General Discussion Forum

Topic: Universal Recommendations Thread

Showing 621 to 640 of 1,718

AuthorMessage
Avatar

V8_Ninja

621. Posted:

@HolyMackerel I would actually buy Beyond Good & Evil, Fallout, and Myst except for the fact that I already have Beyond G&E on the GameCube, my family has a policy with games that are rated M (which I REALLY don't like), and that Myst is not really my thing. However, in my edited post I am also looking into Burnout Paradise since I'm a huge fan of Burnout 3. Would you recommend Burnout Paradise over Red Steel 2?

Thanks given to Xkhaoz for that one avatar.
A (Former) News Reporter/Opinionated Editorial Writer/Reviewer for Digitally Downloaded.net
My Backloggery, My Anime List, and My Blog
You can email me here.

AuthorMessage
Avatar

irken004

622. Posted:

HolyMackerel wrote:

Darklord is a great tower defense game, though it's a challenge to get through without buying any DLC. Which is what I'm trying to do. :) Crystal Defenders seem to have been received much worse in general than Darklord too.

I figured as much, but for what it's worth, R1 and R2 look decent.

Backloggery

AuthorMessage
Avatar

turtlelink

623. Posted:

irken004 wrote:

HolyMackerel wrote:

Darklord is a great tower defense game, though it's a challenge to get through without buying any DLC. Which is what I'm trying to do. :) Crystal Defenders seem to have been received much worse in general than Darklord too.

I figured as much, but for what it's worth, R1 and R2 look decent.

I would actually reccomend you get it on psp or something because its cheaper, and is portability. But yea, try out darklord (if you still have the demo) but i haven't tried it, so you should go read some reviews while your at it

TurtleLink's backloggery
Brawl FC: 4425-1340-4519
The Sister Complex Kingpin of Steel!

AuthorMessage
Avatar

HolyMackerel

624. Posted:

@V8 Ninja That's a shame because Fallout at that price is a huge huge steal and the game is fantastic. One of the best WRPGs ever. It's rated M but you can switch off violence and swearing... which just leaves the bleak backstory and somewhat gruesome-looking mutants. ;) Trust me though, the story itself is very intelligent, sophisticated and not gratuitous. Very much a thinking man's game (even the combat). And if you're 17 or over then you have every right to buy and play it.

I haven't played much of Burnout Paradise, only at a friend's place, but it's mostly a love-it-or-hate-it game it seems. I'm not a racing fan except for arcade/combat racers so I'm not the best one to judge. Personally I'd choose Red Steel 2 over it.

× steam

3DS Friend Code: 4098-3796-9042

AuthorMessage
Avatar

irken004

625. Posted:

turtlelink wrote:

But yea, try out darklord (if you still have the demo) but i haven't tried it, so you should go read some reviews while your at it

I've played through the demo, but I find the DLC to be too tempting to download :D

Edited on by irken004

Backloggery

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Luigi-La-Bouncy

626. Posted:

Thanks Mickey Mac. I think I'm gonna get Demons' Souls on import. I would get Mass Effect 2 but unfortunately it's not out on PS3 yet.

Also can you answer this question if possible: Of all the WRPGs you mentioned, which is the least sinister and gloomy?

Edited on by Luigi-La-Bouncy

Luigi-La-Bouncy

AuthorMessage
Avatar

CanisWolfred

627. Posted:

Luigi-La-Bouncy wrote:

Thanks Mickey Mac. I think I'm gonna get Demons' Souls on import. I would get Mass Effect 2 but unfortunately it's not out on PS3 yet.

Also can you answer this question if possible: Of all the WRPGs you mentioned, which is the least sinister and gloomy?

I think Sacred 2 is the only one that's not all doom and gloom, at least, not compared to the others. Fallout 3 is also less sinister and Gloomy than it looks.

Avid Fan of Anime, JRPGs, Webcomics, and Wolves
My Den - My door is always open....Too bad it's an empty closet.
My DeviantArt - I like to call it "the blank wall"

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi

Arooo~

AuthorMessage
Avatar

GamingAddict

628. Posted:

Hey, I am looking into two PS2 RPG's. Shin Megami Tensei : Persona 4 and Valkyrie Profile 2: Silmeria. Any thoughts on either one ?

GamingAddict

AuthorMessage
Avatar

CanisWolfred

629. Posted:

GamingAddict wrote:

Hey, I am looking into two PS2 RPG's. Shin Megami Tensei : Persona 4 and Valkyrie Profile 2: Silmeria. Any thoughts on either one ?

Persona 4 all the way. It's got a much better story, as well as gameplay that isn't nearly as convoluted as VP2's.

Avid Fan of Anime, JRPGs, Webcomics, and Wolves
My Den - My door is always open....Too bad it's an empty closet.
My DeviantArt - I like to call it "the blank wall"

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi

Arooo~

AuthorMessage
Avatar

GamingAddict

630. Posted:

@Mickeymac I took your advice. I ordered it off of Amazon. I watched some videos and Persona 4 sure looked a lot more interesting. Thanks !

GamingAddict

AuthorMessage
Avatar

HolyMackerel

631. Posted:

@GamingAddict I'd actually recommend P3F over P4 if you haven't played it. The story and characters are far better. Still don't discount VP2 though, it's a great game - but it doesn't compare to the SMT series. :)

× steam

3DS Friend Code: 4098-3796-9042

AuthorMessage
Avatar

turtlelink

632. Posted:

Should i get Fire emblem radiant dawn or path of radiance? I always wanted a Fire Emblem game, but never got one, so which should i get? (im also planning on getting shadow dragon)

TurtleLink's backloggery
Brawl FC: 4425-1340-4519
The Sister Complex Kingpin of Steel!

AuthorMessage
Avatar

CanisWolfred

633. Posted:

turtlelink wrote:

Should i get Fire emblem radiant dawn or path of radiance? I always wanted a Fire Emblem game, but never got one, so which should i get? (im also planning on getting shadow dragon)

Radiant Dawn is the Direct sequel to Path of Radiance, so I'd say you're better off playing PoR first, then RD.

Avid Fan of Anime, JRPGs, Webcomics, and Wolves
My Den - My door is always open....Too bad it's an empty closet.
My DeviantArt - I like to call it "the blank wall"

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi

Arooo~

AuthorMessage
Avatar

CanisWolfred

634. Posted:

Okay, two quick Q's:

I got No More Heroes 2 yesterday, but I don't have NMH1. Should I just play the game I already have, or should I wait until I get the first game and play through that?(or more likely just watch Youtube videos of it, since the gameplay in the first NMH looks and sounds terrible) I can't remember if No More Heroes 2 recaps the story, or just leaves you hanging...

Also, is it necessary to play the first Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner in order to play the second?(and I'm talking about the PS2 games with the stupidly long titles) Devil Summoner 2 seems interesting, but I really don't want to be confused throughout the story because I skipped the first game. (it lacks the Demon Negotiations, which is pretty much the only reason that I play this series)

Avid Fan of Anime, JRPGs, Webcomics, and Wolves
My Den - My door is always open....Too bad it's an empty closet.
My DeviantArt - I like to call it "the blank wall"

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi

Arooo~

AuthorMessage
Avatar

HolyMackerel

635. Posted:

@Mickeymac I haven't played either of the Devil Summoner games, but I have DS2 sitting on my shelf. My impression is that you don't need to have played the first one, even though it is a narrative predecessor. There are some references you won't get, but that's all. You get a few bonus items for loading the DS1 save file into DS2, but they're not necessary since their only worth is in selling them for Yen.

Though if you're a series completionist then by all means you should get it.

× steam

3DS Friend Code: 4098-3796-9042

AuthorMessage
Avatar

ShinRPGGamer

636. Posted:

I have 600 points left on my DSi and I want to download a 500 point game. What would you guys recommend?

Formerly known as the artist Gmls719

1st Champion of the NLife Bowl.
Team: GmlsDragoonersUnited

Wii FC: 4905 5217 4099 5072
3DSFC: 3582 - 8742 - 0524

AuthorMessage
Avatar

irken004

637. Posted:

Gmls719 wrote:

I have 600 points left on my DSi and I want to download a 500 point game. What would you guys recommend?

I enjoyed Fieldrunners. If you like tower-defense games, that would be a good choice.

Backloggery

AuthorMessage
Avatar

ShinRPGGamer

638. Posted:

irken004 wrote:

Gmls719 wrote:

I have 600 points left on my DSi and I want to download a 500 point game. What would you guys recommend?

I enjoyed Fieldrunners. If you like tower-defense games, that would be a good choice.

To be honest, I have been thinking about getting Fieldrunners, but the 2 tower-defense games I downloaded were pretty underwhelming so I'm a bit speculative on the quality of tower-defense games for the DSIware

Formerly known as the artist Gmls719

1st Champion of the NLife Bowl.
Team: GmlsDragoonersUnited

Wii FC: 4905 5217 4099 5072
3DSFC: 3582 - 8742 - 0524

AuthorMessage
Avatar

irken004

639. Posted:

Gmls719 wrote:

irken004 wrote:

Gmls719 wrote:

I have 600 points left on my DSi and I want to download a 500 point game. What would you guys recommend?

I enjoyed Fieldrunners. If you like tower-defense games, that would be a good choice.

To be honest, I have been thinking about getting Fieldrunners, but the 2 tower-defense games I downloaded were pretty underwhelming so I'm a bit speculative on the quality of tower-defense games for the DSIware

I have played Starship Patrol, and I seem to prefer Fieldrunners. It tends to have a better "tower defense" feeling than SP's, imo.

Edited on by irken004

Backloggery

AuthorMessage
Avatar

CanisWolfred

640. Posted:

HolyMackerel wrote:

@Mickeymac I haven't played either of the Devil Summoner games, but I have DS2 sitting on my shelf. My impression is that you don't need to have played the first one, even though it is a narrative predecessor. There are some references you won't get, but that's all. You get a few bonus items for loading the DS1 save file into DS2, but they're not necessary since their only worth is in selling them for Yen.

Though if you're a series completionist then by all means you should get it.

Well that's good. So long as I won't be totally and utterly confused, I'd be alright. Thanks.

Avid Fan of Anime, JRPGs, Webcomics, and Wolves
My Den - My door is always open....Too bad it's an empty closet.
My DeviantArt - I like to call it "the blank wall"

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi

Arooo~