Forums

Topic: Thread of totally awesome Netflix Instant recommendations

Posts 781 to 800 of 1,051

RR529

the King of Fighters - Just got done watching this one, and wow...

Easily the worst video game movie I've ever seen (possibly worst movie in general). There's so much I could list wrong with it, but instead I'll just confidently say that Dragonball Evolution is a better representation of the Dragon Ball series, than this is of the King of Fighters (just let that sink in for a moment). What's worse is that aside from completely messing up the world of the games, the martial arts & special effects in general look straight out of a YouTube fan film, which is terrible for a professional motion picture, regardless of budget.

Long story short, it's the first movie I've ever given a 1 star to on Netflix, and if you think you want to watch it, I tried to warn you.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Tasuki

RR529 wrote:

Easily the worst video game movie I've ever seen (possibly worst movie in general). There's so much I could list wrong with it, but instead I'll just confidently say that Dragonball Evolution is a better representation of the Dragon Ball series, than this is of the King of Fighters (just let that sink in for a moment). What's worse is that aside from completely messing up the world of the games, the martial arts & special effects in general look straight out of a YouTube fan film, which is terrible for a professional motion picture, regardless of budget.

Long story short, it's the first movie I've ever given a 1 star to on Netflix, and if you think you want to watch it, I tried to warn you.

Tip of the day: Live action movies based on a video game never are any good.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

RR529

Tasuki wrote:

RR529 wrote:

Tip of the day: Live action movies based on a video game never are any good.

Yeah, but from my experience, they tend to have at least something redeeming about them (SMB is so stupid it's funny, the first Tomb Raider is pretty decent if you go into it expecting lots of dumb mindless action, etc.), but this? This was just bland, and there was no effort put into anything (again, everything was at the level of a fan film, and despite how stupid other video game movies are, they're never THAT bad. If you've seen Mario Warfare on YouTube, that's what this is like action & special effects wise).

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

RR529

CanisWolfred wrote:

@RR529 - I could've gone my whole life with out knowing that movie existed. REVENGE!

Sorry about that, lol.

As for the DOA movie, I know it exists, but haven't been able to catch it (I think Spike actually showed it recently). I know it'll be terrible, but if I get the chance, I'll probably give it a try, just out of curiosity, lol.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

RR529

RR529 wrote:

CanisWolfred wrote:

@RR529 - I could've gone my whole life with out knowing that movie existed. REVENGE!

Sorry about that, lol.

As for the DOA movie, I know it exists, but haven't been able to catch it (I think Spike actually showed it recently). I know it'll be terrible, but if I get the chance, I'll probably give it a try, just out of curiosity, lol.

Actually, after actually watching that trailer, the DOA movie actually looks like it might be fun...

Yeah, it's stupid, but it appears to be stupid for the right reasons. Granted, I haven't watched it yet, so they could totally screw it up, but for the most part, it seems like they've embraced the silliness of DOA, and are making it true to the games (over the top costumes and all). Honestly, I'd rather them do that, than try and turn it into something it's not, which is what happened to that KoF movie.

For example:

• Mai & Terry were turned into CIA agents (there was nothing at all ninja-ish about Mai whatsoever).
  • They fought by using highly advanced earpieces that tapped into energy given off by ancient artifacts, which would teleport them to a magical alternate reality, where they had magical abilities (other than simply using chi energy in the real world, as in the games).
  • Mai was in a love triangle with Kyo & Iori (Andy, her love interest in the games, was completely absent here).
  • Orochi, the 8 headed dragon from Japanese mythology, played a major role here, and was reduced to a ball of intertwined snakes the size of a basketball, lol.
  • Terry seemed to be portrayed as the weakest fighter of the group, getting beat up by a gang of killer homeless people.
  • Rugal acted a bit silly at times, dressing up as a goalie & fighting "hockey style" at one point, and hit flaming baseballs at his adversary at another (granted, I haven't played the earlier entries in the series, and my experience with him is limited to Capcom VS SNK, but that just doesn't seem like him).
  • The battlefields in this supposed magical reality, included exotic locales as an empty warehouse, graffiti filled skate park, a dingy hallway, and a dank back alleyway.

And that's just the bigger stuff (not counting smaller nitpicks, like Mai's abilities being electric based, rather than fire), and I really can't understate how low grade the special effects & martial arts were.

I hope that puts how terrible it is into better perspective. It's like they just took the names of some main characters, knew it was martial arts based, and did no more research than that before making it...

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

Stude

I just noticed that Jacob's Ladder is up now. I highly recommend that film for the next time you feel like completely enveloping yourself in sheer psychological terror for 2 hours.

Team Splattershot Jr.
3DS friend code: 5000-2563-9647

Nintendo Network ID: Stu000

RR529

Chanbara Beauty: the Movie - Vortex (NR) - As you may have guessed, this movie is based on those games where you're a scantily clad woman killing zombies with a katana, lol. The story is stupid & the translation work is a bit shoddy, but let's be honest, you won't watch this for the story anyways. I'll say it wasn't very good (surprise, surprise), but it appears to be unashamedly true to the games (which I haven't played), which has to count for something I guess. It's incredibly campy, too. Most of the blood is just a splatter shaped red tint on the image, with low grade CGI spurting out of the wound. The zombies die in a video game-y way too (they literally pop, like a giant pimple, lol).

It's stupid, and I probably won't have the desire to ever watch it again, but if you know what you're getting into, it might be worth a look (I still gave it only 1/5 stars, but it's still better than that atrocious KoF movie).

Edited on by RR529

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

RR529

Wow, I watched a couple of real gems tonight (much better than those last two turds I watched).

Painted Skin: the Resurrection (NR) - I'll be blunt, if you like enthralling fantasy stories with breathtaking special effects, you owe it to yourself to watch this. This is another film based around Chinese mythology concepts, and not only is their CGI much better than the Sorcerer & White Snake, I'd say it wasn't too far behind what Hollywood has been putting out in recent years. Not only that, but they also didn't go overboard with the CGI, using it to enhance the visual spectacle, but not so much as to where it looked hokey (they knew their capabilities & limits, and it made everything so much better). In addition to the visual spectacle, there's a fair amount of action, and a heavy amount of romace & drama as well. I'll say a must watch (5/5 Stars).

Karate Girl (NR) - A legendary martial artist's belt has fallen into the hands of an international criminal organization (they're using it's pedigree to draw attention to their "business"), but there's one thing they failed to do, kill the little girl who carries that martial artist's bloodline & technique. Now she's all grown up, and her existence is a threat to their organization. Will she be able to survive their onslaught & avenge her father? Yeah, the story is typical revenge stuff & doesn't stand out much, but they know you're here for the action, and man do they deliver. There's never too much lull between bouts, and the action is always exciting. It won't win any awards, but it delivers exactly what it says it's going to, and that's a success as far as I'm concerned. It appears to be a lower budget film, but they clearly had a passion for the project, and that bled through to make it a really fun watch (4/5 Stars).

Both of these are only "NR" because they're foreign films (subtitled, of course), and as for content I'd say they're both around "PG-13" levels (lots of action, and some sensuality in PS:R, but only mild blood, minor cussing, and no nudity).

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

RR529

13 Assassins (R) - Set about 20 years before the Meiji Revolution, this revolves around 13 samurai who band together in an attempt to assassinate a cruel castle lord (and half brother of the Shogun) before he can be appointed to a position of great power. It takes a but for it to get going, but once it does it's truely a fantastic experience (Oh man is that final battle intense!). It does earn it's rating however, as the climactic battle is bloody, and while I won't spoil any major story elements here, the villain has a twisted sense of "entertainment". Fantastic film if you don't mind subtitles (5/5 Stars).

Beowulf (PG-13) - This is one of those films that was released during the short lived fad of motion capture animation (think the Polar Express). Of course, it follows the classic tale of the same name, and it was a pretty decent action flick, if nothing else. A bit surprised by the rating after watching it though, if it were live action I think it would have earned an "R" rating, not that that's a bad thing (3/5 Stars).

Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters (R) - This is pretty much as advertised. An action packed twist on the classic fairy-tale, where the brother & sister grow up and battle witches with all sorts of gadgets (mostly modern style firearms they've created). It's not cinema gold, but it's not bad either, so worth a look if you want something action packed (3/5 Stars).

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

RR529

So everyone, what are your top 5 or 10 movies you've either discovered or watched for the first time on Netflix Instant?

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

RancidVomit86

If anyone is looking for something little strange and creepy then try out Antichrist. But I warn you DO NOT HAVE THE KIDS AROUND WHILE YOU WATCH THIS.

Battle.net - Dayman
Steam - RancidVomit86
PSN - RancidVomit86

Where my friends and I usually get stupid:
https://www.twitch.tv/MUDWALLHOLLER - Come by hang and visit our Discord. The link for Discord is on the Twitch page.

Let's Go Buffalo!

Klimbatize

Everyone should watch Sherlock. Up there among my favorite shows of all time. The first two seasons are on Netflix. Season 3 just started on PBS this last Sunday. They'll replay the season premiere this Sunday before the new episode, so it's a good time to jump in.

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs. It's jolted by every pebble on the road.

3DS FC: 1332 7785 4494

RR529

I guess I'll be the first to answer my own question:

10. Walt Disney's the Sword in the Stone
9. Karate Girl
8. Godzilla: King of Monsters
7. the Sorcerer & White Snake
6. Disney's Mulan
5. Disney's Hercules
4. Hachi: A Dog's Tale
3. Immortals ¥
2. Painted Skin: the Resurrection
1. 13 Assassins

¥ - No longer available

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

Tasuki

@RR529: Hmmmm I can't really say right now. I mostly watch TV shows and documentaries more then movies. Not sure I can name 10 but some of the ones I discovered for the first time and really enjoyed are

That 70's Show (I never saw this one when it aired cause that was at the point that I was too busy in my life to watch TV)
Deadliest Warrior (My son actually introduced me to this one. Its sad that its no longer available to stream)
Law and Order (I have always been a fan of SVU but never saw the original. I actually like this one more then SVU. Its a shame the only have up to season 8 to strem)
Mythbusters (I always heard about this show but could never find it on the tv so I started watching it on stream)
Supernatural (Again another show that I was introduced to by Netflix)
Malcolm in the Middle

That's all I can think of at this moment might add some more later on.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

Platypus

RR529 wrote:

So everyone, what are your top 5 or 10 movies you've either discovered or watched for the first time on Netflix Instant?

in no order and this is more than 10
The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly
Treasure Planet
Star Trek
Ip Man
The Iron Giant
Braveheart
Dredd
The Godfather
Who Framed Roger Rabbit
Skyfall
Primer

About half of those are unfortunately no longer on Netflix instant.

Wii code: 3761-1403-5495-2750PSN ID: Nintendodude686
Steam Community ID; Platypus

RR529

Godzilla VS Mothra (UR) - Typical old-school Godzilla stuff here, which is all it needs to do. If you already like this stuff, you'll like this one. If you don't, this won't change your mind. (3/5 Stars)

It's only available until February 1st though, so watch it while you can, if you're interested.

Edited on by RR529

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

RR529

Yakuza Hunters: Duel in H-ll - This is another one of those low budget Japanese films, this time about Asami, a "Yakuza Hunter" who comes to a small Japanese town to rid it of the vicious Yakuza organization who is terrorizing it's citizens. I guess it was alright, but I just don't think I'm it's intended audience. It ran at a noticeably slower framerate, and it seemed to have a slight yellow filter at times, that I think was meant to give it some sort of older vibe to pay homage to classic Yakuza films I guess (even at one point purposefully acted like it had a damaged, missing piece of "film"). It also payed homage to Spaghetti Westerns, that I'm sure of (everything from Asami's outfit, the musical score, and definitely the final duel, had a very western feel). If you think you'd be interested in a lower budget foreign film that pays homage to those sorts of things, than this may be for you (although in a campy sense, it gets very bloody, just a warning), but it just didn't do much for me personally (2/5 Stars).

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

RevolverLink

RR529 wrote:

The African Queen
13 Assassins
The Italian Job (1969)
Jiro Dreams of Sushi
Indie Game: The Movie
Safety Not Guaranteed
Man on Wire
High Noon
Ghost in the Shell
Mystery Science Theater 3000: Pod People

I'm sure I discovered many more of my favorite films via instant Netflix, but these are the ones I definitely remember first seeing through the service.

The Revloggery

Switch Friend Code: SW-4605-3581-8608 | 3DS Friend Code: 4339-3392-1142 | Nintendo Network ID: RevolverLink

RR529

RevolverLink wrote:

RR529 wrote:

The African Queen
13 Assassins
The Italian Job (1969)
Jiro Dreams of Sushi
Indie Game: The Movie
Safety Not Guaranteed
Man on Wire
High Noon
Ghost in the Shell
Mystery Science Theater 3000: Pod People

I'm sure I discovered many more of my favorite films via instant Netflix, but these are the ones I definitely remember first seeing through the service.

Yay, someone else who has watched 13 Assassins! That was a fantastically made film (even if a bit shocking at times).

Ghost in the Shell is great too, even though this isn't where I watched it (and for certain reasons, I never watch anime on Netflix).

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic