Forums

Topic: Thread of totally awesome Netflix Instant recommendations

Posts 821 to 840 of 1,051

Rezalack

^Solomon Kane is a great movie.

The Walking Dead first season is excellent despite some cheese, unfortunately it takes a terrible turn for the worse for season two. Don't get me wrong, it's good, but doesn't hold a candle to the first. The characters and situations are just so incredibly dumb, it just makes you want to scream at them. Season 3 pretends like it's going to better itself for the first half then ultimately disappoints.. season 4 has been really good, but I'm expecting them to make it awful sometime in the next couple episodes. It's what they do best. Yet I always tune in to see what wacky dilemma they get themselves into next. Just so you know, I didn't spoil anything and there are people who will heartily disagree with me. If you're interested, I can give you the link to a pretty hilarious review, it's long (a couple 20 minute episodes long), but totally worth watching. It could possibly make you enjoy the show more, especially since you don't seem to interested in it in the first place.

To add to the thread: Here's some great shows to watch on Netflix.

Top of the Lake:Takes place in New Zealand. It's a mystery drama about a pregnant 12 year old who goes missing. It's a must watch, IMO. Great Cinematography and setting. Even better story.

Orange is the new Black: Takes place mainly in a womans prison. It's a dark comedy. Worth watching.

Lilyhammer: (It's better than I expected, went in with very low expectations. It takes place in Norway so I really like the cultural setting, as its much different than mine, being the american that I am.)

The Man from Nowhere: Amazing South Korean movie. It's up there with Oldboy and The Saw the Devil.

Edited on by Rezalack

Rezalack

Nintendo Network ID: Spuratis

moomoo

Breaking Bad is pretty much the best TV show ever, or very close to that at the very least.

Attack on Titan is on it, which basically makes it the only place to watch it without adds.

Best thread ever
Feel free to add me on Miiverse or PSN.
Miiverse is Moomoo14, PSN is Moomoo1405390

3DS Friend Code: 4940-5561-6002 | Nintendo Network ID: Moomoo14

ThePirateCaptain

I watched Attack on Titan, and despite not being a huge anime fan I thought it was pretty enjoyable. Some episodes were pretty dull, though that may just be due to the fact I wasn't as heavily invested in them since there's no English dub.

ThePirateCaptain

3DS Friend Code: 3523-2096-8169 | Nintendo Network ID: Capn_Pancakes

RR529

Time for an update!

Movies:

Aeon Flux - I'll put this into the same camp as the Tomb Raider films. It's just a cheesy action flick, and is pretty decent if you're in the mood for that sort of thing (3/5 Stars).

Confucius - This one was fantastic. As you can guess, it tells the story of the famed philosopher, and has both war scenes of epic scale, and a lot of political intrigue. The production is top notch as well (5/5 Stars).

The Legend is Born: Ip Man - I don't think it's quite as good as the first one (this one is actually a prequel, BTW), but if you loved the first one, you'll love this as well (4/5 Stars).

The Four - This one is quite unique. It's set in anchient China, and features a super secret group of law officers who have superhuman abilities (one is telepathic, one is a werewolf, ect.) tracking down the organizer of a counterfeiting operation. It's part over the top kung-fu, part CSI, and part X-Men. I would give it a try based on it's uniqueness alone (4/5 Stars).

TV Shows:

Military Channel Top Tens - I used to watch this back in high school, so I just watched an episode for old time's sake.

The Walking Dead - Me and my friend finished up the first season. Really well made stuff, but it never really captivated me (just never been a zombie person).

Heroes - Just started watching this the other day, and am absolutely loving it. It's not quite what I thought it was going to be like, but still very good. Also, my friend happens to love it as well (he walked in as I was starting episode 3, and by the end was just as hooked as I was), so I don't have to watch TWD anymore Absolutely love Hiro.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Tasuki

Well I am not one for reality shows but for some reason Undercover Boss has really hooked me. I don't know if its seeing these CEO's bungle some of the simplest jobs that their company has or how the CEO rewards his hard working employees. Definitely an interesting show as well cause you get a peak at some of the most well know companies like 7-11, Subway, etc. behind the scenes both corporate and entry level.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

Tasuki

My apologies for the double post but here is a list of what's new for streaming in March on Netflix

TV Shows

"Pokémon: Indigo League" Season 1, available March 1
"Rake" Seasons 1-2, available March 1
"Star Wars: The Clone Wars" Season 6, available March 7
"Breaking Amish" Season 1, available March 12
"Mad Men" Season 6, available March 30

Movies

"The Silence Of The Lambs," available March 1
"Dirty Dancing," available March 1
"Kicking and Screaming," available March 1
"Linsanity," available March 1
"Robin Hood: Men in Tights," available March 1
"Roman Holiday," available March 1
"The Blair Witch Project," available March 1
"The Ice Storm," available March 1
"The Station Agent," available March 1
"Valkyrie," available March 1
"The United States of Leland," available March 1
"While You Were Sleeping," available March 1
"Uptown Girls," available March 6

My Backlog

RR529

^Unfortunately, there's nothing on that list that really speaks to me, except maybe Valkyrie, if it is what I think it is.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

RR529

Tasuki wrote:

@RR529: I think that's the Tom Cruise movie that deals with the assassination attempt on Hitler.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking of. I've always found WWII stuff to be interesting, so I'll probably watch it one of these days.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

Tasuki

RR529 wrote:

Tasuki wrote:

@RR529: I think that's the Tom Cruise movie that deals with the assassination attempt on Hitler.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking of. I've always found WWII stuff to be interesting, so I'll probably watch it one of these days.

Yeah I saw that movie years ago and its a really good movie especially if you like WWII movies.

My Backlog

RR529

Time for another update:

Movies:

The Great Magician - Set in 1920's China, it's a drama comedy with a host of neat special effects, that revolves around a love triagle between a famous illusionist, an incompetent warlord, and the woman they both covet (even though she cares little for either). They must eventually put their differences aside in order to stop the malicious desires of a group of Imperial Qing revitalists & Japanese military spies. I thought it was a really good watch (4/5 Stars).

Detective Dee & the Mystery of Phantom Flame - Set in ancient China, a famous detective is set out to discover the meaning behind government officials spontaneously combusting right before the coronation of the nation's first female emperor. This was a very interesting film, with some truely awe inspiring scale. Only held back by the very over the top martial arts sections, which didn't mesh well with the rest of the film, IMO (4/5 Stars).

Black Hawk - Korean film about a hotshot South Korean fighter pilot that's kicked out of the "Black Hawk" stunt team after deviating from the routine at an air show. Now in a combat squad, he must learn what being a soldier is all about, when a North Korean military official attempts a coup, and launches military action against the south. The action in this one is absolutely amazing, but unfortunately it takes it a long time to really get going. The second half of the film was fantastic, but the first half spends most of it's time being a romantic comedy, which I wasn't expecting, or really looking for here (3/5 Stars).

Walt Disney's Winnie the Pooh - I've actually never seen this before, and I thought it was pretty good. It won't go down as one of my favorite Disney films, but it was cute, and the theme song is still stuck in my head, lol. (3/5 Stars)

TV Shows:

Heroes - I've been watching a lot of this lately, and am almost done with the first season (3 episodes left). Great stuff!

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

RR529

It looks like the list of March additions @Tasuki provided was missing a few things, because they just added the original Spider-Man

I was so pleasantly surprised to see it sitting in the "Recently Added" section, that I just had to watch it right away, lol.

Also, I haven't watched them, but a couple of Pokémon movies were added as well.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

RevolverLink

I've really enjoyed what I've seen of Foyle's War so far. The mysteries and the characters don't re-invent the genre wheel or anything, but the show does a good job of keeping the viewer guessing over who the murderer is from the handful of suspects in each story, there seems to have been a good amount of work & detail put into the setting (WWII-era Britain) and Michael Kitchen is wonderfully understated in the lead role.

Edited on by RevolverLink

The Revloggery

Switch Friend Code: SW-4605-3581-8608 | 3DS Friend Code: 4339-3392-1142 | Nintendo Network ID: RevolverLink

RR529

Time for my weekly update:

Movies:

Spider-Man - I was so excited to this in the recently added section, that I had to watch it right away. Some of the CG is starting to show it's age, and it has some cheesy moments I didn't notice before (though I guess that goes to show how far superhero films have come), but it's still just as insanely fun now as it was when it first came out, and when it comes to films like this, that's all that really matters. Plus, the film's version of the Green Goblin is still one of my favorite Marvel film villains (5/5 Stars).

Iron Man & Hulk: Heroes United - Every once in awhile I try to get into one of the animated superhero movies, but I just can't seem to get into them, and this is no exception. It's not bad really, it just didn't click for me (2/5 Stars).

Dororo - Dark fantasy film set in feudal Japan (or a world like it). A warlord sacrifices his newborn son's body to 48 demons in order to build a world empire. Despite most of his body missing, the son survived, and was taken in by a sorcerer skilled in healing (who found the abandoned baby floating down the river), who used forbidden techniques to give him a faux body. Now an adult, he spends his life hunting down the 48 demons in order to get his real body back piece by piece. Despite some of the CG & action looking campy (in an intentional sort of way), I thought it was a great film. It's not at the levels of 13 Assassins or Hara-Kiri: Death of a Samurai, but It's still great, especially for those of you interested in Japanese culture/folk tales (4/5 Stars).

TV Shows:

Heroes - Almost done with season 2. It's really addicting, lol.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

RR529

I've been having a lot of problems with Netflix lately, so I think I may take a break from it for awhile. It has no problems loading up my dad's profile (the main one), but lately it always crashes whenever I try switching to my profile, and I have to shut down & restart the PS3 for it to work. (progressively more times as well. It used to work after restarting the PS3 once, then for about a week I had to restart it twice before it would work, and the last two times I had to restart it 5-6 times before it finally got through...)

For the meantime, I'll probably dive back into YouTube and see what anime films/OVAs I can find (I've seen my fair share, but I know there's some I've missed).

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

Tasuki

Man just watched one of my favorite movies of all time last night on Netflix. The Good The Bad and the Ugly. Seriously if you have never seen this movie then you need to see it. One of Clint Eastwood's best.

My Backlog

Platypus

Tasuki wrote:

. One of Clint Eastwood's BEST MOVIE EVER MADE!!!!.

Fixed

Edited on by Platypus

Wii code: 3761-1403-5495-2750PSN ID: Nintendodude686
Steam Community ID; Platypus

RR529

My friend came over last night, and just for a laugh we decided to watch Pokémon: Indigo League (which is the original series) for a bit of nostalgia.

Man, and what a shot of nostalgia it was. I totally forgot about the "What's that Pokémon?" & "Pokémon Rap" segments, lol.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

RevolverLink

Before I saw The Good, the Bad and the Ugly, I'd really only seen Westerns with John Wayne in them, so I had acquired a distaste for the entire genre. That movie helped me realize that were actually a lot of great Westerns out there - the other Leone spaghetti Westerns, High Noon, Unforgiven, The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford and True Grit (2010) - that appealed to me, and now a good number of my favorite films belong to the genre.

The Revloggery

Switch Friend Code: SW-4605-3581-8608 | 3DS Friend Code: 4339-3392-1142 | Nintendo Network ID: RevolverLink

Dreamz

I really enjoyed Safe Haven which is based on a Sparks novel. Very emotional with an ending that blindsided me completely.

My 3rd Party Games List: Click here
U-Wishlist: Splatoon, Zelda U

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic