an overworld with large open space. On the other hand, an open world game is exactly what you described.

Twilight Princess and Tales of the Abyss have open worlds, but they are very very far away from being open-world games, as both have very little to do in the overworld. On the other hand, Spider-man 2 is an open world game, where a fundamental component is just going around exploring and fulfilling missions.

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

gcunit

Jaz007 wrote:

sub12 wrote:

What's that matter to Nintendo if people still bought them though?

I should think it matters because rather than attract new customers to the Nintendo world, it's just existing customers buying them up, preventing any sort of buzz building up with the kids.

Sure, Nintendo will be making a little bit of cash from the Amiibos, but only peanuts really, unless they bring with them new customers who then start buying into all the other Nintendo products.

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

CanisWolfred

iKhan wrote:

CanisWolfred wrote:

I think it's just a matter of difference in phrasing. A game can have an open world without being an open world game. I'd say an open world is just an overworld with large open space. On the other hand, an open world game is exactly what you described.

Wow, you are just taking this to whole other level.

Please stop.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Yoshi_Prime

I don't really mind if a game is "linear". That's never been a problem for me.

Yoshi_Prime

Jaz007

@Caniswolfred What are some open world games, and seen that barely aren't according to you?

Jaz007

DiscoDriver43

I honestly don't mind so-called "Movie" games. In fact, i enjoy some of these "movie" games more than "actual games" and vice versa.

http://www.backloggery.com/discodriver43

Recently watched films: The Martian

Currently playing: Max Payne

SkywardLink98

DiscoDriver43 wrote:

I honestly don't mind so-called "Movie" games. In fact, i enjoy some of these "movie" games more than "actual games" and vice versa.

The closest thing to a "movie-game" I've played would be The Walking Dead, The Last of Us, and Uncharted. If those count, then movie games are some of the best games.

BearHunger

I've always thought that open world meant specifically no loading times, like Jak & Daxter. Was I wrong?

Edited on by BearHunger

BearHunger

Nintendo Network ID: Bear_Hunger

Jaz007

BearHunger wrote:

I've always thought that open world meant specifically no loading times, like Jak & Daxter. Was I wrong?

Yeah, it's never meant that. I've never even heard of something defining it like that before to be honest.

Jaz007

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic