Forums

Topic: Universal Recommendations Thread

Posts 1,661 to 1,680 of 1,991

Skip_Bayless

I have 2000 points and I want to get Majoras Mask and either Super Mario World or Super Mario RPG. Which one should I get? Thanks in advance.

I LOVE TIM TEBOW

3DS Friend Code: 3539-9493-5098

CanisWolfred

PugKing wrote:

I have 2000 points and I want to get Majoras Mask and either Super Mario World or Super Mario RPG. Which one should I get? Thanks in advance.

I'm not a fan of either game, but I think Super Mario RPG is a far better game mechanically, and it'll last you much longer than World simply by the virtue of being an RPG. At the very least, I think Super Mario World will come to the Wii U sooner than RPG, so if you have that or plan to get one soon, you might save yourself a 1.50 upgrade charge if you wait it out a little for Super Mario World.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

RR529

@PugKing, both are great choices, but I'd personally opt for Super Mario World.

SMW is still considered by some to be the best in the series, and it's easy to see why. It's top notch Mario platforming at it's finest, with a nice variety of environments, bold sprite graphics that hold up incredibly well, and there are tons of secrets & alternate paths to discover (seriously, there's a secret world within a secret world, and if you know where to go, you can get to the final level via alternate paths from world 2, lol). If I had one negative thing to say about it, it's that there is some boss repetition, but that's a small stain on an otherwise perfect game, IMO.

As for Super Mario RPG, it's a great game for sure, but it doesn't hold up quite as well as the former, IMO. Positively, it will last you longer than SMW. It's RPG battle system, while simple, is solid. There are some memorable characters, and there are some neat secrets & references (it has one of the most awesome hidden bosses in gaming, IMO). On the negative side of things, the graphics haven't aged gracefully at all (although the magic effects are still cool & unique), while still humorous, the story isn't as funny as later Mario RPGs (particularly the M&L series), and the few platforming sections simply don't hold up at all, bordering on irritating at times.

All in all, I'd give SMW a 10/10 (and a must own for any gamer, especially those who enjoy Nintendo games), while I'd give Super Mario RPG a very respectable 8/10. I'd say it should really come down to if you enjoy platformers or RPGs more.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

SavoirFaire

I picked up Darksiders II (I know, older game for Wii U) during a sale, and have to say I am really enjoying this game. I got it because it seemed to be a game I rarely saw for Wii U, and I know with THQ gone, it may be hard to find in the future. I am glad I took the chance on it. A little bit of Zelda, a little bit of Diablo, and what I thought was a little bit of God of War, until I remembered the Zelda games do often have pretty cool boss battles as well. This game is running a very solid 8/10 for me right now, and I am betting it will make it to 9/10 by the time I am done.

SavoirFaire

Nintendo Network ID: rdean1209

KittenKoder

I recommend the movie Big Ass Spider, if you like B movies. It's funny and off beat.

Friend list is full, I will be clearing room for Bravely Default soon though. Colors! 3D Gallery, My Blog
NNID: KittenKoder ..... what else would it be?

3DS Friend Code: 3497-0224-3414 | Nintendo Network ID: KittenKoder | Twitter:

SubBronze

Should I go for Final Fantasy VII or IV Complete Collection? There's a sale on PSN for most of the Final Fantasy games there that ends at midnight, but I can't make up my mind on which one to go for. I've already decided to get VI (I know the PS1 version is worse than the SNES and GBA ones, but its just the most convenient one for me to play on the Vita), and even though I have IV on the VC, I've only played about half of it and that was at least two years ago.

Edited on by SubBronze

SteamID: bulby1994

3DS Friend Code: 5112-3450-2144 | Nintendo Network ID: Bulbousaur

8BitSamurai

@Bulbousaur
VII. One of the best games of all time. IV is too, and I actually used to like it a tad more than VII until I got so many hours into VII. I don't get the "VII is overrated" thing at all TBH.

"rare download" Assistant

3DS Friend Code: 2320-6175-1689 | Nintendo Network ID: 8BitSamurai

unrandomsam

IV Complete Collection is miles better than VII (VII was when it first started to be watered down).

“30fps Is Not a Good Artistic Decision, It's a Failure”
Freedom of the press is for those who happen to own one.

puravik

Its not a game, but i really suggest everybody to watch Black Mirror tv-series - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2085059/
They are made in UK (cool humour) and talk about black sides of nowerdays technology. Really intrigueing i would say.

life is too short to remove USB safely

Lindemannade

@Neko_Chan
Yeah it got somewhat mixed reviews but The Mummy was a pretty big deal when I was... younger... ...well I feel old

Also funny fact, when Rachel Weisz (the actress in the poster) won her Oscar for The Constant Gardener the only other movies of hers the announcer mentioned were The Mummy and The Mummy Returns which sounded kind of awkward! Skip to 1:40 if anyone wants to take a look.

Edited on by Lindemannade

CanisWolfred

Hey guys, what game should I play?

Mega Man 7:
Untitled

Sly Cooper and The Thievius Racoonus:
Untitled

Jak & Daxter
Untitled

Wii Sports Resort:
Untitled

Final Fantasy VII:
Untitled

3D Dot Game Heroes:
Untitled

Metal Gear Solid:
Untitled

Chrono Cross:
Untitled

Earthbound
Untitled

The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky
Untitled

Please note I've played all of them before, but not recently.

I know no one's gonna answer like every time I ask this question in this thread, but Lz won't let me make a new thread.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Chrono_Cross

It depends. Mega Man 7 is one of the weaker entries in the franchise so you have many other Mega Man options. Sly Cooper is severely easy and brief, Jak & Daxter is an awful platformer (you can find better), and Wii Sports Resort is, well, Wii Sports.

So now you're left with the most overrated, aged Final Fantasy ever developed, Chrono Cross, and Metal Gear Solid. If you want to play what is arguably the best game on the PlayStation, buy Metal Gear Solid. If you liked Chrono Trigger, you're more than likely going to like Cross.

Just for you.
"I'm just a musical prostitute, my dear." - Freddie Mercury

8BitSamurai

@CanisWolfred
Final Fantasy VII. I really love that game to death, can't ever get enough of it. (And yeah, I know, this is the generic answer)

(And overrated game comments most likely incoming...)

Edited on by 8BitSamurai

RR529

I'll just repeat here, what I wrote in the closed thread:

I'd go with MGS, with a little bit of Wii Sports Resort (sword fighting & archery) on the side.

Edited on by RR529

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Tasuki

Well I wouldn't just play Wii Sports I would play that maybe in conjunction with one of the other games on your list. Since I only played a few of those games on that list (Mega Man 7, Earthbound. MGS, FFVII, and Chrono Cross) that leaves me with those choices I would have to chose MGS. But then again I didn't find FF VII or Chrono Cross enjoyable. If you are in an RPG mode I would suggest Earthbound over those two and as far as Mega Man 7 goes well unless you are in the mood for that game in particular you are better off playing one of the better games in that series. Usually when I get started on 7 I get about half way through it and then I end up going back to one of the other Mega Man games due to just how much better they are overall.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

8BitSamurai

Untitled

The Xbox is the perfect system out there for those of us who are annoyed by the constantly rising old-school game prices on most systems. The (huge) black box can be acquired for under $50. Just be warned, the system does require quite a bit of room. All of the systems are sturdy, but you should try to get a system with the Samsung drive or the Phillips if you can. The system has a hard drive, so no pesky memory cards to buy, and the (Slim) controller feels really nice in my hands, and is generally pretty useful other than the wonky d-pad.

The hardware is pretty rad, but the games is where it gets real. In 3 months, me and my brother have been able to get 30+ games for it dirt cheap. The game library is substantial to say the least, and many multi-plats actually were better on the system. MS even paid a ton to get some rad 1st party games and 3rd party exclusives on the system. Building a good library of games, irregardless of the games you like, should be extremely easy. Many games are available for under $5 or $10 complete and mint, and only a few ever go above the $20 mark. You can pretty easily find the games in pawn shops, thrift stores, used game shops, and the like, and the system is a practical haven for gamers on a budget.

Check out:

Games under $10

• Guilty Gear X2 # Reload
  • Soul Calibur 2
  • SSX 3
  • Jade Empire
  • Outrun 2
  • MechAssault
  • Midway Arcade Treasures compilations
  • Tecmo Classic Arcade
  • Fable
  • Jet Set Radio Future / SEGA GT 2002 disc

Games under $5

• Blood Wake
  • Doom 3
  • Links 2004
  • Rallisport Challenge 1 and Rallisport Challenge 2
  • Halo and Halo 2
  • Quantum Redshift
  • Forza Motorsport
  • Crimson Skies
  • Project Gotham Racing
  • Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance
  • Ninja Gaiden Black

A little more expensive

• Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic ($15-20, well worth it!)
  • Panzer Dragoon Orta ($10-15)

Kind of tired, might edit in some more later .

Edited on by 8BitSamurai

citizenerased

I can use some recommendations for the Playstation 3 (retail or PSN)

• preferably cheap
  • I like both blockbuster games and indie titles - since I know most blockbusters, I'd prefer suggestions like Outland or Journey
  • I really don't care for first person shooters, nor most third person shooters

My favourite titles are Guacamelee (gameplay), Red Dead Redemption (atmosphere) and AC II (atmosphere)

I'll also second @puravik 's recommendation: Black Mirror is one of the best shows on TV.

Mario Maker 2 level ID: L93-LYQ-YJF

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic