Forums

Topic: Thread of totally awesome Netflix Instant recommendations

Posts 861 to 880 of 1,051

RR529

BTW, other than Disney's Hercules & Gladiator (which I've both watched), is there any other good ancient Roman or Greek themed movies (or TV shows) on the service?

Everything else I see either looks B-movie (The Eagle, for example), REALLY old (like 60's), or both...

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

RR529

Forgot to update the other day.

Journey to the West - Chinese film based upon the famous novel of the same name. This was a really good watch. Action, adventure, romance, comedy, and a bit of horror, this one has something for everyone. They paint a beautiful and vibrant world with just the right mixture of stunning set pieces, amazingly crafted props, & CGI. The final confrontation is particularly awesome, even if they overestimated their CGI capability during this part (it's a few years behind what Hollywood has accomplished, and it shows), but that's a very minor gripe. The only real complaint I have is that the only subtitled option was Closed Captioned (meaning it also pointed out when someone was laughing, crying, yelling, etc.), but that was a small annoyance that I stopped noticing after awhile. If you like beautifully crafted fantasy adventures, I'd say this is a must watch. (4/5 Stars)

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

RR529

Time for an update!

Centurion - During their invasion into the snowy north of Europe, a Roman army is betrayed by their local guide, and after they're slaughtered, it's up to the small force of survivors to make the dangerous trek through enemy territory back home. It's a bloody movie, but definitely worth a watch, especially if you're into ancient Roman stuff. (4/5 Stars)

Jet Li's Fearless - Chinese film about a martial artist who was bullied during his childhood, and vowed never to lose again. He worked his way up to be the best of his town, but his eagerness to fight instigates a tragedy that turns his life upside down. With foreign fighters now coming in and embarrassing Chinese martial artists, will he find a new determination to fight? Really great action, and a surprisingly poignant story. (4/5 Stars)

Also finished up Season 2, and started Season 3 of Heroes.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

kingston589

I dont know if anyone has mentioned Malcolm in the middle, but seriously watch it. Its like the best show ever. Great storytelling, great jokes, such qoutable lines, and its very relatable. And Byran Cranston. Pure Amazing 10/10

Currently Playing: Smash Bros, Ducktales Remastered and Bayou Billy
Youtube: PlatTheFormer
Steam: PlatTheFormer

Nintendo Network ID: kingston589

RR529

Time for an update:

Disney's Treasure Planet - I remember liking this one when I first watched it as a kid, so I figured I'd give it another go. In the end, not quite as memorable as their 90's stuff, but it still looks beautiful, it's surely one of the more unique worlds spun by Disney, and overall still a fun movie. On another note, I'm surprised this hasn't made it into the Kingdom Hearts series yet, as it screams perfect fit. (4/5 Stars)

Also moving along in Heroes season 3.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

RR529

Time for an update!

Jumanji - Haven't watched this in years, but decided to watch it in memory of Robin William's passing. Man, it's hard to believe he's gone. Even if some of the special effects have aged, the film as a whole is still very enjoyable (5/5 Stars).

Young Detective Dee: Rise of the Sea Dragon - A Chinese film that's the prequel to Detective Dee: Mystery of the Phantom Flame. Just like the former film in the series, it's sort of like a Sherlock Holmes style mystery set in ancient China, with some over the top martial arts, supernatural elements, and surprisingly good special effects thrown in (4/5 Stars).

The Eagle - Like Centurion, this is a film centered around the struggles of the Roman Empire as they tried invading the frozen north of Britain. Actually, I'd watch Centurion first, since this one follows the story of the son of Centurion's main character (the films aren't officially related, but they're both based on the same historical event). It's not a must watch, but if you're into the genre, it's a worthy watch (3/5 Stars).

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

Tasuki

The Tim Burton Batman movies are on Netflix, Batman and Batman Returns. Classic Batman action at its best. Probably two of the best Batman movies to date.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

Platypus

The Rocketeer, Seven, Total Recall, Galaxy Quest and Django Unchained have all been added recently. I recommend them all

Wii code: 3761-1403-5495-2750PSN ID: Nintendodude686
Steam Community ID; Platypus

SkywardLink98

Arrow (Season 1 and 2) is on Netflix instant streaming as is really good. The first couple episodes were okay at best, but it gets better. I highly recommend it.

My SD Card with the game on it is just as physical as your cartridge with the game on it.
I love Nintendo, that's why I criticize them so harshly.

3DS Friend Code: 4296-3424-5332

RR529

Haven't watched in a couple months because our HDMI cable has been throwing fits whenever we try putting it in the PS3, but I finally got around to downloading the app to my tablet, and since I once again have the capability to watch HD content, I'll start watching again.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

LaserdiscGal

Bojack Horseman is a really clever adult animated Netflix Original comedy, that really grows on you.

That, and it's super funny.

LaserdiscGal

3DS Friend Code: 0688-5519-2711 | My Nintendo: pokefraker | Nintendo Network ID: pokefraker

RR529

Time for an update:

• Sky Captain & the World of Tomorrow - This movie is pretty much a homage to the pulp B-movie sci-fi flicks of the 30's & 40's. It's set in the 1930's, and when a bunch of German scientists go missing, it's up to reporter Polly Perkins to find out what's going on. After New York is devastated by an army of giant killer robots, it's up to her & the "Sky Captain" (who has a fighter plane rigged up with a bunch of other high tech gadgets, by 30's standards) to go on a globe trotting adventure to find the mad scientist behind it all. It features all sorts of campy 30's sci-fi aspects (including the various robots with that old fashioned "tin can" look), but created with top of the line special effects (for 2003, at least), and a surprisingly big name cast (including Jude Law, Gwenith Paltrow, and Angelina Jolie). It definitely has a niche appeal, but it's a pretty fun ride if it sounds like something you'd be interested in. (3/5 Stars)
  • The Blind Swordsman: Zatoichi - Japanese film set in a small farming village sometime in the 1800's. Life is hard for the poor villagers of this town, as they live under the iron boot of the local Yakuza, but change will soon be coming when a blind masseuse (with killer sword instinct) just looking for some peace, a destitute ronin looking for work, and two mysterious geisha looking for revenge decend upon the village. What comes next is a tale filled with intense drama, violent action, some political intrigue, and comic relief at just the right moments. It's definitely worth a look if you're into Japanese period pieces. (5/5 Stars)

I've also started up on season 2 of Arrow.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

RR529

So, while browsing new additions, I noticed a new Netflix exclusive series, Marco Polo (Netflix's answer to Spartacus & Game of Thrones?), and I was wondering if any of you have seen it. If so, is it any good?

I'll probably get around to it either way (it's the first Netflix exclusive that's caught my eye), but I've got to finish Arrow & Heroes first.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

RR529

Time for a small little update:

• Mickey's Once Upon a Christmas - Had some time to myself today, so I decided to watch this (I liked it as a kid). It's good ole' fashioned Disney fun, and features three different Christmas stories (starring Donald, Goofy, & Mickey, respectively). Nice for a feel good afternoon.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

Tasuki

I have been watching Undercover Boss lately. It's one of the few reality shows that I enjoy.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

RR529
  • World War Z (Unrated): Watched this one with the family (don't worry, we're all old enough), and it was pretty decent, I suppose. Some of the grander action scenes were pretty cool I guess, but I simply don't care about zombies, and this movie did nothing to change that.
  • House of Flying Daggers: I originally saw this when it first came out, but it's been a long time, so it's almost like it was brand new. Absolutely great film. The action was great, and they used just enough of the typical Hong Kong cinema tricks to accentuate the action, rather than overuse them (which can make things look a little too hokey). The scenery was absolutely gorgeous, making use of vivid bright colors (most of it natural scenery). The story was a classic tale of star crossed lovers torn between each other & their factions, as civil war/unrest was breaking out.

Also been continuing to watch Arrow, which I've elaborated more on in our DC thread.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

NintendoFan990

Watch Doctor Who. It's easily one of the best TV shows of all time.

I am a human.

Rezalack

Marco Polo was pretty good stuff.

Rezalack

Nintendo Network ID: Spuratis

RR529

Rezalack wrote:

Marco Polo was pretty good stuff.

Yeah, I've been looking for something to fill that Spartacus/Game of Thrones niche on Netflix, and this caught my attention whenever I saw it.

I'll get to it as soon as I finish up Arrow.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

RR529

Time for a bit of an update on what I've been watching.

Lady Ninja Kaede 2 - Terrible, terrible film. At first I thought this had promise as simple dumb fun, but no... just no. This is either a very poorly made homage to exploitation era films, or a poorly made softcore p*** film that somehow got past Netflix's quality control. Either way, it's absolutely horrible, and avoid at all costs. Any time it tried to be funny, it just came off as very cringe worthy. Worst movie I've seen in a long, long time.

In better news, I finished the epic conclusion to season 2 of Arrow, and have started on the Netflix exclusive series, Marco Polo, which is off to a good start.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic