Forums

Topic: Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Posts 1,061 to 1,080 of 12,088

DiscoDriver43

Here is probably another unpopular opinion: Website Game Critics like IGN or Gamespot should not be the judge of wither or not a game is good. Untitled and this is why. Oh and Battlefield 4, a severely broken game on release somehow managing to get scores of 80. seriously, i hate that game so much and this game getting good score as well. Untitled what with it's On-disk DLC BS, and Capcom not even considering fixing the x-box verison.

Edited on by DiscoDriver43

http://www.backloggery.com/discodriver43

Recently watched films: The Martian

Currently playing: Max Payne

CanisWolfred

Chrono_Cross wrote:

Close" isn't good enough. This isn't government work, you're saying something is a science. Prove it. I already provided my evidence - the dictionary. Where's yours?

The guy who hides behind the opinion game every time he can now wants to get involved in what is, or is not, proof.

http://www.metacritic.com/game

Close enough isn't good enough? The fact of the matter is, is that science in itself doesn't always have an immediate answer to everything. You think animal cruelty is horrible? Think of the plants you rip apart and the branches you break. The pain they feel.

Yet you refuse to explain why it is proof. How is it that averages compiled from dozens of sites, all of which have their own scales, many of which have wildly different interpretations depending on the individual in question, actually amount to an objective measure? You tell me: what is the difference between an 82% and an 83% when one of the numbers that makes up average A is a 7/10 review where the reviewer praised the game to the sun while Average B has a 7/10 review where the reviiewer damns it to hell? There is no standardization, and without one, it's just a compilation of opinions, with an average that gives you a hazey idea that a "thumbs up" or "thumbs down" would be better at conveying.

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

kkslider5552000

"Chrono Cross shipped 850,000 and 650,000 units in Japan and abroad respectively."

"As of January 2013, the game had shipped 6.6 million copies worldwide" - about Final Fantasy XIII

assuming we're talking about popularity still. I tl;dr for my own sanity.

Edited on by kkslider5552000

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

CaviarMeths

kkslider5552000 wrote:

assuming we're talking about popularity still.

I kinda just skimmed, but I'm pretty sure the argument is now about dictionaries.

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

kkslider5552000

CaviarMeths wrote:

kkslider5552000 wrote:

assuming we're talking about popularity still.

I kinda just skimmed, but I'm pretty sure the argument is now about dictionaries.

I would not be surprised if it was actually about chicken pot pie now.

Chrono_Cross

@Mickey Now you're exaggerating. No one would have a scale like either of those you mentioned.

You name the site that appears on Metacritic, it's credible. It's a touchy subject, no doubt, but like I said, it's the best we've got to objectivety regarding video games. If Call of Duty was mediocre, its ratings would not be in the late 80s, mid 90s range. Games can be judged from numerous different aspects. From its gameplay to its controls, it all counts.

It can be compared to its predecessors, its successors, even non-related franchises in the same genre. Accumulating numbers from averages is a well organized, efficient way to rate or, in this case, evaluate something. It's math, it's science. It's what we have to objectively glance at a video game and determine its quality. Yes, I would much rather cycle through non-gaming journalists every five or so years to keep it even more credible, but that's not the way it is, unfortunately.

Just for you.
"I'm just a musical prostitute, my dear." - Freddie Mercury

Chrono_Cross

kkslider5552000 wrote:

"Chrono Cross shipped 850,000 and 650,000 units in Japan and abroad respectively."

"As of January 2013, the game had shipped 6.6 million copies worldwide" - about Final Fantasy XIII

assuming we're talking about popularity still. I tl;dr for my own sanity.

Sales number are also a great way to determine quality.

Oh, and if you think I'm nostalgic over Chrono Cross like a deranged fanboy (assuming you're trying to get personal considering my username and you're comparing it to a different RPG hoping to get me riled up), you obviously don't know me well enough to try that.

Edited on by Chrono_Cross

Just for you.

CaviarMeths

Chrono_Cross wrote:

CaviarMeths wrote:

^ Psst everyone stopped caring yesterday.

Everyone who has an account on this site stopped caring yesterday?

Yes.

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

CanisWolfred

Chrono_Cross wrote:

No, he is not. This entire thread is subjective. That's why these are opinions. And believing false facts isn't a opinion. Saying you think something is boring is an opinion, but saying the world is flat is not an opinion. When people say COD is boring, that is an opinion, but saying every COD game is literally the exact same is not an opinion, because it is simply untrue.
Again, you are wrong.

Going by his and your logic, yes, the world being flat as a map can be an opinion. With enough ignorance, of course.

I'm kinda going on a tangent based on the above, as well as going back to the "Objectivity vs. Subjectivity" argument that I definitely was not done talking about from earlier in the thread. The whole "popularity" argument is a strawman that I don't want to deal with.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Chrono_Cross

CaviarMeths wrote:

Yes.

That's weird considering you posted that within twenty fours of our debate's first post.

Do you want me to buy you a watch? haha

Retro_on_theGo wrote:

I need a weekly podcast with CanisWolfred, Chrono_Cross, and kkslider[random numbers].

Why would you do that to me?

Edited on by Chrono_Cross

Just for you.

Oragami

@Chrono_Cross There is no use arguing with you. You obviously aren't going too see the facts (or the opinions, for that matter), so I'm done.

New PS4 owner
Yeah, guitars are cool.

My musical project Comet Tail made a couple of recordings.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0zUoWWO1v4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2evBddvrm2U

Oragami

Oragami wrote:

@Chrono_Cross There is no use arguing with you. You obviously aren't going too see the facts (or the opinions, for that matter), so I'm done.

I suggest everyone does the same

New PS4 owner
Yeah, guitars are cool.

CanisWolfred

Chrono_Cross wrote:

@Mickey Now you're exaggerating. No one would have a scale like either of those you mentioned.

You name the site that appears on Metacritic, it's credible. It's a touchy subject, no doubt, but like I said, it's the best we've got to objectivety regarding video games. If Call of Duty was mediocre, its ratings would not be in the late 80s, mid 90s range. Games can be judged from numerous different aspects. From its gameplay to its controls, it all counts.

It can be compared to its predecessors, its successors, even non-related franchises in the same genre. Accumulating numbers from averages is a well organized, efficient way to rate or, in this case, evaluate something. It's math, it's science. It's what we have to objectively glance at a video game and determine its quality. Yes, I would much rather cycle through non-gaming journalists every five or so years to keep it even more credible, but that's not the way it is, unfortunately.

First off, I wasn't exaggerating too much. I've seen games get 7/10 from different sites, and because of their different scoring systems, those numbers meant completely different things. I promise I'll provide proof in the morning (Gamespot and RPGFan will be the sites I'll be getting them from). That is the problem. That site takes an average set of numbers that have nothing to do with eachother to come up with the overall score. How are you able to discern quality from that?

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Dreamz

Memeboy3 wrote:

Disclaimer: This Topic is Formed of opinions that you will might not likely agree with...Please don't try to make arguments and i recommend leaving this topic if you are, Of what People call, ''Butthurt... you may leave to save yourself time. This is the topic where We Store our Opinions that a lot of People would've flamed us on ''Anywhere''. You may Express your Unpopular opinion...If you agree with some of these opinions...More power to you. Don't waste your time being angry. Good Day, Also....It's Just Someone Elses Opinion, They are entitled to theirs and I'm entitled to my Own Opinions. Good Day! :3

My 3rd Party Games List: Click here
U-Wishlist: Splatoon, Zelda U

Oragami

Dreamz wrote:

Memeboy3 wrote:

Disclaimer: This Topic is Formed of opinions that you will might not likely agree with...Please don't try to make arguments and i recommend leaving this topic if you are, Of what People call, ''Butthurt... you may leave to save yourself time. This is the topic where We Store our Opinions that a lot of People would've flamed us on ''Anywhere''. You may Express your Unpopular opinion...If you agree with some of these opinions...More power to you. Don't waste your time being angry. Good Day, Also....It's Just Someone Elses Opinion, They are entitled to theirs and I'm entitled to my Own Opinions. Good Day! :3

New PS4 owner
Yeah, guitars are cool.

shaneoh

Chrono_Cross wrote:

You think animal cruelty is horrible? Think of the plants you rip apart and the branches you break. The pain they feel.

You do realise that plants lack the nervous system required to feel pain? Exactly the same reason why cutting the umbilical cord doesn't hurt the baby, no nerves.

technotaylor98 wrote:

@shaneoh AWWW YEEEES. Lego City: Undercover remains #3 of my favorite games. It's simply an amazing game... I want a sequel very badly

Should have got GotY last year, I found it that good

The Greatest love story ever, Rosie Love (part 33 done)
The collective noun for a group of lunatics is a forum. A forum of lunatics.
I'm belligerent, you were warned.

kkslider5552000

Just for the sake of sane human beings, I felt I should clarify my point about Call of Duty. It was a super general thing, not meant to be definitive of even my opinion, and in general I didnt explain it. Basically, on average Call of Duty is fairly in the middle for an FPS. Some of them are better, some worse, but the best games are like maybe kinda close to the level of a truly great game, imo. And the worst just test my patience and go between mediocre and boring. I haven't played every COD so I don't want to say they're definitively mediocre even on average, but they at least don't do enough to justify their popularity nor their hatred.

So basically great game > best COD >>>>>> COD on average >>>>>>>>> worst COD > bad game

Edited on by kkslider5552000

CanisWolfred

@shaneoh There was actually some research on that, IIRC, and while they don't have "nerves" they do seem to react to damage, and even react when nearby plants get hurt. I'd have to look that up again, I forgot what they tested as the reaction...

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Chrono_Cross

We're talking about averages, not individual reviews.

I'm not sure why you're diving so deep in an attempt to prove me wrong. If the average of a game interests you for whatever reason and you come across that 7/10 on RPGfan, read the review. It's why it's there to begin with.

How are you able to discern quality from that?

How do you withhold the audacity to not feel concern for our planet's vegetation?

Just for you.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic