General Discussion Forum

Topic: Top Franchises that should Stop..Forever

Showing 81 to 100 of 135

AuthorMessage
Avatar

CrazyOtto

81. Posted:

For me, it already happened. I'm glad Activision finally quit making Guitar Hero games. I and II were the only good ones.

Rest in Peace ShiftyLook
I keep these Nintendo Life threads updated: Missing 3DS VC and Wii U VC between regions, Full of list first party Game Boy, Game Boy Color, and Game Gear games missing from the 3DS VC, and Full of list first party Game Boy Advance games missing from the Wii U VC.

3DS Friend Code: 4511-0465-7453 | Nintendo Network ID: MrSRArter

AuthorMessage
Avatar

triforcepower73

82. Posted:

Yeah I don't know about you, but where I live, more people seem to be converting over to Halo.

"The future doesn't belong to you!"

3DS Friend Code: 1246-9651-1758 | Nintendo Network ID: bryceybryce

AuthorMessage
Avatar

KittenKoder

83. Posted:

SMT4Protag wrote:

Final Fantasy. Just let it rest Square-Enix, you're changing it way to much.

Well, no, not the reason it needs to end. It's not changing well now, that's the reason it should end. The franchise's creator stated it should always be a different game, no direct sequels, that's the biggest change that screwed it all up. The first sign was when games started referencing past ones, even my favorite of the franchise did just that, but a few minor flaws can be overlooked if done well. Then .... 10 happened and it was clear the devs were struggling for story ideas, 7-9 was bland, 10 was just the "yeah, that happened" game. Then .... 12 breathed a small amount of hope back into the series. The story wasn't completely new, but the story took a twist on one of the classic stories, and the game's system was different, very different. Then .... 10-2 killed it, dead, it's over. FF is dead to me already.

Edited on by KittenKoder

Friend list is full, I will be clearing room for Bravely Default soon though. Colors! 3D Gallery, My Blog
NNID: KittenKoder ..... what else would it be?

3DS Friend Code: 3497-0224-3414 | Nintendo Network ID: KittenKoder | Twitter: KittenKoder

AuthorMessage
Avatar

WingedSnagret

84. Posted:

Captain_Balko wrote:

Call of Duty, but that's obvious. This is a personal one that I'll likely get a lot of hate for, but Grand Theft Auto. I for one am not interested in playing as a criminal in what is meant to be the modern world and shoot virtual grandmas and virtual police officers. That being said, the reason I really would like it to die isn't because of my personal preferences but rather because it actually sheds a very dark light on the gaming industry for non gamers. It's been used as an excuse for tons of shootings and whatnot (a poor excuse, of course) and I have to hear about how video games "sensationalize violence" and "twist children into psychopaths" and "brainwash you into wanting to kill John Lennon" and "cause people who play them to worship Satan" - you know, the basic result of ignorance. The worst part is, I'm just sitting there playing Mario Kart when one of my parents says, "You play too many video games, I read an article that says that video games encourage patricide and matricide, blah blah blah" all thanks to games that I'm not interested in playing that make people think that all games are inherently evil. And to be fair, if I didn't know much about video games and saw some kid playing GTA and shooting virtual old ladies in the face, I'd think that was pretty messed up. So I see where they're coming from, despite disagreeing, and wish that games like GTA didn't flaunt in their violence and disturbing nature.

I have to agree with your logic. The situation I find is very similar to that of the reptile/exotic animal hobby, which I'll use as another example. Most people who keep snakes, lizards, and other "less conventional" creatures as pets follow the rules and don't cause any trouble. But then you've got the select few who aquire dangerous species like vipers or lions. And the second something goes wrong, say a person dies from a venomous bite or a tiger is found running loose, then the government cracks down on people possessing anything remotely exotic even if the owners in question are doing nothing wrong. This exact thing has happened in my state (Ohio). About a year ago some guy purposely let loose his menagerie of animals (such as lions, tigers, bears, and others) at night before killing himself. Now a law in the state has passed that makes it illegal to own exotic animals, and those that already have them have to get a butt-load of permits to keep their pets. This all happened because of one foolish man.

Sorry for my droning, just want to get a point across.

Biggest Pikmin fan on NL!

Avian fact of the week: The Moa, an extinct relative of ostrichs and emus that inhabited New Zealand, was the tallest bird that ever lived at 12 ft tall (3.6 m). It was also the only known bird to have no wing structure.

3DS Friend Code: 4081-5821-0404 | Nintendo Network ID: WingedFish64

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Geonjaha

85. Posted:

WingedFish wrote:

Captain_Balko wrote:

Call of Duty, but that's obvious. This is a personal one that I'll likely get a lot of hate for, but Grand Theft Auto. I for one am not interested in playing as a criminal in what is meant to be the modern world and shoot virtual grandmas and virtual police officers. That being said, the reason I really would like it to die isn't because of my personal preferences but rather because it actually sheds a very dark light on the gaming industry for non gamers. It's been used as an excuse for tons of shootings and whatnot (a poor excuse, of course) and I have to hear about how video games "sensationalize violence" and "twist children into psychopaths" and "brainwash you into wanting to kill John Lennon" and "cause people who play them to worship Satan" - you know, the basic result of ignorance. The worst part is, I'm just sitting there playing Mario Kart when one of my parents says, "You play too many video games, I read an article that says that video games encourage patricide and matricide, blah blah blah" all thanks to games that I'm not interested in playing that make people think that all games are inherently evil. And to be fair, if I didn't know much about video games and saw some kid playing GTA and shooting virtual old ladies in the face, I'd think that was pretty messed up. So I see where they're coming from, despite disagreeing, and wish that games like GTA didn't flaunt in their violence and disturbing nature.

I have to agree with your logic. The situation I find is very similar to that of the reptile/exotic animal hobby, which I'll use as another example. Most people who keep snakes, lizards, and other "less conventional" creatures as pets follow the rules and don't cause any trouble. But then you've got the select few who aquire dangerous species like vipers or lions. And the second something goes wrong, say a person dies from a venomous bite or a tiger is found running loose, then the government cracks down on people possessing anything remotely exotic even if the owners in question are doing nothing wrong. This exact thing has happened in my state (Ohio). About a year ago some guy purposely let loose his menagerie of animals (such as lions, tigers, bears, and others) at night before killing himself. Now a law in the state has passed that makes it illegal to own exotic animals, and those that already have them have to get a butt-load of permits to keep their pets. This all happened because of one foolish man.

Except for the fact that there's no proof that video games cause people to become more violent, thus making the comparison moot. There will always be terrible things going on in the world, but the people who commit those crimes don't do so just because of a video game. It's as appropriate to blame television or even books for the way people act out in such ways. Games like GTA will of course be subject to criticism from the media. Eventually though we'll move past that phase just as books, and to a smaller extent, television has. Getting rid of such games doesn't solve the problem, it just holds back the media. I for one have no intention of playing a GTA game, but games like it shouldn't be removed from existence completely.

Edited on by Geonjaha

I make Pixel Art on occasion.

3DS Friend Code: 2277-6645-7215

AuthorMessage
Avatar

FishieFish

86. Posted:

Pokemon and Angry Birds.

Both are pretty much the same as the last game, but diffirent Birds/Pokemon.

Yep, you are all going to kill me.

"No one said you could touch."

AuthorMessage
Avatar

gregrout

87. Posted:

Anything Lord Of The Rings, Assassin's Creed, Fast & Furious, Angry Birds, Deal or No Deal, Harry Potter, Alvin and the Chipmunks, Multiplayer Only FPSs, Tycoon games, Petz, Barbie, WWE, Kidz Sports, Bratz, Pain Killer, Pac-man, Mortal Kombat, Just Sing, Cooking Mama... I'd also add any games with the words "ESPN". "Extreme" "Imagine" "Professional" or "Ultimate" in the title.

Edited on by gregrout

gregrout

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Bass_X0

88. Posted:

Lego games.

Edgey, Gumshoe, Godot, Sissel, Larry, then Mia, Franziska, Maggie, Kay and Lynne.

I'm throwing my money at the screen but nothing happens!

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Platypus101

89. Posted:

I have to agree with captain balko... Every time an idiot goes on a shooting spree in the states, they either claim ecstatically that they "love" those games or, police find a treasure trove of them in their home... Leading people to believe that video games are the problem. Also, at what point will sexual assault be a part of these games? Only thing they're missing, that, and the time in prison with unwanted same sex lovers.

Platypus101

AuthorMessage
Avatar

CanisWolfred

90. Posted:

I seriously don't see how getting rid of games like GTA would make perceptions of games any better. I mean, there are plenty of movies that glorify violence and crime just like GTA does, and I don't believe the levels of interactivity in games are at such a high level that it can actually influence a person's actions in the real world any more than movies do. At least, I've seen no evidence that it does. To me, it always looks like the news media is trying to find new demons to latch onto, and video games like GTA just happened to be one of those targets, just like Rock & roll and rap videos have been in the past. If they stopped making GTA, what's to stop them from targeting some other franchise? Mass Effect has gotten flogged an TV for having implied sex scenes (you know, like certain R rated movies) as well as same-sex couples. I really don't think it's ever going to stop.

Avid Fan of Anime, JRPGs, Webcomics, and Wolves
My Den - My door is always open....Too bad it's an empty closet.
My DeviantArt - I like to call it "the blank wall"

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi

Arooo~

AuthorMessage
Avatar

RevolverLink

91. Posted:

I honestly can't think of any. I mean, sure, there are plenty of franchises that I don't like, but I'm not so petty that I would tell other people what games they shouldn't be able to enjoy anymore.

"Can a man still be brave if he's afraid?" "That is the only time a man can be brave."
The Revloggery

3DS Friend Code: 4339-3392-1142 | Nintendo Network ID: RevolverLink

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Red_XIII

92. Posted:

The New Super Mario Bros/Mario 3D series must die. It is making Mario, previously the pinnacle of platforming, into casual homogenized-for-the-masses repetition, with multiplayer.
Also, I think the Lego and Angry Birds series are too repetitive, and the Assassin's Creed series should stop (It is danger of turning into CoD)
And to finish it off, Call of Duty. Its large influence on the industry is damaging AAA gaming severely, resulting in too much tacked-on multiplayer, and forced XP systems. That and their extreme unoriginality and mediocre single-player.

Red_XIII

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Sleepingmudkip

93. Posted:

Lego games are really good i dont understand why people bash on them...now i dont think any game need to go away i think they need new life breath into them.

Deluxe WII U

Limited Edition Pikachu 3DS

I Love Fire Emblem & Kid Icarus

3DS Friend Code: 3136-7674-9891 | Nintendo Network ID: lionel1 | Twitter: JohnGreenGod

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Red_XIII

94. Posted:

Sleepingmudkip wrote:

Lego games are really good i dont understand why people bash on them...now i dont think any game need to go away i think they need new life breath into them.

The problem is, there is no new life for them. They tried to reboot it in Lego City, and that is a fun game, but Lego gameplay needs to change, now.

Red_XIII

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Sleepingmudkip

95. Posted:

Red_XIII wrote:

Sleepingmudkip wrote:

Lego games are really good i dont understand why people bash on them...now i dont think any game need to go away i think they need new life breath into them.

The problem is, there is no new life for them. They tried to reboot it in Lego City, and that is a fun game, but Lego gameplay needs to change, now.

I hope lego marvel has new life because i pre-ordered it for the wii u

Deluxe WII U

Limited Edition Pikachu 3DS

I Love Fire Emblem & Kid Icarus

3DS Friend Code: 3136-7674-9891 | Nintendo Network ID: lionel1 | Twitter: JohnGreenGod

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Red_XIII

96. Posted:

@Sleepingmudkip
It sounds like it could be solid, but it isn't doing much to help my point that they are a bit lazy when developing these games.

Red_XIII

AuthorMessage
Avatar

shaneoh

97. Posted:

Sleepingmudkip wrote:

Red_XIII wrote:

Sleepingmudkip wrote:

Lego games are really good i dont understand why people bash on them...now i dont think any game need to go away i think they need new life breath into them.

The problem is, there is no new life for them. They tried to reboot it in Lego City, and that is a fun game, but Lego gameplay needs to change, now.

I hope lego marvel has new life because i pre-ordered it for the wii u

The gameplay has significantly changed since TT's LEGO Star Wars, it's gone from a level setup to open sandbox. While controlling the movement of a character is generally the same, the special abilities and how they need to be used to solve puzzles and navigate vary greatly between each game.

shaneoh

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Jaz007

98. Posted:

There is no way they can change the gameplay to justify 2-3 games a year. People complain about COD and AC being yearly, but Lego is worse than them in that respect. I'm surprised I've never seen this fact brought up.

Currently playing: KOTOR (PC), Prince of Persia. (the reboot on PS3), and inFamous: Second Son.
Backlog: Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective, Civilization 5: Gods and Kings, Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together, and Rune Factory 4.
I don't keep this thing updated at all so I'm abandoning it.

AuthorMessage
Avatar

CanisWolfred

99. Posted:

Red_XIII wrote:

The New Super Mario Bros/Mario 3D series must die. It is making Mario, previously the pinnacle of platforming, into casual homogenized-for-the-masses repetition, with multiplayer.
Also, I think the Lego and Angry Birds series are too repetitive, and the Assassin's Creed series should stop (It is danger of turning into CoD)
And to finish it off, Call of Duty. Its large influence on the industry is damaging AAA gaming severely, resulting in too much tacked-on multiplayer, and forced XP systems. That and their extreme unoriginality and mediocre single-player.

You know for a platformer, Mario's always been pretty casual stuff, right? I'm not a fan of the 2D series, but that last one was pretty good, and I know plenty of people who enjoyed even NSMB2 on the 3DS. Same with the 3D games. I mean I didn't like 3D Land, but there was potential, which 3D World seems ready to tap into.

The Lego games are doing fine...sort of. They really need to improve in some areas, but they seemed to have reached that point with City, at leadt from what I've seen. I don't see why they need to change a winning formula so long as they continue to improve said formula, even if it's it's just in small ways.

I'm not gonna lie, I'd love it if they gave us some space with Assassin's Creed, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't highly interested in AC4. Once again, it looks like they may be improving the formula...and who doesn't love Pirates? :P Unless they make the lead a Ninja in AC5, though, I can see that franchise getting stale really fast. I don't necessarily want it to end, but I would like it if they took a break, focused on something else, and then come back to it later with fresh ideas.

I won't get into Angry Birds, since I don't play those games, but it is a puzzle franchise, so long as they can come up with interesting new puzzles, they could easily keep that franchise going forever. I don't see why it should end any more than the Tetris franchise, simply for living up to the nature of its genre.

And lastly, Call of Duty...it's not a bad franchise. Perhaps an overhyped one, mind you, and sales are starting to go down. I won't argue whether or not it needs to die, but I do think that it's actually focus groups that are hurting AAA development, if only because they have a tendency to rely on a specific demographic (guess which one), and ask them questions expecting an honest opinion only to find out that in a public setting, people tend to answer such questions with whatever they feel is "correct" or will make them sound cooler. Granted COD is certainly a part of that problem, but I don't think it's the sole or even major source of why AAA games are becoming the way they are.

Avid Fan of Anime, JRPGs, Webcomics, and Wolves
My Den - My door is always open....Too bad it's an empty closet.
My DeviantArt - I like to call it "the blank wall"

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi

Arooo~

AuthorMessage
Avatar

kkslider5552000

100. Posted:

CanisWolfred wrote:

You know for a platformer, Mario's always been pretty casual stuff, right? I'm not a fan of the 2D series, but that last one was pretty good, and I know plenty of people who enjoyed even NSMB2 on the 3DS. Same with the 3D games. I mean I didn't like 3D Land, but there was potential, which 3D World seems ready to tap into.

I think the thing is for me, is that while I'm undecided on the 3D Land/World games, all the NSMB sequels were very clearly made because nostalgia makes money with far less interest in making a fun video game over making a successful product. Like when I can see that interest in making money specifically in the very product I'm buying, it genuinely hurts my enthusiasm with it. That's probably the only valid reason for a lot of the hatred towards certain modern popular gaming things tbh, and even half of that stuff isn't as bad as the NSMB games in that regard.

Edited on by kkslider5552000

3DS friend code: 2878 - 9709 - 5054
Nintendo Network ID: SliderGamer55

Cool link for cool people: http://forums.dctp.ws/