General Discussion Forum

Topic: THQ's Not Dying

Showing 1 to 20 of 22

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Lan

1. Posted:

http://www.thq.com/us/go/article/view/homepage_article/261277...

So this means they got bought? Or just an investor? I dunno what all this means really. But THQ isn't dying or dead

Lots of censorship here...
3DS: 1676-4603-1823
Dragon friend safari

Nintendo Network ID: Dylan1

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Bankai

2. Posted:

It means that THQ has found an investor to cover its debts.

I don't think anyone who understands business thought THQ would just disappear. That very rarely happens.

Digitally Downloaded - best darned game site on the web ;-)

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Lan

3. Posted:

Just who I was wanting! Thanks for clarifying actually

Lots of censorship here...
3DS: 1676-4603-1823
Dragon friend safari

Nintendo Network ID: Dylan1

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Capt_N

4. Posted:

WhiteKnight wrote:

It means that THQ has found an investor to cover its debts.

I don't think anyone who understands business thought THQ would just disappear. That very rarely happens.

It's nice to have someone w/ business smarts on this site, & who talks respectable. :)

3DS FC: 0173-1967-5074‚ô™DotheMarioKrt7 Community: 65-3522-2507-1023

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Bankai

5. Posted:

Lan wrote:

Just who I was wanting! Thanks for clarifying actually

Chapter 11 Bankruptcy is a pretty awesome deal. It lets companies continue to operate while they look for someone to get them out of trouble. It looks like THQ isn't going to have its development and projects affected by the accounting stuff now, which means the delay on game releases should be minimal at best.

The firm that's showed interest in buying the assets is a good one too, with a large portfolio.

It should give THQ a little breathing space. Though I'd also expect one or two more casualties, it looks like the actual brand of THQ will survive at this stage, relatively intact.

Digitally Downloaded - best darned game site on the web ;-)

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Tasuki

6. Posted:

Thanks for the explanation Waltz.

My Backlog

Proud owner of a Blue 3DSXL
Proud owner of a Deluxe Wii U
Proud owner of an Xbox 360
Proud owner of a PS4

Currently playing: See my Backlog.

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Lan

7. Posted:

WhiteKnight wrote:

Lan wrote:

Just who I was wanting! Thanks for clarifying actually

Chapter 11 Bankruptcy is a pretty awesome deal. It lets companies continue to operate while they look for someone to get them out of trouble. It looks like THQ isn't going to have its development and projects affected by the accounting stuff now, which means the delay on game releases should be minimal at best.

The firm that's showed interest in buying the assets is a good one too, with a large portfolio.

It should give THQ a little breathing space. Though I'd also expect one or two more casualties, it looks like the actual brand of THQ will survive at this stage, relatively intact.

Good to hear. I hope THQ keeps at the path they're at, not releasing the same game every year like the other AAA publishers.

edit: I'm an idiot

Edited on by Lan

Lots of censorship here...
3DS: 1676-4603-1823
Dragon friend safari

Nintendo Network ID: Dylan1

AuthorMessage
Avatar

CanisWolfred

8. Posted:

So long as that means more Dawn of War from a competant developer, then it's all good.

Avid Fan of Anime, JRPGs, Webcomics, and Wolves
My Den - My door is always open....Too bad it's an empty closet.
My DeviantArt - I like to call it "the blank wall"

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi

Arooo~

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Bankai

9. Posted:

CanisWolfred wrote:

So long as that means more Dawn of War from a competant developer, then it's all good.

Actually I think THQ lost the license for Warhammer.

An entirely different developer/ publisher is in the process of making an official Warhammer game for iOS. So, either THQ didn't have exclusive rights to the license (unlikely) or Games Workshop (the owners of Warhammer) decided to give the license out elsewhere.

Given there hasn't been a proper tabletop Warhammer game in years, I am not surprised if the latter is the case.

Digitally Downloaded - best darned game site on the web ;-)

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Tasuki

10. Posted:

WhiteKnight wrote:

CanisWolfred wrote:

So long as that means more Dawn of War from a competant developer, then it's all good.

Actually I think THQ lost the license for Warhammer.

An entirely different developer/ publisher is in the process of making an official Warhammer game for iOS. So, either THQ didn't have exclusive rights to the license (unlikely) or Games Workshop (the owners of Warhammer) decided to give the license out elsewhere.

Given there hasn't been a proper tabletop Warhammer game in years, I am not surprised if the latter is the case.

I might be wrong on this but doesnt EA have the rights to Warhammer video games? I know they made that god awful MMO a few years ago based on Warhammer.

My Backlog

Proud owner of a Blue 3DSXL
Proud owner of a Deluxe Wii U
Proud owner of an Xbox 360
Proud owner of a PS4

Currently playing: See my Backlog.

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

AuthorMessage
AvatarStaff

Unca_Lz

11. Posted:

But are they DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMED?

Nintendo Life moderator and duck

My Retrologgery
LordJumpMad is emperor. U mad?

3DS Friend Code: 2234-7139-4188 | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Bankai

12. Posted:

Tasuki wrote:

WhiteKnight wrote:

CanisWolfred wrote:

So long as that means more Dawn of War from a competant developer, then it's all good.

Actually I think THQ lost the license for Warhammer.

An entirely different developer/ publisher is in the process of making an official Warhammer game for iOS. So, either THQ didn't have exclusive rights to the license (unlikely) or Games Workshop (the owners of Warhammer) decided to give the license out elsewhere.

Given there hasn't been a proper tabletop Warhammer game in years, I am not surprised if the latter is the case.

I might be wrong on this but doesnt EA have the rights to Warhammer video games? I know they made that god awful MMO a few years ago based on Warhammer.

That was EA-published? I thought THQ published that one.

Anyway, a quick Google search makes me suspect that The Games Workshop doesn't license the Warhammer franchise exclusively. SEGA actually has a license to make a Warhammer game through The Creative Assembly: http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2012/12/total-war-developer-get...

That is not the same developer/ publisher that has rights to an iOS game: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-08-21-warhammer-quest-...

SEGA and Rodeo are in no way affiliated, implying that The Games Workshop licensed them both independently.

For the record, a Total War: Warhammer game will just about give me a heart attack from joy.

Edited on by Bankai

Digitally Downloaded - best darned game site on the web ;-)

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Lan

13. Posted:

Aren't Warhammer and 40k two separate entities? I know THQ publishes most (if not all, well in recent years) 40k games. And according to Wikipedia, EA did publish the Warhammer MMO

edit: THQ has published every 40k game since 2003

Edited on by Lan

Lots of censorship here...
3DS: 1676-4603-1823
Dragon friend safari

Nintendo Network ID: Dylan1

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Tasuki

14. Posted:

Yeah it was developed by Mythic as EA merged or bought out or whatever it was Mythic so therefore EA published it.

Looking deeper it looks like Warhammer Online: Wrath of Heroes which is an online battle arena is also done by Mythic/EA. So I am guessing that EA has the Warhammer Online rights.

My Backlog

Proud owner of a Blue 3DSXL
Proud owner of a Deluxe Wii U
Proud owner of an Xbox 360
Proud owner of a PS4

Currently playing: See my Backlog.

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Bankai

15. Posted:

Lan wrote:

Aren't Warhammer and 40k two separate entities? I know THQ publishes most (if not all, well in recent years) 40k games. And according to Wikipedia, EA did publish the Warhammer MMO

edit: THQ has published every 40k game since 2003

Warhammer and 40K are owned by the same company. It's entirely possible that they licensed 40K to THQ and Warhammer to other publishers/ developers, yes.

Digitally Downloaded - best darned game site on the web ;-)

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Bankai

16. Posted:

It gets even more confusing when you look at this one: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warhammer:_Mark_of_Chaos

Black Hole seems to have the rights to that game since it was published by two separate publishers.

It's possible that no one has exclusive rights to the general Warhammer license, but THQ inked an exclusive deal for 40K. I don't see any indication that that exclusive arrangement is still in effect, however.

Going to have to research this further.

Digitally Downloaded - best darned game site on the web ;-)

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Tasuki

17. Posted:

Ok found something from Wikipedia which sites Mythics own site as a source

Games Workshop was approached by Mythic Entertainment, who were interested in acquiring the license and starting a new project from scratch. A long-standing relationship between several Games Workshop managers and the CEO of Mythic Mark Jacobs ensured that a deal was quickly reached. The Warhammer Online license was acquired by Mythic on May 18, 2005. Mythic would soon cancel its original follow-up project Imperator Online after gaining the Warhammer License.[17]

So it looks like that when EA got Mythic they got the Warhammer Online license. So all Warhammer Online rights is owned by EA it looks like.

Edited on by Tasuki

My Backlog

Proud owner of a Blue 3DSXL
Proud owner of a Deluxe Wii U
Proud owner of an Xbox 360
Proud owner of a PS4

Currently playing: See my Backlog.

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Kagamine

18. Posted:

It's nice to have Waltz around for questions like these. I was actually going to start a similar thread before I saw this. Thanks for the Info Waltz!

3DS friend code: 1332-7705-6324Previous Usernames: Bossmank
Some_Chords

"Love your ego, you won't feel a thing, always number one, the pen with a bent wrist crooked king, sign away our peace, for your war, one word and it's over." ~ Deadmau5

Nintendo Network ID: bossmank

AuthorMessage
Avatar

ElectricSplash

19. Posted:

Will this affect the Spongebob, Madagascar and Dinsey Pirncess games?

Heck, they realy released al huge amount of kids games. It would be wrong to say they saturated the maket of kids games. Mybe if they made all tipes of games, but the adult ones came each large group of months. If you investigate, in 2013 they were only anounced South Par, Metro: Last Light and some games i cant remember after they lost Devil's Third (Next Duke Nukem Forever) and inSANE (i watched Pan's LAbyrith, that makes me interested in a game by Guillermo del Toro).

It seems that the HUmble THQ Bundle didnt go so well after all.

My Backloggery

Twitter: Benjamin_Rosa

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Tasuki

20. Posted:

Well according to rumors Warner Bros is one of the companies looking into buying THQ.

Edited on by Tasuki

My Backlog

Proud owner of a Blue 3DSXL
Proud owner of a Deluxe Wii U
Proud owner of an Xbox 360
Proud owner of a PS4

Currently playing: See my Backlog.

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311