Forums

Topic: Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Posts 1,741 to 1,760 of 12,088

PanicPuppet

I get more excited for Sonic games than Mario ones nowadays.

With Mario you can always expect a quality, 99/100, A+ game. Sometimes its a bit boring in that sense. With Sonic he tends to be on a see-saw in that regard, but in a way its more exciting.

Sure, following Rise of Lyric's release its been tough for the hedgehog over the past couple months; but its not like that with every game. Sonic recovered from the infamous '06 game, he can do the same with RoL; especially when you take into account that its a spin-off.

I'm looking forward to what the blue blur's next main series entry will be, whether good or bad in the end. The hype is always fun; and sometimes "lovingly" referred to as "The Sonic Cycle" by the interwebz.

Speaking of which:

Untitled

(I don't completely agree with this, but it does have some truth.)

Edited on by PanicPuppet

PanicPuppet

iKhan

@LightSuitGuy

That diagram is completely wrong. Mario Kart Wii is the best the series has ever been at, and Super Paper Mario, while flawed, is one of my favorite Action-RPGs.

Usually, when a non-sports Mario game is released, it's hyped for, and it's good.

Now can we PLEASE stop talking about Sonic?

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

Ralizah

Mario Kart Wii was, aside from the first game, the worst entry in the series. I can't even enjoy playing it.

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

R_Champ

iKhan wrote:

@LightSuitGuy

That diagram is completely wrong. Mario Kart Wii is the best the series has ever been at, and Super Paper Mario, while flawed, is one of my favorite Action-RPGs.

Usually, when a non-sports Mario game is released, it's hyped for, and it's good.

Now can we PLEASE stop talking about Sonic?

I have no strong feelings for or against Sonic and his games.

It almost seems unpopular to neither love nor hate him...haha. Oops, sorry. I won't drag on the Sonic conversation.

Nintendo & Steam ID: R_Champ

ThePirateCaptain

DiscoGentleman wrote:

On that note, I feel like all sonic fans are fxxking stupid.

Thank you for that stereotype. Yes, I enjoy Sonic games, therefore I am stupid. Logic.

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze is the best game on the Wii U. It also has the best soundtrack of any game in the past 5 years.

ThePirateCaptain

3DS Friend Code: 3523-2096-8169 | Nintendo Network ID: Capn_Pancakes

CaviarMeths

The "Mario Cycle" is actually more like:

New Mario game announced -> It isn't Super Mario Galaxy 3 -> Mario fans start bawling like teething infants -> Game releases -> It's really good -> Mario fans still bawling.

Ralizah wrote:

Mario Kart Wii was, aside from the first game, the worst entry in the series. I can't even enjoy playing it.

Is this an unpopular opinion or a response to iKhan? Because Super Mario Kart is still one of my favorites in the series with the best battle mode.

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

iKhan

Ralizah wrote:

How so? Mechanically, it was one of the smoothest. It had by far the best character roster, the level design was terrific, and the bikes added a nicely unique way to race. The items were a bit OP, and the rubber band AI is the worst I've ever seen, but the former made races really exciting. Also, items are inherently an unbalanced thing, IMO, their point is to level the playing field.

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

BearHunger

LightSuitGuy wrote:

With Mario you can always expect a quality, 99/100, A+ game. Sometimes its a bit boring in that sense. With Sonic he tends to be on a see-saw in that regard, but in a way its more exciting.

Sure, following Rise of Lyric's release its been tough for the hedgehog over the past couple months; but its not like that with every game. Sonic recovered from the infamous '06 game, he can do the same with RoL; especially when you take into account that its a spin-off.

I'm looking forward to what the blue blur's next main series entry will be, whether good or bad in the end. The hype is always fun; and sometimes "lovingly" referred to as "The Sonic Cycle" by the interwebz.

I agree with all of this. Yeah, Mario games are better, more consistent, and more polished, but not as interesting. That wasn't true when Galaxy was released, but now compare Lost World to 3D World. Lost World takes a lot from Galaxy (and the canceled Sonic Crackers), but adds enough of its own stuff to differentiate itself from every other game. 3D World adds new level themes and some mechanics that weren't previously seen in Mario, but it still feels rooted in its predecessor 3D Land. It's not as much of a new experience.

BearHunger

Nintendo Network ID: Bear_Hunger

Yoshi_Prime

DiscoGentleman wrote:

On that note, I feel like all sonic fans are fxxking stupid.

I don't think that's unpopular.

Yoshi_Prime

shingi_70

LightSuitGuy wrote:

Speaking of which:

Untitled

Its been a few rough years you mean. Since Sonic 06 there's only been two games I would consider great in Colors and Generations. The rest are merely okay or are two lopsided with only half the game being good.

Comics is really the only avenue where sonic is consistent in high quality.

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

DiscoDriver43

Looking back at the wii, i think that alot of the times, motion controls hindered games rather than helped them. Super Mario Galaxy, Donkey Kong Country Returns etc.

Edited on by DiscoDriver43

http://www.backloggery.com/discodriver43

Recently watched films: The Martian

Currently playing: Max Payne

iKhan

DiscoDriver43 wrote:

Looking back at the wii, i think that alot of the times, motion controls hindered games rather than helped them. Super Mario Galaxy, Donkey Kong Country Returns etc.

I fail to see how motion controls hindered Mario Galaxy in any way whatsoever. The entire Star Bit mechanic would be clunky as hell without motion controls, and the spin attack would be pretty boring without motion controls

Edited on by iKhan

LzWinky

shingi_70 wrote:

LightSuitGuy wrote:

Speaking of which:

Untitled

Its been a few rough years you mean. Since Sonic 06 there's only been two games I would consider great in Colors and Generations. The rest are merely okay or are two lopsided with only half the game being good.

I love how that Mario Cycle poster is trying too hard to troll.

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

CanisWolfred

I don't think it's trying to "troll" so much as it's trying to mock the Sonic Cycle a bit while mostly mocking the hardcore Mario fans (anti-Mario fans?) who decry certain entries in the franchise despite mostly being well-liked by a lot of people. Seriously, even New Super Mario Bros. 2, which gets flak from a lot of the hardcore fans, seems to be adored by modern kids the way a lot of you guys played your Super Mario Bros. 3 or Super Mario 64s to death...

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Geonjaha

TingLz wrote:

shingi_70 wrote:

LightSuitGuy wrote:

Speaking of which:

Untitled

I love how that Mario Cycle poster is trying too hard to troll.

I know right? I've seen this kind of cycle for other things before, mostly Sonic, but it seems like it could be recycled for any franchise just to annoy people. The fact is that everyone overhypes games - it's not specific to any franchise, its just a general problem with the industry. cough people pre-ordering cough. Also, games getting scores you think they don't deserve? Lol, sounds salty more than anything.

Geonjaha

3DS Friend Code: 2277-6645-7215

kkslider5552000

CanisWolfred wrote:

I don't think it's trying to "troll" so much as it's trying to mock the Sonic Cycle a bit while mostly mocking the hardcore Mario fans (anti-Mario fans?) who decry certain entries in the franchise despite mostly being well-liked by a lot of people. Seriously, even New Super Mario Bros. 2, which gets flak from a lot of the hardcore fans, seems to be adored by modern kids the way a lot of you guys played your Super Mario Bros. 3 or Super Mario 64s to death...

As much as I loathe certain recent Mario titles in certain ways, I try to keep in mind that they are still ultimately fun games (if sometimes blatantly not as well designed). I will eternally be bitter at NSMBWii for showing just how awful the contrast can be between popular samey sequels and super creative high quality new IPs, but ultimately, it is still really good. ...at least as a multiplayer game.

Probably in the same way that I can acknowledge Gears of War is a really good game despite not liking it and hating what its popularity continually does to every 3rd person shooter.

Edited on by kkslider5552000

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

LzWinky

The Sonic cycle holds some water since some Sonic games are objectively awful while others are average

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

CanisWolfred

Yeah...I have to confess, New Super Mario Bros. Wii is the only one of the "New" line that I really don't like. I'm not huge fans of the rest, but I actually enjoyed them every time I play them. Especially the DS game. The only really real problem with it was that it was really "easy" for a verteran of the franchise, but since I haven't played Mario to death, the fact that I wasn't dying a lot made it more fun for me. It's the only Super Mario Bros. since the first game where I got past World 4 without cheating in some way...not much farther (World 5-2), but still. I haven't played New Super Mario Bros. U much, but again, it's a blast every time I play it, even if that one's actually challenging (I died a LOT and I'm only on World 3...). It feels very well-designed thus far and my deaths have always felt fair and unlike, NSMB Wii, where things felt too hectic for a solo player, I rarely feel overwhelmed.

I don't own New Super Mario Bros. 2, but I've played the in-store demoes of it about 5 times by now...I might give in and buy it soon...

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Kyloctopus

The Gamepad screen looks fine enough to see things on.

I know plenty of people say Nintendo fans aren't graphics freaks, but I've met plenty that straight-up refuse to play any game with off-tv mode. Unless you have a scratch on the screen, I have to ask "why?" Other than screen size, I don't think the TV screen looks that better to solely play on the TV.

Edited on by Kyloctopus

Kyloctopus

3DS Friend Code: 4897-5952-1236 | Nintendo Network ID: Kyloctopus | Twitter:

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic