Forums

Topic: Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Posts 1,401 to 1,420 of 12,088

Jaz007

For people saying Link isn't one person, so we could make Samus a guy if it got rebooted? I mean, they're technically different people right? Might as well change it for some reason.

CanisWolfred wrote:

What would it suffer? Seriously, what?

It would restrict what they could do to give a genre option or whatever. Everything would have to ignore gender. Skyward was a better story because of the romance. There were also smaller things that referenced gender in Skyward Sword. Small things in dialouge, and chatacter relationships that were kind of guy to guy if I remember correctly. I'd like to see them do something similar the next Zelda.

Jaz007

iKhan

Another batch:

Oh boy this is a doozy.

-Link's Awakening is my least favorite Zelda game. It's the only Zelda game that I feel is completely eclipsed by it's successors (being the Oracles), and I'm sorry, but the story wasn't impressive.
-Ballad of the Windfish is one of the worst pieces to ever appear in a video game
-Pokemon Black and White are by far the worst games in the series. The game is ridiculously linear, there is absolutely no challenge in gym puzzles or cave mazes, and, for the first few hours, the music actually hurt my ears. Also not a fan of unlimited TM use, as it kills the strategy in deciding who to use them for.
-Most games need a motion control option
-First-Person perspective is awful. With no peripheral vision, it falls into what is essentially the uncanny valley of visual perspectives. It should be avoided unless absolutely necessary.
-Most of the characters in Xenoblade Chronicles were boring and unimpressive. They are really just carried by the story.
-NHL Hitz Pro is one of the worst sports games ever, but the series origins in NHL Hitz 20-02 is one of the best sports games ever. The former just seems to completely forget what it is, focusing mostly on making the gameplay more realisitc. 20-02 knows EXACTLY what it is, and gives you loads of freedom to just screw around. If you want to make a team full of short, fat players with rat heads and completely lopsided stats, you can do that.

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

ThePirateCaptain

I honestly don't get the whole argument for Link being a girl. Why should they make him a girl, for gender equality? Unless they actually develop a story designed around the fact that Link is female, he should just stay as he is. To me it seems like people want it just for the sake of change.

As far as being able to choose from the beginning whether Link is a male or female, that idea is even worse. If you picked a female Link, then what is her motivation to rescue Zelda? Would Zelda be changed to a male, or would you rescue her simply because you're the "Hero of ___?" Say what you will about that, but having the hero rescue the princess from whatever evil force is what the series has always done and it works fine.

ThePirateCaptain

3DS Friend Code: 3523-2096-8169 | Nintendo Network ID: Capn_Pancakes

CanisWolfred

CapnPancakes wrote:

If you picked a female Link, then what is her motivation to rescue Zelda?

Same as it's always been: "she is a good person/friend that I have to save! It is my destiny and evil will take over otherwise, ruining the land!"

What more motivation do you need? Again, Link hardly ever explicitly "gets the girl", so I wouldn't say that was ever a motivation to begin with...

Jaz007 wrote:

For people saying Link isn't one person, so we could make Samus a guy if it got rebooted? I mean, they're technically different people right? Might as well change it for some reason.

CanisWolfred wrote:

What would it suffer? Seriously, what?

It would restrict what they could do to give a genre option or whatever. Everything would have to ignore gender. Skyward was a better story because of the romance. There were also smaller things that referenced gender in Skyward Sword. Small things in dialouge, and chatacter relationships that were kind of guy to guy if I remember correctly. I'd like to see them do something similar the next Zelda.

Have you never played both genders in a game that gives you the option? Those small things still exist, they just change depending on which gender you choose. If anything, it would open up more options to do different things and add replayability.

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Jaz007

@Caniswolfred I don't trust Nintendo to do a Bioware job on the matter. I also think they would scrap Link-Zelda romance if they had a gender option, considering it's a big part of the story.

Jaz007

CaviarMeths

Jaz007 wrote:

I also think they would scrap Link-Zelda romance if they had a gender option, considering it's a big part of the story.

...Have you ever played a Zelda game?

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

Ryu_Niiyama

CapnPancakes wrote:

I honestly don't get the whole argument for Link being a girl. Why should they make him a girl, for gender equality? Unless they actually develop a story designed around the fact that Link is female, he should just stay as he is. To me it seems like people want it just for the sake of change.

As far as being able to choose from the beginning whether Link is a male or female, that idea is even worse. If you picked a female Link, then what is her motivation to rescue Zelda? Would Zelda be changed to a male, or would you rescue her simply because you're the "Hero of ___?" Say what you will about that, but having the hero rescue the princess from whatever evil force is what the series has always done and it works fine.

There is no explicit romance in the zelda games (yes that includes skyward sword) it is still rather ambiguous. Especially since half the time Link and Zelda had no prior ties until Hyrule was threatened. Are they destined to work together to oppose ganon? yes, but they don't have to be lovers to do that. So the whole being the only ones that can stop ganon are big motivators (I say work together because zelda hasn't been a pure damsel in distress for a while, and she is quite powerful in her own right) that I feel are more important than some perceived romance. So either gender works fine for that. Also honestly if you want to be picky and you were adamant about the romance you can still offer a gender selection and maintain zelda's gender. Would cause just as much ruckus as making Link female in the first place based upon the reactions I keep seeing.

Personally I would like to see Ganondorf change appearance. If he is the embodiment of Demise's hatred why is he always male ? Or why is he always Gerudo? For the times that he has come back after being killed (not sealed or banished since it would make since for him to look the same since it is the same guy) I honestly thought that was where they were going with Cia, that she was a reincarnated ganondorf trying to reclaim the power of the triforce. I would think that unlike Link that is a reincarnation of the first Hero chosen by Hylia and Zelda who is the mortal reincarnation of Hylia (which i think would make their genders more defined from a storytelling perspective) if Ganon is bitter hatred incarnate and the source of monsters shouldn't that mean that any form is possible? No different than swords (Fi) wandering around talking to people.

I'd prefer a game about Impa honestly. I always find it odd that hyrule is just super peaceful until ganon turns it into a living nightmare when he shows up. shouldn't there be some signs or skirmishes or something?

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

Ryu_Niiyama

Jaz007 wrote:

@Caniswolfred I don't trust Nintendo to do a Bioware job on the matter. I also think they would scrap Link-Zelda romance if they had a gender option, considering it's a big part of the story.

What romance? Even skyward sword didn't come out and state anything. At best Hylia loved her chosen hero but that doesn't mean that their reincarnations have to feel the same beyond a strong tie.

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

LzWinky

There...was a romance? When did that happen?

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

Offolsense

There have been many. And many implied.

Offolsense

Jaz007

SpookyMeths wrote:

Jaz007 wrote:

I also think they would scrap Link-Zelda romance if they had a gender option, considering it's a big part of the story.

...Have you ever played a Zelda game?

I'm talking about Skyward Sword. I'd like to see more of it.
@Ryu_Niiyama I think it was strongly enough implied, it doesn't need to be explicitly stated. In fact, I'd argue good implying is better than explicitly stating it. I also want to see more of that, and would hate to see it restricted by something.

Jaz007

LzWinky

iKhan wrote:

Another batch:

Oh boy this is a doozy.

-Link's Awakening is my least favorite Zelda game. It's the only Zelda game that I feel is completely eclipsed by it's successors (being the Oracles), and I'm sorry, but the story wasn't impressive.

Get out

-Ballad of the Windfish is one of the worst pieces to ever appear in a video game

You're hurting me.

-Pokemon Black and White are by far the worst games in the series. The game is ridiculously linear, there is absolutely no challenge in gym puzzles or cave mazes, and, for the first few hours, the music actually hurt my ears. Also not a fan of unlimited TM use, as it kills the strategy in deciding who to use them for.

You are forgiven

However, the unlimited TM usage was a necessary addition. The fact that some of the best moves in the game can only be used once made the game too tedious.

-Most games need a motion control option

Maybe, but it depends on the game

-First-Person perspective is awful. With no peripheral vision, it falls into what is essentially the uncanny valley of visual perspectives. It should be avoided unless absolutely necessary.

Agreed

-Most of the characters in Xenoblade Chronicles were boring and unimpressive. They are really just carried by the story.

The game in general is a borefest. I don't see the appeal

-NHL Hitz Pro is one of the worst sports games ever, but the series origins in NHL Hitz 20-02 is one of the best sports games ever. The former just seems to completely forget what it is, focusing mostly on making the gameplay more realisitc. 20-02 knows EXACTLY what it is, and gives you loads of freedom to just screw around. If you want to make a team full of short, fat players with rat heads and completely lopsided stats, you can do that.

Never played it, so meh

Edited on by LzWinky

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

LaserdiscGal

Can we get back on topic, this isn't a "Zelda Romance Clarification thread"

I for one think that Super Mario Sunshine is the best Mario game, and Zelda 2 is far better than the first.

LaserdiscGal

3DS Friend Code: 0688-5519-2711 | My Nintendo: pokefraker | Nintendo Network ID: pokefraker

ThePirateCaptain

Pokefraker wrote:

Zelda 2 is far better than the first.

Give this man a standing ovation! I've never understood how you could like the original Zelda more than Zelda II, but I guess I'm just weird.

ThePirateCaptain

3DS Friend Code: 3523-2096-8169 | Nintendo Network ID: Capn_Pancakes

I-U

Retro Studios has made a better game with each release: Tropical Freeze > Returns > Corruption > Echoes > Prime, so I also think they're better handling Donkey Kong than they were with Metroid. I would personally like to see them do another Wii U DKC game than a Metroid Prime 4.

Edited on by I-U

"The secret to ultimate power lies in the Alimbic Cluster."

LzWinky

Metroid is a borefest and Samus is overrated

NintendoFan64

SuperMalleo wrote:

Frozen is overrated.

What else is new?

There is nothing here...except for the stuff I just typed...

3DS Friend Code: 5284-1716-7555 | Nintendo Network ID: michaelmcepic

JoyBoy

kkslider5552000 wrote:

WaLzgi wrote:

You have hurt many feelings... including Adams...

SW-7849-9887-2074

3DS Friend Code: 3754-7789-7523 | Nintendo Network ID: Longforgotten

kkslider5552000

Spanjard wrote:

kkslider5552000 wrote:

WaLzgi wrote:

You have hurt many feelings... including Adams...

He does not authorize these opinions.

Especially if you're female (HEYO!)...low hanging fruit?

Edited on by kkslider5552000

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic