Forums

Topic: Thread of totally awesome Netflix Instant recommendations

Posts 881 to 900 of 1,051

ThePirateCaptain

@RR529
Just in case you weren't aware, Spartacus is coming to Netflix next month.

ThePirateCaptain

3DS Friend Code: 3523-2096-8169 | Nintendo Network ID: Capn_Pancakes

RR529

CapnPancakes wrote:

@RR529
Just in case you weren't aware, Spartacus is coming to Netflix next month.

Oh, that's cool. Thanks for the heads up.

They're really starting to get some good stuff as of late. Before, it seemed like the only two TV shows they had that interested me were Arrow & Heroes (though I'm a bit worn on the latter, since I watched the first two & a half seasons without a break), but with the recent additions of Marco Polo, Cosmos, some of the History Channel specials, and their upcoming stuff like Spartacus & their Marvel miniseries' (Daredevil, Iron Fist, ect.), it seems like there's almost too much to watch, as far as my tastes are concerned, lol.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

darkslayer11

Some tv shows i would reccomend are

24(the first five seasons are amazing)

Avatar the last airbender (this is my second favourite show ever beaten only by The Legend of Korra)

Prison Break

darkslayer11

Twitter:

WiiWareWave

If you're an adult and are looking for mature anime series I highly recommend Hunter X Hunter!

Owner of http://www.WiiWareWave.com

PSN ID: Rukiafan7
NNID: Rukiafan7
Switch FC: SW-6328-7327-5891 ~WiiWareWav~

Switch Friend Code: SW-6328-7327-5891 | Nintendo Network ID: Rukiafan7 | Twitter:

RR529

Just FYI, The Interview has been added.

My brother & I have been wanting to watch it, so this seems like the perfect time (I'll wait until he gets off work).

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

Tasuki

RR529 wrote:

My brother & I have been wanting to watch it, so this seems like the perfect time (I'll wait until he gets off work).

Yeaaah not a big fan of Seth Rogen and I am not going to see a movie just on principal. Even if this movie did come out in theaters I still wouldn't have seen it.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

RR529

Tasuki wrote:

RR529 wrote:

Yeaaah not a big fan of Seth Rogen and I am not going to see a movie just on principal. Even if this movie did come out in theaters I still wouldn't have seen it.

Yeah, my dad can't stand Rogen either, so I know he won't be watching it.

I don't think I've really watched anything with him in it before, so this'll be a first for me.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

CanisWolfred

My family just watched The Interview yesterday, actually. It was okay, according to them. Great at the beginning, good towards the end, but the middle was a slog for a solid hour.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Vaporman87

I actually found the short Korean animated series "Larva" to be pretty entertaining at times.

Celebrating Yesteryear One Memory At A Time : RetroDaze (www.retro-daze.com)

RR529

A little update:

The Interview - Watched this with my bro, and it was pretty decent I suppose. I felt they were a little lazy with the comedy at times (way too many instances of d*** jokes & f-bombs in lieu of clever writing), but there's also some genuinely funny moments (the part where Franco's character mistook Stalin as a mispronunciation of Stallone was hilarious). I also liked the theme in general (moking a communist regime), so overall I'd call it a win, though it wouldn't land in my list of favorite "mature" comedies.

Also, I'm deep into Marco Polo which has been good, have started up on Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey which has been interesting, and I even watched the first episode of How the States Got Their Shapes (just to sample it).

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

Tasuki

Been watching the History Channel's How the States Got Their Shapes and I did enjoy the first season of the show. I enjoyed the history of the states and learned some interesting stuff. The second season however was not so good. I guess with History Channel becoming more like the "Reality Channel" they changed the structure of the show for the second season and instead of being a documentary type show they changed it into some sort of game show reality show mix thing.

In other words watch the first season if you like US History and find something else to watch after that.

Edited on by Tasuki

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

RR529

Just a little update on what I've been watching:

I, Frankenstein - This was a pretty decent action flick. Pretty much it stars Frankenstein's monster, who in this tale survived the events of the original story, and even to this day he remains hunted by Hell sent demons who wish to know his secrets (that way they can destroy humanity with an army of reanimated beings), and Heaven sent gargoyles who wish to contain/kill him so the demons can't fulfil their plans. Now he decides it's time to stop running, and end this fight for good. The action is plentiful, the story does what it needs to do, and it has very competent CGI/special effects. It won't revolutionize your movie watching experience, but it's the perfect kind of movie to sit down to on a Saturday afternoon (as I did).

I've also been continuing to work my way through Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey & Marco Polo.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

ThePirateCaptain

I thought the concept of I, Frankenstein was pretty neat, but the film didn't quite live up to that potential. I'm not a movie critic by any means so I won't try to pick it apart, but it wasn't great, wasn't terrible.

ThePirateCaptain

3DS Friend Code: 3523-2096-8169 | Nintendo Network ID: Capn_Pancakes

RR529

@CanisWolfred, I'll have to agree with what the above poster said.

I don't know much about the original Frankenstein tale, other than the general, so it's likely that I, Frankenstein trampled all over the original idea(s) and just sort of passed by me (from my understanding, the original was simply more of a cautionary tale about humanity trying to play God, while this mixes in loads of fantasy). Taken by itself, it's a decent (if nothing fancy) action flick.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

RR529

A bit of an update on what I've been watching.

Bushido Man: Seven Deadly Battles - A low budget Japanese martial arts film. It actually started out pretty decent, but went downhill around the halfway point. It features a martial artist returning to his mountainside dojo to tell his sensei about his adventures across Japan (I should note, it takes place in modern day). The story isn't much, but it served as an adequate framing device to set up the lengthy & beautifully choreographed fight scenes (which never relyed on any hoaky special effects). While Kobe, Kyoto, Osaka, & Okinawa were portrayed as completely normal with nothing out of the ordinary, around the halfway point of the film he arrives in Yokohama, which in this film is a lawless nuclear wasteland, destroyed by a major earthquake. The instant change from completely normal settings to post apocalyptic is jarring, with his opponents here being more & more eccentric (they're still well choreographed, but with more hoaky special effects thrown in, to showcase their make believe weapons). It's almost as if it becomes a different movie halfway in.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

SkywardLink98

So I started watching Sword Art Online yesterday... and it wasn't terrible. Normally I'm not a fan of anime, but this was pretty good. It focuses on a bunch of people who are trapped in an MMO called Sword Art Online, and how they live their lives stuck in a video game. I also started watching The 100 this morning and it was pretty good too. In the distant future, humans left Earth due to radiation. Unfortunately, the ship they live on, the Arc, is failing and they need to evacuate. All those who commit a crime are executed, with the exception of those under 18. They end up sending 100 minors down to see if the planet can support life, and it looks to be a futuristic Lord of the Flies.

My SD Card with the game on it is just as physical as your cartridge with the game on it.
I love Nintendo, that's why I criticize them so harshly.

3DS Friend Code: 4296-3424-5332

WiiWareWave

Why am I so addicted to watching Property Brothers and Love it or List it?!

Owner of http://www.WiiWareWave.com

PSN ID: Rukiafan7
NNID: Rukiafan7
Switch FC: SW-6328-7327-5891 ~WiiWareWav~

Switch Friend Code: SW-6328-7327-5891 | Nintendo Network ID: Rukiafan7 | Twitter:

RR529

Time for an update on what I've been watching:

Mr. Peabody & Sherman - Watched this one with the family last Saturday, and while it wasn't bad, it wasn't particularly good either (which is pretty much how all Dreamworks stuff turns out, from what I can gather). I'm a sucker for time travel tales, so I enjoyed that aspect of it, but as per usual for Dreamworks, they put in a few too many fart/BO jokes for my preference. It just felt like it was missing "something", but I just don't know what that was.

RoboCop (2014) - This was a pretty worthwhile watch. The special effects were great, and really helped accentuate the action in the second half of the film. The only thing that holds it back is that it has two bad guys, and while there's lots of action in regards to minions, the story splits time between the two big villains, so there's no real big climactic battle with either (and it felt a bit rushed in regards to the latter one). That said, it was pretty good for an origin story, and I'd like to see sequels expand on everything. NOTE: I've never seen any of the original movies.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic