General Discussion Forum

Topic: Thread of totally awesome Netflix Instant recommendations

Showing 881 to 898 of 898

AuthorMessage

Dreamz

881. Posted:

The Craft - I saw this when I was a teenager, and it's stood the test of time. Definitely the quintessential witch flick. Remember, power corrupts, and absolute power makes you a crazy <censored>.

My 3rd Party Games List: Click here
U-Wishlist: Bayonetta, Splatoon, Zelda U
Currently playing: Wonderful101

AuthorMessage

RevolverLink

882. Posted:

Now that series 7 is up, I've decided to re-watch (new) Doctor Who from the beginning. It's been so long since I've given some of these earlier episodes my full attention - I often just have the show playing in the background while I'm doing other things - that I'm either noticing lines I don't remember or appreciating other aspects of the show in a new light. For instance, I have a newfound love for Mickey's arc from late-season 1 through season 2.

After all these years though, I still hate the way Mrs. Moore dies in "The Age of Steel". It's not so much that her death is cruel and almost pointless (those are nothing new for the show, and it's an especially common end for characters that are there for a single story), but there's just no way any of those loud, slow, clanky Cybermen should've been able to sneak behind her & the Doctor for an incredibly cheap stealth kill.

"Can a man still be brave if he's afraid?" "That is the only time a man can be brave."
The Revloggery

3DS Friend Code: 4339-3392-1142 | Nintendo Network ID: RevolverLink

AuthorMessage

RR529

883. Posted:

Got on again last night:

Machete Kills - The name really says it all. It's a purposely campy action flick with an over abundance of silly, over the top violence (at one point the main character, Machete, rips out an opponent's intestine and tosses it up into the rotating blade of a helicopter, which then pulls him up into it). It's nothing more or less than advertised, and would probably be a decent watch if you're in the mood for stupid action. (3/5 Stars)

Currently Playing:

Godzilla: Smash 3 (AND)
Summoners War: Sky Arena (AND)
Salvo Saga (AND)

AuthorMessage

Zizzy

884. Posted:

Anything in the Trailer Park Boys series. Literally the best show to come out of Canada, ever.

Don't let GameStop rip you off. Support used gaming and check out 99Gamers. Best trading service I've used.

3DS Friend Code: 4425-1585-6021 | Nintendo Network ID: Zizzy147

AuthorMessage

RR529

885. Posted:

Time for an update:

The Grandmaster - Very disappointing watch. At first, I was expecting this to be a western take on the story of Ip Man (which would have been interesting to compare to the 4 Chinese originals), but it was yet another Chinese film, and it was a series reboot, which felt really pointless, since the first of the original films is only like 5 or six years old). Other than that, the film just seemed badly made overall. Even watching in HD, the picture was about as dark as it could be, making it tough to see what was going on most of the time. Also, know when movies occasionally slow down the frame rate to be more dramatic? This movie overuses that to the extreme, even doing it when two characters are getting ready to sit down and TALK (the framerate seems to switch up like every other scene). There's also the fact that they tried fitting the story into one movie (instead of the original four), which made it feel rushed, but oddly slow at the same time (due to the filmmaking techniques used). I guess the martial arts action was still good, but you'll literally get 4X the amount if you go through the originals, and they're well made films to boot. (2/5 Stars)

Disney's Tarzan - It's been years since I last watched this, so I figured I'd give it a go. Oh goodness, no matter how many times I watch one of these 2D Disney films, I still can't get over how breathtaking they look in HD (moreso than almost any CGI film I can name). The movie itself was very enjoyable. Typical Disney stuff, which is never a bad thing (I liked spotting the references to their other cartoons, lol). (4/5 Stars)

Gladiator - I decided to go a bit outside of my usual zone (pure blockbuster popcorn flicks) and try out something a bit more critically acclaimed, so I picked this, seeing as how it seemed it could keep my interest theme wise. I'm glad I tried it out, because it was insanely good. The sense of scale was truely epic, the story was gripping (if sad at times), and when they got around to it, the action was great (though a bit bloody, so be warned). I thought that maybe it was a tad long, but other than that an amazing watch. (5/5 Stars)

Currently Playing:

Salvo Saga (AND)

AuthorMessage

Tasuki

886. Posted:

I saw both World War Z and The Raven the past few days on Netflix both of them were really good. The Raven was a great suspense movie and I was quite surprised by it. World War Z was a good action flick as well.

Pushsquare moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

AuthorMessage

RR529

887. Posted:

BTW, other than Disney's Hercules & Gladiator (which I've both watched), is there any other good ancient Roman or Greek themed movies (or TV shows) on the service?

Everything else I see either looks B-movie (The Eagle, for example), REALLY old (like 60's), or both...

Currently Playing:

Salvo Saga (AND)

AuthorMessage

RR529

888. Posted:

Forgot to update the other day.

Journey to the West - Chinese film based upon the famous novel of the same name. This was a really good watch. Action, adventure, romance, comedy, and a bit of horror, this one has something for everyone. They paint a beautiful and vibrant world with just the right mixture of stunning set pieces, amazingly crafted props, & CGI. The final confrontation is particularly awesome, even if they overestimated their CGI capability during this part (it's a few years behind what Hollywood has accomplished, and it shows), but that's a very minor gripe. The only real complaint I have is that the only subtitled option was Closed Captioned (meaning it also pointed out when someone was laughing, crying, yelling, etc.), but that was a small annoyance that I stopped noticing after awhile. If you like beautifully crafted fantasy adventures, I'd say this is a must watch. (4/5 Stars)

Currently Playing:

Salvo Saga (AND)

AuthorMessage

RR529

889. Posted:

Time for an update!

Centurion - During their invasion into the snowy north of Europe, a Roman army is betrayed by their local guide, and after they're slaughtered, it's up to the small force of survivors to make the dangerous trek through enemy territory back home. It's a bloody movie, but definitely worth a watch, especially if you're into ancient Roman stuff. (4/5 Stars)

Jet Li's Fearless - Chinese film about a martial artist who was bullied during his childhood, and vowed never to lose again. He worked his way up to be the best of his town, but his eagerness to fight instigates a tragedy that turns his life upside down. With foreign fighters now coming in and embarrassing Chinese martial artists, will he find a new determination to fight? Really great action, and a surprisingly poignant story. (4/5 Stars)

Also finished up Season 2, and started Season 3 of Heroes.

Currently Playing:

Salvo Saga (AND)

AuthorMessage

kingston589

890. Posted:

I dont know if anyone has mentioned Malcolm in the middle, but seriously watch it. Its like the best show ever. Great storytelling, great jokes, such qoutable lines, and its very relatable. And Byran Cranston. Pure Amazing 10/10

600+ games and counting.
Youtube: PlatTheFormer

Nintendo Network ID: kingston589

AuthorMessage

RR529

891. Posted:

Time for an update:

Disney's Treasure Planet - I remember liking this one when I first watched it as a kid, so I figured I'd give it another go. In the end, not quite as memorable as their 90's stuff, but it still looks beautiful, it's surely one of the more unique worlds spun by Disney, and overall still a fun movie. On another note, I'm surprised this hasn't made it into the Kingdom Hearts series yet, as it screams perfect fit. (4/5 Stars)

Also moving along in Heroes season 3.

Currently Playing:

Salvo Saga (AND)

AuthorMessage

RR529

892. Posted:

Time for an update!

Jumanji - Haven't watched this in years, but decided to watch it in memory of Robin William's passing. Man, it's hard to believe he's gone. Even if some of the special effects have aged, the film as a whole is still very enjoyable (5/5 Stars).

Young Detective Dee: Rise of the Sea Dragon - A Chinese film that's the prequel to Detective Dee: Mystery of the Phantom Flame. Just like the former film in the series, it's sort of like a Sherlock Holmes style mystery set in ancient China, with some over the top martial arts, supernatural elements, and surprisingly good special effects thrown in (4/5 Stars).

The Eagle - Like Centurion, this is a film centered around the struggles of the Roman Empire as they tried invading the frozen north of Britain. Actually, I'd watch Centurion first, since this one follows the story of the son of Centurion's main character (the films aren't officially related, but they're both based on the same historical event). It's not a must watch, but if you're into the genre, it's a worthy watch (3/5 Stars).

Currently Playing:

Salvo Saga (AND)

AuthorMessage

Tasuki

893. Posted:

The Tim Burton Batman movies are on Netflix, Batman and Batman Returns. Classic Batman action at its best. Probably two of the best Batman movies to date.

Pushsquare moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

AuthorMessage

Platypus

894. Posted:

The Rocketeer, Seven, Total Recall, Galaxy Quest and Django Unchained have all been added recently. I recommend them all

Wii code: 3761-1403-5495-2750PSN ID: Nintendodude686
Steam Community ID; Platypus

AuthorMessage

SkywardLink98

895. Posted:

Arrow (Season 1 and 2) is on Netflix instant streaming as is really good. The first couple episodes were okay at best, but it gets better. I highly recommend it.

There are no stupid questions, except for the ones that are.
Bergmite, Piloswine and Snover safari.
I love Nintendo, that's why I criticize them so harshly.

3DS Friend Code: 4296-3424-5332

AuthorMessage

RR529

896. Posted:

Haven't watched in a couple months because our HDMI cable has been throwing fits whenever we try putting it in the PS3, but I finally got around to downloading the app to my tablet, and since I once again have the capability to watch HD content, I'll start watching again.

Currently Playing:

Salvo Saga (AND)

AuthorMessage

Pokefraker

897. Posted:

Bojack Horseman is a really clever adult animated Netflix Original comedy, that really grows on you.

That, and it's super funny.

I'm here to chew bubblegum and post comments, and I'm all out of bubblegum.

3DS Friend Code: 0688-5519-2711 | Nintendo Network ID: pokefraker | Twitter: fleamarketmovie

AuthorMessage

RR529

898. Posted:

Time for an update:

• Sky Captain & the World of Tomorrow - This movie is pretty much a homage to the pulp B-movie sci-fi flicks of the 30's & 40's. It's set in the 1930's, and when a bunch of German scientists go missing, it's up to reporter Polly Perkins to find out what's going on. After New York is devastated by an army of giant killer robots, it's up to her & the "Sky Captain" (who has a fighter plane rigged up with a bunch of other high tech gadgets, by 30's standards) to go on a globe trotting adventure to find the mad scientist behind it all. It features all sorts of campy 30's sci-fi aspects (including the various robots with that old fashioned "tin can" look), but created with top of the line special effects (for 2003, at least), and a surprisingly big name cast (including Jude Law, Gwenith Paltrow, and Angelina Jolie). It definitely has a niche appeal, but it's a pretty fun ride if it sounds like something you'd be interested in. (3/5 Stars)
  • The Blind Swordsman: Zatoichi - Japanese film set in a small farming village sometime in the 1800's. Life is hard for the poor villagers of this town, as they live under the iron boot of the local Yakuza, but change will soon be coming when a blind masseuse (with killer sword instinct) just looking for some peace, a destitute ronin looking for work, and two mysterious geisha looking for revenge decend upon the village. What comes next is a tale filled with intense drama, violent action, some political intrigue, and comic relief at just the right moments. It's definitely worth a look if you're into Japanese period pieces. (5/5 Stars)

I've also started up on season 2 of Arrow.

Currently Playing:

Salvo Saga (AND)