General Discussion Forum

Topic: Thread of totally awesome Netflix Instant recommendations

Showing 101 to 120 of 867

AuthorMessage

Philip_J_Reed

101. Posted:

I'm looking for a movie that's one part Dr. Strangelove, two parts Super Size Me, two parts the music video for Once in a Lifetime by Talking Heads, and one part the scene from The Great Muppet Caper where Kermit and Piggy ride bicycles.

Plz advise.

NL Forum Moderator / Part-Time Reviewer / One-Track Lover
Noiseless Chatter, my pop culture blog that will change your life
Wii U Account: ChickenBrutus (add me!)
Mega Man No Damage Runs, and more

Twitter: NoNoiseChitChat

AuthorMessage

MERG

102. Posted:

@Chicken Brutus...if you find THAT movie let me know...because it would be AWESOME!

Bow ties are cool - The Doctor

AuthorMessage

Popyman

103. Posted:

Kid_A wrote:

Popyman wrote:

It's one part Where The Wild Things Are and another part Second Hand Lion.

:O
...The mind boggles trying to comprehend this...

In The Fall, one of the main characters tells a story to a little girl and the way it's presented is a lot like Second Hand Lion's flashback/story scenes. As the movie continues, the man and the girl's psyche become one with the story like how the Wild Things represent part of Max' psyche and act out his problems in a way where he is on the receiving end of what he was doing to his mother (I'm talking about the movie version of WTWTA, obviously).

"Sometimes isolation is a good thing, Razputin. It can lead to many important discoveries."--Sasha Nein, Psychonauts3DS FC: 2578-3212-7404Popy's Backloggery!

AuthorMessage

Ridley

104. Posted:

Chicken Brutus wrote:

• The Beast of Yucca Flats

I'm skeptical. I found The Skydivers dire even with the commentary and Beast is supposed to be worse. ;)

Ridley

AuthorMessage

Philip_J_Reed

105. Posted:

Ridley wrote:

Chicken+Brutus wrote:

I'm skeptical. I found The Skydivers dire even with the commentary and Beast is supposed to be worse. ;)

If you end up watching it, let me know what you think. I personally found the commentary hilarious...but then again it's a Mike episode, and I usually find even the worst of those to be pretty great. Give it a shot!

AuthorMessage

Ridley

106. Posted:

Chicken+Brutus wrote:

Ridley wrote:

Chicken+Brutus wrote:

If you end up watching it, let me know what you think. I personally found the commentary hilarious...but then again it's a Mike episode, and I usually find even the worst of those to be pretty great. Give it a shot!

I'll bring my purchase of the DVD collection containing it forward just for you. :p I'm back on vol 3, and that's only cause I bought it within minutes of this thread reminding me I was collecting them. The Skydivers is the worst movie I've ever seen. Although The Human Centipede (I saw yesterday) is a strong contender.

Edited on by Ridley

Ridley

AuthorMessage

Squiggle55

107. Posted:

Chicken+Brutus wrote:

As far as films I discovered thanks to Instant Streaming, I recommend Moon to absolutely everyone. Sam Rockwell and Kevin Spacey in one of only two science fiction films that I would say deserve to be on my favorite movies ever list. (The other is Alien.)

Truly great. Don't look it up before you see it. Go in expecting nothing.

You'll be glad you did.

this is a great recommendation, we were lucky enough to catch that one in the theatre along with the 2 or 3 other people that saw it.

next movie I'm going to watch that I'm excited to see on instant view: Monsters

Edited on by Squiggle55

Nothing will benefit human health and increase chances for survival of life on Earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet. -Albert Einstein

AuthorMessage

Kid_A

108. Posted:

Chicken Brutus wrote:

I'm looking for a movie that's one part Dr. Strangelove, two parts Super Size Me, two parts the music video for Once in a Lifetime by Talking Heads, and one part the scene from The Great Muppet Caper where Kermit and Piggy ride bicycles.

Plz advise.

Pffft. Easy.

Blog: http://www.sequencebreaking.blogspot.com
3DS Friend Code: 2277-7231-5687
Now Playing: Animal Crossing: New Leaf

AuthorMessage

Philip_J_Reed

109. Posted:

/me buys it now

AuthorMessage

Zach

110. Posted:

To all fans of great sketch comedy That Mitchell and Webb Look Series 1-3 are on instant now. Most Americans don't know about it - I'm not sure how popular it is in Britain - but series 1 & 3, when at their best, are Monty Python's Flying Circus, Mr. Show or Kids in the Hall quality. Series 2 is mostly forgettable, though, but this is a great show.

Zach

Twitter: zachkaplan

AuthorMessage

Philip_J_Reed

111. Posted:

+1 to Zach. I absolutely adore them on Peep Show...one of the best comedy programs of the past 10 years without question.

AuthorMessage

warioswoods

112. Posted:

I haven't looked through this entire thread, but I heartily recommend Solaris (the '72 Russian film, not the Clowney remake). It's lenghty, glacially-paced Sci-Fi, much like 2001, but with a complex moral element that still has me returning to ponder various matters. One of my favorite films.

Spoiler-free glimpse of the film's beauty above.

Edited on by warioswoods

Twitter is a good place to throw your nonsense.
Wii FC: 8378 9716 1696 8633 || "How can mushrooms give you extra life? Get the green ones." -Lakitu 64
Join us in the epic Nintendo Life Wii Music Thread

AuthorMessage

Zach

113. Posted:

And Phil, +2 to your Moon recommendation. I saw that twice in the theater and now own it on Blu Ray.

Some classics that everyone should see on Netflix Instant are The Exorcist, Rosemary's Baby and Fargo.

Zach

Twitter: zachkaplan

AuthorMessage

irken004

114. Posted:

I've been watching lots of "Batman: The Animated Series" on Netflix disc rentals. Such a good animated series, HIGHLY recommended.

As for instant Netflix stuff, I have Halo Legends and some other stuff on my queue.

Backloggery

AuthorMessage

y2josh

115. Posted:

Life On Mars (USA) is on Netflix streaming now. Watch it :|

The word "Gem" is overused.
PSN/gamertag: jcturtle
3DS Friend Code: 3179-6118-9371

AuthorMessage

Tasuki

116. Posted:

y2josh wrote:

Life On Mars (USA) is on Netflix streaming now. Watch it :|

I second that. I loved that series and wish it had another season or so. I got it on DVD a while ago and I still watch it alot. Its probably one of my favorite shows.

My Backlog

Proud owner of a Blue 3DSXL
Proud owner of a Deluxe Wii U
Proud owner of an Xbox 360
Proud owner of a PS4

Currently playing: See my Backlog.

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

AuthorMessage

Splat

117. Posted:

You can't stream it but Netflix has the first season of The Walking Dead on DVD I highly recommend it.

"What do you reckon, we're gonna have to climb that thing?" ~ Chloe Frazer

"I reckon I'M gonna have to climb that thing." ~ Nathan Drake

AuthorMessage

Xkhaoz

118. Posted:

The Naked Gun is on Netflix now. Go watch it.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/xkhaoz

AuthorMessage

grenworthshero

119. Posted:

Popyman wrote:

You don't understand. The director pretty much straight up said that he did not give a damn about the show because it was a cartoon. He decided that he could do whatever the hell he wanted with the characters and story because they are fictional 2D characters that don't mean anything to anyone. He's wrong and a moron. You know what the best part is? He thinks the steaming pile of idiocy that he made was better than the show.

If you're going to make a movie based on something, you have to be a fan of the work itself and want to do justice to it. This guy couldn't care less and it disgusts me.

Source, please. I read that he was a huge fan of the show, several places.

PSN ID: grenworthshero
Steam: grenworthshero
WiiU: grenworthshero
3DS Code: 3823-8687-7682
YouTube--backloggery--tumblr--Facebook--last.fm

Nintendo Network ID: grenworthshero

AuthorMessage

Tasuki

120. Posted:

grenworthshero wrote:

Popyman wrote:

You don't understand. The director pretty much straight up said that he did not give a damn about the show because it was a cartoon. He decided that he could do whatever the hell he wanted with the characters and story because they are fictional 2D characters that don't mean anything to anyone. He's wrong and a moron. You know what the best part is? He thinks the steaming pile of idiocy that he made was better than the show.

If you're going to make a movie based on something, you have to be a fan of the work itself and want to do justice to it. This guy couldn't care less and it disgusts me.

Source, please. I read that he was a huge fan of the show, several places.

Yeah I dont know where you heard or read that from but on the extras on the DVD M. Night Shyamalan himself said he watched the cartoon the his daughter and that was the main reason he wanted to do the movie because he enjoyed the cartoon alot.

Truthfully who knows why it came out the way it did all I know is that it was bad and I am not the only one whos said so. Its one of Hollywoods biggest jokes. If they ever needed to do a reboot look no farther than The Last Airbender.

My Backlog

Proud owner of a Blue 3DSXL
Proud owner of a Deluxe Wii U
Proud owner of an Xbox 360
Proud owner of a PS4

Currently playing: See my Backlog.

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311