Forums

Topic: Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Posts 1,761 to 1,780 of 12,088

iKhan

I like glossy finishes. Sure the attract finger prints but they look slick and flashy. I wish my red 3DS had the flame-red color of the old Advance SP.

Matte finishes look bland.

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

Dave24

TingLz wrote:

shingi_70 wrote:

LightSuitGuy wrote:

I get more excited for Sonic games than Mario ones nowadays.

With Mario you can always expect a quality, 99/100, A+ game. Sometimes its a bit boring in that sense. With Sonic he tends to be on a see-saw in that regard, but in a way its more exciting.

Sure, following Rise of Lyric's release its been tough for the hedgehog over the past couple months; but its not like that with every game. Sonic recovered from the infamous '06 game, he can do the same with RoL; especially when you take into account that its a spin-off.

I'm looking forward to what the blue blur's next main series entry will be, whether good or bad in the end. The hype is always fun; and sometimes "lovingly" referred to as "The Sonic Cycle" by the interwebz.

Speaking of which:

Untitled

(I don't completely agree with this, but it does have some truth.)

Its been a few rough years you mean. Since Sonic 06 there's only been two games I would consider great in Colors and Generations. The rest are merely okay or are two lopsided with only half the game being good.

Comics is really the only avenue where sonic is consistent in high quality.

I love how that Mario Cycle poster is trying too hard to troll.

Just call it "the game cycle", because that's what it is. And yet there are people stupid enough to think that it's only mario/sonic

Dave24

Haywired

I don't really like E3. It's too much information all at once, to the point where it's kind of overwhelming and exhausting. Plus it tends to bring out the worst of fanboys as it's a time when they are at their most irritating and hyperbolic; "Oh my God! This is the single greatest day in human history! Nintendo just announced a new Kirby game for the first time in err... 12 months! I literally can't believe it! Nintendo FTW! Take that Sony and Microsoft!" etc...

Haywired

iKhan

As much as I respect Nintendo for often doing post-release content right, they have also done some pretty sleezy stuff that I'm not so privy to forget.

-Pretty much everything surrounding the release of Pokemon games (and certain design elements) is for the purpose of screwing over consumers and having maximum profit for Nintendo
-Hyrule Warriors DLC, which had a huge amount of pre-order bonus content that wasn't made generally available for months, and a ton of content released day 1 as DLC
-Codename Steam Amiibo support. This is basically on-disc DLC tied to an arbitrary piece of plastic. The fact that this is almost the same number of characters natively included in the game, I'd call this holding back a lot.
-There are more, but these are on my mind right now.

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

CaviarMeths

iKhan wrote:

Pretty much everything surrounding the release of Pokemon games (and certain design elements) is for the purpose of screwing over consumers and having maximum profit for Nintendo

Think you'll have to elaborate on that.

iKhan wrote:

Hyrule Warriors DLC, which had a huge amount of pre-order bonus content that wasn't made generally available for months, and a ton of content released day 1 as DLC

This is a straight up lie.

• The only pre-order bonus content were a few costumes for classic Zelda games. They were exclusive for a while because, you know, that's kind of the point of a pre-order bonus. They were recently released for less than a dollar.
  • The Day 1 DLC was free and had one extra mode and weapon. Hardly a "ton" of content.
  • You also didn't mention the fantastic value of the Season Pass or the additional free costumes for registering on CN.

iKhan wrote:

Codename Steam Amiibo support. This is basically on-disc DLC tied to an arbitrary piece of plastic. The fact that this is almost the same number of characters natively included in the game, I'd call this holding back a lot.

DLC tied to a real, tangible piece of collectable merchandise with incredibly high demand that also unlocks things in other games at no additional cost.

"Nintendo increases value of product already on the market, possibly already in your possession."
"Curses! Not again!"

Edited on by CaviarMeths

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

iKhan

CaviarMeths wrote:

iKhan wrote:

Pretty much everything surrounding the release of Pokemon games (and certain design elements) is for the purpose of screwing over consumers and having maximum profit for Nintendo

Think you'll have to elaborate on that.

Oh boy, where to begin.
1. There is only one save file per game. That's understandable on the GB with limit file space, not on the 3DS. The only reason that's done is to milk people to buy a second game
2. While the 2 version thing is understandable for the social aspect, the 3rd version is completely unnecessary, and really is just an excuse to get players to buy the same game twice.
3. Not updating X/Y to be compatible with new Megas, items, etc.
4. Event pokemon are literally on-disc DLC that you pay for with your time and/or convenience. The only benefit this grants to Nintendo is that it allows them to promote other games and help out their retail partners.

CaviarMeths wrote:

iKhan wrote:

Hyrule Warriors DLC, which had a huge amount of pre-order bonus content that wasn't made generally available for months, and a ton of content released day 1 as DLC

This is a straight up lie.

• The only pre-order bonus content were a few costumes for classic Zelda games. They were exclusive for a while because, you know, that's kind of the point of a pre-order bonus. They were recently released for less than a dollar.
  • The Day 1 DLC was free and had one extra mode and weapon. Hardly a "ton" of content.
  • You also didn't mention the fantastic value of the Season Pass or the additional free costumes for registering on CN.

Pre-order bonuses still aren't okay. My mistake on misreading articles on the rest of the DLC.

CaviarMeths wrote:

iKhan wrote:

Codename Steam Amiibo support. This is basically on-disc DLC tied to an arbitrary piece of plastic. The fact that this is almost the same number of characters natively included in the game, I'd call this holding back a lot.

DLC tied to a real, tangible piece of collectable merchandise with incredibly high demand that also unlocks things in other games at no additional cost.

"Nintendo increases value of product already on the market, possibly already in your possession."
"Curses! Not again!"

No, they aren't increasing the value of a product on the market, they are transplanting value from a game to a toy, such that you have to own both to get the full experience of both. If Amiibo didn't exist, Codename: Steam would either launch sooner or have additional content built in. Increasing the value of just the Amiibo would be what Smash Bros did, in that it added a feature that really is designed around the idea of an NFC figure anyway.

Geonjaha

iKhan wrote:

-Pretty much everything surrounding the release of Pokemon games (and certain design elements) is for the purpose of screwing over consumers and having maximum profit for Nintendo.

So much this. It's one of the reasons I stopped playing Pokémon games. It's like the whole series gets a 'get out of jail free' card for all its major issues simply because its so loved and nostalgic to many people. No doubt there will be people here to make excuses for all legitimate issues you name - many of which are quite unique to Pokémon games, and aren't really accepted in any others.

Edited on by Geonjaha

Geonjaha

3DS Friend Code: 2277-6645-7215

DiscoDriver43

Oh yeah. after playing some more Sonic Adventure 2 and watching it's cutscenes..Still have no idea how it is the so-called best Sonic game. Those awful Treasure hunting stages and the mediocre shooting stages should instantly disqualify it from best of anything, let alone best of Sonic.

Also, sonic fans tell me this has a great story apprently. Well, what "great" story involves an unexplained rocket in a pyramid, and Sonic using chaos control without even knowing how to, and lame stuff like fake chaos emeralds.

Edited on by DiscoDriver43

http://www.backloggery.com/discodriver43

Recently watched films: The Martian

Currently playing: Max Payne

kkslider5552000

DiscoDriver43 wrote:

Oh yeah. after playing some more Sonic Adventure 2 and watching it's cutscenes..Still have no idea how it is the so-called best Sonic game. Those awful Treasure hunting stages and the mediocre shooting stages should instantly disqualify it from best of anything, let alone best of Sonic.

Also, sonic fans tell me this has a great story apprently. Well, what "great" story involves an unexplained rocket in a pyramid, and Sonic using chaos control without even knowing how to, and lame stuff like fake chaos emeralds.

I dunno, what you're talking about. It's like the Star Fox 64 of the series, it's just brilliant cheese and fun. "THAT BLUE HEDGEHOG AGAIN OF ALL PLACES"

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

CaviarMeths

The long intros of Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, and Skyward Sword are all fun and interesting. The complaint that they take too long to get started is something that had never occurred to me before I started talking about games on the internet.

Edited on by CaviarMeths

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

Yoshi_Prime

kkslider5552000 wrote:

DiscoDriver43 wrote:

I dunno, what you're talking about. It's like the Star Fox 64 of the series, it's just brilliant cheese and fun. "THAT BLUE HEDGEHOG AGAIN OF ALL PLACES"

I'LL MAKE YOU EAT THOSE WORDS

Yoshi_Prime

SkywardLink98

I think most games would benefit from open world and a first person mode, I'd even try it in a 3D Mario

My SD Card with the game on it is just as physical as your cartridge with the game on it.
I love Nintendo, that's why I criticize them so harshly.

3DS Friend Code: 4296-3424-5332

Whydoievenbother

Those who say "If you buy used games you're a bad person." fail to realize how many franchises gained popularity through the means of buying a cheap copy of the original when a sequel is coming out or being told about it by a friend 2 years after it's release.

"I'll take a potato chip... AND EAT IT!"
Light Yagami, Death Note
"Ah, the Breakfast Club soundtrack! I can't wait 'til I'm old enough to feel ways about stuff!"
Phillip J. Fry, Futurama

AceDefective

MrMario02 wrote:

Those who say "If you buy used games you're a bad person." fail to realize how many franchises gained popularity through the means of buying a cheap copy of the original when a sequel is coming out or being told about it by a friend 2 years after it's release.

I get the "pirated games = bad" mentality (after all, you're getting a NEW copy for free when it was intended for profit), but used games? I mean, somebody had to already had to buy it at some point to be used meaning the devs got their money already. Not to mention it's one copy of a game being circulated that was already paid for, versus dumping the entire game for free on the internet for a bunch of people to get multiple copies of.

Just some random loser who loves a variety of things.
Youtube Channel | Deviant ART | YoYo Games account |

3DS Friend Code: 2079-6493-1326 | Nintendo Network ID: ZeroZX_Dev | Twitter:

kkslider5552000

SkywardLink98 wrote:

I think most games would benefit from open world

Not if you want consistent and quality level design or good pacing they wouldn't.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

CanisWolfred

SkywardLink98 wrote:

I think most games would benefit from open world and a first person mode, I'd even try it in a 3D Mario

Play Ratchet & Clank: Going Commando's First-Person mode, it'd probably give you a good sense of what it's like.

Just make sure you have a paper bag handy and keep sharp objects and power tools out of reach.

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Red_XIII

SkywardLink98 wrote:

Would the last of us, Bayonetta 2, Smash Bros U, or even Sonic the Hedgehog 2 have benefited from an open world?
Seriously, forced open world development drains money, and makes the level design and pacing less tight, not to mention the story. Only when a game is actively built around it and has the proper funds and time put into it can a good open world game be made.

Red_XIII

abbyking92

I hated Mario 64 on the n64. I tried really hard to like it but I really prefer the 2d side scrolling Marios!

Edited on by abbyking92

abbyking92

Twitter:

SkywardLink98

Red_XIII wrote:

SkywardLink98 wrote:

Would the last of us, Bayonetta 2, Smash Bros U, or even Sonic the Hedgehog 2 have benefited from an open world?
Seriously, forced open world development drains money, and makes the level design and pacing less tight, not to mention the story. Only when a game is actively built around it and has the proper funds and time put into it can a good open world game be made.

The Last of Us - Quite possibly. Open world doesn't mean the story would suffer, and frankly I found being funneled down a narrow tube was the most boring part of The Last of Us. The gameplay itself was good, great even, but I kept wanting to explore beyond the artificial bounds the game set for me. It wouldn't have to be as open world as a game like Skyrim, but it could have definitely elaborated more on its exploration .
Bayonetta 2 - Haven't played it.
Smash - Smash Bros is a fighting game, so it's one of the exceptions. Notice how I said most.
Sonic The Hedgehog 2 - I imagine it could be done well, I just don't think Sega could pull of an open world platformer. Metroid and Super Metroid were almost entirely open world and worked quite well.

Edited on by SkywardLink98

My SD Card with the game on it is just as physical as your cartridge with the game on it.
I love Nintendo, that's why I criticize them so harshly.

3DS Friend Code: 4296-3424-5332

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic