Forums

Topic: Thread of totally awesome Netflix Instant recommendations

Posts 501 to 520 of 1,051

bezerker99

All of (the late) John Hughes' films are great! This one is no exception. It's also now available to Instantly Watch on Netflix. Check it out...stars Ed O'Neil (aka Al Bundy).

Untitled

Popyman

Link79 wrote:

The guy in charge of the selection needs to be fired. I realize It's only costing 9 bucks a month for instant streaming but damn. Couldn't they at least put a few things on there that are somewhat well known?
I feel like I'm digging through a box of DVD's at a flea market.

You make it sound like it's as easy as picking movies from a list and making them available for streaming--it isn't. There are contracts and deals involved that take time and money. And if you honestly can't find any movies to watch you either have bad taste or aren't trying new things. Don't just look for stuff you know about, browse around and give a totally unknown movie a chance. I found so many gems that I never would have seen if I didn't have Netflix.

As for what I'm watching now: Being Human. Watch it. Although seeing as how this is a UK based site most of you probably have.

"Sometimes isolation is a good thing, Razputin. It can lead to many important discoveries."--Sasha Nein, Psychonauts3DS FC: 2578-3212-7404Popy's Backloggery!

grenworthshero

I find that the super-popular movies most everyone has already seen anyway are not on there, and I'm fine with that. Movies like Gremlins and E.T. are not going to be on streaming, and that's why it's so cheap. Streaming is kind of for movie buffs who have already seen all the "obvious" selections and are looking for niche titles.

PSN ID: grenworthshero
Steam: grenworthshero
WiiU: grenworthshero
YouTube--backloggery--tumblr--

Nintendo Network ID: grenworthshero

Kid_A

Skyline is now instant streaming. One of the best bad movies of our time.

Blog: http://www.sequencebreaking.blogspot.com
3DS Friend Code: 2277-7231-5687
Now Playing: Animal Crossing: New Leaf

grenworthshero

Malcolm in the Middle is streaming on Netflix now (or maybe I just missed it and it's been on there for a long time)
That was one of my favorite shows as a kid/young adult, and it still holds up today. In fact, it's probably even better now that I'm older.

PSN ID: grenworthshero
Steam: grenworthshero
WiiU: grenworthshero
YouTube--backloggery--tumblr--

Nintendo Network ID: grenworthshero

Tasuki

grenworthshero wrote:

Malcolm in the Middle is streaming on Netflix now (or maybe I just missed it and it's been on there for a long time)
That was one of my favorite shows as a kid/young adult, and it still holds up today. In fact, it's probably even better now that I'm older.

I caught a few shows here and there on Nick At Nite and enjoyed them I was glad to see they put the series on stream as well. Probably start that after I finish Law & Order.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

JeanLuc_Vaycard

Nice Malcom in the Middle is pretty good. Sometimes I felt it was hit and miss, but man when they hit it was hilarious.

THERE... ARE... 4 LIGHTS!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiSn2JuDQSc&feature=youtube_gdata_player

edhe

Malclm in the Middle is one of my favourite shows of all time, and it makes me slightly jealous you are able to watch it on demand through Netflix in America.

The problem is, the series contains music the distributers weren't willing to clear for home video/DVD release.

That being said, Channel 5(star) in the UK are curently showing an episode a day, and they've already cycled back to the first series again. Currently, they are at the series where Francis is at the Ranch (a series made so much funnier with Kenneth Mars' Otto character).

I could gush about Malcolm in the Middle all day - the acting is brilliant, but it will always remain a favourite show of mine, no matter how many times it's repeated.

If you have the opportunity to watch Malcolm in the Middle on demand, do so.

My Backloggery.
Follow a cow?

Switch Friend Code: SW-6650-8335-1908 | 3DS Friend Code: 4682-8598-1260

Big_A2

Link79 wrote:

If you try looking for any movies that actually made some money at the theater you won't likely find them on Netflix.

You shouldn’t just limit yourself only to movies that had big financial success. Some of the best movies ever were independent / bombed at the box office.

JeanLuc_Vaycard

Big_A2 wrote:

Link79 wrote:

If you try looking for any movies that actually made some money at the theater you won't likely find them on Netflix.

You shouldn’t just limit yourself only to movies that had big financial success. Some of the best movies ever were independent / bombed at the box office.

This. There is a lot of good quality that doesn't just involve a huge Hollywood budget. Try doing some exploring. You are already paying for the service so what is there to lose in checking out some stuff you have never heard of before?

THERE... ARE... 4 LIGHTS!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiSn2JuDQSc&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Link79

The best movie I've seen on Netflix was probably Mrs. Doubtfire. That's obviously a good one but you don't see movies that popular very often.
I guess If I've never heard of a certain movie I figure there's probably a good reason. Most likely it sucked.
On occasion I'll find a decent one. I just hate when they remove stuff I was in the middle of watching.

Edited on by Link79

3DS Friend code 4038-6006-7917
Wii Friend code 3553-5293-8702-0039
Smash Bros. Brawl 0001-3032-2653
Mario vs DK: Minis March Again 3310-6435-2823
Wii and 3DS ID Link

lockelocke

I cannot understand how people have trouble finding good movies on Netflix's Instant service. There is a ton of stuff up there. I've watched and rated over 1700 films of Netflix, so the number of good unwatched movies on Instant for me is dwindling, but if you're not a film buff or obsessive movie viewer I cannot imagine feeling underwhelmed by Netflix's library.

Just looking at my "Watch It Again" category on the homepage:

Fearless (solid Jet Li movie)
Edward Scissorhands
Red State (Kevin Smith's new DIY film. Incredible! A must watch for horror fans)
Kick Ass
Chinatown
Twin Peaks (TV, not film, but still...)
The Exorcist
Session 9 (great horror film by Brad Anderson, director of The Machinist)
Resevoir Dogs
Die Hard
Ghost in the Shell
Dazed and Confused
Labyrinth
Carrie
Dark Days (awesome documentary on NY homeless with DJ Shadow score)
Death Wish (Classic Charles Bronson)
Teen Wolf
Clockwork Orange
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
The Terminator
The Mouth of Madness (campy but awesome John Carpenter film)
The Secret of Nimh (great 80's Don Bluth animated film)
All Dogs Go to Heaven
Die Hard
From Dusk Til Dawn (co-directed by Tarantino and Robert Rodriguez)
Big Trouble in Little China (another John Carpenter 80's camp classic)
Misery (great thriller based on a Stephen King story)
Meet The Parents
The Machinist (creepy psychological thriller with a borderline scary performance from Christian Bale)
Marathon Man (70's classic thriller with Dustin Hoffman)
They Live (more Carpenter 80's sci-fi camp)
The Graduate
Metropolis (old Fritz Lang sci-fi silent)
Robocop
Little Shop of Horrors
Big
Dead Man (Johnny Depp and Jim Jarmusch)
The Dark Crystal (Jim Henson studio classic)
Escape from New York
La Femme Nikita (Spy thriller from the director of The Professional)
Network (from classic director Sidney Lumet)
Superman: The Movie
Once Upon a Time in the West
Them (french horror/thriller)
The Killing (Stanley Kubrick)
Raging Bull (Dinero / Scorcese)
Dog Day Afternoon (Al Pacino / Sidney Lumet)
An American Werewolf In London
The Fly
Midnight Cowboy (legendary Dustin Hoffman performance, "I'm Walkin Here!"
Baseketball
Do The Right Thing (Spike Lee classic)
Fire and Ice (fantasy epic from Ralph Bakshi, master of adult animation)
Creepshow (directed by George Romero of Night of the Living Dead, based on Stephen King stories)

This is only 2 of the pages for the "Watch It Again" section and does not even begin to represent the amount of great movies that I've watched and rated on Netflix. I promise you, there is a ton of awesome stuff on Netflix for all types of audiences/viewers. Do some research on film classics, Netflix has a ton of them!

Edited on by lockelocke

i_am_error
3DS FC: 5198 - 2459 - 3589
backlockelockery

Tasuki

SAY HELLO TO MY LITTLE FRIEND!!!!! Scarface is now on instant one of Al Pacino's best movies.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

Odnetnin

If you update Netflix in the Wii Shop Channel, they've added a "Just For Kids" mode that features kid-friendly characters, shows, and interface that you can safely leave your kids alone with if need be. Very clunky and a lot of kinks to work out, but it's kind of fun to use and Shaun the Sheep is one of the featured characters, which is awesome.

The update also makes some minor improvements to regular Netflix as well.

Not on 3DS yet, but it is on PC/Mac.

Six word TV reviews
The Worst Firework Displays of all Time

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7077-1059 | Twitter:

Platypus

I started watching Deep Space Nine when it came on Netflix in October and it is AMAZING!!!!
The first season was like
Second was like
Third was like
AND NOW I'M AT THE 4TH AND I CAN'T STOP WATCHING!!!!!!

Wii code: 3761-1403-5495-2750PSN ID: Nintendodude686
Steam Community ID; Platypus

LordTendoboy

I'm getting bored with Netflix. They hardly ever update their TV shows to include new seasons. I'm thinking about switching to Hulu Plus. Is Hulu's selection more up to date?

3DS Friend Code (NEW) 4597-0176-3500
Minis March Again (NEW) 2323-0441-2739
Mini-Land Mayhem (NEW) 5071-8232-0670
Wii Friend Code 5519-8046-0668-6068
Smash Bros. Brawl 1893-2412-4594
[...

Platypus

tendoboy1984 wrote:

I'm getting bored with Netflix. They hardly ever update their TV shows to include new seasons. I'm thinking about switching to Hulu Plus. Is Hulu's selection more up to date?

From what I hear if you use Hulu plus on anything put the computer very few of their shows are available. I also like that Netflix is available on every electronic device that isn't black and white.

Wii code: 3761-1403-5495-2750PSN ID: Nintendodude686
Steam Community ID; Platypus

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic