Forums

Topic: Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Posts 1,421 to 1,440 of 12,088

creeprtrainer52

the microsoft company (everything they make) is overated x1000000000

creeprtrainer52

ThePirateCaptain

Let's see if I can stir up the fanboys with some of these

• Majora's Mask is the worst 3D Zelda game yet. The time mechanic was annoying and didn't create a sense of urgency, just more busywork. The focus on sidequests didn't make the fact that there were only four dungeons any better. The dunegons themselves are rather weak as well.
  • Super Paper Mario's gameplay is better than any other 2D Mario platformer. It made killing enemies much more engaging, as well as having some great puzzles and secrets in the levels. The Pixls are also better than the companions in the previous Paper Mario games. While we're on the topic of Paper Mario....
  • Paper Mario: Sticker Star is severely underrated and one of the best games on the 3DS. The amount of hate this game gets is ridiculous. I thought the level design was really clever, and it was a ton of fun to figure out what to do next since the game didn't really hold your hand either.
  • The Mario & Luigi series has the best turn-based combat of any RPG. Seriously, why don't more games have a combat system like this? It's actually engaging and you can avoid damage completely if you're skilled enough.
  • Retro's DKC games are miles better than the original trilogy by Rare. One simple reason, the level design. Retro has done an incredible job making each level unique and they actually stand out from each other.
  • FLUUD in Super Mario Sunshine is the best powerup in the series and needs to come back. The increased mobility makes playing through each area a blast because of how fun it is just to get around.
  • Gameplay wise, Mega Man X is far superior to the Classic series. If Capcom was to make another Mega Man game, it should be X9 rather than Mega Man 11.
  • SSX is the best sports series out there, and actually some of the best games period.
  • First Person Shooters are actually one of the best genres in gaming, even if this last generation has ruined it somewhat.
  • Prince of Persia is a way better series than Assassin's Creed, and needs to come back. Please Ubisoft, spare us the annual AC releases and give us Prince of Persia back.

ThePirateCaptain

3DS Friend Code: 3523-2096-8169 | Nintendo Network ID: Capn_Pancakes

iKhan

CapnPancakes wrote:

• Super Paper Mario's gameplay is better than any other 2D Mario platformer. It made killing enemies much more engaging, as well as having some great puzzles and secrets in the levels. The Pixls are also better than the companions in the previous Paper Mario games. While we're on the topic of Paper Mario....
  • FLUUD in Super Mario Sunshine is the best powerup in the series and needs to come back. The increased mobility makes playing through each area a blast because of how fun it is just to get around.

@CapnPancakes

Can I call you Fix-it Felix Jr.? Because you just earned a medal.

Super Paper Mario is a joy to play, I have more fun with it than I do New Super Mario Bros or Super Mario Bros 3. The mechanics are less slippery and you don't have to play twister with your fingers to simultaneously run, jump, and attack. Being able to do tricks and use Pixls really adds an extra dimension.

And yeah, FLUDD is awesome. I hope she gets a cameo in Splatoon.

Edited on by iKhan

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

CaviarMeths

@SuperMalleo Did you like the Avengers at all?

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

LaserdiscGal

@SpookyMeths does it matter, that's a movie opinion, not game opinion.

LaserdiscGal

3DS Friend Code: 0688-5519-2711 | My Nintendo: pokefraker | Nintendo Network ID: pokefraker

iKhan

SuperMalleo wrote:

Frozen is overrated.

Yep. I was just talking to my mom about this. Frozen has the same problems the other Disney Princess movies have. It relies on all the same annoying plot tropes like "love fixes something", "the events that lead to the main problem could be averted if one protagonist wasn't a total idiot", "No positive authority figure". Plus it has god awful pacing, and frankly uninspired villains. Little Mermaid falls for a lot of tropes too, but at least it featured a badass villain, had strong pacing, and came through with a lesson aside from the apparent magical qualities of kisses and love (the idea of how to have a stronger parent-child relationship).

All these awful tropes is what made Shrek so awesome, as it was an unapologetic parody of them.

And it's downright offensive how the movie gets so much praise when surrounded by:
Monsters University, Wreck-it Ralph, The LEGO Movie, Big Hero 6, and (though I haven't seen it) How To Train Your Dragon 2. All movies that are great stories in their own right (excluding HTTYD2, which I can't give judgement on)

Edited on by iKhan

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

iKhan

SuperMalleo wrote:

@SpookyMeths Only a little bit. But it's still mediocre compared to The Dark Knight or Watchmen.

@iKhan Get this: It's the the highest grossing animated movie of all time and the 3rd highest grossing movie in Japan, just behind Titanic and Spirited Away.

That's awful. Though I'll say Frozen deserves praise for 4 things:

1. Let it Go, it really is a great song
2. Do You Want to Build a Snowman is also really good
3. The voice acting is top notch
4. The animation, particularly the snow, is absolutely stunning. I'd say it's probably the best looking CGI thing I've ever seen.

Though we do need to get back on topic. So here's something that will get people riled up.

Many indie games are severely overpriced, some aren't even worth paying money for

Edited on by iKhan

LzWinky

CapnPancakes wrote:

Let's see if I can stir up the fanboys with some of these

• Majora's Mask is the worst 3D Zelda game yet. The time mechanic was annoying and didn't create a sense of urgency, just more busywork. The focus on sidequests didn't make the fact that there were only four dungeons any better. The dunegons themselves are rather weak as well.

The game is still good at telling a deceptively simple story.

I found SPM quite enjoyable...now if only the bosses were challenging

• Paper Mario: Sticker Star is severely underrated and one of the best games on the 3DS. The amount of hate this game gets is ridiculous. I thought the level design was really clever, and it was a ton of fun to figure out what to do next since the game didn't really hold your hand either.

Sticker Star is trash. It takes out so much that made the previous games so good. The characters were bland and terrible. The story and relationships were nonexistent and reduced to the usual "Bowser bad. Take Peach. Rawr". Put that in a 2D (not Paper of course) Mario, not a series known for creative ideas. While the stickers were a nice touch, the rest of the game was so awful that the stickers fell through. I shouldn't have to stop a boss fight to get something I'm missing in every damn fight. The final battle was enough for me to quit and hate the game. Heck the stickers were either so obvious or so obscure that there is no real satisfaction to beating the bosses...

• The Mario & Luigi series has the best turn-based combat of any RPG. Seriously, why don't more games have a combat system like this? It's actually engaging and you can avoid damage completely if you're skilled enough.

Agreed. I love the battle system.

• Retro's DKC games are miles better than the original trilogy by Rare. One simple reason, the level design. Retro has done an incredible job making each level unique and they actually stand out from each other.

Not to mention it looks a lot better. The original trilogy is so ugly

I really liked FLUDD myself. I had too much fun just playing around with it

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

LzWinky

iKhan wrote:

Many indie games are severely overpriced, some aren't even worth paying money for

I think games should be judged based on content, not whether they are downloaded or retail. I've seen too many complaints about certain games being too "expensive" because it's "a download game"

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

iKhan

WaLzgi wrote:

iKhan wrote:

I think games should be judged based on content, not whether they are downloaded or retail. I've seen too many complaints about certain games being too "expensive" because it's "a download game"

I agree. I mean that many indie games are overpriced for the content they offer. Weapon Shop De Omasse is a great example of this (though it's not really indie, it's just downloadable). The game offers an experience lesser or equal to many free online flash games. Plague Inc. is also another example of this. You can get what is basically the same game for free online in the form of Pandemic 2.

A game I think is priced perfectly is SteamWorld Dig. It's a great game, probably the second or third best game I bought this year, but it's not very large in scope or all that complex. So for 7-8 dollars, it seems pretty appropriately priced.

Kyloctopus

iKhan wrote:

I (partly) agree on this one. There are many indie games that play well, but they're $2-$8 more than what they should.
Shantae Risky's Revenge for example is a good platformer. Does Metroidvania elements well, it plays well and its well designed. However, it is not worth $12. It's more worth $5-$8
I recently got a game called Tetrobot and Co. for Wii U. While the game has levels that twist your brain and has alot of content, it's not worth the $11 asking price. It's also anywhere near $4-7
and finally, Shovel Knight. It's a well made game. But it's not worth the $15 asking price. It's more worth $10

Kyloctopus

3DS Friend Code: 4897-5952-1236 | Nintendo Network ID: Kyloctopus | Twitter:

LzWinky

It may be worth $15 when the DLC comes out

Ryu_Niiyama

Day 1 DLC is not a bad thing. Just means they got to work on extra content after the game went gold. Though I feel that LOCKED to disc DLC is evil.

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

kkslider5552000

Birthday_Boy wrote:

iKhan wrote:

I (partly) agree on this one. There are many indie games that play well, but they're $2-$8 more than what they should.
Shantae Risky's Revenge for example is a good platformer. Does Metroidvania elements well, it plays well and its well designed. However, it is not worth $12. It's more worth $5-$8
I recently got a game called Tetrobot and Co. for Wii U. While the game has levels that twist your brain and has alot of content, it's not worth the $11 asking price. It's also anywhere near $4-7
and finally, Shovel Knight. It's a well made game. But it's not worth the $15 asking price. It's more worth $10

Wrong. Unless you're implying even an above average retail game is 4X better.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

RR529

[quote=CapnPancakes][quote]

WaLzgi wrote:

Sticker Star is trash. It takes out so much that made the previous games so good. The characters were bland and terrible. The story and relationships were nonexistent and reduced to the usual "Bowser bad. Take Peach. Rawr". Put that in a 2D (not Paper of course) Mario, not a series known for creative ideas. While the stickers were a nice touch, the rest of the game was so awful that the stickers fell through. I shouldn't have to stop a boss fight to get something I'm missing in every damn fight. The final battle was enough for me to quit and hate the game. Heck the stickers were either so obvious or so obscure that there is no real satisfaction to beating the bosses...

I'm mixed on Sticker Star.

Yes, it's disappointing that the story was scaled back, and that there weren't really any unique characters. However, I felt that the game had enough redeemable qualities to somewhat offset that. They went all out with the papercraft aesthetic moreso than any game before (with all the little details, you can point out exactly what every object in the game is supposed to be made out of), which makes it the most pleasant game in the series to lay eyes upon, IMO (not to mention the 3D effect does wonders for the whole "pop-up book" feel). Also, I love how some of the areas (like the Yoshi Sphinx) feel like little Mario themed Zelda dungeons, with all the puzzle solving, rather than traditional RPG dungeons (which usually aren't as big on the puzzle aspect). I thought the sticker idea was unique, and added an extra layer of strategy to battles (and I appreciated that they tried going with something new again), though I admit that the idea could be improved upon (as for bosses, I actually only used a "thing" sticker on one of them, and managed to beat the others completely with normal inventory). My biggest issue with the game is the forest world, which I felt dragged on too long, but even that's a somewhat minor nitpik.

Overall (when it comes to first party 3DS offerings), I'd put it under Fire Emblem: Awakening, Zelda: OoT3D, and even KI:U, but slightly above SM3DL & MK7.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Kyloctopus

kkslider5552000 wrote:

Birthday_Boy wrote:

iKhan wrote:

Wrong. Unless you're implying even an above average retail game is 4X better.

In plenty of cases, yeah. These games are pretty short to begin with. I can beat Shantae in 3 hours, and I'm sure that can also be said for Shovel Knight. I can say that a retail game should at least keep me entertained for 20 hours.
Then there's production cost. Most Wii U retail titles have a good presentation compared to the indie games. I'm currently playing Resident Evil Revelations so I'll use that as a proper example of "Average Wii U Retail Title". Its a good looking Wii U title, enemy models look perfect, setting looks well done. Sometimes (just sometimes) graphics alone can set the difference between price.
But graphics are usually nothing without gameplay aspects, something Revelations as it has Raid Mode 12 Chapters of an interesting (albeit corny at times) story, the horror aspects and the different scenarios, of turret mission, to underwater escape.

It's not exactly that retail should be 4x better, but it should be 4x more impressive which in several cases, they are.

Edited on by Kyloctopus

Kyloctopus

3DS Friend Code: 4897-5952-1236 | Nintendo Network ID: Kyloctopus | Twitter:

CaviarMeths

SuperMalleo wrote:

@SpookyMeths Only a little bit. But it's still mediocre compared to The Dark Knight or Watchmen.

We'll have to agree to disagree on Watchmen, but I think you're mixing up the aggregate for the actual acclaim.

If you were to ask 10 people if they liked The Avengers, statistically, 9 of them would say yes. That's the aggregate, a 90% approval. None of them actually rated it though, so it can't be "overrated." By liking it "only a little bit," you're one of those 9, not the one that didn't.

The Avengers didn't win any major awards, it didn't appear on any professional critics "best of" list or anything like that, so I don't think it was particularly overrated.

Edited on by CaviarMeths

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

shaneoh

SpookyMeths wrote:

If you were to ask 10 people if they liked The Avengers, statistically, 9 of them would say yes.

Well if we're going on statistics; statistically 9 out of 10 people have a poor taste in movies.

But yeah wasn't a fan of watchmen

The Greatest love story ever, Rosie Love (part 33 done)
The collective noun for a group of lunatics is a forum. A forum of lunatics.
I'm belligerent, you were warned.

LzWinky

shaneoh wrote:

SpookyMeths wrote:

If you were to ask 10 people if they liked The Avengers, statistically, 9 of them would say yes.

Well if we're going on statistics; statistically 9 out of 10 people have a poor taste in movies.

But yeah wasn't a fan of watchmen

And 9 out of 10 people would say you have a poor taste in movies. Your point?

Yoshi_Prime

I don't remember if I said this over a month ago, but I think The Conduit is a darn fine shooter, not just "good for the Wii".

Yoshi_Prime

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic