Forums

Topic: Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Posts 1,641 to 1,660 of 12,088

CaviarMeths

SuperMalleo wrote:

If it was marketed properly, it would've sold much better than expected.

You could apply this sentence to most Nintendo products in the last 15 years.

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

SkywardLink98

SuperMalleo wrote:

EarthBound doesn't deserve its rarity. If people want to play it for the first time, it should cost as much as regular SNES game. Yes, it did sell poorly at launch, but i think everyone should be able to afford a copy that easily, including people who don't have a Wii U like me.

https://www.nintendolife.com/forums/wii_u_virtual_console/nint...

My SD Card with the game on it is just as physical as your cartridge with the game on it.
I love Nintendo, that's why I criticize them so harshly.

3DS Friend Code: 4296-3424-5332

SkywardLink98

It was totally fine for Steam to remove Hatred from greenlight. If Steam finds it objectionable then it is totally reasonable to remove it from your own store. It's one of Steam's rights to choose whether or not to sell a game and the people complaining about it being censored and banned aren't protecting free speech, they're removing Steam's right to choose the games they want to sell.

My SD Card with the game on it is just as physical as your cartridge with the game on it.
I love Nintendo, that's why I criticize them so harshly.

3DS Friend Code: 4296-3424-5332

ThePirateCaptain

SkywardLink98 wrote:

It was totally fine for Steam to remove Hatred from greenlight. If Steam finds it objectionable then it is totally reasonable to remove it from your own store. It's one of Steam's rights to choose whether or not to sell a game and the people complaining about it being censored and banned aren't protecting free speech, they're removing Steam's right to choose the games they want to sell.

I think the problem is more that they allow other controversial games on the store like GTA and Postal 2, so what makes Hatred worse than those? It's an interesting topic though.

ThePirateCaptain

3DS Friend Code: 3523-2096-8169 | Nintendo Network ID: Capn_Pancakes

unrandomsam

SkywardLink98 wrote:

Nobody can get Steam to do anything they don't want to do. (With the exception of entities like the EU).

It is absolutely laughable to think otherwise.

They looked at the facts and decided the decision was the wrong one. (Apparently Gabe Newell himself who is the only person who can override any other person).

“30fps Is Not a Good Artistic Decision, It's a Failure”
Freedom of the press is for those who happen to own one.

iKhan

SkywardLink98 wrote:

I don't see a problem with Valve choosing what they want on their store. I think the problem is more the people who put financial pressure on Valve to remove it.

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

GuardianKing

I'm going to get a lot of flak for this, but I don't think it should be a bad thing for a main character/lead character to be hot (this'll apply more to female MCs, since they tend to get this depiction a lot more than guys). Honestly, if a game doesn't try to be all up in your face with a main character that's skimpy looking as its main selling point, why does it matter? I feel like more and more people are shaming video-game characters for looking good, and I honestly don't understand why.

My Neopet.
NL RPG Season 2
DA Profile

3DS Friend Code: 5258-0260-8594 | Nintendo Network ID: GuardianKing | Twitter:

Yoshi_Prime

GuardianKing wrote:

I'm going to get a lot of flak for this, but I don't think it should be a bad thing for a main character/lead character to be hot (this'll apply more to female MCs, since they tend to get this depiction a lot more than guys). Honestly, if a game doesn't try to be all up in your face with a main character that's skimpy looking as its main selling point, why does it matter? I feel like more and more people are shaming video-game characters for looking good, and I honestly don't understand why.

There's not a good reason, but this might help.

Yoshi_Prime

CM30

The complaints about 'attractive' characters is kind of silly when well... the same type of individuals are the ones loved by Hollywood and the music industry. But hey, apparently it's bad that a game has most female characters looking one way, but not that near enough all big budget movies have their main female characters looking similar and less attractive actresses (and actors) being ignored.

It's just the video game equivalent of casting 'attractive' A listers for Hollywood films.

As for other unpopular opinions... how about this?

I think Wario Land 4 is better than just about every indie platformer ever made.

Try out Gaming Reinvented, my new gaming forum and website!
Also, if you're a Wario series fan, check out Wario Forums today! Your only place for Wario series discussion!
My 3DS Friend Code: 4983-5165-4...

Twitter:

RabidPikachu

Here I go:
Sonic the Hedgehog is better than Mario. He has a cooler design, better back story, better racing games, better RPG and the characters are deep while Mario is a shallow series that is the shame of popular gaming. You don't get much back story besides Peach being Bowser Jr.'s mom and that is a wtf moment that is randomly inserted for no reason what-so-ever. Mario is poorly designed and Bowser and other enemies are not scary like the chaos monster from Sonic Adventure. Plus the fact that EggMan/Robotnic actually is mentioned to turn innocent animals into vicious robot slaves that you must save gives meaning to defeating all those buzz bombers. Also mindless robot slaves from Sonic are scarier than Goomba's and Koopa's and Koopling's and all the sick cuteness that's Mario.

Now for Pokemon: Pokemon Hey You Pikachu is underrated, so is ORAS/XY. Pokemon Rumble Blast is a guilty plesure at best and no noob would use a timid Darkrai with perfect stats and shiny and I'm proud to use 6iv shinies uber and all. People who get mad about uber users should quit challanging me and rage quitting and noob/coward labeling. Besides I beat a Darkrai with a Victini sporting Glaciate and swept his team with one Pokemon and have my battle video to prove it so Darkrai can be beat if you know what you're doing.

3DS Friend code 4425-2142-6328

iKhan

Relative to the rest of the series, Ocarina of Time has one of the worst soundtracks. The half the dungeon music is devoid of overriding melodies. And some of the World themes literally hurt my ears (looking at you Kakariko and Kokiri Forest).

Twilight Princess pretty much does everything better in regards to music.

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

Haywired

I often find "epic" boss battles tiresome and irritating. They often drag on too long (how many different forms is this bloody thing going to morph into...?) and it sometimes feels like you're just in an occasionally interactive cut-scene, ie. just being lead from one pre-programmed high-spot to another. Also, I can never relax and enjoy an ending now because I always feel they're going to do a "Ooh you thought it was over, but it's not dead yet!" thing (which is now a worn-out cliché in itself). One of the reasons I love the NSMB games is their refreshingly simple, old-skool boss battles. You just have to jump on the boss' head 3 times using skill and reflexes. It's not some drawn-out glorified puzzle, just a nice, straight-forward fight.

Haywired

TeeJay

I think the sideways wiimote is a perfectly valid way to play Super Smash Bros.

If you add me, I need to at least know you or I won't add you back.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5283-4033-0929 | 3DS Friend Code: 2423-1923-3519 | Nintendo Network ID: TeeJay92

CanisWolfred

Decided to put this in the actual thread it belongs in. Like hell am I derailing a positive thread...

SuperMalleo wrote:

Metroid Prime Hunters is one of the most underrated games of all time.

It's main attraction was it's generic, poorly balanced balanced Multiplayer mode that very quickly got hacked and became an invisible snipe-fest. Maybe it had a better Singleplayer mode that it was given credit for, but as a Metroid game, it wasn't that great. It lacked the atmosphere and emphasis on exploration that the fans of that series normally looks for. As a shooter, it lacked the intensity and pacing that makes those games fun for most people. I suppose you could argue it's a great compromise, but I'd still say it's reputation befits it. It's not going to please a lot of people.

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Drobotic

TeeJay wrote:

I think the sideways wiimote is a perfectly valid way to play Super Smash Bros.

Yeah,it just takes time to learn.Heck,I used to dominate my friends with a Wii Remote and nunchuk in Brawl.

Currently playing:A little bit of everything :D
Fan of:Adventure Time,The Legend of Korra,The Amazing World of Gumball,Regular Show,Futurama,and gaming on handhelds,consoles,and the PC.

3DS Friend Code: 1332-8187-4581 | Nintendo Network ID: PSICadet

I-U

CanisWolfred wrote:

Decided to put this in the actual thread it belongs in. Like hell am I derailing a positive thread...

SuperMalleo wrote:

Metroid Prime Hunters is one of the most underrated games of all time.

It's main attraction was it's generic, poorly balanced balanced Multiplayer mode that very quickly got hacked and became an invisible snipe-fest. Maybe it had a better Singleplayer mode that it was given credit for, but as a Metroid game, it wasn't that great. It lacked the atmosphere and emphasis on exploration that the fans of that series normally looks for. As a shooter, it lacked the intensity and pacing that makes those games fun for most people. I suppose you could argue it's a great compromise, but I'd still say it's reputation befits it. It's not going to please a lot of people.

What kind of atmosphere are Metroid fans looking for? An atmosphere where they're facing Space Pirate forces, killing Metroids and exploring Chozo Ruins? To me, that's about all it lacks when comparing it to the better received titles. From my experience with the game though, I'm very glad that NST abandoned that content in favor of crafting the Alimbics, their cluster and that history. Not to mention, the rival interests of the bounty hunters and the backdrop their actions can create if the player is willing to go that far with the experience. I'll argue Metroid Prime Hunters as the deepest in the atmospheric department, but I've noticed from my time around Metroid communities that MPH is such a black sheep no one was really willing to dive into the game's backstory and get into the Alimbic Cluster they were exploring.

Exploration is the biggest joke in the Metroid Series. It's certainly there, but when a handful of entries make it a priority to have endings that reward player efficiency, I don't feel the notion of being isolated, wandering an alien world, is that central. It's there for players willing to get into it, and in that sense I do feel exploration is important for those who are not as willing to blaze through the titles. I don't think that's the main aspect Metroid's about though at all. I would agree that the collection side to Hunters, as far as getting expansions and energy tanks, is lighter than in other entries, but I'd argue that Hunters is far more open to players than it's given credit for. After the first Octolith is taken from Alinos, the player has options around as to how they can go about completing the mission. There's more there in this game at that moment as far as which major setting to go to than there is any mission on Zebes. If you decided the adventure here was throwaway, then you likely haven't gotten to experience the routes available in Hunters. I've completed the game 150+ times since 2009, and while it's not for everyone, MPH is certainly not the linear, repetitive mission a lot of fans want to turn it into. That's not even close to what MPH offers.

Edited on by I-U

"The secret to ultimate power lies in the Alimbic Cluster."

CanisWolfred

I really feel we're never talking about the same games every single time we talk about this subject. I'm just explaining that it couldn't be underrated when it never really could appeal to a large audience. Feel free to keep talking about how a game is supposedly superior to other games that were clearly made with different design priorities, while going on about how people "didn't get its story" as if people not wanting to get invested in its story isn't a bad sign for that game and/or story, though...

BTW, I've been rethinking what it means for a game to be "niche", I usually think of a game that would only appeal to a small group. But I think it's more about a game filling a specific need and appealing to a specific group. That group could be large or small, it's just that it doesn't have much for those going in for that specific thing. Like, I don't expect anyone to really go into Ace Attourney unless they were in it for the quirky characters and suspenseful (probably using the wrong word...) story. Or how Etrian Odyssey was a hordcore game meant to appeal for those looking for an old-school RPG approach with some modern updates and conveniences.

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

kkslider5552000

Niche and "not popular" being considered the same thing is a terrible, terrible idea.

...admittedly that's not an unpopular opinion as much as a thing most people don't even think about

Edited on by kkslider5552000

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

I-U

CanisWolfred wrote:

I really feel we're never talking about the same games every single time we talk about this subject.

It's a huge difference in experience. I've completed Metroid Prime Hunters so much and have invested 1,500+ hours overall into it. I almost always feel like two different games are being discussed. Take out the multiplayer comments and SuperMalleo's quote, and you almost got my opinion of Metroid Prime. Atmospherically, Metroid Prime is like a super model that's a great sight but couldn't hold an intelligent conversation. That's one of the reasons why I view that game as one of the worst entries in the series despite what Prime did for Metroid.

Edited on by I-U

I-U

@SuperMalleo:
Why call Metroid Prime Hunters one of the most underrated games of all time and then write off what it's able to offer due to the technology it released on? I got into Metroid with Metroid Prime Hunters, and then eventually went on to play the rest of the entries (aside from Prime Pinball). The rest of the Primes and Other M had the better tech with the GCN and Wii, but no Metroid game is as packed as Metroid Prime Hunters is and that's with it being a DS game, which only makes it that much more impressive. The rest of series, especially those released on better tech, couldn't meet the high standard my experience with MPH set.

Edit: Sorry for the double post, his comment was deleted.

Edited on by I-U

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic