General Discussion Forum

Topic: Things that should be standard in gaming, but for some reason aren't.

Showing 41 to 60 of 96

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SCAR392

41. Posted:

CanisWolfred wrote:

SCAR392 wrote:

@DawnOverALilly
I don't care much for story. I just want the game to be fun.

Why can't story and cutscenes be fun?

It's just my opinion. If you think cutscenes in Halo, Uncharted, MGS, COD, etc. are cool, than that's fine.

I just don't think cutscenes are all that great. This is coming from someone who hasn't cared to watch a movie all the way through in years, even while having access to a Netflix subscription.
Stories just seem to lack any importance or direction now adays, IMO.

$¢@®³’²

AuthorMessage
Avatar

CanisWolfred

42. Posted:

SCAR392 wrote:

CanisWolfred wrote:

SCAR392 wrote:

@DawnOverALilly
I don't care much for story. I just want the game to be fun.

Why can't story and cutscenes be fun?

It's just my opinion. If you think cutscenes in Halo, Uncharted, MGS, COD, etc. are cool, than that's fine.

I just don't think cutscenes are all that great. This is coming from someone who hasn't cared to watch a movie all the way through in years, even while having access to a Netflix subscription.
Stories just seem to lack any importance or direction now adays, IMO.

Okay, that's the context I needed to understand this.

...yet at the same time, I'm going to ignore you every time you say a story sucks. Just some fair warning.

Edited on by CanisWolfred

Mecha Wolf Prime

Avid Fan of Anime, Webcomics, and Wolves
My Den - My door is always open....Too bad it's an empty closet.
My DeviantArt - I like to call it "the blank wall"

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi
Scary Wolfrun...
...Scared Wolfrun

Arooo~

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Spanjard

43. Posted:

Everything should be fun, there is simple no excuse! :p

My experience still tells me that if I like a game(gameplay,style,setting etc) I don't mind cutscenes, even if they are not that good. Xenoblade comes to mind.
But man, the other way around just doesn't cut it for me... But really, who needs cutscenes :p Sound, music, and script is wat makes me really involved besides gameplay. Little Inferno does this so well I think.

But to each their own!

Spanjard

3DS Friend Code: 3754-7789-7523 | Nintendo Network ID: Longforgotten

AuthorMessage
Avatar

DawnOverALilly

44. Posted:

@Longforgotten ditto, to each there own.

Save Touhou, I will stab you over that.

Flandre- "I've been in the basement. For about 495 years."
Marisa- "That's sweet, I only get weekends off."
_
Marisa- It's so hot, I'm gonna die here.
Reimu- If you die, I'll feed your corpse to the birds.
Remilia- My, it'd be fine if you'd let me take care of that.
Marisa- That's a definite no.

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Klimbatize

45. Posted:

CanisWolfred wrote:

SCAR392 wrote:

CanisWolfred wrote:

SCAR392 wrote:

@DawnOverALilly
I don't care much for story. I just want the game to be fun.

Why can't story and cutscenes be fun?

It's just my opinion. If you think cutscenes in Halo, Uncharted, MGS, COD, etc. are cool, than that's fine.

I just don't think cutscenes are all that great. This is coming from someone who hasn't cared to watch a movie all the way through in years, even while having access to a Netflix subscription.
Stories just seem to lack any importance or direction now adays, IMO.

Okay, that's the context I needed to understand this.

...yet at the same time, I'm going to ignore you every time you say a story sucks. Just some fair warning.

LOL, exactly.

Now I understand my favorite NLer a bit more.

Edited on by Klimbatize

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs. It's jolted by every pebble on the road.

3DS FC: 1332 7785 4494

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Relias

46. Posted:

CanisWolfred wrote:

@Relias Okay, I was hoping to avoid that argument. I really despise the thought that the worth of a game should be measured in the amount of hours a person spends with it. A game should be measured by the enjoyment you get out of it, and people can get enjoyment out of far more than just the gameplay in a video game. Story, graphics, music, cutscenes, it's all an integral part of the experience, and you're fooling yourself if you think otherwise. That's all I really have to say on the matter without going on a huge rant...

None of it matters if you get poor game play.. or a game that lasts for like four hours total that your playing it (Not watching it for 60 bucks) in addition.. would Halo and others be as popular without voices and movies?? Yes... after all it's not like Zelda, Mario, Pokemon, and Tetris, along with several other popular titles started out with voices and movies... actually one of the most popular games right now (Though I hate to say this.. but it's true) Angry Birds has no movies.. with very little in terms of total story and voices.. and look at how it's doing?? So what is my point.. several legendary franchises and even new hits became or becomes popular not because of movies.. but because of fun game play.. and that is all I am going to say on the matter.. end of story.. resting my case.. and done..

I am a wild and free Ninetails not a trainer.. get over it...

3DS Friend Code: 4570-6835-5697

AuthorMessage
Avatar

CanisWolfred

47. Posted:

Relias wrote:

CanisWolfred wrote:

@Relias Okay, I was hoping to avoid that argument. I really despise the thought that the worth of a game should be measured in the amount of hours a person spends with it. A game should be measured by the enjoyment you get out of it, and people can get enjoyment out of far more than just the gameplay in a video game. Story, graphics, music, cutscenes, it's all an integral part of the experience, and you're fooling yourself if you think otherwise. That's all I really have to say on the matter without going on a huge rant...

None of it matters if you get poor game play.. or a game that lasts for like four hours total that your playing it (Not watching it for 60 bucks) in addition.. would Halo and others be as popular without voices and movies?? Yes... after all it's not like Zelda, Mario, Pokemon, and Tetris, along with several other popular titles started out with voices and movies... actually one of the most popular games right now (Though I hate to say this.. but it's true) Angry Birds has no movies.. with very little in terms of total story and voices.. and look at how it's doing?? So what is my point.. several legendary franchises and even new hits became or becomes popular not because of movies.. but because of fun game play.. and that is all I am going to say on the matter.. end of story.. resting my case.. and done..

You're wrong on so many levels, I don't even know where to begin, but as its been said before, this isn't an argument worth having...so...good day.

Mecha Wolf Prime

Avid Fan of Anime, Webcomics, and Wolves
My Den - My door is always open....Too bad it's an empty closet.
My DeviantArt - I like to call it "the blank wall"

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi
Scary Wolfrun...
...Scared Wolfrun

Arooo~

AuthorMessage
Avatar

MAB

48. Posted:

Relias wrote:

None of it matters if you get poor game play.. or a game that lasts for like four hours total that your playing it (Not watching it for 60 bucks) in addition.. would Halo and others be as popular without voices and movies?? Yes... after all it's not like Zelda, Mario, Pokemon, and Tetris, along with several other popular titles started out with voices and movies... actually one of the most popular games right now (Though I hate to say this.. but it's true) Angry Birds has no movies.. with very little in terms of total story and voices.. and look at how it's doing?? So what is my point.. several legendary franchises and even new hits became or becomes popular not because of movies.. but because of fun game play.. and that is all I am going to say on the matter.. end of story.. resting my case.. and done..

This just won the argument ;)

MAB

AuthorMessage
Avatar

OptometristLime

49. Posted:

Withdrawing from conflict is not victory. :$

Miyamoto on his desire to focus more on the (hard)core Nintendo fan.

[The casual] attitude is, ‘okay, I am the customer. You are supposed to entertain me.’ [...] and to me it’s kind of a pathetic thing.

You are what you eat from your head to your feet.

AuthorMessage
Avatar

DawnOverALilly

50. Posted:

How did that win the argument? The most sold games are big on story and talking. How can ya argue with that?

Flandre- "I've been in the basement. For about 495 years."
Marisa- "That's sweet, I only get weekends off."
_
Marisa- It's so hot, I'm gonna die here.
Reimu- If you die, I'll feed your corpse to the birds.
Remilia- My, it'd be fine if you'd let me take care of that.
Marisa- That's a definite no.

AuthorMessage
Avatar

CanisWolfred

51. Posted:

DawnOverALilly wrote:

How did that win the argument? The most sold games are big on story and talking. How can ya argue with that?

Because Zelda.
even though Zelda probably sells better now than it did before, and was a revolutionary game in terms of story telling in games back when it first came out.

Mecha Wolf Prime

Avid Fan of Anime, Webcomics, and Wolves
My Den - My door is always open....Too bad it's an empty closet.
My DeviantArt - I like to call it "the blank wall"

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi
Scary Wolfrun...
...Scared Wolfrun

Arooo~

AuthorMessage
Avatar

DawnOverALilly

52. Posted:

CanisWolfred wrote:

DawnOverALilly wrote:

How did that win the argument? The most sold games are big on story and talking. How can ya argue with that?

Because Zelda.
even though Zelda probably sells better now than it did before, and was a revolutionary game in terms of story telling in games back when it first came out.

I do love zelda as much as the next person, but its just one game franchise and with the new zelda games they are putting more and more story/talking/cutseans and the like in it.

I really should stop debating lol.

Edited on by DawnOverALilly

Flandre- "I've been in the basement. For about 495 years."
Marisa- "That's sweet, I only get weekends off."
_
Marisa- It's so hot, I'm gonna die here.
Reimu- If you die, I'll feed your corpse to the birds.
Remilia- My, it'd be fine if you'd let me take care of that.
Marisa- That's a definite no.

AuthorMessage
Avatar

MAB

53. Posted:

MAB

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SCAR392

54. Posted:

@Relias
I think Rio counts as an Angry Bird movie.

$¢@®³’²

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Swiket

55. Posted:

It blows my mind how many games still don't have the option to pause cutscenes in the year 2013. Sorry, but doorbells and telephones wait for no man.

I had fun once and it was awful.

3DS Friend Code: 4828-4964-0323

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Jaz007

56. Posted:

@Relias Zelda is improving as it does more story, and I really liked the dialogue options in Skyward sword. Would Fire Emblem: Awakening been as good without the support conversations? No, it wouldn't have been as good of game. I'm also going to say that's view used to colorless and soundless and games used to be in not in 3D worlds. Heck, game used to not even have those fancy pixels that make up animations, just good old fashioned text. So do games (or movies) really need any of these fancy things? Not according to your logic.

Currently playing: Samurai Warriors 4, Dust: An Elysian Trail, and Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, and Super Smash Bros. (Wii U).

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SomeBitTripFan

57. Posted:

Regarding cutscenes in games, they're like chili pepper flakes. If you put them on certain foods, it makes them better, when you put it on the wrong foods, it becomes disgusting, but too much and it becomes a painful experience.

On topic, I agree on the idea of customizable controls. Also, any game that can support a traditional control scheme while remaining true to the original game, should support a standard controller.

Just Someloggery
You have the right to disagree with me and the ability to consider anything truly valid about what I say; Please exercise both.
A Vacation is a Click Away!
My Avatar: Where Doge Coin is Going
Where's the Poetry? I'm lazy.

Nintendo Network ID: SomeBitTripFan

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Relias

58. Posted:

CanisWolfred wrote:

Relias wrote:

CanisWolfred wrote:

@Relias Okay, I was hoping to avoid that argument. I really despise the thought that the worth of a game should be measured in the amount of hours a person spends with it. A game should be measured by the enjoyment you get out of it, and people can get enjoyment out of far more than just the gameplay in a video game. Story, graphics, music, cutscenes, it's all an integral part of the experience, and you're fooling yourself if you think otherwise. That's all I really have to say on the matter without going on a huge rant...

None of it matters if you get poor game play.. or a game that lasts for like four hours total that your playing it (Not watching it for 60 bucks) in addition.. would Halo and others be as popular without voices and movies?? Yes... after all it's not like Zelda, Mario, Pokemon, and Tetris, along with several other popular titles started out with voices and movies... actually one of the most popular games right now (Though I hate to say this.. but it's true) Angry Birds has no movies.. with very little in terms of total story and voices.. and look at how it's doing?? So what is my point.. several legendary franchises and even new hits became or becomes popular not because of movies.. but because of fun game play.. and that is all I am going to say on the matter.. end of story.. resting my case.. and done..

You're wrong on so many levels, I don't even know where to begin, but as its been said before, this isn't an argument worth having...so...good day.

I said I withdraw like I had thought you had formally done.. I just thought we should both get our final words on the issue before I did.. but however everyone wants to see it.. so be it..

I am a wild and free Ninetails not a trainer.. get over it...

3DS Friend Code: 4570-6835-5697

AuthorMessage
Avatar

GuSolarFlare

59. Posted:

completely optional tutorials, free bonus content(things like art and comments from the developers, by "free" I meant "not DLC" you know kind of like the bonus in guild02 games for those who have guild01 ones saved in the console) and a high level of customization(also completely optional as customization scares some people)


edit: the ability to skip cutscenes from the second playthough onwards would also be good....

Edited on by GuSolarFlare

I was once a fighter in spirit alone, but not long ago I found something that was missing and became a fighter in body and mind too.
looking forward to Codename S.T.E.A.M.
salty tears tenderize true beef
my Backloggery
my Banner made by Dark-Luigi!
My Galaxy Bio also by Dark-Luigi!

3DS Friend Code: 3995-7085-4333 | Nintendo Network ID: GustavoSF

AuthorMessage
Avatar

CanisWolfred

60. Posted:

Customization as in what, @GuSilverFlame? I don't think having a high level of customization everything would necessarily work for every game, IMO.

Edited on by CanisWolfred

Mecha Wolf Prime

Avid Fan of Anime, Webcomics, and Wolves
My Den - My door is always open....Too bad it's an empty closet.
My DeviantArt - I like to call it "the blank wall"

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi
Scary Wolfrun...
...Scared Wolfrun

Arooo~